What motivates you to write?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Freeway Flyer profile image82
    Freeway Flyerposted 13 years ago

I've really enjoyed writing over the last year, but I often find myself wondering why the heck I am doing this. The prospect seems pretty slim that I will ever make enough money to even come close to justifying the time investment. So what compels me to keep going? What (honestly) compels you to write? Is it mostly about money, or is it something more?

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

1. My interests can be shared with others.

2. I find it relatively easy to write

3. The money is passive income

How do I stay motivated......Well, I know this is not a get rich quick site, which I think many new comers think it is....but the possibility of created $100-1500 monthly income is great because its PASSIVE, and self employment allows you to be your own boss and not deal with anxiety.

The reason I say that amount is because I believe that's what many successful hubbers make, and if you think about it the top hubbers have only been writing few years on hubpages, but they worked hard and stayed consistent....Now they reap the awards of passive income

2. Daddy Paul profile image64
      Daddy Paulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do it in my spare time. All i have to do is turn on the TV and I am ready to shut it off and write some more.

3. profile image0
      L a d y f a c eposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What compels me to write is the need to share all of this crazy that's in my head. Really though, the desire to connect with people, and share with people. The sense of pride and accomplishment I feel when someone appreciates my work, or even better, when someone takes something away from it.

1. Freeway Flyer profile image82
        Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm largely with you. There is something inherently gratifying about seeing someone get something out of what you have shared. I'm also a teacher, and both writing and teaching at their best are gratifying for similar reasons.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it's mostly about $$ you'll never make it nor will your hubs be passionate and that's what sells, passion in your writing!! :-)

5. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy learning, as I do my research I like to produce a hub when the information is still fresh in my mind.

It has taken me several months to put together certain hubs.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

True Freedom! smile big_smile

3. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I seem to be following Cags around the forum tonight... wink

4. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I write because I love to write, and getting some money every month for it is great! It took some time, but I have learned a lot writing here, and have met some really great people.

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

yeah, great people, for real
      also it takes time to make money but once you're making it, I hear it's pretty steady if you maintain, am I right?

5. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Not doubting whether or not I am any good at writing!

I like seeing my works on the front pages of search engines and knowing that the average time spent reading my work is 4.45 minutes. That means I have no reason to doubt whether people appreciate my work.. and with the bounce rates and % of repeat readers that I have, it also means that they do appreciate it far more than they would if I was trying to selling basting brushes for turkeys!
    There are still some of us here who write creatively and with passion...
    Though with all due respect to those who write reviews... those that do well at writing reviews are often those that have used a good balance of passion within the sales script...
    Though conversely there are also many who appear to be a little too passionate with the turkey or the brush! lol

To me it's about being unique, genuine and honest - which in itself seems to be quite unique smile This gives you the power to always be real... and consequently carry that into your writing.

And if it is about making money... then develop your own sites and don't prostitute them to Google and co.

1. profile image0
      Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Pearldiver,
      Great comment, but I just have to ask... This is the second thread you have mentioned basting brushes and Turkey. Are you having your Thanksgiving day dinner, or are you making a shopping list today?

Damn, now I have this strange craving for a turkey sandwich tongue

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Guys... Nope... More of a Subtle Promo for the Current Forum Troll that got me banned recently for telling it to respect women!
        It writes incredibly misleading reviews on Pizza Cutters and Basting Brushes... roll

So... Yeah if the Turkey Fits!! lol

I've Always Been Allergic to Fakes and Snake Oil Salesmen! hmm

1. profile image0
          Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey PD,
          Thanks for the info, that makes more sense to me now. I can stay on my diet and not eat that turkey sandwich. smile
          I am sorry to hear that you got banned for just being a gentleman, and standing up for us ladies. 
          You just go ahead and bash that "Turkey" with "basters" all you want mate. I hope you "slice" him up good lol

Get it slice? as in pizza slice? big_smile

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nice post!

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

unique, genuine and honest!! awesome smile

4. Freeway Flyer profile image82
      Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't tried writing reviews yet, which may explain the lack of money. I have a few ideas for reviews in my head, however, and turkey basters are not likely to make the list. Instead, they will be about stuff I really like and know a little about: Disneyland, racquetball, music, etc. We'll see where that goes, but for now, it will still be the impractical philosophic/academic stuff. It may not be profitable, but at least it's fun.

6. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Pain [emotion]

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

writing is theraputic, you can write about practically anything you want

8. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

My voice has something to say and cannot be stopped until it has said what needs to be said.

9. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

What inspires me to write is to get out of the loneliness and share my views.

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I write because otherwise I'd be talking out loud all the time, and you know how people look at you then.

Better to let it out.

And yes, gratification from helping others is a large part of what keeps me going.  But sometimes I just have something I need to say and it's a lot easier to do this than rent a hall.

11. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

My stress level motivates me to write....

12. Victoria Stephens profile image74
    Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

I'm a tiny blonde, young minded woman that spent lots of years in college.

What does that mean for me?

Well, most people look at my playful manner, my blonde hair and assume I don't know 'anything' and refuse to listen to any views that I put across.

My friends who know I'm a bit of a secret geek already come to me for a lot of technical stuff they need to know about or have already heard waaaayy too much of it!  So it's great to have somewhere where I can share as much info about stuff as I want to or have time to (and people are listening) yea!!!  :-)

Only wish I'd have found hubpages sooner.  I don't even care about the money, I just love writing about the things I know about (or think I know about) lol.xxx

13. sydney123456 profile image53
    sydney123456posted 13 years ago

my picture is my kid and my neace they love me and they were always with me. but i have no money no food................ and some food to go and take it down but no i do not and i have some news in steptember 1th .and i was on here and my brithday is october the 8th so the thing i hang  with this so i need to ask you a answer when's you brithday like i have some to and noboddy can stop me cuase we have aleram froce .and make it luckey for me but .no

14. sydney123456 profile image53
    sydney123456posted 13 years ago

and the music great

15. lekanabolarin profile image60
    lekanabolarinposted 13 years ago

mine is just a bit different. I am not used to writing in the first instance but since i figured the economical importance and how it can help me to really express myself i have decided to have a rethink. i am new in this lovely site and want to know the reason why i should continue to remain in this site. thank you in anticipation

16. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Wow, some great reasons here.  Social issues, politics and relationships are my passion.  Good question too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)