Is word spelling still important in any written communication?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (54 posts)
  1. DON BALDERAS profile image69
    DON BALDERASposted 13 years ago

Is word spelling still important in any written communication?

1. NateSean profile image65
      NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Care to elaborate?

Obviously solid grammar is key to making other people realize that you're not a lost cause. Beyond that, I suppose there are limitations.

DON BALDERASposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good writing I believe carries careful use of words and spelling.

2. classicalgeek profile image83
      classicalgeekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Considering that a misspelling can completely change the meaning of a word, yes. Consistent misspellings can make your text unreadable.

This reminds me of a Benny Hill episode, where he was having trouble getting the actors to say the lines properly. One was meant to ask, "What's that in the road ahead?" and instead asked "What's that in the road, a head?"

That's funny. That would be tragic for a speaker. But if it is intentional, then it must be something. Thanks.

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. wink

4. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes definitely as your written words replace spoken words on the internet, unless it's a podcast or online broadcast.  If the sentence or article has lots of spelling mistakes, it detracts from its content thus rendering it incomprehensible, as the gist of what has been expressed gets lost in the reader trying to figure out what 'has been written'.

The online dictionary is useful for this reason and should be used if in doubt!

It might look like a maze in a forest.

5. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

....yep!

Qwark

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, otherwise people might misunderstand what you are trying to say.

7. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes, if you want the important people to take you seriously.

8. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

Or more specifically: bad spelling impairs communication.

9. Don Fairchild profile image71
      Don Fairchildposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK, here is the deep thinking answer to your question.   Civilization has always striven to try and better themselves as they muddle their way through life.
      When reading anything I try to find a level of talent and expertise that is greater than my own.   In this way I am bettering myself by being discriminating about what I read.
      When you ask me to ignore your failings in spelling, I have to wonder what other failings you have and if they are of interest to me.   
      Try going through life to be better than you are now, you will have a richer and fuller life.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Yes, it is.  Unless you are writing in a language that allows for more than one correct spelling of a word (such as English, e.g. color, colour - humor, humour), you have a responsibility as a writer to spell correctly so that it does NOT detract from the value of your writing.  If it does, and becomes bothersome to the reader, they're going to walk away from what you have to say - not because you aren't saying it well, but because you appear to have given no thought to its presentation.  Just my opinion.

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

omg, I totally agree with you!  but, I gotta wonder, why are there many writers with poor spelling, grammer, punctuation, and a limited vocabulary so successful?

2. DON BALDERAS profile image69

Writing is for the readers. By being careful with word spelling, you also take care of your readers.

3. DON BALDERAS profile image69
      DON BALDERASposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What do you thing would be its effects? to the writer? and to the written article?

1. profile image0

No credibility by anyone who is educated.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Is word spelling still important in any written communication?" Only if you don't care if you appear to be an idiot.

Correct, care for readers is important.

4. truthfornow profile image71
    truthfornowposted 13 years ago

Yes, especially in regards to the purpose of your communication.  Obviously, text messages might involve spelling shortcuts and cover letters for job interviews should contain proper spelling and grammar.

I agree.

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Know!  You're spllng & grmmr dont rilly matter two anywon. There out a dated an ot too be tost.  wink

This is funny. You're consistent.

6. dml42 profile image60
    dml42posted 13 years ago

Spelling is critical if you want to be taken seriously.  The power of the word is highly diminished by not taking the time to spell your words right.

True.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

If am not a perfect speller by any means, but I do take the trouble to try to do it right.

If everyone is consistent, it is so much easier to avoid misunderstanding-- which can be the cause of serious conflict.

In writing, which does not include the advantages of facial expression, gestures, tonal fluctuations and body language-- it is all the more important to take care in using correct and consistent forms as much as possible.

Writers do have to take an effort to check whether they have written their words correctly or not. It's not really a one-shot deal.

8. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

Absolutely! Consistently poor spelling (and poor grammar) destroys the author's credibility in my view.

Who would want to be troubled by words in this troubled world?

9. tnderhrt23 profile image75
    tnderhrt23posted 13 years ago

For me as a reader, bad spelling will lose me quicker than anything. As a writer, spelling absolutely lends to credibility, in my opinion. Spelling, grammar and structure are critical to effective, intelligent communication, in my book.

I would like to have a copy of that book you wrote. Thanks.

10. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Spelling is an interesting problem.
    My spelling in any language but English sucks! Some would say I ain't too good in English either! I speak and spell Australian English OK though! smile

Seriously, I think it matters, I trip over words when they are misspelled. It breaks in to my mind somehow.
    I wish I didn't make any errors, but am still finding them in older articles I have written. smile

Spelling indicates education.

11. Amelia Blick profile image60
    Amelia Blickposted 13 years ago

Spelling, grammar and punctuation do matter.

This reminds me of that sentence where a mis-placed comma changes the meaning of a sentence entirely:

'It's time to eat grandmother.'

as opposed to

'It's time to eat, grandmother.' ;-)

That;s funny.

12. Scosgrove profile image61
    Scosgroveposted 13 years ago

As a reader, whenever I encounter spelling errors in a post, the author immediately loses authority over their writing.

It's all about credibility. If you're doing an article on "dachshunds" and the first sentence is, "Dacksuns are a small dog," the majority of readers will immediately stop reading.

Right. I have come across books containing misspelled words and they are contaminating even the readers' minds especially those who believe that everything in the books speaks of truth.
      Thanks Scosgrove.

13. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 13 years ago

I can answer this question in one word:  Yes.

Whether love letters, cover letters with resumes, memos, etc. spelling counts. Poor spelling reveals a lot about the author.

Ha ha. I remember a signage which spells 'VOLGANIZING' for vulcanizing. But for people who don't really mind it, as long as it sounds the same, word spelling really doesn't matter.

14. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm a big fan of correct spelling. People who have more trouble with spelling than others have the benefit of spell checker.  It definitely matters in anything other than, maybe, personal notes/letters to a loved one who doesn't care if the one who wrote them can spell.  smile

Yeah, right. Anybody needs to observe correct spelling of words, careful and meticulous. Thanks Liza HW.

2. cindi h profile image59
      cindi hposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too am a huge fan of the English language. It remains my biggest pet peeve when I hear or see words misspelled or mispronounced. I believe the written, as well as the verbal, usage of words is a veritable indication of one's intelligence.

15. Esquae profile image59
    Esquaeposted 13 years ago

I think it's an absolute disgrace that I work with some people who have a university degree and they can't even spell simple words.

One of my colleagues said that they accidently wrote "Invalid" (Disabled or handicapped person) when they meant to write "Invalid" (Incorrect). They were shocked to find out that they are both written the same.

It makes it even worse that we are English

16. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

“Spelin en gramer duznt matte nomor. Itz not wot yu sez orrite, itz ow much yuk an saye it fur ow long meny werds, innit”?

nose bleed...

17. wwriter profile image76
    wwriterposted 12 years ago

Writing with correct spelling and grammar make it easier on the reader. Taking the time to spell check shows that you care for the reader.

How would a reader react should there be a misspelled word?

18. jessicaaleigh profile image61
    jessicaaleighposted 12 years ago

I think it is always important. I get so frustrated (even in texting) when people use "u" instead of "you," "2" instead of "two" or "to/too." I think using abbreviations and texting language makes you kind of seem like a joke, or ignorant, to be honest.

Which would you think matters in texting, the spelling or the message sent?

1. profile image0

Well, if the message is basic, it's not an issue. However, when writing, the message is seldom basic, and adequate understanding to the reader is important.

19. abbykorinnelee profile image53
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

Spelling should be important as I think it can change the tone of what your saying.  I don't tthink in texting it matters to many.  The shortening and abbrievations make it easier to keep the sentances short. However as I learned from a friends mistake on little miss in text like not putting an LOL down can really affect what you are saying and cause problms in the friendship.  It also is how sometimes we judge the intelligence of others.  I am an awful speller:)

20. bookkus profile image60
    bookkusposted 11 years ago

Spelling is important if you want to be taken seriously. It is like talking with grammar.
    If you can't spell how can you create a quality argument or give important information when you can't master the basics of speech. Sure if you have a reputation it might not matter, but to strangers it is the first impression.

What if I wrot lik thes the hole time? Wood you truste my ides the first time yu met me?

I don't think you would. You would stop reading.

21. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

You have asked this on a site where people write to try and make a living, so the answer will always be yes. Ask a classroom full of teenagers who are busy texting and they'll say no. The English language adapts and changes over time - words such as texting, sexting etc. now exist in the dictionary because they are widely used. Many common words we all use today have adapted over time - it's a natural element of the language for spelling to change over time. What we consider correct spelling today can and will change over time!

Of course I believe that we should encourage good spelling and grammar....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)