curious question...dont christian worship statue of christ?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (35 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

do christian worship jesus christ as form or formless?

1. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My faith sustains Jesus as the Christ, a Savior and Redeemer.  However, great care is taken in such worship.  We do not display crosses or statues in our chapels.  People are easily reigned in to idol worship which is counter productive to one's own progress.

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how?...because if one worships idol ..mentally he/she is praying to same god as any other who is worshiping formless god..in end faith is same...so how is it counter productive?

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes they do.

It general, Catholics/Christians worship:
      An idol (statue)
      An idol (a book) &
      A man (who, yes, did those great works and made the sacrifice for them. And commanded them NOT to worship him.)

Then again, so it is with all religions,
      To worship/idolize something is to put it between you and Creator, even for a second, causing a division.
      This means ANYTHING made by Creator or by man, be it objects, thoughts, emotions, what have you. It is all idolatry.

Islam worships the Quran
      Judaism worships Torah
      Buddhism worships golden pagoda statues, etc.

This is Babylon.

And includes the equation side also:

intellectualism/education (the mind)
      atheism
      science
      mathematics

interesting point...

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
          couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I thought so, too.  I'd completely forgotten that He said not to worship Him, but His Father.  Oh, no, now we're going to get all kinds of people saying, "I thought they were the same personage".  As a preemptive disclaimer, don't ask me.  I don't know.

1. J.R. Smith profile image58
            J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right about that. It's interesting the thrill athiests get from arguing with christians. Kind of goes against their own belief of no belief. More of them are actually anti-religionists,but that isn't as PC.

2. kess profile image59
        kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

glad you save me the time and effort.

1. profile image0

smile

3. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

We respect the status of Christ, but don't worship. We worship God in the name of Jesus. God is #1,  Jesus is  #1 1/2, the half being the all man part as we are.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

One of the Ten Commandments states:

You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God.

Keyword: Anything smile

then why do we have statues of christ?...Islam has strict provision for that..they dont allow any imagination of allah and prohibit drawing muhammad and jesus as well...

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I dont know why some Churches have statues of Christ, when God said not too. Perhaps they will answer you.

ok...so as per bible it is not allowed..right?

Shouldn't be.  Key word "shouldn't."

Worship is shown in one's own actions, thoughts and intentions.  We aren't to hang our progress on the (e)motionless images of porcelain or stone.

but then why do we have statue pf christ to start with?..

I've no problem with a statue of Christ as long as it's in the interest of pondering and reflecting and not in a setting to be knelt down and worshipped to.

4. stilljustwonderin profile image61
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

Jesus is formless.  He is spirit.  I do have a small wooden cross, however I don't worship it.  It is just a statement of my belief.

Isn't this great!  That's the key to religious tolerance and understanding that I constantly preach about.  I believe that Jesus Christ is resurrected in perfected tangible flesh and bone.  Aside from that doctrine we do have common ground - Jesus Christ in whatever form we choose to believe him to be.  Variety in belief and concept is good in my opinion.  I thank you for your statement. smile smile

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused.  Are you saying that you believe that Jesus is alive today in human form?  I believe that he does dwell with in us, in our human form.
        Is that what your saying?

I believe that he lives in a perfected form of flesh and bone and resides at the right hand of the Father who I believe is also of perfected flesh and bone.  Tabernacles of flesh and bone were denied those who chose the path of Lucifer in the war in heaven before the world was.  I believe that physical bodies are essential to eternal progress and so we all, who chose Christ as our Savior before the world was, took on bodies in this life in order to progress and return to the presence of the Father. 

Not starting an argument but just stating my personal faith. smile

No, I don't want to argue.  We are each entitled to our own belief's.  I have never heard that one.  That's why I was curious.

Understandable.  It's not a common or well received faith in the Christian community. smile

2. pisean282311 profile image63

got that..then what is pic and statue which we see?...

Well,  it is like the pictures of my children that hang on my wall.  I love my children.  The pic and statue is like that.  I love Jesus.  He can't be destroyed.  The pic and statue can be.  They are just statements saying we love him.

ok..i got that..

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I meant to make that point too stilljustwonderin smile
      because I was just wondering I really like many images that represent peace or strength , like doves, fire, etc. so yes I agree those decorative ornaments or adornments are statements of either belief or beauty, or even an expression of enhancing an environment.

However when any thing or image becomes adored or made sacred,this is what I understand the Lord to be against as expressed via the Commandment.!
      The statue or image as we all know is not a living thing, therefore on its own is no more than plaster or stone , however when we adore or make it like a 'god' hearts then yes God has a made it known how he feels about that .

I agree.  The cross sitting on the top shelf of my computer desk, the angels scattered around, are decorative.  The cross, a statement that I do believe in Jesus and a gentle reminder of what he has done for us.  I don't worship it.  That decorative ornament can be destroyed.  Jesus can't be.

1. profile image58
          exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you covered that well sis,  so I do not need to say anything

Good morning brother! 
            Hope all is going well in your house this morning.
            Love ya

2. profile image0

Yet those very things are what draw the attention away from Creator and increase the lust of the eyes, thoughts, images in the mind.

It is from an object -image- that caused Adam to do what he did. He was lured by things around him, listened to another voice and took his focus off the Creator for an instant. The result, he created an illusion within himself that he was naked, afraid, ashamed, separated, powerful on his own, unworthy, etc etc etc. Setting him on a course straight to his own demise. He chose to put those things (natural, supernatural, mental) between he & Creator. That was the sin: choice. Choice is the ULTIMATE idol.

Interesting to understand, yes?

1. J.R. Smith profile image58
            J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say the Catholics are more guilty of this type of Idolatry. Their cathedrals are often full of idols. True christian doesn't even endorse worshipping a crucifix. It's an emblem of torture,no different then the rack,or an iron maiden.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this.  At least, that Jesus is Spirit.
      I too see the Cross as a statement and symbol of Christianity, a symbol of remembrance of His sacrifice and resurrection.  The vacant Cross, not a crucifix.  Hallelujah He is risen!
      I don't have any statues and neither do the church/churches I frequent.  I have owned pictures before that represented the likeness of Jesus, but those are similar to the Cross, a reminder of His Love.

5. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

uh no. read my hub, i think it's called why catholics pray to mary and why it's logical

anyway as a cradle catholic, i was never taught to worship statues. they are just nice to look at like holy pictures, they help us imagine what God looks like like holy pictures.

I've never worshipped a statue, it is idoltry.

1. skipper112 profile image60
      skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

words of wisdom, schoolgirlforreal,
      as a Catholic I have never worshipped a statue, nor do I worship anything except My Lord God Jesus Christ.
      As a Catholic I may ask Mary Queen of heaven to ask her son Jusus Christ to help me,I am still praying to Jesus not Mary or any other saint or person. As a Catholic I was taught to worship God.Never any statue, not even a statue of Jesus Christ. I conclude my prayers with Amen , never Amary
      God bless

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)