THEOLOGY IN CHRISTIAN CONTEXT

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Osa Osazuwa-Tosan profile image60
    Osa Osazuwa-Tosanposted 15 years ago

Eager to learn the meaning of the word, "THEOLOGY" and its relationship to Christianity, I searched through the dictionary and got the following definition:

"The study or a system of theistic (esp. Christian) religion" . I went on to look up the word, "THEISM" and it reads: "Belief in gods or a god, esp. a supernatural revealed god to man". SOURCE - THE OXFORD DICTIONARY OF CURRENT ENGLISH, REVISED 2ND EDITION, EDITED BY DELLA THOMPSON.

My point of interest is the word "theism" from where "theistic" derives. From the meanig of theism here, we have to contend with 'gods' or "a god", and not the Most Holy God of the Bible, to whom Christianity owes its origin and existence, of whom Christians are offsprings, and to whom they owe absolute reverential attention in obedience and adoration; or worship.

It is this atheistic view that unsettles me, and I'm sure, all serious minded Christians. Christians do not believe in gods or for that matter a god. And Christianity is not, in the first instance, a study, but the acceptance of divine love through Christ, which brings about subsequent SPIRITUAL ENLIGHTENMENT TO THE FAITHFUL by divine providence.

To this end, THEOLOGY in the Christian context, is THE ANALYSIS OF CHRISTIANITY AS A DISCIPLINE OF HUMAN STUDY, WITHOUT THE UNCONDITIONAL DESIRE TO LIVE PRACTICALLY BY ITS ESSENTIAL DIVINE DEMANDS.

Christianity is not and cannot be reduced to a mere analysis (no matter how detailed and seemingly useful they may be) of intellectual and academic facts without the living experience of the "LIFE HID WITH CHRIST IN GOD". In other words, CHRISTIANITY IS NOT THE RULES, BUT THE EXPERIENCE; IT IS NOT THE THEORY, BUT THE PRACTICE OF THE OF CHRIST.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Why does the atheistic view "unsettle," you?

Osa Osazuwa-Tosanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The word atheistic unsettles me because the God I know and serve as a Christian is ONE GOD. And I'm speaking strictly in the Christian context as the title makes quite clear.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But why would you be unsettled by this? The atheistic view is that there is NO GOD.

We make no distinction between your little god and all the other gods.

You and I are both atheists - I just believe in one less god than you do big_smile

3. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

Did you think that the English language sprang fully formed into existence like Athena from the head of Zeus?

It's a mashup of two ancient Greek words: theos (god) and logos (study, study of). The Greeks were pagan, in case you didn't notice. The word theology was first used by Plato, hundreds of years before Christ's birth. The use of the word and others based on the root word "theos" is not specific to Christianity, so unless you want to make up your own special Christian language, I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal with the fact that Christianity is not, in fact, the only religion in the world, nor is it the only one to which the English language applies.

The word God, by the way, comes from "gott," the word for God used by the Germanic tribes of Northern Europe. Who were also pagan, incidentally. And it is believed to be related to the Persian (pagan, then Muslim!) khoda and the Sanskrit (also pagan!) hu or gheu.

Thanks for your indepth but concise analysis of the word and the history of religion(s).

It is not out of place to have a language for Christianity because language is actually relative to culture. In any case Christianity already has its own language - the language of SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE. And of course language is not finite, so it can still be developed based of true knowledge.

My concern is in not muddling Christianity up with the myriads of religions. Christianity is actually not within the realm of religion as men know it. This is what I tried to make clear in my presentation.

4. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Christianity, like every single other religion in the universe, is the creation of the hearts and minds of men.  No outside forces cause you to believe the way you do, there is only perception and interpretation.  I do wish you well on your spiritual path, but please realize that not everything relating to religion belongs to Christianity.  There were other religions before Christianity, and there will be other religions after it. wink

That's precisely the point. Religions have been and will continue to come and go as you say. But Christianity, the REALITY OF THE LIFE OF GOD IN MAN THROUGH THE PRESENCE OF HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON JESUS CHRIST IN THE MIDST OF MEN BY THE LOVE OF GOD, will continue to be just that
      GOD BLESS!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)