Do Secret Societies Actually Exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (119 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Fairly simple question. smile big_smile

Answers?

Btw- I didn't know/wasn't sure, where to put the topic. If anyone can think of category to put it into, then by all means report the thread and have it moved. wink

Thank you in advance. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course they do. We already know about the Masons and the Bilderbergers, so they are not so secret anymore, but for sure there are more.

There are too many things to puzzle over for there not to be. I've been doing a lot of researching these last few days on a topic, and each question throws up more questions.

There has to another movement afoot. Maybe it is the Masons - just because we know they exist does not mean we know how they operate.

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Appreciate your input. smile

2. Sunnyglitter profile image82
      Sunnyglitterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe they exist, even though my boyfriend thinks I'm just paranoid.

Much appreciated Sunny. And, as for the boyfriend who thinks you're paranoid...well, I'll leave that alone. lol

3. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe yes - there are too many unexplained things that go on to blame on UFOs

Good answer. lol

2. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean we got'ta stop blamin' UFO's....

Dog gone it!

4. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course secret societies don't exist!

*whistles innocently*

lol lol lol

1. seanorjohn profile image71
          seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How easily are some people amused.

Easily amused?

"whistles innocently" is what I was laughing at. If you don't get, I can understand. hmm

If you don't get.......Did you mean to write "it".

Typos happen from time to time. wink No one is perfect, not even you. wink

They are not typos, you are illiterate, but you make yourself out to be some kind of philosopher.

Make myself out to be some kind of philosopher....boy you're definitely out in left field somewhere.

Name any given time I have laid any claim to being a philosopher. And, I'll gladly admit that I have lied.

I have gone to great lengths to establish that I am not one. So, it goes to show your inability to distinguish from reality and fantasy. Good job. You must be really proud of yourself.

2. Cagsil profile image71

Actually Sean OR John, I am far from illiterate, considering I did graduate school. From many of your posts, I am not sure you even know what a school actually is, much less, graduated from one.

5. seanorjohn profile image71

Put it in the dustbin.

The "dustbin"? Interesting notion. Did you get that from a kids book? Or did you actually think that up on your own? roll

You asked where should you "put it". Yes, the dustbin was right.

Apparently, you would be incorrect, considering HP doesn't have a dustbin. roll

2. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Yes.

Yale has the Skull and Crossbones for one.  Take a look how few get admitted and how many of those few become presidents of huge companies, AND the United States.  Creepy.

Appreciate your input. smile

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Yes, they are everywhere  http://i55.tinypic.com/154w03o.png

lol lol lol Good to know Sunforged. tongue smile

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you posted that, I was given a chill, a real one.

And I have no idea why, but it freaked me out. What is that image and what does it represent?

It will probably be something stupid now, like an American road sign, but I NEED to know.

4. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Cags, I think you'd be surprised to know how many secret societies exist.  Keep in mind that those mentioned here must not be all that secret.

Appreciate the input Shogan and no I wouldn't be that surprised. smile

5. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

I CANT BELIEVE YOU POSTED THIS????!!!!!!

Believe what you want...it's posted. tongue

6. stclairjack profile image78

7. stclairjack profile image78

1. stclairjack profile image78
      stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do you know how much trouble i'm going to be in for this,... i mean realy,... the old phrase "i'd tell ya but i'd have to kill ya",.... you know our group takes this very seriously!,.... and to be quite frank,.... i'm running out of places to hide the bodies!

i'm also on my 3rd drink and this topic was WAY TOO INVITING! ha!

1. stclairjack profile image78
        stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and in my own deffence, i have no idea how i posted this 3 times,... could be the tequila,... but i blame dial up.

Your group huh?

Last time I checked, we didn't have that saying, but then again, I'm not about to say anything about it. tongue

8. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

We should each create one.  Only one member can be in them at a time.

I don't have one, of course, but if I did it would be a secret.  Shhh.

1. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My secret society will be called the "Trilateral HubPages Commission".

Too wordy?

No, not at all. lol

9. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Definitely, the answer to the question.

Particularly with organized crime. The best crime gangs do not make it known that they are gangsters, and as such are largely secret, until they are discovered. If they are ever discovered.

In the UK we have cannabis factories sprouting up everywhere, there are always found with one 'gardener'. This gardener is generally an illegal immigrant, they rent a house under a fake ID, and then move in and turn it into a cannabis factory overnight, wiring it up to steal electricity.

The people behind them are said to be British, but they are NEVER caught. Neither would they be telling random people in bars that they are involved.

Top level organized crime is always a big secret. And then of course you have the CIA, MI5, MI6, those agents operate overseas in secrecy. The organizations are not secret, but the individuals and operations are.

For example, the network of Russian spys in New York who had been operating undetected for almost a decade. The ones who were then 'swapped' for American spys discovered in Russia.

Good input Ryan. Much appreciated. smile

10. DREAM ON profile image82
    DREAM ONposted 13 years ago

There are so many that have exsisted over the years.Now with the ease of computers so many more societies can exsist and promote their own cause.It is a shame so many secret societies have  been created in the need for power and control.Instead of helping other people in different ways.We have heard of hundreds of them that problably start out harmless but then can later promote the bad.The more you find out the more sad life can become.

