Acts 2: Talking in Tongues

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (139 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm bored and feel like venturing into the religious forums so...

Why do pentecostals claim that Acts 2 is proof that 'talking in tongues' is biblical, when in fact no one can understand what they are saying?

1. hanging out profile image60
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ya really can't venture out too far here.. but you can look at various hubs and see what is said. Usually what happens is as soon as a question gets posted the heathen begin raging.
      Psalms 2:1   Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
      Brotheryocanan has a quite excellent hub on this very thing.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Apostle Paul writes, "He who speaks in tongues edifies himself...I would like every one of you to speak in tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:4,5). Was this a positive statement about tongues? If so then why do so few Christians speak in tongues?

I believe the answer is because there is very little sound, logical and scriptural teaching as to the scope and value of speaking in tongues.

It was a warning from Paul, Do you edify your-self, or God almighty? A self searching question to the people he wrote to.

The over emphasis of tongues is another hole in The logic of Religionist. A re-translation of the Translation to set a mode of thinking for a Group of believers to conform to, not so much truth as hype to make folks fit in to a one- way of thinking.

And a perfect example of  way to much emphasis placed on side bars like the supposed language of God that can not be proven, and not the real thing which his God himself.

3. profile image50
      exhortressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just love talking in tongues

4. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God works through natural means.  To offer someone alternate tongues that make those in proximity confused and decipher meaning is not of God.  His are not works of confusion.  A person with an ability or talent to learn another language is a miracle and speaking in tongues.  A person with a good ear and ability to communicate with a troubled child is a miracle and speaking in tongues.  A school teacher that works with their student on their individual levels effectively is a miracle and speaking in tongues.  A charitable person working on behalf of a starving child on the other side of the world is a miracle and speaking in the tongue of love, hope and charity.  Miracles are seen everyday but through natural means.

Now what does this mean for the faithful.  Those who are faithful unto selflessness and not for personal gain may be individually blessed with magnified varied talents upon their efforts.  If God has a message for the one it is either through natural means or through that still small voice within.

If you read the bible paul discloses on the purpose of tongues quite extensively. Pentecostal charismatics take this too far, but applied in the context of what paul says, the gift of speaking in heavenly tongues fits the edification of the church completely. Prophecy is still around as well. Perhaps a different church, one that practices these gifts would clarify the mist from your eyes.

5. profile image0
      gregster77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

speaking in tongues is simple folks.all u are doing is magnifying GOD....we with our common languages glorify GOD BUT IN TONGUES MAGNIFY GOD...PAUL SAYS WE EDIFY OURSELVES BEING WHERE WE SPEAK TO GOD AND EMBRACE HIS LIGHT FOR OURSELVES SOMETHING WE NEED TO GROW IN THE SUPERNATURAL........prophecy edifies the church in which the church grows in the natural realm...there is a big difference in edifying ourselves and in exalting ourselves in which vanity comes in along with sin

1. alternate poet profile image69
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is writing in tongues I take it ?

6. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hinduism crap is much older than christianity crap.

Vedic chants that are with 'talking in tongue' are much old than biblical shit.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same as snake handlers claim that Christ comes to them in the form of a serpent sometimes. 

It is all a matter of interpretation.  A wacky interpretation in my opinion, just as with handling rattle snakes in the exact moment you feel the holy ghost entering inside you.

To each their own.

8. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since this is a gift from God, the ability to be able to speak and especially to be able to speak in tongues. Others who understand the tongue being spoken would understand what is being said. The Apostles were able to address many other nationalities and in their native tongue, even when they didnot know that particular language. Peter didnot know how to speak in Greek, but God gave him the ability to be able to do just that, as well as any other language he needed.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, WryLilt, WryLitl, WryLit...     Look what you got going here, just because you're bored    lol  Maybe next time, you could play Solitaire or something?   lol  )

10. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really, you should take your questions to the Father. Are you upset because you don't speak in other tongues yet, or is it that you don't understand the whole concept?  If God has not filled you with the Holy Spirit, just ask to be filled.  He is the giver of every good gift.

2. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

If it is used for prayer, only God needs to understand, and He does. cool

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So does Sarah Pailin! What a coincidence! lol

3. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

C'mon, tell me this doesn't make you squirm or want to take a bath! lol lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXUJLqgeuOA

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

which one? Palin or speaking in 'tongues'. lol

But to the OP:

Tongues are languages, human languages. At least the ones mentioned in Acts. The purpose is to allow others to understand what is being said in all available dialects. (This further supports my belief that humans are born with every bit of knowledge they require).

