Sarah Palin has just resigned as Governor of Alaska

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 102 discussions (453 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Currently under 13 ethics investigations...McCain and staff now full-on against her.

Aren't you glad we voted Obama in?

1. profile image48
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can I quote you that in 2 years time !

1. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Two years time, I'm more concerned about what'll go down next year.

2. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto on this... figuring this is ahead of some corruption scandal.  resignation means it's a cinched thing and we'll probably know pretty soon why.

it's not for a 2012 run, it's way too early for that and as you mentioned, she's under multiple corruption investigations and has been since her insane VP bid.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Methinks Palin is about to have her real morals on the washing line for all to see. About time.

1. profile image0

could be wrong, but that's my guess.  I'm not thinking an affair, although that is possible.  I'm thinking ethics offense will be the 'why'.

3. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

15, all dismissed.

4. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure... the Obama cabinet can't figure out their own income taxes, the Vice President tells us that they "guessed wrong" about the economy, and a bigoted woman is nominated for the Supreme Court. It's all good!

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So...it's much better, with all the problems we are facing, to at least have intelligent people in the white house, I'd imagine.

I cannot believe, nicomp, that you believe your own 'rhetoric,' which is overly, overly partisan.  Maybe just for fun?  A good read by a conservative that has produced a couple books on conservatism and is the editor of The Atlantic:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/t … .html#more

1. tksensei profile image60

LOL! Unlike everyone else here?

5. my-success-guru profile image57
      my-success-guruposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WOW!!!

1. my-success-guru profile image57

should be interesting to see how this unfolds!

1. profile image0

Agreed.  Because even if I don't like it, she definitely has become something of an icon.

smile

6. The Shark profile image59
      The Sharkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes Lita, we are thrilled Obama is in. I just look at all of the great things that have been accomplished and thank God every day for sending us his second son, who ever knew he had another one?
      Just look at all the great stuff:
      4 Trillion in new spending. But wasn't it 3 trillion?? Yes three trillion for our bailout and while apolgozing to the Eurpoeans for us being Americans he committed us to 1 trillion to the world wide bailout----after all we are now Citizens of the world. I guess Michael Jackson was right after all---"We are the world, We are the children...) So do I still need one of those pesky passports to travel?
      (funny how the libs complained we  couldn't afford 469 Billion over 7 years for national defense but 4 trillion in 100 days---no problem) If your under 40 your share of the pay back,(according to the non partisan CBO),  in new taxes will only be $152,000. Not bad.
      Then there is the take over of the Health Care Industry--=Gee they do such a good job with Medicare, medicade, fanny mac, frddie mac, and social security, why not give them health care to? (CBO says medicare and medicade are close to bankrupt--wonder where that new money will come from??).
      Then we had the take over of GM, never thought in my life I would see the US gov't make a hostile take over of a co. (1st time in US history bankruptcy case, secured creditors have taken a back seat to non-secured creditors. Indiana funds a secured creditor was put at the end of the pay back line behind non-secured creditors, resulting in pending law suites against the Gov't)
      The only good thing about that is Indiana funds is the fund for the teachers union, you know they all voted Obama--lol
      Then there was the great reversal of the exec. order to drill our own oil. Why would we want to do that?? Now that Obama has apolgized to the all of the Middle East on our behalf they love us so much they agreed to keep oil at $50. per barrel for ever right?

Thank you God, do you have a third son? Your 2nd one can only be President for two terms.

The Shark---asking who should we apolgize to next?

7. my-success-guru profile image57

WOW amazing this happened!

1. profile image0

wink

2. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

It sounds like a very good thing.  Thanks for sharing the news.

3. profile image0

This is the part where we dems (and many others) say, "I told you so."  lol wink

4. profile image53
    waleedchandaposted 14 years ago

Hi,

I am new here and i want to know how i new thread

5. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Something smells wrong about this resignation. Someone has dirty laundry on her or the husband and she's going to make a quick getaway..... smile

1. lisafwg01 profile image60
      lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is far more likely (not that she's above having a scandal or two tucked away..just that they probably would have surfaced by now if they were going to) that she's resigned so that she can line her wallet with money from personal appearances, speaking engagements (LMAO at the thought!) and, perhaps, her own spot on a conservative "news" program.

As Governor she wouldn't be able to do that.

Thankfully, this move, IMO, will prevent her from being a viable candidate for Pres or VP in the future; that's the good news. The bad news is that she'll probably pop up with her own talk show or something in the very near future.

2. secondreview profile image59
      secondreviewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I've been thinking too

6. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Beginning of 2012 campaign?

1. Capable Woman profile image61
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No chance. A half term "quitter" governor with no other accomplishments for prez.? I think not.

1. profile image0

Um, yeah.  I think the writing is on the wall there, for all who have eyes to see.  And thankfully!