Much appreciated. smile

11. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Of course.  You've never seen PCU?  Balls and Shaft is real, so there must be oodles others out there just like them.  tongue

I am pretty sure that secret societies exist. I just wanted other people's answers. To me, it's fun to think about and to see what people have to say on the matter. tongue

Much appreciated. smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think, to be honest, there are probably far more of them than any of us could imagine.  I just find it hard to understand why they still exist.  Almost everything is acceptable in our day and age.  Seems like there would be no reason to hide much of anything - unless of course, it's just flat out illegal activity.  There's my serious two cents.

smile

Actually, there is plenty that isn't common knowledge to many and that is the part that many people would fail to understand, because of the complexity of it all.

Example: Do you know what the best way to utilize America's way of life?

Indulge me for a minute or two....if you have an answer, please do tell. wink

1. profile image0

I don't know that America has a truly unique way of life, but if so, I wouldn't (personally) feel that it would be too terribly complex.  As to utilizing it, what do you mean exactly?  Utilizing it for what - personal or monetary gain, political advancement, etc...?  I guess I don't generally feel that anything of true value to humanity should be kept secret.  If it's something that is truly beneficial in furthering the cause of the human race toward a more peaceful and productive end, I think it should be right out there for everyone to see. 

Part of the problem with that, though, is that I suppose it then becomes wide open to be perverted from its original intention, much like other things over the course of history, which may have begun with the very same intentions.

smile

Okay, from your statement/post, you're not even sure if America has a unique way of life, which is precisely one of the problems with many citizens who live in America.

There are only two things in America that are distinctive- (a)it's way of life and (b) freedoms/rights.

America's way of life is all about equality, however, to gain that equality, is to have a specific knowledge about living.

America's rights/freedoms are a double edged sword and when you look at society(citizenship), who is treated better than others? Those who have wealth. Now, if that playing field was leveled? What would happen? I know, too much to think about, but I'll leave it at that.

1. profile image0

I am in complete agreement about the unique nature of our freedoms/rights.  Unfortunately, I think that too many of our citizens do not know enough about the freedoms/rights of other nations to truly understand how unique that nature is - which leads us to a way of life that isn't terribly unique.  This is perhaps what you mean by the problem with many citizens who live in America?  In that case, I agree on that point as well.  In general, actually, I agree with your entire post.  As to leveling the playing field in terms of wealth, I don't see that as a realistic possibility in my lifetime.  Seeing as how the attempt has been made in other nations (meeting with varying degrees of success - some of which were no success at all) to level the playing field in terms of wealth, I can understand the fear of making an attempt to do so in our very own nation.  Many folks strive for "equality" in our country, but in reality, they are actually striving not for equitable treatment, but rather better treatment.  While I think that there is actual merit in the whole "From each according to his ability to each according to his need," concept, I believe that what often happens is that those who are actually "able" refuse to put in the effort of which they are capable, preferring instead to be seen as those in greater "need."  Are we talking here about equal opportunity - or equal reward?  That does become a part of the question, in my opinion.

smile

I have written two hubs with regards to both issues you posted.

How Does Equality Survive In Capitalism?

and

Controversial- Rights versus Morals? (not to mention, I wrote a hub on morals as they are truly defined-however, that hubs doesn't address rights, as the above one does.) smile

1. profile image0

I'll actually check them out.  Sorry about the long winded response.  I tend to think out loud (even in print) and, as you've gleaned from elsewhere, I do enjoy a good conversation.  I'll take a look - thanks!

smile

You may now have your thread back, sir.

12. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

As a member I can say unequivocally NO.

However since posting this response I have been kicked out, SO the answer is definitely maybe!

The Ousting carried a death threat.

Much appreciated Ready. smile

1. readytoescape profile image61
        readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are definitely welcome. Just don’t tell anyone.

Who am I going to tell and what exactly am I suppose to tell them....you really didn't say anything. tongue

1. readytoescape profile image61
            readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed that would be the point.

Thanks for bringing that to the forefront.

I am now back in

lol lol

13. Sweetsusieg profile image77
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

Just a little input....  The 'Secret Societies' are secret for several reasons...  In regards to the Mason's...  The reason for the secrecy, at one point they would have been killed upon discovery.  They have secrets signs that are meant to be known only to those other members.  The signs and handshakes help identify one another in a place among strangers. 

Look at it this way, if you are in a strange place where you know no one, you make you sign and then discover that there is another like you, you might feel less frightened.

Some of the organizations are not as secret as they seem.  Just the signs that you (a non-member) aren't aware of.  All of the Masonic families (there are a lot!) do everything humanly possible to help out within the Community.  Ask yourself this "Where does the money come from that is donated to food banks, women's shelters, children's Hospitals, youth groups etc?"  A lot of it comes from 'secret' organizations.  The organization I belong to has a list that we donate every year to....

So my response to the question "Tell me about your Secret Organization" is this..."If you want to know our Secrets, join us we'll tell you!"