At that particular event, the Hebrew gentleman spoke many languages, which they themselves did not immediately understand, but the Hebrews from all over the planet, who were there to celebrate (mandatory appearance), understood them, each in their own native language. The event is to recognize a complete reversal of the event of Babel.

The purpose of an interpreter is if someone is speaking a tongue, the other people in the room, need a translator; it also served as validity of the speaker.

In no way does it suggest or imply some kind of incoherent babble, that no one can understand. Pentecostals and other organizations, want so much to have these events happen in them, they manifest their own. Sad, but true.

how can acts be human language? Recently i was at a sign up for summer camp and as i stood back a short space from the crowd and listened i could not make out any one voice clearly, it sounded, of course, as all crowd murmurs do, as a bunch of garble, yet the man in acts said "how be it we hear every one in our own tongue?".
          Acts 2:7   And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
          Acts 2:8   And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? (notice the number of languages)
          Acts 2:9   Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
          Acts 2:10   Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
          Acts 2:11   Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
        Simple. As the spirit gave them utterance, the men spoke, since the holy ghost descended at the same time,
        Acts 2:4   And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
        BUT GOD interpreted the tongues they were speaking in the hearing of each man listening as there must be an interpreter according to scripture.
        I do not for a second believe the room inhabitants which received the holy ghost were speaking fluent, human tongues.

not sad, and true!

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

from the quote:That is human language.

The Spirit is the giver, yes. The Spirit translates to them in their own language. Now, churches add your line at the end, needing an interpreter for those among them who do not understand the tongue being spoken, yet there are those in the room that do --they bear witness to the words spoken and are the translators.

4. earnestshub profile image79

its been a common misconception that anyone who desires the baptism in the holy ghost can just speak it out. This is wrong. The apostles were told to "wait for the gift from on high". God decides when a person gets baptized in the holy ghost. The only two credentials for this event is desire and waiting (waiting means to stop trying and submit and be patient) We can do nothing of ourselves in the kingdom of God, which is to say, the speaking out in some language cannot be induced by the will of man and be a proper outpouring of the Holy Ghost. Once again, as all things are, Baptism in the Holy Ghost is GIVEN from God in Gods time. I know people who got it when they ceased trying to force it down from heaven and said, okay God, whenever you are ready. The Holy Ghost is powerful, it is the enabler, the enabling spiritual booster if you will that empowers the user to greater things of God. A happy moment indeed. Not all videos you see will be true baptisms in the Holy Spirit, thats like saying all christian music videos are blessed by God, again, Not true or even that Benny Hinn has some new thing from God called fire of god, this is also not true.

5. stilljustwonderin profile image59
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

I have never spoken in tongues myself.  I have been in a church where they do.  If the Lord has a message for some one he may choose some one to speak in tongues.  The church will fall very silent when that happens.  After the message is given, some one who has been given the gift of interpretation will interpret what was said.
    Some times, some one who has been given the gift of speaking in tongues will do so in prayer.  Then it is something private between that person and God.

6. earnestshub profile image79

There is "scientific proof" that when people speak in tongues the do not active the language centre of the brain. Proof positive that it is speaking directly to god.
    I can find the link if anyone is interested.

Looking in to the link may not satisfy the scientific in the community as it seems to have two flaws.
    1. What in hell would motivate you to find out in the first place, and
    2. The guy has form as a religious apologist.

simmer down you are wrong.
      Tongues is used and that is a fact.
      Paul lengthily mentions the use and function of tongues. If you think we should now take your word over the bible, pope earnest... i may have to start laughing again.

I have very little interests in the ranting of any fundamentalist such as yourself on any matter.
        No capacity to reason. None.
        Your laughing for no good reason can be explained.

I think it is the funniest of all the whacko stuff you believe except for the snake handlers! lol lol lol

1. profile image56
          exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you ever take the Lord take control of your tongue you to would be a believer

Sure I would! smile
            Talking in tongues.

Self aggrandisement by sad people who will never have another excuse in their miserable lives to take the stage again for anything of value.
            Bone ignorant Heehaws like Sarah Pailin, funny little people living too isolated too long. These are the talkers in tongues.

No point trying to educate any of them really, they are still way back at goddunit.

