Tis the Season for Copied Content!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 13 years ago

I keep checking my stats here hoping to see many little red arrows. Instead all I am seeing is red copyright symbols!  I have seen an increase in the past few weeks and again this morning.  I have written to the "authors" of the articles that have been plagiarized, contacted the site ( if I could find a contact)and even e mailed Hubpages.  It just doesn't seem to stop nor does anything get resolved. it's just frustrating.  Well that's my little rant for today...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

HubPages won't help you. If the sites have AdSense you can report them to AdSense.

2. rotl profile image61
      rotlposted 13 years ago

Could you please clarify what you mean... I guess I'm not familiar with this phenomenon... people are copying your content and using it on other sites? And HubPages notifies you of this with a copyright symbol?

Thanks!

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In My Account, HubPages has a page to notify you if it detects your content published on other sites. It happens quite a lot, especially once you get to be a popular hubber here:

http://hubpages.com/my/copied

1. rotl profile image61
          rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks kerryg... I don't see such a link in my account... maybe you have to get a certain amount of traffic for hubpages to care?

2. warchild75 profile image65
          warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

When i click on that link it says i am not authorised to view it,why is this?

2. Ms Chievous profile image66
        Ms Chievousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes..It seems to be happening more around the Holidays too. It seems the people who plagiarize don't care if they are obvious either.  For instance someone named Mohammed something or other copied word for word one of my make up hubs.  The beginning of my hub begins with something like "OK ladies lets talk about makeup"

3. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years ago

I am so tired of people copying my hubs!! Some of these sites have no way to contact them, and I've discovered that many are foreign - like from Nigeria.

I'm with you Habee.  I have discovered several sites that have no way to contact an administrator.  I believe these site originate from India but I really have no real way of knowing. It is really frustrating

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

they seem to originate from anywhere. sometimes you can find them with the whois.com site.  I recently had one from some guy who took one of my Paris hubs which was a very personal account and it was copied word for word, describing MY experience but he changed the gender as if it were his experience meeting his female friend! I finally found who owned the domain and it was removed. But it was very time consuming!

hope you get yours worked out.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

If it helps, I had one that kept showing up as duplicate. I reported it to Google and Adsense was removed. Then it popped up again with no Adsense. Now the copyright symbol is gone.

Just saying that it may not be permanent, many of those sites do not have a long existence.

I reported a site to Adbrite once.. but it is still up and running...sad

5. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years ago

It is very unfortunate that there are so many people out there willing to steal your work, and trust me it is a problem that never goes away.

Every so often I do a clear out and contact everyone who has stolen a particular article, for the most part though I only target the stolen articles which begin to rank.

6. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 13 years ago

Ah, the joys of HubPages making the top 50-most visited sites as rated by Quantcast... 

I have found that contacting the ISP (the company hosting the website) of sites where the owner won't take down plagiarized material to be very effective.

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that little gem Relache.  I've had a couple of sites remove my stolen article but two (pressbox and linkroll) aren't replying to me so I'll try the ISP next.

As others have said, its time consuming and extremely annoying.

7. crazybeanrider profile image86
      crazybeanriderposted 13 years ago

It is most frustrating when you can't do a thing about it. I have had articles where I have quoted myself,  using my own name in the article. And the person who plagiarized it didn't even bother to change the name. I am in the process of contacting the ISP, hopefully that will resolve it.

8. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Trouble is that is so time consuming, and so often they don't respond.  I have found that articles copied onto sites in China to be the hardest to get rid of.

Still, I always raise a little cheer when I get an email saying that a copied article has been removed from a site!

9. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 13 years ago

I only bother with sites that are reputable (like Yahoo Answers, Blogger, etc) and they always respond to take-down requests. I don't bother with any of the .cn and other spam sites; they don't respond, but I doubt Google will ever get them to rank, either.

The filled-in text that HubPages provides definitely makes it easier.

10. Urbane Chaos profile image89
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

I guess this is a lot more common than I thought it was..  Thankfully, I haven't had any of my hubs entirely copied, but I'm sure that it'll happen eventually.  I wouldn't even know how to deal with that..

I hope that eventually, one day, someone will figure out a way to keep it from happening.. I just can't believe that people would be like that.. it just baffles me.

11. profile image50
      yongeeposted 13 years ago

I've noticed some sites using automatic system to steal contents from places like hub pages or squidoo...etc

12. Peter-Jan Celis profile image61
      Peter-Jan Celisposted 13 years ago

These people do what is called "blackhat SEO" - they create tons of sites as automated as possible which makes it viable to make a 'return' even if the site stays online for a little time.

13. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years ago

I am speechless and I think how can this be going on, as you have worked hard to create something to be stolen by someone. Hope you find the culprits.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'll find it's an unfortunately common occurance, due to how unregulated the internet is.

14. Set's All Set profile image66
      Set's All Setposted 13 years ago

one of my hubs was published word for word from some lowlife on Squidoo. I contacted Squidoo and nothing happened to them. It was an invasion of my privacy also. The scumbag got my real name from ezine articles and found my hub. Then he posted my hub and added my REAL NAME! No word from Squidoo. I was considering joining Squidoo to diversify but that experience has turned me off. I have since disabled my Ezine account since it didn't do me any good.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

let us see what will squidoo do as I had written them about my copied content, and they replied telling me that I need to contact the poster. There is no way to contact the poster there - email etc. Can they not see it immediately that even my username was copied?? Anyway that poster there all copied the content of his lenses. I will wait for one more week, then I can report with DMCA.

Snipsly immediately removed my content which was copied there. I am turned off with squidoo.

15. wearing well profile image75
      wearing wellposted 13 years ago

I have found HubPages to be efficient at removing copied personal content.I have even experienced a personal email reply from a question asked by another hubber to myself, being used word for word as a hub;how sad is that!I ironically mentioned too in my reply to this hubber thief,that I could write a hub about it too:)
      It's not nice to have something of personal value stolen from you and then to think that,that person is profiteering from you!

16. Amanda Sarvis profile image59
      Amanda Sarvisposted 13 years ago

There's no limit to how low people will stoop when the almighty dollar is involved, unfortunately.  I'm new to Hubpages- this thread definately gave me a heads-up on copied content.  I'll be keeping my eyes open in the future...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)