2. tksensei profile image60

Probably not the top spot, but she might still jockey for the VP.

7. HealthCare Basics profile image60

Maybe staying home will give her time to quick study how government works, world leader's names, and geography...  smile

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She's got a lot of ground to cover!

1. JonTutor profile image61
        JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still won't help... maybe a brain transplant would work...LOL

8. anothermathgeek profile image74
    anothermathgeekposted 14 years ago

Most likely, this was done because there was too much money being offered to her.

As governor, she would have to limit her lecture fees and any TV opportunities.  With this resignation, she's free to cash in without fear of a conflict of interest.

Her presidential ambitions are toast but as a recognized name, she will make plenty of dough appearing on Fox News and perhaps working as a lobbyist.

Sounds like it was too much money being cost her.

2. Cdejarnatt profile image69
      Cdejarnattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

3. Frieda Babbley profile image81
      Frieda Babbleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very good point.  Hmmm.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Pundits are all over this, mostly thinking it's a shit poor way to go out from governorship, even if her ambitions are to run for president in 2012.

She claims she doesn't need a "title" to "help people." Right, Sarah. And that most DEFINITELY includes ANY public office.

Buh bye.

P.S. No one had better dare make further comparisons to Hillary Clinton or I personally with come and punch them out.

1. onthewriteside profile image61
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would never compared that lying, two-faced, band-wagon jumping, scandalous, criminal to....Sarah Palin!

Relax dude... go easy on Hillary... IMO Sarah is way too entertaining to fade into sunset... what would politics be without comedians like Bush/Palin.....LOL

1. maven101 profile image71
          maven101posted 14 years agoin reply to this

JonTutor wrote:
          Relax dude... go easy on Hillary... IMO Sarah is way too entertaining to fade into sunset... what would politics be without comedians like Bush/Palin.....LOL

Hey Dude...Surely you mean without Biden/Pelosi/Reid and that bumbling blowhard,( pun intended ), Frank..?

Why are people in such fear of a strong woman that doesn't play the beltway games ? Quit whalen' on Palin !!!

Sarah... Strong woman..... thanks for the laughs....LOL

1. profile image0

No freakin' kidding.  Strong?  I think some political figure once said, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."  Truly.  People.  Would you really want someone who cannot take the heat as a governor of a small state running the entire COUNTRY.  This is beyond mere partisanship here, folks.  The woman simply hasn't got it.

She's embarrassing as any kind of leader. But I agree with John, here.  She's much too entertaining to fade from the scene...  Most likely, I'm thinking that a deal was struck...those indictments will just fade away if you agree to resign.  Something of that nature.

More than anybody else McCain must be ruing his chances... I felt McCain was a decent guy... this "Strong woman" being a heart beat away from Presidency must have freaked out most folks.

1. profile image0

You are correct, JT.  It did his bid in.

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Doesn't she look like Hilary? wink

If Hillary looked like her maybe Bubba wouldn't have been chasing chubby interns around the White House. Oh, and Hillary would now be president.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

1. profile image0

And I really don't get a woman (I'm sorry) who thinks that kind of severely sexist comment is funny.  ?

11. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Just messin' with MightyMom TK, no political context smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image77

Sorry for the delay. I had to go write a poem about my favorite female politician (NOT).

Misha -- I can't think of any witty retort to Doesn't Sarah look like Hillary. Yeah, like a Corvette looks like a Saab. They're both cars, but there the comparison ends.

TK -- I'm not quite following. I honestly don't think it would have mattered how Hillary looked. Bill Clinton is the kind of man who has a wandering libido. And please explain to me what you meant by "and Hillary would now be president." She would be president if what? Oh well. doesn't matter.

True, but when the home team is a 'specimen' that looks like Hillary, the bar is set so low that any pudgy intern will do. That's gonna up the percentages.

If Hillary looked like Sarah Palin she would now be President of these United States.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

TK, I beg to differe. If Hillary Clinton looked like Sarah Palin she would not be president. Because she never would have met or married Bill Clinton, as she wouldn't have gone to Yale Law School. So she would never have been first lady of Arkansas or of the United States to give her the experience and contacts to run for US Senate or president.

I have seen Hillary in person and she is actually much softer and prettier than she looks in the media.

Well that's a good point. She would have been pretty far out of Bubba's league before he got some attractive political power.

14. Mighty Mom profile image77

As to Palin and her ethics violations/investigations, I find it extremely "noble" of her to step down so that the citizens of Alaska are not paying their hard-earned tax dollars for the investigation. She cited something like $2million so far.

Yes, she and Todd no doubt have large legal bills. So she has to get out there and write a book so she can make a bunch of ching to pay her lawyers.

What kind of governor decides the best way to serve the people of her state is to abruptly resign mid-term? I don't buy it. She doesn't want to help anyone but herself.