1. profile image54
              extortressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ignorance is tryhing to knock people for their beliefs. no one is asking you to believe. if you don't thats fine. why do you want to upset people by being rude. if we are wrong, we will be in a grave and it won't matter anyway.  if you're wrong you won' like the place you are at. If you ever experienced it you wouildn't knock it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No - that is not what that word means. Sorry. "Ridicule," is probably more apt. But - if you don't want people laughing at your beliefs - you shouldn't have such funny beliefs. wink

1. mom101 profile image60
                  mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is the difference in speaking in tongues and writing in tongues? A lot of times I see words like dunno.......what is that?

2. stilljustwonderin profile image59
                stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't let them upset you.  He can't help it.  He doesn't know any better.
                Just remind your self that Jesus said it would be this way.

2. profile image0

the more u reject GOD THE MORE FREE U ARE AND THE MORE HELL CALLS........

so yea ok laugh it out but remember this

HIS Pain our Salvation

Why does the world cancel out the true GOD of all gods and deny the true belief

Sure he has borne our grieves

We sought the world and found nothing but darkness; we live a life ruled by a lying pharaoh

Our sins are massively wicked and causes us to be painful while the ONE and ONLY carried out our sorrows

In vain we worship and claim His KINGDOM, in shame we deny His sacrifice and broke HIS covenants then we all esteemed HIM stricken

The corruption of this world is in danger and we all are in fault for not being cautious

The truth is defected through the lies in variation of one book affecting generations to suicide

My HEAVENLY FATHER smitten and afflicted, the tears of blood and the lashes of gold

He was bruised for our iniquities; we were freed for HIS pleasure and righteousness

The guilt of our abominations was taken from us as a gift as the chastisement of our peace was upon HIM

Healing is given by his stripes but we bathe our souls in self-righteousness, vanity, and brutal sin

Like sheep we went astray wandering around forgiveness and HIS mercy not realizing that we are in need

To us the criminals HE was led as a lamb to slaughter, with our weapons of destruction we stand in unity all in laughter

Prison and Judgment became HIS comfort as a waterfall of slicing knives into our minds and spirit

With no remorse we all jumped to the line of confliction and started to beat on HIM with our belt of thorns

Our transgression got HIM stricken leaving only memories of spiritual adulteries and nasty fornications

We are stupid of our sinful fragmentations having wondrous actions of horrifying trespasses in malediction

A world of believers of evil and creators of felonies all combusted in flames of fantasies of hatred

HE who came brought Love and Salvation and left hopeless knowing that we are a burden

All amazed of our ignorance in deception and our love of flowing currency not really living

Yet He fined peace in His death and gave Himself joy and pleasure loving us all believing in His plan of salvation

Are we at all intact with the Kingdom and are we not HIS creation!!!

The LORD CHRIST is still in intercession, HOLY GHOST FIRE is still burning, and the church is still arising

Now it comes, the latter days of true persecution, Fisherman of the seas, Workers of the ultimate Gifts

The guillotine, the destroyer is at rally full of lousy weapons

Do we stand still and watch our deaths in vanity or do we Praise and Worship trusting the Word, our guide and gateway for a true revival

We all know that the weapons are old and carry the same stinger

Therefore why are we hibernating when a cause is at hand?

Dead minds and unattended souls arise and breathe the breath of truth

Heavy in the struggle, brave in the Gospel, Strong in faith, and Loving in the message

Hurry for its time and be merry for its ordained; the army is ready and the gate is open

They are coming out by the dozens, in false teachings all will rise turning us against each other

So let us share HIS pain for the gain of our salvation

In Baptism of water and Spirit in the Name of the one and only CHRIST JESUS lets us stand in faith, in preparation for its time for breakthrough graciously

Praise the LORD your GOD and always know that HE IS THE ALPHA AND OMEGA, the KEY of our true Victory!!!

2. hanging out profile image60

weird they all want their questions answered but when the answer comes they don't want it.
          a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over in precisely the same way and expecting a different outcome.

my world is very different every day. Today we had prophecy, tongues and interpretation. The warm content feeling of God was in the church and it was completely edifying. NO charismatic occurrences, everything was done decently and in order.

I can't figure out how come your experiences are completely different about everything that goes on. Musta been a cult you were in.

You really can't be educated either. In fact much information has come your way and you shunned it for the lies and falseness that you preach. You have actually become a false preacher according to the bible. What a long journey backward huh, any end in sight?

oh and
          lol laughing for no good reason... is there any truth left in you? I laughed because you claimed to be able to speak for people for the last 2000 yrs. Doesn't that sound a little crazy to you? It completely does to me.

lol lol I'll let this one sit and fester. smile

A religionists calling anyone ignorant is bloody hilarious! lol lol lol

you should let everything sit and fester lol
              my respect for your ability to discern anything about God lessens with each post you produce, currently rushing toward the negative.
              Did you ever think you didn't walk away from God but that God pushed you away because you would have done more harm to his kingdom by being a preacher for him than you do on hubpages against him lol

now that's bloody hilarious
              if it weren't so sad

3. stilljustwonderin profile image59

I found it.  It makes perfect sense.  It isn't the person speaking, it is the spirit.

