Best background for a governor or POTUS?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

We've had some very interesting professions transition into US politics.
    Ronald Reagan -- actor turned governor turned president
    Jessie Ventura -- wrestler turned governor
    Al Franken -- political comedian turned senator
    Ahnold -- actor (Terminator) turned governor
    John Glenn -- astronaut turned senator
    Kevin Johnson -- basketball player turned mayor

In California, we have the founder of ebay (Meg Whitman) running for governor and Carly Fiorina, former head of HP running for senator. The message here is business experience is important.

There are many more examples (feel free to name your faves).

There are obviously advantages to being an "insider" and to being an "outsider" in politics.

What background do YOU think is most suitable for someone running for state governor? How about for president?

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pink for both? wink

2. weholdthesetruths profile image61
      weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There really isn't any "background" that makes one into a super governor or president.   There are helpful things.  One would be that the person is not born into wealth and has never had it in any great amounts.   But that's only vaguely helpful.   

What presidents and governors mostly need to know, is to understand the effect of governance upon the people they govern.    This means not just having "experience" at business management, but understanding how people react, what they do when they react, and how those things affects everyone else.    It is not a simple "x plus y equals z" type of equation.   

Perhaps we can best explain it, by providing an example of the worst kind.  Obama.   Obama's background was that for all of his childhood, he was raised in broken families, most outside the country, and never as any functional or productive situation.   His youth was spent doing drugs and goofing off, hanging around the other malcontents who brainwashed themselves into thinking their crazy ideas and ideologies were what would save the nation.   They were the self professed "smart kids" who lived off trust funds and other people's money, and yet, hated the world around them.   
      Since then, Obama has never had a position of productivity.  He has never built anything, has never done anything useful, has no experience in business, economics, finance, nor anything else that would expose him to the normal workings of everyday Americans.   He's never been a leader of people, he has never been responsible to accomplish anything, and has never experienced the educational aspects of try, fail, learn, try, fail, learn, try again that most of us have gone through and have taught us to be prudent, frugal, careful, and can predict the outcome of situations, based upon much experience and observation. 

Thus, Obama is utterly clueless.   But he doesn't know that.  He still believes that the radical ideas and silly nonsense from those he has hung around are actually wise and effective.   Thus, he is completely unable to recognize his failures to lead, he doesn't know how to DO anything, and thus has done nothing good, and yet, still continues to talk the game, as if somehow he's the paragon of wisdom. 

Contrast that with someone who grew up in a middle class family, has been part of the famly business, be it a farm or sales or making something.   Who went to school, took it seriously and understood how to apply what he learned academically to what he already observed in business and in relationships between people and entities.   Then,  found his talents and used them to make his own mark in the world.   

I could have told you Obama would be abject disaster,  simply by his history.   Many tried.   Now wer're stuck with the most incompetent president of our lifetime, during the time when we need a good one more than at any time since FDR (who was also seriously incompetent).

2. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

Sadly, I don't believe that the criteria for being electable (i.e. popular and/or good looking on TV) is the same criteria for being a good leader (i.e. making sure that you do what you know is right, and still take the peoples' will into consideration. Casting a realistic and still idealistic vision and inspiring people to follow through on it.)

I think people should have to show competence in whatever job they are given an opportunity to apply for ... elections are about raising and spending money, not about showing ability to govern.

The short answer is ... it doesn't matter, because the ability to fund raise is more important than the ability to govern.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Misha -- Zinger! That was priceless! Thanks for the laugh big_smile.

BDazzler -- So basically what you are saying is what is bothering me SO much about the current CA governor election.
    It's entirely possible to buy the office.
    And what does it say about our values (not our "family" values but our personal values) that we rate candidates on how good looking they are on TV or their YouTube videos?
    That is just so wrong on so many levels!

Thanks, guys, for answering. I think I'm gonna go back and talk about kids' breakfast cereals now. At least it doesn't make me depressed!

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, theoretically, since these people were CEO's they at least have SOME leadership experience. (As opposed to say, Ahnold )...

So, I would say that, while yes, it's possible to buy an election (in fact, that's about the only way to get elected) at least they have SOME leadership experience at something.

What you really want to do for the CEO/Founder types is take a look at the companies and ask yourself honestly, is that the type of place I would like to work?

If the answer is yes, then, you've got a better chance at good government than you have with Conan the Barbarian.

Personally, it seems to me that Carly Fiorina should run for Governor and Meg Whitman should run for senator.

The business experience of a head of a business is more like governing and pursuing a new idea to completion is more valuable in legislation.

Since these two are presumably running on their own dime, it is unlikely that they will be as easily influenced by lobbyists. On the other hand, since they don't need anything from anybody, it is possible that they can disregard the will of the people.

Sadly, there's not a good answer.

4. luvpassion profile image61
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

Don't forget Fred Thompson. smile

My favorite old-guy actor/politician.

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't he become an actor after he was a politician?

1. luvpassion profile image61
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so, I know he was a Tennesse senator, I meant to ask. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)