NYC---------Obama returns Nobel Peace Prize

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (59 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Led by an overwhelming majority of American citizens, with predominantly New Yorkers on the front lines, picketers in front of the White House succeeded in making Mr. Obama vow to return his erroneously-gotten Prize.  He said now he understands that it ain't okay to cause chaos WITHIN America while making peace with the tyrants of other Nations.

Uh Oh.   Turns out that isn't true;  just wishful thinking on my part.  Guess it was just a good dream I had......

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do we all have to pay the re-stocking charge!...watch out....lol

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Guess you missed the part where successive presidents (Democrat AND Republican) made peace with a long list of tyrants of other nations (Saddam Hussein in the 1980s, Shah of Iran, Augusto Pinochet, Suharto, various African dictators...)

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you missed the part where BD admits it is just a pack of deceitful lies, so why bother responding to those lies ?  Your energy might be better directed against this tactic of telling lies and deceipt, that after all was how the right got Bush into the white house.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Eric Heyl wrote a column about this.
    He is a humor writer.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to check out his column!

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

As Americans, we should all be proud that he won the Nobel Peace Prize, it is a prestigious award, so what is the problem, go to Norway and appeal it Ms Brenda, hehe

Alfred Nobel is turning on his grave and saying, BRAVO, Good choice fellas!!

1. profile image0

ha
      I wonder how one says please re-stock this item in Norwegian.....

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

lol, i went looking to see if this was true.

I was like "Oh my god, I might owe the man some respect now!"

... turns out I don't.

1. profile image0

haha
      yeah it's a bummer. smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He's not a teabagging ignoramus, so of course you don't.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow, that was nasty.  Good job on that.

5. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Criticizing President Obama because the Nobel Prize committee in Norway awarded him the Nobel Prize is beyond ridiculous.

This thread is not abouit criticism - it is one of a few direct lies and deceipts that a few right wing christian wingnuts are copying from some tv channel, probably moron news or something.

You will note that ho ho ho it is so funny at the bottom of the post under a mile of white space the pathetic disclaimer,that it is not true. One of the other threads also made the statement part way that it was pure fabicated lies and deceipt but then carried on posting as if it were true.  I guess after Fox news this was inevitable.

1. profile image0

Oh come on alternate poet!  Didn't the word "ain't" give it away immediately???    Who besides fools like me talks like that?? wink

2. pintails7886 profile image66
        pintails7886posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah its okay that the news constantly lies about Islam though. Make a bad joke about Obama, and all the sudden everyone is up in arms.

2. Petra Vlah profile image60
      Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What were his accoumplishments to be nominated in the first place? The list with the nominees closed in February and Obama was in office for less than 2 weeks at that time.
      When the Noble Prize is awarded on promises and hopes it becomes a joke.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps that's true or perhaps not, but why criticize President Obama? Why not address yourself to the Nobel Prize Committee?

6. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

obama is pride of usa and though he got nobel too early , obama is certainly one of most respected man of the world and for all the right reasons...

Yes - he replaced Bush - maybe the biggest contribution to world peace ever in one night !

1. pisean282311 profile image61
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

guess thats why he got nobel prize at first place lol

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
          Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It just confirms how worthless that Nobel Prize has become. It's become a political award and not a humanitarian award.  Obama and The Nobel were made for each other.

7. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

That was funny Brenda too bad other people are still into Bush Bashing mode that they've lost their sense of humor.  They really need to get on with their lives lol

1. profile image0

I know it!
      It's funny to them when the joke's on Bush or another conservative, but they lose their funny bone when their icon is joked about.
      Whatever!
      We know the truth and the truth has set us free from Obama's hypnosis!  heehee  big_smile

8. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

I have a quick question for everyone here.

What did Obama actually do to deserve the nobel peace prize before it was awarded to him?

1. profile image0

That is the question!

Maybe.....'cause someone got the silly idea he was a peacemaker because he went around apologizing for America to people who had no intention (nor responsibility for) of forgiving us for things the majority of us never even did?

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if I am not mistaken, the peace prize was awarded him right after he took office.  To be honest there was not enough time for him to have done anything at that time.

1. profile image0

You're probably right!  I don't remember.
          And I sure don't remember him doing anything to deserve such an honor.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

He laid out a plan in his campaign to work for peace in Iraq,  strengthen our relations with our allies and cooperate with them to deal with terrorism, restore the separation of church and state, re-start the Salt disarmament talks and Palestine peace negotiations. Apparently the Nobel committee liked his plans. If the award was premature, why should that give rise to criticism of President Obama? He didn't ask to be considered for the award.

1. profile image0

This sounds to me like a contractor who gets paid for building a house before even starting.  The plans look good and all and everything seems to be able to work right, but sometimes the contractor takes the money and runs.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60

He kept Sarah Palin out of the white house and at a safe distance from the nuclear button...

...Is there such a thing as a super, extra-thankful Nobel prize for saving all humanity?  If so, he should be given one immediately.

9. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Exactly, He laid out a plan.  It wasn't followed through, it hasn't been accomplished. Nothing has been done. It was an award for something he "planned" to do.  Not something he actually did.

That's total nonsense.

a quote from of Mice and Men: The best laid plans often go awry.

which signifies the futility of detailed plans when the  outcome is uncertain.

I plan to do alot of things, so do many others, should they get a freaking award for it. Please.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Your point seems to be "never plan anything because it will probably fail"

...sounds like a good tea party slogan, something Palin could really wrap her arms around.