2. profile image0

THE SPIRIT SPEAKS IN TONGUES AS THE ALSO THE PERSON FOR AS U SPEAK UR SPIRIT SPEAKS U ARE UR SPIRIT BUT VISIBLE BY FLESH
        GODS SPIRIT HOLY GHOST CARRIES THE GIFT OF TONGUES AND IS IN THE POWER OF GOD AS GOD IS GOD IN FLESH BY BEING GLORIFIED AS Y'SHUAH AKA JESUS CHRIST

speaking in tongues is in fact proof of being baptized by the SPIRIT OF GOD..READ ACTS ONE....
        ACTS 1
        4And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

ACTS 2
        Acts 2

1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

these first folks were Jews.......messianic by believing in the Messiah Y'SHUAH not Christians...notice it was at Antioch they were first called Christians

2. stilljustwonderin profile image59

I would be very interested.  As I said, I have never done it myself, but I have witnessed it.  The church would fall so silent, no one moves.  Then some one would speak in tongues.  Some one would interpret.  Then generally, some one would get up out of the congregation and go up to the alter, the message would be for them.    It would be so strange, because before it would happen, you would "feel" something was about to happen.  This was a small church, no nursery for the babies.  Babies wouldn't even make a sound thru all this.

Been a long busy day.  I'm done for the day.  Ya'll have a good night.

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read about a study where MRI showed that the emotional centres of the brain, not the language centres were activated.  I am still able to utter glossolalia even though I haven't attended church for many years, and I don't believe anymore.  I learnt it from the pentecostal church.
      I think the penetostal churches are into emotion - "feeling" something is going to happen etc

There is an atheist on the net who speaks in tongues too. smile He does it to prove it is a crock. smile

7. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Hold your tongue and say 'I was born on a pirate ship' really fast!

It works perfectly!

Wait till I teach that to my 6 year old grandson! He'll have a ball with that! smile

8. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

His parents will be so proud!

I know! lol lol lol
      Thanks for that. It may help with my flu indirectly.

With any luck my daughter will kill me and put me out of my misery

and this amuses you.
        lol

rats! i don't believe in luck...

9. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

-According to acts the gift of tongues was given ONLY so people who spoke another language could understand the message.
    -What proof is there that people who are under the power of the gift of tongues aren't actually 1. Under the influence of the devil or 2. Having a psychotic breakdown or 3. Victims of some sort of mob mentality?

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59

You would be able to tell by the "fruit" of the message.  I have seen some one speak in tongues, some one else interpret, then some one get up and go to the alter.  The message was for them.  If the message wasn't from God, that person wouldn't have gone up to the alter.  Satan doesn't want us at the alter.

1. profile image54
        extortressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey stillwonderin, why do they get so upset because we believe.  they get on a christian hubpage to get upset because we believe.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59

I think they are hoping to convince us that we are foolish.  But the Bible says the wisdom of the world is foolishness to God.  So any time they call us foolish, they are paying us a high compliment.    big_smile

Not in the real world! Only in "the word" lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a "Religion and Philosophy," forum covering many different religions and philosophies. We could care less what you believe - we just have a problem with all the wars and ill will caused by religion. Yours in particular.

I genuinely do not care one whit what you believe - but when you start spreading this as a truth - you are going to get ridiculed by educated people who know the real origins of your beliefs.

ill will we start.lol.. anyone got a mirror for this mark fellow? roll

2. mom101 profile image60

Mark, educated in what?

The real origins of your belief perhaps? smile

i wont fail.

2. mom101 profile image60

earnest, is he saying HE is educated? The real origin of my belief? Nature.

3. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't really mind what you believe. What I do mind is when you claim that the bible (which I would consider at least 50% factual) is your main source of enlightenment.

Then you go on to use it as a 'jumping off point' to explain your own wild ideas.

Really, christianity is like a Hollywood movie of the bible - with a disclaimer at the front saying "Based on a true story."

