Critique Please

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Nolapete profile image72
    Nolapeteposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Refurbis … s-Aquarium

Most of my hubs start at 50 then go up from there, but this one instantly started at 49 and has gone down to 44.  I'm still new to Hubpages, though I've learned a lot so far, but this stumps me altogether.

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would not worry about the score at all. I've had some at 40, now in the 80's. The thing you want to focus on is it easily picked up on search engines. Also are those keywords that you chose searched for a lot. Also I am no expert in tags, but like Urbane Chaos said, some of your tags are useless.

Honestly I would say that is a very good hub. What I would do however is maybe add an amazon add or two(always worth it to try and sell a couple products).

The score is affected by pictures.. So if you add more pictures with your text, you will get a higher score.

Once again very good hub, it will easily make it to the 80s.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure about that Mikey? Pictures make a hub easier to read, but they are not mandatory and I've never heard of them affecting hub scores.

The more pictures I have, the better my hubscores have been. Yeah, it seems that way to me. It is not fact at all, but I like pictures more than text anyway, and so do many other people. I've always been that way, so I'm trying to target people like me.

My little cousin, so he doesn't have to read goes to youtube. I think they keep people on sites longer, because it is something to look at.

I however am testing my theory still. I do use the pictures to make my hubs look better, I don't just throw them anywhere.

If I didn't have pictures in this hub..
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Call-of-Duty-Bl … -Perk-List
          I am sure it would be somewhere near a 60.

I think it is because of more capsules. Another theory of mine.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Now you have changed what you said - you started off saying "The Hubscore is affected by pictures" which you have now modified to say that is in your opinion, which is quite different.

It is really important that what we post in the forums is accurate. Newbies learn from our experiences.

In your experience pictures raise your hubberscore, but they do not in general. They make a hub easier to read which in turn can gain us more viewers, which in turn may raise our hubscore.

A well-written hub without pictures can easily achieve a high hub score.

You did not need to post a link here - that is called self-promotion and is frowned upon.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
              Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification Izzy.  I feel like the only one that dislikes pictures.  I appreciate they make a hub attractive, and can add to pieces particularly life style stuff, DIY and so on - but I am writing mainly for people who can read.

1. Pcunix profile image90
                Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am 98% in agreement. 

People like pictures, but like you, I often don't bother with them.  It has never hurt my traffic or earnings.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
              Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, I don't care if the pictures raise hubscores or not - what is important is if they add something or not to the article. 

If you write an article about framing trusses and then try to verbally illustrate what the different trusses look like without using pictures, more than likely the reader will clickoff faster than you can say, "lost my adsense". Mikes example is a good one to share in that regards, as it helps illustrate his article in a way that his target audience desires.  It simply depends on the article.

On the other hand, many purely informational articles do better without pictures, as the reader is looking mainly for the information.  Mark does a good job at getting to the point without a lot of fluff.  When I'm looking for specific information, that's what I like to see.  I like to get in and get out - and if I see something else that catches my eye I might follow that link.

Hubscore is irrelevant.  Gaining readers and producing a quality product is.

1. Pcunix profile image90
                Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

However, I am surprised to return here and still find such a low score on that hub.  On the face of it, it does not make sense.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
                  Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here.. really, I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would give it a low score..

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
                Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Urbane.  About the no fluff thing I mean.

2. Brupie profile image67
      Brupieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you might be getting punished for content that is a little shop worn.  I did a quick check under "aquariums" and found over 1000 hubs.  It is going to be hard to stand out in that kind of a crowd unless you have a really unusual angle.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Man, it doesn't look bad at all..  Sometimes hubs will just do that, no matter how good they are.  I've had some of mine drop down, and then a month later they're back at the top of the list.

My only suggestion is to move your first picture down a little so that adsense shows up first thing.  It's always best to keep as many ads "above the fold" as you can.  In other words, you want your best ads to appear as soon as the page is opened. Maybe do some research on SEO, but that's about it.

It's a great looking hub, and you've laid out the information extremely well.  I wouldn't worry too much..

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I had a quick look and your hub certainly looks to be well-written, informative and well-laid out.
    Perhaps the problem lies with your tags? Tags like broken, how, old  and glass is pretty much useless.
    Try changing to tags to words that are relevant to your hub, like 'refurbish an aquarium' or 'glass aquarium' - words that are more defined.

4. Nolapete profile image72
    Nolapeteposted 13 years ago

Thanks everyone.  I modified some of the tags.  Still learning on what types of tags I should have.  Some of the tags the suggester makes don't make any sense to me.  I also moved the picture down to the next section.

What you also want to work on is.. If you search for

How to refurbish an aquarium, CONGRATS! You're in first place! Now you need to get yourself in front on other search terms other than that!

Go to search and try to search for "how to fix up an aquarium". You could be there too.

The more you are at the top, the more traffic.

Good luck dude!

2. IzzyM profile image87

The HP tag suggester is rubbish and best ignored  - they occasionally throw up good ones but its best to choose your own.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I still think it could be the tags. I'm still learning about tags myself, but I think if the tags lead to other hubs that is a good thing.
    So while he has now got 'remove silicone', when you click on it, it leads only to his hub and so is best removed. 'Silicone' on the other hand, (which he's got too) leads to 467 hubs, which strengthens the hub.
    I'm not sure about this but I think we really want all our tags to lead to others, unless we have a group of tags written round the same tag in which case they will all be strengthened.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)