1. profile image0

Palin is too soft even for my political tastes.
        The GOP will have to come up with a stronger Candidate than that, in order for me to vote for him/her, preferably him....

lol  How 'bout Genghis Khan?  He was known to take a hard line toward those who disagreed with him.

How about the Newt? He's an even bigger phony than Palin. Apparently they are the current favorites along with Romney for the GOP nominee in 2012.

What do you mean that "it wasn't followed through?" President Obama has removed 50,000 troops from Iraq, re-started the disarmament talks and Israel-Palestine peace talks, repaired relations with our allies, not started any new wars, signed an imperfect banking reform bill, done the best he could to dig the economy out of the hole Bush dug for us, all over opposition from the Republican Party which has tried to defeat nearly every one of Obama's initiatives. Do you actually read a newspaper once in a while?

Perhaps you should stick to sugar cookie recipes and nasal spray addiction warnings.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Re: Peace.
    At this juncture in our history, it appears that the biggest threat to our country does not come from other hostile nations, but comes from the dangerous and deluded "thinking" (if you can even call it that) of the negative, naive, obstructionist tea partiers.

Unfortunately, neither Obama nor the Nobel Prize committee could have forseen this uber-funded beligerent uprising coming from within the United States. Not that they give prizes for withstanding (and even allowing, under the First Amendment) such disrespectful spouting. Maybe Obama should call in some of Bush's cronies to shut off the spigot of hate. It really is un-American.

Apparently, the teabaggers are too nutty even for Karl Rove.

11. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

Rearrange the letters of Sarah Palin, and what do you get?

Sharia Plan.

Think about it. lol

1. profile image0

Not bad.  wink  lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and?
      Barack Obama is

Maraca Kabob. smile

You tell'em F Rock near Hell!

1. Kidgas profile image63
          Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

12. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

If he survives, he'll deserve to be the first recipient of two Nobel Prizes.

13. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

It's gonna be a train wreck no matter who comes out on top -- which would have to be Palin, given she's the only one who got past the primaries (ha!) last time around. And since she is the Mama Grizzly she would insist on being the POTUS candidate.
    Can't quite picture Newt or Romney (or Guiliani -- another huge phony who used 9/11 shamefully) playing second fiddle to Palin (who, now that I used the word fiddle, does kinda remind me of NERO -- rhymes with ZERO!)

14. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

You know what I find funny about this whole Nobel Prize hoo-hah?

A bunch of people who aren't Barack Obama voted to give him the prize, and somehow it's become Barack Obama's fault that a bunch of Norwegians think he's going to be good for world peace.

Plus, the Nobel Prize for Peace has historically been given to people who are making a start, and whom the prize committee wants to encourage to see their peace-making plans through to fruition.

But somehow, because it's Obama, it's suddenly bad.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it was the committee that suddenly had no credibility.
      Maybe not so suddenly ...

The Nobel committee has huge credibility - until they go against some American idea, then . . .     get over yourself !

15. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

As I understand it Obama got the Nobel Prize for speaking out for peace and outlining a way that PEACE could be accomplished - that included him being in the White House.  Given the raving looney right wing christian habit of shooting good men he should also have got an award for bravery; the chances of him joining Martin L King and JFK and others of the Kennedy family were high and are probably even higher now.

16. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

This thread is becoming a microcosm of the world situation.

The Nobel Prize committee is well respected and considered THE highest authority on what is considered good or outstanding by the whole world - without exception.

If they choose to award their prize they do it in accordance with the directions left by Nobel himself.

Clearly the Nobel committee consider that Obama has done or said enough to deserve the accolade - in their view. And it is their view that the rest of the world will follow.

The attempt to discredit such a world renowned and impeccable organisation for its actions show how trivial, self serving and despicable those people are.  The deceipt, lies and foul behaviour of the American right wing christians clearly show what the world can expect from the US - why are Americans surprised that the world is turning against them?  The process of decay and degeneration of the US is clear and the process can be glimpsed in the workings of this thread.

17. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

The nobel prize is a reflection of the direction our socioty points to. It seems to be pointing to empty politics over those who have truely sacrificed.

You are right for a change - the Nobel Prize is the world society reflection on American politics, if you like to note that just 'not being a warmonger' in modern America is worth a prize maybe.  Soldiers going to war always sacrifice for their country, but the country normally only demands that sacrifice in defense of that country - not for oil or ideology.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, but i'm not talking about soldiers, How about Ghandi? I also read about a woman who smuggled thousands of Jewish babies out of the ghettos in Poland during WWII, she got passed up because Gore made a nature video.

I think you will find the time frame a little off here - Gores climate video along with ALL the other stuff you choose to ignore was 2009 or so, the year he got the prize  - and this heroic woman was in 1944 or so.  You are confused easily by the publication of a book about a woman and actions by a person in that year.  You appear to be easily confused.

1. profile image0

No this woman was up for the award for several years. The final year of her life she was up for the award and it was given to a politician who pretty much did nothing. I realize that to the untrained, unbelieving, and ignorant eye the two seem unrelated. For some however, it is quite tragic. And because I did not mention all of the other passups in the history of tragic Nobel prize passups does not mean I have ignored them, it simply means that I didn't feel it nessicary to provide a detailed discourse on the subject. But for your perusal You can go here;
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_controversies

I think you mean 'emotive' - not quite the same thing.

1. profile image0

No I did not.

18. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

No one seeems to have noticed that Obama has done what Bush could not do. He has direct peace talks started again. No one is offering guarantees - but it's a start. If handing out the peace prize inspired Obama to work twoard reconciliation in the mideast, maybe they should hand out more of them to new world leaders.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)