According to acts the gift of tongues was given ONLY so people who spoke another language could understand the message.
      (how did you discover ONLY... i see no basis in fact for ONLY. A part of the 50% of the bible you discounted says:
      1 Corinthians 14:22   Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
      This does not imply ONLY)

-What proof is there that people who are under the power of the gift of tongues aren't actually 1. Under the influence of the devil
      (again you have to actually read the bible to understand that when god gives a gift, it is not from the devil. If you need to believe in a personified devil you will indeed be confused often)
      2. Having a psychotic breakdown? Not applicable for deep reasons.

3. Victims of some sort of mob mentality? This one i will agree with you about, as i mentioned in my post previously. We cannot force the baptism in the Holy Spirit, it is a gift of god and given when he decides the person is ready.

and i forgot this one.
        1 Corinthians 14:32  "And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets".

This rules out trances, channeling, shaking or shimmying, falling down, convulsing, squirming about the floor, laughing overly much.. The person of god giving a prophecy or speaking in tongues will do so in pretty much the same spirit that the person is accustomed to, except for a little sweat and some nervousness (until well practiced) the person will 'feel' the same as usual.

Spiritualists.. dig this post lol

and don't forget the "proof"

I love this guy! He speaks volumes against his beliefs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXUJLqgeuOA

Religion summed up by one man! lol lol lol

3. profile image0

There is no proof - they all "feel" inside that God is speaking, so that is enough.  From someone that spent too many years being brainwashed in the pentecostal church.

10. Missing Link profile image67
    Missing Linkposted 13 years ago

Ironically, I have written a hub on this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Speaking-in-Ton … sm?preview

Please check it out if you get a moment.

Thanks!

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Acts 2: Talking in Tongues"

Closed thread?

12. earnestshub profile image79

I could watch those guys talking in tongues on TV all night!
    Best comedy award stuff! Insanity personified.

Sadly though it is mental illness we are talking here. It is just hard to have sympathy for such a lunatic when they make millions from hurting gullible people who cant distinguish fact from fantasy. smile. smile

Psalms 69:9   For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

It really bothers me too that obvious cults will go far beyond what christians will do. I was in a mormon church this weekend, attending an interactive session, those people train their people, christianity says, study at home. They were dressed to the 11s, christians wear jeans and sneakers. Christianity is hard, its difficult and its tricky after all the years of abuse, which is why jesus says, concentrate on the father and me. Christians need to spend way more time seeking answers by waiting, listening, desiring truth (often they just want a quick solution). Patience works its perfect work.

How in hell could christianity be hard work?

You guys all have the same MO.
        Get indoctrinated by family and friends, don't believe in it sub-consciously, so lie about what happens in your life as a result of your belief to convince others in the hope of convincing yourself. (ain't gonna happen, the sub-conscious knows the truth.). smile

You left because your subconscious told you too! I see obvious gaps in this theory.

smile

Let's see those gaps shall we?
            I left religion because I grew up and learned better. smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
              h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did I see that Earnest said he left religion? Earnie - you may helf left the church but you haven't come close to leaving the religion forums smile

Nor shall I. smile
                I don't like lies for jesus, or magic fairies being past off as real, or any other myth that is flogged as truth and will always speak up about it. Ignorant bronze aged bulls*it is just that. Spoken by the ignorant to control the ignorant smile

lol
                  earnest you don't see the hypocrisy in your actions. I dare say old man, your phobia doth eat u up. You may indeed speak up but your lies are worse than our lies. And your overly flogged dialog is so tedious to our ears we just turn the page on you and really you only end up talking to yourself.
                  I care that you seem so obsessed and the mission you are on is not of god nor is it righteous, it is sent by a manic depressive condition that psychologists would indeed prescribe.... staying away from the religious forums and take up gardening smile

we may be nuts as you have blatantly told us but you my dear friend are quite obviously insane.
                  sorry, god bless ya.. have a great day.

No hypocaracy in my actions. There is in this very post is though.

You claim to ignore everything you reply too. You are a scream! lol lol lol

The personal insults don't have any effect.
                    Sorry about that.
                    I have been keeping my own council for many years now, and have learned to expect people with psychosis to have a low opinion of me without knowing jack *hit about me. smile

13. alternate poet profile image69
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

iyam yorigo a tall king a fo ming mouthats pouts a doc trinof hay tand fearof the other EXTER MINATE EX TER MIN ATE EXTERMINATE ! ! !

Have you been listening to Sarah Pailin's speeches again  AP?

Who is Sarah Palin ?

Well she is a fundamentalist who speaks in tongues for starters.

Apparently she has amazing eyesight too! smile She said "I can see Russia from here" She said that from Alaska.