1. profile image0

I thought that was true of her throughout her VP run and the latest leaks on her 'rogue' status of that time certainly lends to the belief.

15. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I never thought Hillary was bad looking to be honest.  Sort of got tired of men making fun of her appearance.  Monica was not bad looking either, so I think the references to her weight are sort of silly.  Yes maybe she is not rail thin, but I think it is ridiculous that people care about her appearance so much.

You are not men-folk. It may not be fair but it is what it is.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well considerate men I know do not make those type of comments, or they are considerate enough to keep that information to themselves.  Why are you always sticking up for the unkind comments people make?

I don't recognize things to make anyone feel bad, just trying to be honest.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
            SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay at least you are being honest.

2. profile image0

My bf (of course, a handsome man) cannot stand Sarah Palin.  Says she is 'not all that,' and that her lack of intelligence and decency make her downright ugly.  Said her resignation speech (he listened to it) was the worst thing he ever heard.

And see how 'fair' it was that she WAS NOT elected.  Who'd want someone like that running the country?  Not the majority of men.  Only the idiots, obviously...

1. profile image0

And you are....well, we know what you look like, wink.

And those were Matt's exact words.  Would you like to see a photo of my handsome guy, hmmm, trollsensei?

Really? How is that?

No, no thanks.

16. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

I fail to see what appearance has to do at all with being a good leader.

That's actually an interesting question.

17. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Look at Obama tongue

1. profile image0

I think his arrogance is rather attractive.

2. Jewels profile image82
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He's pretty nice eye candy isn't he?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am drooling tongue

18. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL can't argue against this one smile

19. my-success-guru profile image57
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

Does anyone know exactly what happened???

20. dawei888 profile image60
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

Most pundits - even contributors to the infamous FOX NEWS are saying that Palin made a "bad move" by stepping down - makes her look like a quitter - and i agree.

that said, people are OBSESSED with her! she could easily go on TV like Huckabee and make millions.

21. Mighty Mom profile image77

I think it's pretty obvious that certain people are attracted to Sarah Palin because (besides being an ex-beauty queen) she is rugged and folksy and "just plain folks." I guess that makes her a populist.

Obama, on the other hand, appeals to a wide cross-section of people. What others describe as his arrogance I describe as his intelligence. The man is smart and approaches problems with a calmness that is reassuring. He and his family have class. I guess saying that makes me an elitist.

Bill Clinton is said to be amazingly charismatic in person. I know Hillary is. But TK, you said above that if Hillary had looked like Sarah Palin she would have been pretty far out of Bubba's league until he got some attractive political power.

Again, if Hillary's only claim to fame was having Sarah Palin's looks she and Bill most likely would never have given each other the time of day. But don't forget that in addition to Yale Law School Bill is also a Rhodes Scholar. He'd tolerate a woman like Palin for all of 5 seconds. Unless, of course, she's as good with her throat as she is with her winks.

Did I say that?

Not "each other," SHE would never have given him the time of day.

LOL! You do know who Bubba is, right?

That's nice. Are you always this bitter towards women more physically attractive than yourself?

22. Mighty Mom profile image77

I think it's pretty obvious that certain people are attracted to Sarah Palin because (besides being an ex-beauty queen) she is rugged and folksy and "just plain folks." I guess that makes her a populist.

Obama, on the other hand, appeals to a wide cross-section of people. What others describe as his arrogance I describe as his intelligence. The man is smart and approaches problems with a calmness that is reassuring. He and his family have class. I guess saying that makes me an elitist.

Bill Clinton is said to be amazingly charismatic in person. I know Hillary is. But TK, you said above that if Hillary had looked like Sarah Palin she would have been pretty far out of Bubba's league until he got some attractive political power.

Again, if Hillary's only claim to fame was having Sarah Palin's looks she and Bill most likely would never have given each other the time of day. But don't forget that in addition to Yale Law School Bill is also a Rhodes Scholar. He'd tolerate a woman like Palin for all of 5 seconds. Unless, of course, she's as good with her throat as she is with her winks.

1. profile image0

You are right, actually, MM, about Clinton.  I read his biography.  His mother actually didn't like Hillary, because she expected a prettified idiot for a daughter in law.  His reply was that he was tired of "beauty queens" and that Hillary met him on his level.  ...so yes, he maybe would have tolerated Palin for....well, however long it takes, wink, not that long....as he was a terrible womanizer who had some issues (he himself said that he was always the "fat band boy," so that when he gained some claim to fame, the attention from women was a bit overwhelming, and he gave into trying to ameliorate his insecurities).

LOL! Oh yeah, that fits his history of behavior alright! LOL!

1. profile image0

You do not read much.  As if I didn't know.

