There ARE Limits to Crazy (even in AZ)

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

PHOENIX (AP) -Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Monday vetoed a bill that would have required President Barack Obama and other presidential candidates to prove their U.S. citizenship before their names could appear on the state's ballot. The bill would have made Arizona the first state to pass such a requirement. Opponents had warned the bill would give another black eye to Arizona after last year's controversy over the state's illegal immigration enforcement law.

Brewer said in her veto letter that she was troubled that the bill empowered Arizona's secretary of state to judge the qualifications of all candidates when they file to run for office. "I do not support designating one person as the gatekeeper to the ballot for a candidate, which could lead to arbitrary or politically motivated decisions," said Brewer, who was secretary of state until she became governor in 2009. "

In addition, I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for president of the greatest and most powerful nation on Earth to submit their 'early baptismal circumcision certificates' among other records to the Arizona secretary of state..."

1. SandyMcCollum profile image65
      SandyMcCollumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They aren't asking for circumcision records, just a birth certificate. It's not too much to ask, especially to be the leaders of our country. Just mho.

Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He's posted his BC. There is no doubt among sane people. The research turned up 2 birth announcements in local papers which they obtained from public records at the hospital. Back then, birth announcements & obituaries were published as news.

You have to twist reality completely out of shape to conclude with no evidence that a woman late in the 3rd trimester would go to a 3rd world country and then hurry back to the US to plant false birth announcements to ensure her son could become POTUS.

NONE of the birther stories has any proof that puts Obama's mother in Kenya. It's rumormongering.

IMO most birthers are racists whose head exploded (figuratively speaking) when a black man was elected. They have been in total denial since and the birther conspiracy is all a weak excuse.

1. DTR0005 profile image61
          DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. I mean it is ok to say, "hey I don't like the idea of a black guy being president..." I could respect that more than all this birther horseshit.

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It wouldn't make much difference unfortunately, many of these conspiracy theorists and Obama haters are simply stupid to a degree that defies description, so they would just come up with a heap of horse droppings about his wife, his kids, or even his dog.
            The loonies may sink America yet, which seems to be in keeping with their general thrust towards "end times" smile

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

man.... asking people to verify that they meet the qualifications of the job they wish to acquire?

LUDICROUS

ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

... i wish no one would ask to see my teacher's license before I get a job --- That would save me a lot of money in grad school!

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But wouldn't you be a bit peed off if you were far and away the best candidate for the job but it turned out there was doubt about you being born in the US and the job went to some klutz who could barely write his own name?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

providing qualifications for a job is in no way "crazy".

Agreed, how do I earn a US birth certificate then?
            All my other qualifications have been earned, no accidents of birth.

Amend the constitution if you have a problem with it.

... oh ... wait.. LOL

2. Doug Hughes profile image60

Evan - where does it mention 'birth certificate' in the Constitution?

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, Doug.  big_smile

Pretty: I didn't mention Birth certificates, Doug didn't mention birth certificates, and neither did the OP.

So... his point there completely backfired on him.

1. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I get that.  I thought he was joking anyway.  It struck me as funny because it's a common comeback among conservatives here, but they're serious.

I was joking. The point behind the jest was that it's ridiculous for states to add constitutional requirements beyond what's in the Constitution.

What's particularly notable is that a bat-shit crazy conservative governor is drawing a line against the teabaggers.

why is it strange to have a state ask for more than what the Federal Constitution requires? They're different political entities.

The UN makes laws, but we have laws in addition to them! Same thing!

Evan - The governor saw what you didn't. It's a bad idea for 50 states to have 50 different standards for qualifying for federal office.

It's a REALLY bad idea to allow one person in the state arbitrarily decide if the leading candidate from the opposition doesn't qualify. And I would feel exactly the same way if it was in a state which leans democratic. The whole concept of free and fair elections demands it.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

where does it say "birth certificate" in your OP?

BURNED.

Anyway, this is the requirement to be president:

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

So... you have to prove you're 35 YO, living here for 14 years, and that you were a natural born citizen.

I don't care what documentation is required, but those are the requirements.

But note "at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution,"

So nobody alive is qualified!

Ha!

I like that, actually!

lol

I could argue that it is the sloppiest bit of legalese I've seen in a long time.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
                  Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem with that is that you ignored the "or."
                  You have to be a natural born citizen, or a citizen at the time of the adoption of the Constitution. They had to put that second clause in there, otherwise none of the founders, not even George Washington, would have been qualified to be president, and they'd have had to wait at least 35 years for a natural born citizen to be old enough.
                  Conjunctions are important. tongue

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Also... where did I mention birth certificates?