Sort of a female Glenn Beck,  never mind, I am slowly recognising my problem here.
          As you are not a loony religionist you may have been fortunate enough to have avoided both of these loosers. smile

1. milesofjazz profile image60
            milesofjazzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sarah Palin didn't say that, Tina Fey playing Sarah Palin said that.

No Sarah Palin said that first herself. smile

14. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i understand from my little knowledge, that speaking in tongues, was a gift given to a chosen few so they could help others understand the message from god.  I don't think it was so god could be the only one to understand.  I don't think it is used now from god at any rate.,

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=244696357682&id=96a078d517034933ef27c4f7eb45e077

16. alternate poet profile image69
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Definately talking in tongues - or is it just babbling I wonder.

Another drive by religion spammer, this one seems to really like to write loads of stuff, maybe he could be persuaded to write a hub or two before boring me to death with volumes of trite twaddle.

1. profile image0

I read somewhere how a study was done and it was found that those speaking "in tongues" were using syllables from their own language.

17. profile image0

I so wish we could stone anyone who puts up these long posts and bullshyt!

Stip beating about the bush and sitting on the fence - come right out and say what you mean !!  big_smile big_smile

18. profile image0

LOL I thought I did, and quite eloquently too.

big_smile

19. SilentReed profile image82
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

I can think of several other things that I can do with my tongue which would be more pleasurable. smile

i gotcha beat

20. Maira818 profile image72
    Maira818posted 13 years ago

i speak in tongues, but only in the privacy of my room when i is alone with God.  i will think it when in congregation, i sometimes feel people will start thinking i am either crazy or just mimicking the others who do... am i doing wrong for this and if so, what should i do?

Learn from the experts!

Watch the evangelical christians talking in tongues on TV.

If after that, you are still talking in tongues there is no hope for you as you have no sense of what is ridiculous! smile

2. alternate poet profile image69

No - you are not doing wrong, but I would seriously suggest getting some psychiatric help.

1. Maira818 profile image72
        Maira818posted 13 years agoin reply to this

geez, i forgot to add a small detail to my last post there: i would much appreciate the replies of Christians, than non-Christians. 
        not that i have anything against non-Christians, but i did kinda imagine the responses i would get from non-Christians, and yep... i got 'em sad

So you are not looking for information. Only agreement.
          Then you're post is downright dishonest. smile

if you were to look for information about science, you would ask a scientist.  its only logic, not someone who does not even know the concept.
            same way if you were to look for information about Christian things, you would ask someone who knows about them, not someone who ignores these things... its logic.

not asking for agreement, only for knowledge. ( if there are in this forum).  if that makes my post dishonest, i surely didn't mean to...

thanks for replying anyway... big_smile

Well you may begin to notice with time, that those who know the most about religion are those who have studied it.

It is bloody obvious to me that very few people on here who are religious have ever read their entire book. smile

Most religionists are unable to understand even the basics.

Well you may begin to notice with time, that those who know the most about the bible are those who have studied it.

It is bloody obvious to me that very few people on here who are atheist have ever read their entire book. (when did ya even get a book) smile

Most atheists are unable to understand even the basics.

nuther terrific post keep up the bland work

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
                  IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your statement about atheists I feel, could not be further from the truth.  Most atheists are very educated in biblical history, and are highly intelligent people.  Generally speaking, it is because of their intellectual that they don't believe.  Religion isn't logical, and takes some "imagination" to believe it's real.

So I think you're statement is extremely naive on your part.

perhaps you did not notice i copied and pasted earnests post just changing a few words so i guess earnest she doesn't appreciate your post very much either. lol

of course part of what you say is true. But naivety is not true. All the atheists here, and of course i am speaking to the atheists that are here, not somewhere else so lets keep that in context, all the atheists here discount the bible. I have read replying posts of theirs to my amazement, they know nothing. I have read posts, that as i have mentioned before, deal each atheist 'mortal wounds'. Indeed their reign of discounting bible truths is over long ago. All that is in their mouths is lies and unfounded rants now, everything is out of context and no scriptures back up their interpretation of the tiny portion they copy and paste. There own counsel betrays them toward foolishness and even a vivid picture of insanity.
                    I do agree that religion is not discerned by a carnal mind. High intelligence does not unmake God. "to those whom much is given, much will be required". Intelligence should be able to decipher the bible by adhering to the rules of bible study, but most of these atheists put on airs about being intelligent, i have not read anything that ascribes intelligence; where do you get that from?