To spell it out...one has to I guess with you...and to be quite blunt:  Hillary is the kind of woman one would marry--an equal, a partner.  Someone whose interesting qualities goes beyond mere physical beauty (which is great and all, don't get me wrong, wink, but if that's all there is to a person, they get old VERY, very fast.)  Hence, yep, Bubba, with his womanizing ways based in insecurity, might screw around with tacky 'beauty queens,' with their fake boobs, and this and that and high maintenance hair extensions, etc., etc.--I could go on, but that's about his problem--not Hillary's.

It's funny how those who never get much you know what always assume womanizing is so much greater than what it is...just an observation.  I had to work a concert event last night and met some suicide blond groupies hanging around the star.  Man!  They look like drag queens close up with all the paint and etc.

Here we go again...  roll

If you have the time, could you tell us again how much your Jr High teacher liked your writing? Or how about the great accomplishment of reading the newspaper in high school? That's always a good one for impressing the masses.

1. profile image0

You may look up my books on Amazon.com, trollsensei. 

And since I am qualified to teach writing, I'd give your displays here on Hubpages an F.  I've seen better among 8th grade essay exams that scored 2 on a scale of 1-5.  A fact, 'Holy crap.'  Stick to sport bars.  That's more your crowd.  I hear they have a real cool one over there in Redneckaville, AK that Palin frequents.  wink

LOL! I can look up a lot of things on Amazon...

That's great, tell me more.

Keep going, you're doing great. Make sure everyone gets a good look.

1. profile image0

I'm not at all worried.  You see the extent of Palin sympathizers here...  I can't remember which comic newscaster actually went to Palin's berg in Alaska and interviewed the denizens of the sports bar in town.  The utterances were similar to yours, hence, my comment, wink.  BTW, my partner lived in Palin's hometown.  Pretty good second hand account of what we are dealing with here...  They are still splitting up the territory and settling it.

As far as your 'writing,' and I lose the term loosely, it is a barebones fact that it is pretty monosyllabic.  I've seen, literally, 5th graders with more variety in vocabulary.  Definite 'F.'

You "lose the term loosely" huh? LOL. Thank goodness I have such a careful writer to evaluate me. LOL. Some real variety in vocabulary there alright. LOL.

roll

23. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

While I can't say I was surprised about the resignation, I know it has made a lot of peoples' day. No comment about that. wink

Did want to chip in about the ethics charge.

I haven't been following these particular ethics charges that closely, but from what I've read, they've all been dismissed. I'm not defending Palin here, because again I haven't read all the details, but, I thought some people might be interested in how the ethics process really works behind closed doors. (It needs reform)

Based upon my personal experiences with my state's ethics commission, this means that these 13 charges were frivolous or at the very least, unsubstantiated. Again, haven't taken the time to read about all of them, so what do I know. I'm just someone who used to attend all the ethics meetings and a lot of hearings in my state.

It sounds pretty negative when someone is being investigated, even more so if you use the word ethics. It's a common strategy used. You file an ethics complaint, no matter what the charge and no matter how miniscule it is. When your opponent is in the headlines for "So and so had an ethics charge filed against them today.", well, that's priceless. It's very frustrating.

The fact of the matter is that frivolous ethics charges are filed on almost a daily basis across the nation for really dumb reasons, by both sides. I've had to deal with my share of them. I've had to testify many times before the ethics board in my state and have been caught in the middle of things that sound a lot worse than what they really are. Other times, things are so hilarious even the board can barely keep a straight face. It's become a joke.

I appreciate campaign ethics boards, because obviously we need checks and balances, but improving the system would be VERY beneficial to taxpayers and the political process.

Just my two cents.

1. profile image0

News to everyone:  It's a federal investigation for fraud, among other things.

As I said, I researched her very well.  There were multitudes of Palin-gates.  I'm sure its a combination of things.  And would those who are partisan towards the Republicans like to explain McCain's new animosity towards the woman?

Sometimes it isn't the 'unfair media,' or the partisan other side, or bad wording.  Sometimes the pol is and idiot and is dirty.  And this is the case here.

1. Anolinde profile image79
        Anolindeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean the federal investigation that the FBI spokesman personally came out and said that Sarah Palin is NOT under investigation?  So, no, that wasn't "news" .. it was a rumor.

Correct, all 'maybies' aside.

Good post.

24. Jake Duke profile image60
    Jake Dukeposted 14 years ago

I was a pretty big Sarah Palin fan until yesterday. I still admire her but her speech was a rambling mess and I generally don't like quitters. I think this goofy move has just ended her national hopes.

25. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

rumor has it to expect federal indictments for embezzlement, independent sources.

1. profile image0

Bingo.  You got it Iounn...  And racketeering.  Unfortunately, from my research on Palin, she's likely not to know exactly what she did 'wrong.'  She's an idiot in over her head.  What always struck me about her, however, is how dead thrilled she was about all the accoutrements that accompany power and fame. wink

1. profile image0

what stuns me is how many americans will buy the package knowing it's empty.  I find that deeply depressing.

