How many hubs should a hubber write for one to earn?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ripplemaker profile image76
    ripplemakerposted 16 years ago

Hi, for a hubber to earn from writing on hubpages, is there some "guide or rule" as to how many hubs should one aspire to write in a span of a period (let say a week or a month?)

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Define "earn", please. The question is impossible to answer properly without that definition. smile

PS Jerrico, I was not able to read through your mountains of text once again sad

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
        Jerrico Usherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

its cool misha..

2. makemoneyonline profile image39
      makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

10 hubs in 5 months is not much. 10 hubs in 1 or 2 weeks would be more adequate.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image56
    Jerrico Usherposted 16 years ago

Yea about 200,000 or so, then you should start to see your earnings reach about 14.00 which you'll be ecstatic to see since before that the highest you'd see is .09 from 20,000 page hits across all hubs.

I'm of course kidding.

O.k. this question comes up a lot so I’m going to attack it nicely. Most people will tell you don’t worry about the money it will come and although this is very true, it’s a question of new Huber’s who start out here to make money, fascinated by the concept of writing and making money from an activity you already do and have done for years for not so much as a thank you.

I wont mention any real numbers other than my miniscule couple clicks, but I’ll help you wrap your head around the concept of how you can earn a lot or not from this endeavor.

Then you can get to the real business of making hubs and learning patience because after all patience is the only way you’ll earn money here.. but you will eventually make a lot..

Its not how many you write, its quality, subject matter, SEO (search engine optimized) link backs, (links to your hub from all over the web)- lets talk about link backs and "seasoning" a hub.

It takes time to do this; the easiest way to realize why the time is necessary is the link backs phenomenon. As your hub is there people find it (so use the SEO to get it noticed by Google algorithms) and start to tell a friend, like my hangover hub is spectacularly an in demand subject.. so much info on it but nothing on how it happens to you what’s chemically happening etc.. so my hub is unique in delivering this angle and the cures with proof for how they work by explaining it. Someone will undoubtedly go onto Google and type in hangover
    they will pull up my page and see it and think wow that’s awesome!

then they jump on yahoo messenger and send all their drinking buddies a link to the site in an offline message (instant message answering machine of sorts) Like I do when I find something spectacular at 3 am when the world is asleep (like right now?)

They will also probably put it on their myspace with a link in a blog and bulletin.

Their are a lot of ways they'd get this site to those friends. Because the videos and pictures drive the paragraphs to expression they will most likely not just copy the info but will want them to experience it like they did (another reason to use pictures and stimulating videos!)

as their friends wake up and click the link they too open their eyes wider and think holy shit this is tight! I got to tell my homies... So the process repeats several million people deep over the years... I call this "seasoning".

each of these is considered a link back (to my page), but it doesn’t always stop there, they want their buddies on myspace to see it so they blog it too, link to it in bulletins and a bulletin snowball may occur where the cool page is forwarded like crazy to 300,000 members potentially but realistically to about 10 million (*wink* I’m optimistic)

over the years this phenomenon continues until one day you open your hub stats and realize your getting 700,000 hits a month (one of our Huber’s experienced this) then at that point do the math.. The link backs are important because Google sees this as a sign that your hub is not only popular but that people are willing to tell others by adding links everywhere for it. Google crawls probably every page on the net so they know about every link back to your page and this ties into how valuable your page is. If your page follows the rules of their algorithm (informative, unique, lovely making your hub/site a quality page/product, realize to Google their product is your page, if someone puts hangover into the search engine and get crappy links at the top they will lose their place as the top search engine, so to keep their status they offer a substantial product (links to great pages on the first page of any search)

with this and substantial link backs your going to land on the first page for your keywords eventually and first page means those 700,000+ hits to your hub, then the numbers of clicks become phenomenal and thus payday is upon you. Realize that to Google paying you even a hundred thousand bucks for click through's is nothing compared to what they make off those ads.. be like you paying your friend 10.00 gas money for driving you a couple miles away, to you this is a relief, the bus sucks and taxi's smell smile and its only 10.00 of your nights earnings as a waitress (just using an example, I have no clue what you do) but to the friend, this pays for your ride home (the gas it takes) and still gives them an extra 4.00 in gas to go wherever.. its a deal that both parties love, to the friend this may be a really good deal, I know I love getting 10.00 when I only have to burn 2.00 in gas to take someone home!

so to Google this 100,000 is 10.00  when they make 2 Million from the traffic them and you drove to those advertisers. I'm sure you realize that if we make 1.00 Google probably made 3-10.00 a steal for them, and a pretty good deal to us right?

ok lets get into the calculator of projections:

Disclaimer: this is completely unrealistic, this is just an example to help you see how this whole deal works, as a newbie this to me is great to see as it helps you realize how it works so you don’t make unrealistic expectations.. you could make .02 a month even after having 1200 hubs although unlikely it happens if your hubs suck don’t follow Google algorithms, no link backs and so on. so its a balance between great pages, SEO, link backs, and hard work (you can push the seasoning process through faster by blogging on other sites then linking back to your own pages and so on.. their are alot of hubs that teach ALL of this so just start looking.. darkside is a great start, mark (you'll see him in here alot) has a great site on how to make it to the top of Google, and just start asking questions, they love to help here.