Calm down hanging out. Take a deep breath, go inside and talk to the fairy. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't you want to ask someone who does their homework, researches information, synthesizes it with logic and rationale, compares and analyzes it from a variety of sources and then presents it in a consistent manner? smile

you know anybody like that
                lol

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course, are you saying you don't? smile

- looks around -

just the christians

2. profile image49
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why you want to restrict it to Christians? It is an open forum. Please

well i did not restrict it (in other words i did not say that only Christians are allowed to answer), i simply said i would appreciate it more...

1. profile image49
              paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK, thank you

tongues at home is perfectly fine and wonderful. I hope you are in a church where the gifts are manifesting.
        congratulations!
        you can speak in tongues anywhere but you are wise to keep them to yourself. I find them most useful when my flesh wants to sin and just a few sentences later, the urge is gone.

some say that it is not good to retain the Holy Spirit this way by speaking in tongues in public.  i really admire those who do not care that other people are watching and probably labeling them as crazy. 

it's nothing new, David used to worship God with dance publicly, yet his wife Michal, despised him in her heart for doing this.  (she probably thought he went crazy or he was making a fool of himself) That did not stop David though.  Its amazing to me that a king with such honor would do such things to praise the Lord, and would not care what others thought.

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
          Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fear not. Speak in tongues at home that is nice and pleases God but do not be afraid to do it in public too. If someone laughs or mocks you, it only means their faith is not as strong as yours, so they are not able to do this. Speaking in tongues, in actuality means having the power from God to speak in another language, one you are not familiar with.

thank you for the encouragement, my brother

God, bless  big_smile

ya really ought not to speak it in public. There is no need for this. It will make people think you are mad and we as peacekeepers and embassadors of the gospel do not want this. Tongues will not edify an unbeliever so only harm can be done by this. If you must use tongues in private, do it away from any hearer, for the unlearned will only be harmed by it. Paul says this most adamantly.
              Tongues like any gift is not to be misused. People in church should keep it out of the church except it be for a time of prophesy and their come an interpretation after.
              Tongues is wonderful, i agree, but like everything else it is here for the use not the ABuse.
              David danced in his underwear, and this is why michal despised him, not for praising God. David took of his priestly garb and danced before the lord with all his might. We might do the same, keeping on our clothes because underwear back then was more like a pantaloon covering and not briefs and thongs. lol.

perhaps that is wise.  i should only speak in tongues only where i would feel comfortable doing it, and not in inappropriate places.  thank you much brother...

God bless you! big_smile

3. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I'm a pro at speaking tongues! I blame it on them foreign spirits!!! hmm

your tongue could speak anything and it would just sound like music

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

kiss me Frog! lol

well... this waiting to evolve isn't happening all too quickly. lol

clear your esophagus!

1. profile image0

lol

Will you turn into a prince?

if i don't, i'll be sadder than you

4. Diane Inside profile image72
      Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Many who believe in speaking in tongues such as the pentecostal church believe it is a message from God. And that while most do not understand it, there will be someone who will hear the message and understand it. And be blessed by it.

This happened once in my church when I was younger.  One of the congregation spoke in a tongue he did not understand, and after the services, a visitor came up to him and told him I know you did not understand what you were saying but I am native american and you spoke our native language, and I know now what God wants me to do.

I'm don't remember which tribe he was from but he really seemed effected by it.

That will be from the "lying his face off to entrap the gullible" tribe !

1. Diane Inside profile image72
          Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

could have been who knows, I certainly didn't and I was there. But I just leave that for them to deal with. It didn't effect me so I just went my own way.

1. mom101 profile image60

ok. against my better judgement, I am going to comment. (I know there will be negative and opiniated remarks) Thats ok too.
            I was in a church service, non pentecostal, and toward the end of service, we had an altar call. It was open to anyone who had prayer requests. There were several people who went. The pastor of the church went around to each person there and asked if there was anything he could pray with them about. When he got to me, I answered him. And he said excuse me, I did not understand, could you please repeat it. I did, several times. Not one word did he understand. I just shook my head and continued to pray. On my way back to my seat, a little girl took me by the hand and said ma'am did you pray for me? And I asked her did she need someone to pray with her, and she said no ma'am, when you went to the altar, I saw a light around you and my heart felt warm, and my head stopped hurting.

Now, another time I went to a pentacostal campmeeting and way behind me a gentleman was praying in tounges and boy did I feel like making a new entrance (well, exit) to the place. But all at once, I started talking to the pastor of the church that I had went with and his wife. I had no clue as to what I was saying, but they did. No, I was talking in english, but I was intrepreting the mans prayer behind me.
            As who ever as my witness, I promise you, when I was talking to the pastors wife, I was telling her that I was ready to LEAVE, only that is not what came out.
            Both are true stories. And no, I have very mixed feelings about speaking in tongues.