I'm a fast researcher and I scan news throughout the day.  It's a rare thing when some big news gets by me first. tongue

26. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I think it's a big mistake to write her off as a 2012 Presidential candidate. The recession will almost certainly become more severe in 2010 and by 2011 people will be talking about the 2012 election and nothing else. Not only that, I think people will be desperate and angry by then, so Palin's mean-spirited Church-lady rhetoric might fly. How did Hitler come to power? The German people were dispirited by horrendous devaluation of their money and by losing face in the eyes of the world. They wanted a scapegoats and a leader who would tell them how great they were no matter how irrational that sounded.

By 2011 the U.S. will be ripe for fascism, we will be right where Germany was when Hitler can to power. Anyone who tells us we are great and everything that has happened is someone else's fault will get a lot of support, and Palin will be well-positioned to be the one saying those things and blaming anyone who is different.

To write her off is to overestimate the intelligence of the American people and underestimate the right wing backlash that is currently building day by day.

1. profile image0

And maybe that's why the feds are planning to take her down, Pam.  Yes, a good spin on what's happening with Palin's resignation is all over the major networks, and of course, especially Fox News.

For those who want to know first hand, with good investigative insider information:

http://www.themudflats.net/   Although you might be redirected to Huffingtonpost, as there has been a barrage of comments that this now famous blogger's server cannot handle.

But, of course, you are right about the right-wing backlash and overestimating the intelligence of the American public.  It's embarrassing--and you witness quite a few of those types these days even on Hubpages.  I have no idea how they can think as they do--but I think that's just it.  They aren't thinking.  Scapegoating and raw, stupid anger are just easier.  And I'm hoping that what you relate does not happen in the upcoming years.

What country are YOU from again?

1. profile image0

The same one you are from, observing people like you, as many here have.

I see. Don't worry, I won't overestimate you.

1. profile image0

Thanks, now THAT is a compliment!  hahahaa

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, sounds like no love lost in Alaska over her resignation. It really is a staggeringly selfish act, but not surprising.

Gail Collins NYT editorial on her resignation (from today) is pretty funny too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/04/opini … .html?_r=1

Holy crap, is there no limit to the hysteria? Palin as Hitler - LOL! Try to relax a little.

1. profile image0

Take your delightful prose to a local sports bar where grunts and LOLs! are expected.

You talk about sports bars a lot. Are you thirsty or something?

1. profile image0

I'm saying you should stick to posting in the sport section...reading about sports, and going to the pubs there.  Let the political discussions to the big boys and girls.

roll LOL

Are YOU the "big boys and girls"? And what is your obsession with sports and bars and such?

1. profile image0

I'm saying your lack of vocabulary and depth is so boring to so many.  I'm saying you present yourself like the stupid frat boy at a bar (not Marine) and probably have a real hard time with people more intelligent and attractive than you are (not Mighty Mom).  All your 'argument,' merits is the subtlety of a bar brawl...and you oughta take it there.

You seem to speak as one with a LOT of experience with both of those things.

1. profile image0

Oh, no, stalker sensei.  I dated professors when in college (remember--I dated no guy with less than an master's degree?).  ...Yeah, I saw your comment on that one thread before you deleted it.  (Don't want to make your stalking obvious, do you?)

Believe it or not, I find both frat boys and bar brawlers repulsive, wink.  What does THAT say, I wonder?

27. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Maybe you better watch PLAYBOY magazine,pays a lot more than Gov.

ROFL.... I would pay some serious money for that issue...LOL

28. JonTutor profile image61
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

@Iounn How do you get the second character in your profile name... is that a character from a standard keyboard?

1. profile image0

I cut and paste it. tongue  I'm sure one could make it with a standard keyboard on the alt keys, but I have no idea how.  Never did.

Thanks...You folks are funny....Nice smileys...Happy Independence Day.

29. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

yo thanks, you have a neat day too

30. profile image0

Right!  That's why I'm so stuck on myself, right?  Which you have expressed before?  BTW, I'm not married.  And I get what I want--and I mean with everything.  hahaha

Doubt you EVER have, lol.  Probably the Bubba qualities w/o Clinton's other good qualities!

31. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

She's had her 15 minutes of fame. Can we move onto someone more important than Palin? Someone like Lindsay Lohan or Miley Cyrus? smile

32. Mighty Mom profile image77

In answer to your question, Tksensei. Yes, I am an embittered middle-aged woman who cannot stand to see any woman more attractive than me. Therefores, I trash them every chance I get. You may be interested in my tirades against the likes of Scarlett Johanssen, Michelle Pfeiffer, Katherine Heigl, Anne Hathaway, Carmen Electra -- the list goes on and on.