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Huh!
      I would've thought Brewer, of all people, would keep enough guts to realize that if the Federal Government now under the rule of an enigmatic usurper hasn't got the guts to defend the Constitution, then the States should set an example.   But I guess she's scared.  Reckon the strong-arm tactics of Eric Holder under Obama is enough to scare anybody.   He and his ilk have broken the barrier between common patriotic sense and craziness already, 10 times over.

yeah, i'm curious why "proving you meet the qualifications for the job" could be considered "crazy".

That's... a relief!

To be a teacher, I have to know Japanese, have a Grad degree, have a license, and have passed numerous tests....

... but I don't have to prove it!

Coulda saved myself about $80k!! damn!!

I am curious Evan why what he has provided doesn't meet muster with the whack-fringe? That is likewise a head-scratcher.

IT DOESN'T SAY THAT OBAMA HASN'T PROVIDED ENOUGH PROOF!!!

IT JUST SAYS THAT ARIZONA WANTS TO MAKE IT LAW THAT YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT!!!

THEY'RE PASSING A LAW THAT REQUIRES THE PRESIDENT-TO-BE TO PROVE THAT S/HE MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS!! THAT'S NOT A CRAZY THING TO DO!!!

2. profile image0

No kidding!

2. DTR0005 profile image61

Ms. Brewer is about as nuts as they come Sister Brenda. Have you not noticed that your political "movement" is coming undone at the seams?

1. profile image0

Possibly, it is, I dunno.
          If it is, it's only because they keep letting Obama play card after card and are too afraid to call his bluff.
          As soon as we get a real statesman in the White House, that should change everything for the better.  I'm very hopeful!

And that real statesman is Donald Trump? or a Mormon  - how do either one of these individuals set with your core religious beliefs? A billionaire with an extremely sketchy personal and business history isn't going to survive the scrutiny. The Tea Party is played-out. It started out with noble goals but quickly became the whore of the corporate elite.

1. profile image0

I dunno about "played out".....but I do think the Tea Party is fast becoming something it was never meant to be----a political Party.  We don't need another Party.  What we need is a reformation of the Democratic Party, starting with throwing out Obama and his minions.

I didn't say anything about Trump or anyone else.   I said we need a Statesman.  I've got no idea who that would be.

Fair enough.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
                Mighty Momposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the Democratic Party wants or needs reformation from Republicans.
                The GOP, on the other hand, is sadly in need of reformation.
                The 2010 election notwithstanding, the party is in disarray and having a severe identity crisis.
                If the Tea Party doesn't want to be a third party, then they need to get their story straight with the GOP leadership.

2. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

“Birther” is a “code word.”  Its politics predate the ‘neocon.’  They go right back to the eugenics movement, the real birthplace of “conservatism.”  They go right back to Nazi Germany and the belief that those of Northern European ancestry are the only real humans.

Everyone else is an “ape” of sorts.

The email with the photo you see above is only one of dozens I receive each week.  I check where they come from.  Most that I receive originate from Republican political groups or veterans organizations.  No attempt is made to hide it.

The “political art” traces back to groups tied to the Heritage Organization and American Enterprise Institute.

“Think tanks”

--Gordon Duff. He's talking about the e-mail from that woman in Orange County, of Obama's parents being monkeys. She made Olbermann's "worst person in the world", on FOK TV.

And there's that Nazi reference again...

I think these Obama conspiracy theorists should google the name Shicklegruber. Maybe tell us the results of that research, since they are SO diligent, and want to "find the truth" wink

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Well, McCain was born in Panama....
    How come no outburst about him not being born here?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because in spite of being born in Panama, McCain's parents were both US citizens, and one of them was an active duty serviceman. He's legally a natural-born US citizen. And there was no outburst because when this was explained to the folks who brought it up during the '08 campaign, those folks said, "Oh. Well, okay then." and they let it go, because unlike the birthers, they were able to do things like process information and think critically.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

early baptismal circumcision records?
    I thought only Jews made a religious ceremony out of snipping.
    Aren't most circumcisions done in the hospital???
    Also, by even mentioning "circumcision" Gov. Brewer is presupposing all candidates would be male.
    I doubt even extreme birther Sarah Palin would agree to provide her circumcision certificate! lol

Right on all counts.

5. Maembe profile image59
    Maembeposted 13 years ago

Good, respectable move by Brewer.  You have to be an American citizen to get the job anyway.  Why embarrass the entire state by passing a law to show support for the birfer conspiracy theory?

6. ForeclosureDJens profile image60
    ForeclosureDJensposted 13 years ago

wow! this is too funny. thank god some people have common sense still.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)