Example?

I got 900 page views/visitors/impressions and 2 measly clicks: income? about a buck thirteen (1.13) let's work with this miniscule number and blow it up:

700,000 hits Divided by 900 hit chunks = 777.7777777777777 ok sounds lucky lol..

Take that and round it up to 778

778 x our two clicks  = 1156 clicks per 700,000 visits (this is just projection data, this WONT happen it could be better or worse this is just for illustration purposes) (keep in mind some clicks earn you nothing, some .01 and some 1.00+ but for wrapping your head around the concept I'll illustrate this at .29 a click which is my current average (sucks huh but its all a numbers game, remember that, .01 x 1,000,000 is 10,000.00 dollars (10K) soooo.. anyway..

If trends for me stagnate to at least 2 clicks (@.29 per click or 58 cents income per 900 visitors) then If I got 700,000 hits and the trends stayed the same (2 clicks per 900 impressions (impressions are visitors to your page where the ads make an impression on them *smile*) then I'd make 58 cents x 778 = 451.00

Realize that if you get 700,000 hits your most likely going to get more than just 2 clicks per 900 views.. and if god is grateful for your taking care of his sheep with amazing hubs that show people how to be happy and chit, then you could (its possible but not probable) get (the potential of 700,000 visits is 700,000 ad clicks or more soooo:

700,000 x .01 (weee lets ride the worst case scenario (other than 0 ) bandwagon = 7 Grand baby!

or if you earn a dollar a hit/click that is.. that's a potential of almost a million bucks..

so you see its more than a get rich quick scheme, its more of a worry about hubs, write em write em write em, then when you have sufficient amount of them up start really learning SEO, keywords and link backs, social networks, book marking sites, and on and on, as you learn and optimize your hubs of old you will learn (practice makes habit forms) to write in SEO optimization formats from instinct, even if your spending all your conscious bandwidth writing the subject matter.

all of this leads to more visits which lead to more clicks which puts your destiny completely in your own hands.. work + time + learning every day + optimizing every day + adding Jerrico as your fan + reading all of his hubs + clicking all his ads = prosperity for us both smile (Kidding, you'll make some money too!) hehe..

Your profile page gets alot of hits too so make sure your presenting it nicely. add a link to signup affiliates part of your success is signing up Huber’s who will write alot of hubs, you should first learn how to do affiliate links and linking to others hubs as I try to do this in every hub because you get paid to send traffic to them if they get clicks! More potential.

Hope this manual helps you.

Jerrico

p.s. a tip I learned the hard way. Don't fight with Isabella, she'll hate you forever.. don’t get mad and express it in the forums, they'll rip you apart like rocky did that Russian boxer in rocky 4, of course if you show that you can admit to your mistakes they'll pass you some Neosporin but why go there? Realize were all writers and with this skill set comes opinionated views, that feel rigid at times but you get used to it. No one in here is ever mad unless you show your a**.. so keep it clean, I want to see a clean fight, no kicking in the nards and lets all get along.

3. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 16 years ago

I'm thinking that someone who has been here five weeks and only has 14 hubs, but about 20 times the number of forums posts isn't exactly an expert on the topic of actually making money big_smile

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
      Jerrico Usherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You sound like a real sweet heart, but absolutely have no idea about life if that's your honest opinion. I find it insulting that you would judge someone for trying to help someon soley based on their time and hubtivity on this service? You have no idea what experience I have in earning money, and your ignorant statement only shows a reflection of your own internal opinion of yourself.  you got some nerve, joining the ranks of Isa?

1. embitca profile image84
        embitcaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

1. You aren't helpful.

2. I've been in the ranks of Isa for awhile now.

2. Isabella Snow profile image85
        Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Its time you stopped discussing me - Im sure you can be a prat without using my name.

Speaking of nerve, you take the cake with your MySpace claims of having gone to grad school and earning 250,000 a year with your company The Jerrico Effect, Inc.

Unless your grad degree is in Home Economics, I call bollocks. I know 10 year old Czech children who have a better grasp of English than you do - no way would you get past Comp. I

That said, I could pretend not to notice these things if you, A: Stopped referring to me when I'm not even involved in the conversation and B: Developed some social skills.

You are welcome to reply with one of your epic, rambling, nonsensical posts, as I will take great pleasure in not bothering to read it.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
          Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

This seems to be the party line, or should be.

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Ripplemaker - It's kind of a vague question.

And at the risk of starting another argument:

Jerrico - It's not really cool that Misha was unable to wade through your post. I had the same problem. You could have probably said what you said in a tenth of the space. Several people to my knowledge have politely asked that you reduce the size of  your posts.