You are very astute to catch that. Yes, I do judge people exclusively by their looks. I learned to do that in college, where all the women were dumb as posts but drop-dead gorgeous. It's a miracle I was able to graduate (or that they took me at all).

Feel free to go back to your Lita bashing now. She is another one who is so shallow she only sees people's external persona. She doesn't care a whit about intellect or integrity or empathy.  Nope. She is a lot like me in that regard, isn't that right, Lita:-)???

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Best reply ever...you are my new hero smile

Glad to find some liberals here.... I felt this place was full of conservatives.... when tksensei, nicomp, girly_girly were coming on me like ton of bricks (although girly was the nicest smartest conservative from the group).

2. Misha profile image62

LOL to be fair I would mention though that Lita is on par with TK in terms of stalking and bashing. They make a good pair wink

You had that Russian thing going with Tksensei... Do you like that TK guy... maybe you would also make a good pair with Tksensei...LOL

1. profile image0

I agree.  Yes, they would.

Nice to meet Ya..... Does Misha have a conservative bent.... He was supporting the conservatives in another topic.

1. Misha profile image62

LOL Jon, there is a life outside liberals and conservatives, you know smile

Sure there is a third party... but little chance of succeeding.... boy do I wish we had more choices.

There are lots of other choices, they are just utterly and appropriately insignificant.

Some people really don't know.

You know it all....LOL

2. profile image0

You are on par with TK in that you don't know what you are talking about here, Misha.  I have no gripes with you (and really don't want to have), so if you really don't mind, could you stay out of my affairs on Hubpages?  I do not need a dad here.

For your information, I do not like what TK does to numerous others here (if I were Mighty Mom, I would have took it even further...I found his remark that insulting).  Since they will not ban him, I have made it my little crusade to mirror his behavior...a psychological lil trick one can use with abusive personalities....  I think he'll abandon his crap soon--just how many new people can he find to attack?  And yeah, who would want me tailing them withall my words when they can barely muster 2 or 3 syllables? wink

You are misreading the situation, Misha.  You have misread other situations, too. That's OK, I'm not holding it against you.

1. Misha profile image62

Oh, I am not trying to play your dad Lita, god forbid.
            I am just watching you guys bashing one another, and frankly lately you started to outperform TK in this area. smile So I just wanted to balance MM's and Susan's slightly biased (as I see it) opinion, for a sake of justice wink
            But recalling your - umm - relations, for a lack of better word, with a few other guys here, I am eagerly awaiting a moment when you guys stop bashing one another and start cooing - it always brings tears of joy to my eyes smile

1. profile image0

Oh, you have got to be kidding, Misha, please.  Jeez.  Other guys?  In your imagination, maybe...  I've appreciated 1-2 for their intelligent argument, not more.  (Intelligent is the key word here.)

I leave the rest of that kind of stuff to you,smile.

Ah yes, share that charm...

3. profile image0

She's always been my hero.  smile

Actually, Michelle Pfeiffer is at least middle-aged by this point herself.

You should be more confident and accepting of yourself.

33. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Just read where Palin's lawyer said they were going to sue those who were out to slander and libel them.
    Some of those making outlandish and unsubstaniated claims better have deep pockets if they are going to publish their comments here and elsewhere the way it sounds.

34. Mighty Mom profile image77

This thread has degenerated into monosyllabic sand throwing. "I know you are, but what am I?"
    Geez, people. Is this the best we can do?
    I think it's time to let this entire argument go and move onto something else. I'm weary of this and I haven't even been an active participant.
    TK-- I believe I have suggested this before and will do so again now. Why don't you write a hub instead of hanging out under the bridge here in the Forums waiting for the billygoats gruff to come by so you can accost them?

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

MM--The forums are kind of like the Kingdom of Mordor. You have to come heavily armed with lots of magic and even then, some troll will most likely conk you over the head and eat your heart.

I consider my persistence in coming here a very dark part of my personality, a character flaw. I hope I grow out of it.

Seriously, the forums at HP are the pits. No offense to any of you folks who are guarding bridges for a living. Somebody has to do it I guess, but it's depressing for the rest of us who keep thinking there might be real discussions here (in spite of having no evidence that there are...like I said, that's an issue only me and my 12-step group can address).

1. Misha profile image62

That's an arrogance, Pam wink

2. profile image0

wink  I'm doing my best at stabbing those trolls with steely knives, but I grow so weary of it...  As far as I can see, it's been about 2 months now that the boards were overrun with meanies who have no argument and who just want to torture people any way they can.  I never did understand the appeal, in real life or virtual life.  And I think the argument or thread should stay--but somebody or something needs to kiss that toad and make it >poof<...disappear! (Won't be me--kissing is not part of the contract.  I only made a deal to try and kill it.)