5. earnestshub profile image79

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons18/10.jpg

6. profile image0

i swear some woman spoke in tongues one time when i gave her an orgasm.

You bragging you managed to give some woman one orgasm !  man you gotta lot to learn yet big_smile

1. profile image0
          ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One woman? haha I won't let your youth get in the way with a reply of my experiences beyond this. big_smile

2. profile image0

tongue Too much braggin' Ralwus! Too much braggin' You were probably drunk and stepped over her little toe, and thought the two of you were actually doing something... Can't believe the statement of a man hidin' behind a bottle. Sorry. lol

7. J.R. Smith profile image59
      J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

Perhaps Paul was suggesting that we speak many different ways rather than spout jibberish. It's no surprise that the gospels of Matthew,Mark John and Luke each had a vernacular that was unique and appropriate for a different walk of people. The actual languages were different,for one.(hebrew,latin and greek) but beyond that, each had unique phrasing found nowhere else in the bible. Maybe this was Paul's inferrencs that we can do no good unless we adapt our speech for the present audience.

8. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years ago

This is what I don't get - A Psychic medium begins to receive information from a spirit.Depending on the medium's method of falling into trance, they might say a few things in a different language or might feel a sudden shake. According to Christians, this is the work of Satan.
      A "born-again" Christian begins to speak in tongues (non of which makes any sense) and begins to shake their body out of control, sometimes to the point of extreme contortion. They call this receiving a message of God?
      In any case, supposing these are true messages from God,(and not a particular spirit) - Are they only reserved to the Born-Again Christians? The fact that something similar happens to a non-Christian means that it's the devil's work or demonic posession? I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to get some answers. So, please... I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I talk in my sleep. Some have said I speak German. I have, upon nearing wakefulness, heard myself talking in language I don't understand, nor can I identify. I call it egyptian! Not a christian, but do believe in "something"

1. profile image0

Druid, that happens to a lot of people, including me. I can only give it three explanations - 1. it's either a Spirit Guide of yours that takes advantage of the fact that you are in a trance-like state in an attempt to make himself/herself known to whoever you're with, or 2. It's a thought of past-life or parallel life that you've been able to connect to at that particular moment. (or 3. it's both) I have this theory, which I know other mediums share, that our Spirit Guides are nothing but other parallel lives we have.
          I know it's all very strange:) That's what I think, anyways.

there is a difference between the two.
        the christian does not shake or fall into a trance, eyelids do not flutter, there are supposed to be no spasms because:
        1 Corinthians 14:32 "And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets". (which means the giver is in full control of himself and aware of his environment)  We get visions and declare prophecy and speak in tongues but we are always aware of our surroundings. The spirit of god impresses us to speak in the spirit not by overpowering us or forcefully taking control of us, but by gentle firm inspirations which we detect and either speak or don't (it is always our choice). All those who "put on a show" are enjoying 'fleshy religion' and are not being in the Spirit of God. I blame this on group holy ghost baptizers who say... you already have the spirit now just speak it out. This is not according to scripture, the Baptism of the Holy Ghost is an event of its own and when it happens the person will know, we cannot drag it from heaven, or wrestle it from God, or bring this event on of our own strength or will. To desire the BHG is good but it is a gift of God that the person will get when they stop trying to bring it on in their own strength (lest any person should boast, it is a work of God upon the vessel when the vessel is fit for the 'enabler' or comforter. So these misguided people are speaking actual jibberish and not tongues but being so convinced they are enabled by the spirit of God they start to allow the spirit to manifest in other ways that is not god but just their own earnestness.
        A new comer in the realm of the gifts of the spirit might be a bit shaky even sweaty (there is some pressure in a crowd environment) but never falls down rolls around or shouldn't.
        And yes these gifts are prone to use by those baptized in the holy spirit a separate occurance from salvation which is the 'born again' process.

9. earnestshub profile image79

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons11/lester.jpg

10. earnestshub profile image79

http://www.edkrebs.com/herb/petoons27/br02.jpg

11. matthewchomba profile image67
      matthewchombaposted 13 years ago

Has someone wondered why the Holy Spirit seeks to take control of the tongue when he come upon someone.

Get your answer from http://hubpages.com/hub/Baptism-of-the- … f-Abraham/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)