And as far as giving advice on making money on hubpages, it's fair to say you do not have much experience smile You have only been here five minutes and have added considerably more text to the forums than your hubs. You may well have made lots of money else where but this question was aimed specifically at hubpages. smile

I said before that I like you, and I do. I am more than happy to help you with any thing I can. I may even learn something back from you, but please - Cut down the size of the posts so they are more readable.

Thanks

5. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

Hi Ripplemaker, well a few ripples are starting in this forum lol, the short answer to your question is you could write 1 hub and make money from it, if it gets picked up by the search engines and placed on the first or second page of search terms. on the other hand though you could write 100, 1 line hubs and never make a cent.......jimmy

6. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

Man-Oh-Man! I hate this fighting back and forth. Jericho, sorry but you lose me everytime I see that it's a new rewrite of the worlds thickest tome. I know long winded when I see it because I can be that too but even I know the limits..if I have nothing to say I just shut up
    regards Zsuzsy

Ripplemaker to get back to you I read somewhere in Paul Edmondson s HUB that                 3-4 hubs per week was a good start to earn some money. This is info from up above...Check out   "How to make a worthy hub" by the boss man himself
    regards Zsuzsy

7. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Jerrico - please spare us the verbiage. Thanks.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Coming back to the original question - if I may smile

People, please notice that Ripplemaker is no newbie to Hubpages. She is here longer than many of those trying to answer here - myself included. And she was active doing very good hubs - but not posting on the forums wink

That's why I asked her, and I repeat here - Ripplemaker, could you please clarify you question, so we can try to answer it? What do you mean by "earn"?

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Jerrico, you know we've discussed your long forum posts in the past and I've tried to help you with editing ideas.  Somehow, you need to learn to stop your enthusiasm running away with you! 

If you want to give such detailed advice to one particular person, then why don't you do what you did for me once - use the email function to send an email to that individual? 

Can I suggest you make a rule for yourself?  Your forum post should always fit inside the Message box.  As soon as you see the scroll bar activate, stop!   If you look at everyone else's posts, you'll see not many people make posts longer than that.  If they do, it's because they've included a quote from someone else.

As for earning - I do agree with some of the points you made.  It's not just about the number of Hubs, but the choice of topics, SEO, and promoting your work.  I write about topics I like, never think about SEO and do almost no promotion, and I've made $17 in 3 months from 49 Hubs.  I have no idea how much that would improve if I was willing to do the boring stuff!

10. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Looking at the top 100 Hubbers of all time in terms of traffic, the number of hubs they've created ranges from 2 to over 1000 with the median at around 90.  Earning isn't so much about how many hubs you create, but how much traffic you get to them and the subject matter (which affects how much you earn from advertisements).

If earning is truly your goal, there are all kinds of techniques that are effective for increasing your traffic.  Some of them are pretty easy, such as picking good titles.  Others involve a fair amount of dedication.  If you're interested in learning more, I'm sure Misha, Mark, Darkside, et al. can help point you in the right direction.

11. ripplemaker profile image76

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for joining the ripples of discussion.  No intention of making you guys fight.  :-( 

Misha, this question popped up because I spend many hours in a preschool and at night, I sometimes visit some people who are "sick" and do hands on healing.  Other times I am involved in a musical play (to earn extra money and share to the preschool to keep it running) I may have signed up earlier than you guys but I just have a few hubs (due to time constraint and research takes time.  So compared to a lot of you--I am amazed you could write so much) So I had to ask, does earning (define earn? :-)  the act of receiving money from one's work/service rendered or product bought.. in whatever amount) have to be related with the number of hubs you write?   

Jimmy thanks for clearing this one by your simple answer.  I got that. 

Marisa, $17 in 3 months for 49 hubs...hmmmm...thanks for that input

Zsuzsy, I will read that article by Paul later (got to rush now for the preschool)

Jerrico, thanks for the help although I DID have a hard time reading through it.  And :-) stop picking on Isabella.

(Gosh..I hope the kids in school are not in a fighting mood today.) You guys take care.  :-)

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

This could be my ESL - I just wanted to make sure I understand the question before I try to answer smile

Now that I do - yes, I agree to Jimmy then.

Start with the keyword research, and if you do it right, every hub will bring you traffic and money. You saw several threads of the guys being proud of being on the first page of google - and at the same time being puzzled with almost non-existent traffic. Keyword research is the key to avoid this...

Every niche has keywords that are actively searched for and, at the same time, have relatively low competition. Find those and write accordingly - and you have enough money to open your very own private school smile

13. ripplemaker profile image76

Misha, What's an ESL?  (sowee lack of net linggo or whatever you guys call it) ...  thanks for the tip.  Okay will try to work on this slowly but surely :-)  I do own the school partly.  Just in case you want to know, we don't charge high tuition fees to allow students of average income sectors to enroll as well...so I'm trying to raise funds to buy a playground this year. :-)  Thanks again for the help.  I hope my hubs become better and hopefully earn in the future.

14. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

English as a Second Language.

15. ripplemaker profile image76

oh ok. :-)  thanks isabella

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)