Maybe it's about time for you to knock it off then. And could you stop mentioning "killing"? You are really drifting off into (even more) inappropriate territory. Even for you.

1. profile image0

I know you are literal minded, but that was a metaphor written about the mythical kingdom of Mordor. About trolls.  Now they're talking about trolls out in the open, not just elsewhere.  What does that say? 

BTW, you were reported for attacking MM about physical appearance.  Not that it will matter.

It says that you seem to harbor violent tendencies, and the fact that you have mentioned fighting and killing many times now suggests you are losing your self control. Pull it back. Nothing on a forum is THAT important.

1. profile image0

Simply stop insulting the people you know you are insulting...and as those people have understood, too--as witnessed above.  And there are NO issues.

It you cannot understand metaphoric language, that is not my problem.

You are a middle aged adult.  Why don't you act like one instead of a child?

Or what, you're gonna threaten me with violence again? You're gonna continue to go on and on about fighting in bars and "killing"? SELF CONTROL, MA'AM, SELF CONTROL.

1. profile image0

I've wasted enough time with you today.  Again, you are not presenting yourself in any way as cute or least of all--intelligent--as most who are astute can witness above and in numerous threads with numerous people.  Like I said, I reported you for the attack on MM.

35. profile image0

Palin's resignation speech was a strange hodgepodge, a mix of self-congratulatory horn-tooting, sound-bites and catch-phrases, unexplained political shorthand references ("that liberal 9th circuit!") and awkward ad-libs that left the impression of someone of such towering hubris that she did not think something so mundane as practicing the speech was necessary.

--Robert Schlesinger, conservative blogger, US News and World Report

He doesn't think she'll be running for anything anytime soon.

36. profile image0

There's no doubt that the week has been a bad one for the (Alaskan) governor. It started with an unflattering Vanity Fair article. This was followed by a CBS piece detailing several leaked emails in which she asked the McCain campaign to lie about Todd Palin's 7-year membership in a secessionist party. McCain strategist Steve Schmidt responded to her request saying that Todd was a member, and it was a secessionist party and he wasn't going to create an issue in the media if it didn't exist already, nor would he lie for her.

Schmidt's email to Palin:

"The statement you are suggesting be released would be inaccurate. The inaccuracy would bring greater media attention to this matter and be a distraction. According to your staff there have been no media inquiries into this and you received no questions about it during your interviews. If you are asked about it you should smile and say many Alaskans who love their country join the party because it speaks to a tradition of political independence. Todd loves his country.

We will not put out a statement and inflame this and create a situation where john has to adress this."

The following piece (the above taken from it) is hilarious and much to the point:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/akmuckrak … 25817.html

37. Mighty Mom profile image77

Bless you, Lita, for steering this back to the subject at hand. In point of fact, there are numerous angles still to be analyzed. There is genuine fascination (not just here on HP) with Ms. Palin's decision and what it means for Alaska and her family and her political ambitions.

LOVE the conservative blogger comment. Obviously, it's not just us left-wing yahoos who took issue with the manner in which she announced her abrupt departure mid-term. I watched her speeche and it was extremly self-congratulatory.
    The thing about Sarah Palin is -- she's crafty and stupid at the same time. So you never really know which level of meaning to be looking at. Just when you think the obvious layer is it, come to find out she really means something completely different. And that something makes absolutely no sense.

I wish she'd just go back to Wasila where she belongs. Or help her husband's group to seceed from the US.

1. profile image0

Agreed.  I'm not sure why I found her so fascinating when she was running myself...or why we still do.  I think the emptiness behind the veneer and the fact that many would buy into it is the main reason...and also that they could at all connect her to women's rights.  The whole thing was like looking at nightmare.  I found it unbelievable.

From my research on her, I would counter a guess that her resignation is about her house and the hockey rink/activity center in Wasila being paid for with illegal funds and the subsequent upcoming federal investigation.  A biggie-gate.  The Village Voice did a investigative piece on it a while back.

38. profile image0

This is how journalism works:  That WAS the news 2-3 days ago, reported as a rumor by insider sources, and recorded here at that time.

And as she has resigned, perhaps, yes--the coming charges may have been dropped--maybe because she DID resign.  Maybe we will never know.  Or maybe we will...sometimes things don't come out in the wash until years later.  That's the nature of politics.

39. profile image0

Sensei...you neeeeeed a real job.

40. tksensei profile image60

Stick to the topic, ma'am.

41. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt tongue

1. profile image0

wink Brilliant minds 'have discourse' on all of the above.

And after all, Sarah is pretty much JUST an idea someone in the McCain camp came up with, you know.  They have since dismissed it.

42. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL That was good Lita smile

1. profile image0

See, Misha.  This is what far separates you from the likes of...you know who. smile thanks.

43. HealthCare Basics profile image60

She may have just decided that being a lame duck is not worth the constant fight for fairness in issues within the State of Alaska. I don't agree, but there is substance in the decision to go away......

1. profile image0

Some kind of substance.  Of exactly what, I'm not sure.

I read an essay by Stanley Fish today on her and her iconic status...  He suggested that she literally was in pain due to all the ethics charges (Fish is kind of hard to place philosophically), as was Sanford just blatheringly in love with his Argentinian.

And while I agree this upfront approach as to their motives might be true--as they are human beings--the fact remains that they hold public office, and public expunging of emotion and rambling incoherently is not befitting of leadership roles.  Another thing to point out is this cry for humaness is kind of hypocritical given the fact that Palin, ie, was very inhumane with a lot of her rhetoric (Obama "paling around with terrorists") and hate mongering during the election season...  But she can't take what she gives out. Hmmmmmm.

44. profile image0

Bitter of what?  There is nothing there....vacuous.  I state plain facts... And also one of more than a few speculations that are going around on the political blogosphere.  Either way, almost all political pundits, many Republicans--including ROVE--are saying her political bid for any future office is over.

Oh, yes, please I wanna be jus like Sarah Palin and have an studly (ooo,iick) monosyllabic husband like Todd and hecto-peck or something of children and go 'pick fish' and kill wolves from helicopters and to have gone to 5 community colleges an' finally have graduated w/o ever doing a practicum in any journalistic field (her major), and to have winked and said 'you betcha' in a nation-wide debate.  Heck, yeah!

I know!  You like Sarah so much because you are so much a guy in Todd Palin's image.  wink

1. profile image0

Wow!  TK was here just a minute ago!  Talking about bitterness. Then, poof!  He disappeared.  Magical...somebody musta kissed the toad.

45. tksensei profile image60

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Did someone say hide-n-seek? wink

47. profile image0

Anybody in present company (not you, healthcarebasics) know who Stanley Fish is?

No?

Yawn. 

Bye-bye...

1. Capable Woman profile image61
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The guy who's life work is some esoteric criticisms of Milton...I think? Deconstruction of Paradise Lost or some such.

Or I am totally wrong and crazy and he plays for the Giants or something?

1. profile image0

Capable Woman is right about more than just pop music lyrics and Georgian politics!  lol wink  He also writes political and religious (ooo, bad word) commentary sometimes.

Sorry...I was just basically poking fun at the Sarah Palin adorers above...

48. Anolinde profile image79
    Anolindeposted 14 years ago

Getting back to the original topic, I just want to say that I must be one of the few who understood Sarah Palin's "rambling" speech about her resignation.  What I don't know is what she plans to do next ... there are all kinds of speculations out there, but I'm just gonna wait for July 27th.  One thing I find interesting is something I read somewhere a short while back (don't remember where and in what context) where Palin is quoted to have said, "Politically, if I die, I die."  I just think that just because people ("pundits" included) don't know what she's doing doesn't mean that she doesn't know what she's doing.

1. profile image0

I suppose most would say they 'understood' her speech, mostly.  That wouldn't make it effective or eloquent. How far are we going to take this 'anti-elitism?'  No--I'll say it flat out--I don't want someone with less public speaking finesse (or...and I can say this from experience...PR finesse--as witnessed by her e-mail's with McCain's political adviser) speaking for me, representative as any kind of feminist or role model of a 'strong' woman for me, or running my country.  No.  As the female Republican political journalist said on Fox News, she is 'inarticulate and scarcely educated' for the second highest office in the country.

I sure hope in her next move she knows what she is doing, because I don't think the PTA act to Governor to VP candidate worked very well.  Really don't think it was the correct move to become POTUS, tsk, tsk.

Of course, we've just recently seen that the ability to read a teleprompter well is the most (sorry, I mean the ONLY) important qualification to lead the country.

1. profile image0

oh, yawn..
          You know what I think of your 'argument' TK.  Run along now...have Misha take you for a walk.

Stick to the topic, ma'am. Don't start on the personal attacks AGAIN.

49. rastrother profile image40
    rastrotherposted 14 years ago

when i heard the news about palin, it brightened my day and gave me hope that this country will survive afterall. Next is obama, once i hear that he has resigned i will say "so there is a god afterall" man please no one vote him in for a second term, i need a job sad

50. tksensei profile image60

Another take (admittedly quite partisan - like ALL the comments on this thread)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl … 97333.html

1. Misha profile image62

except for mine smile

1. profile image0

lol

I love your consistency.

1. Misha profile image62

Love your consistency too smile

Are you kidding?! You are clearly an extreme Mishaist!

1. Misha profile image62

To that I can admit smile

It's rampant Mishaism that ruining this country!!!

1. Misha profile image62

To that i cannot admit. I am not a citizen even, just a non-resident alien tongue

As long as you're not an illegal alien it's all good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)