Well I didn't ask if anyone belonged to one, but I appreciate your input. smile I was just curious to see other people's take on it. smile

1. Sweetsusieg profile image77
        Sweetsusiegposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not a problem...  I hope you didn't mind...  Just trying to demystify the Mason's a little bit.  There is so much negativity about them.

Not at all. I appreciated the input. smile

14. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

The most secretive and nefarious secret society that ever existed was obviously the "Raccoon Lodge."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N-h4D-wSak

Much appreciated Hugh. smile

15. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Do Secret Societies Actually Exist?

roll How Would You KNOW??? 

roll  Sheeesh!!!

BE Honest..... sad

How would you Know?  hmm

If Secret Societies actually exist.......

Then they.....

Wouldn't Be SECRET would they......

If You Knew!!!!  roll

big_smile  Duhhhh....

Much appreciated PD. tongue

16. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ACG6lH-LdJA/S8KSy678QUI/AAAAAAAAAYo/2lMIh7L19zY/s1600/eyes+wide+shut+2.jpg

I don't know. Ask them.

lol lol

17. Mighty Mom profile image78

M2C -- I can vouch for Cags. He's a gem! MM

Again, I'm humbled and honored by your kind words Mighty Mom. smile

18. Mighty Mom profile image78

LOL. Quite a contrast in tone and content from our earlier chat over on Lynnchandler's thread, eh? tongue

And, you took off, just as it was about to get good too. If you didn't see what I wrote, then I would suggest you go back and see. lol lol

You might think differently of me. Not likely, but there is always a possibility. tongue big_smile

19. Mighty Mom profile image78

Oh, you'd already said a mouthful (self-slap).
    I had to go get good.
    And I did!
    Night! Gotta sign off... til 2moro. MM

Good night Mighty Mom. Sleep well and be safe. smile Till tomorrow. smile

20. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

UK has its fair share of secret societies, but they can exist anywhere. I know friends from my old university days who were indoctrinated into secret societies. Bilderberg, Masons, Trilateral Commission, so many of them. Wikipedia will tell you even more.

Some are shady and hidden while some can be quite useful. For example if you are a member of one and have a hard time getting work, get networking in your secret society - they will get you a job, where conventional methods won't in the face of favoritism.

There is a huge theory about conspiracies too, but there can also be compassionate conspiracies. Some secret organisations do good things too. It's a huge subject!

Much appreciated Cheeky. smile

21. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Why? Do you belong to one? tongue

22. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

My first husband was a Bohemian.  Do they quality for secret society status?

Hey Disturbia, great to see you. Hopefully you're well. smile Thank you for your input. smile

And, I don't know what qualifies for a quality secret society, but I would think to remain secretive would be one quality. lol

1. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bohemians are very secretive.  Nobody knows what goes on at their gatherings.  All these influential men, yes men, I believe it's the last remaining "males only" club but I could be wrong, gather at a place called the grove and many people speculate that world altering deals are struck there, but I suspect it's just a big frat party where they all let their hair down and prance around drunk and naked in the woods. LOL big_smile

Hey Disturbia, I don't think that secret societies are limited to just men. But, you could be right about the prancing/dancing naked drunk. tongue smile

LOL, no Cags, I mean the Bohemians are a males only society.  No ladies allowed.  Only rich, famous, political, or powerful men need apply.

23. profile image0
    Mad Prophetposted 13 years ago

I have a secret society. It's called "screw with me and i'll..."  well you get the idea.  of course, the society that i run only consists of three people, me, myself and I.

Good to know Mad. lol lol

24. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I'm still stuck with how a secret society can be secret when we know about them. smile

It's the ones you don't know about. wink The ones that have been exposed were secret before being exposed, but that doesn't mean more do not exist. wink

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK. Good! Now I get it.
        In that case I would rationalize that as there are many we know of, it is very likely there are many others we don't know of.
        All good now!

Yes Earnest, there are others, at least one I know of, but don't expect me to tell you anything else that I know about it, because it will go unanswered. wink

25. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

Serious question. Are you on the autistic spectrum? You made some crazy comments about Mark Newbie. You don't seem to get humour, do you?

There wasn't anything humorous about Mark's thread about the negative aspect of traffic NEVER RETURNING to HP. And, your pathetic attempts to demean me, while knowing I wasn't going to return to the thread is a prime example of you being two-faced.

So you did return then. I seem to remember you saying goodbye to the forums as well. You just can't help changing your mind.

I said I wasn't going to further post. Now, who is illiterate? Can you not read? Or Do you only read what words matter to you?

Edit: You constantly bring up the fact that I left the forum and came back. At the time, and I will explain it for you, since you apparently have a comprehension problem- I was able to do other things, without having to worry about leaving the forums. Got it?

26. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Of course.
    If you google it, you'll find a whole role.
    The most common (and influent) around here, are Opus Dei mainly in the Iberic peninsule and Italy and The Franc-Maçonnerie mostly in France and Anglo-Saxon countries.

Thank you for the input. smile

27. profile image0

Come on Cagsil.
    Thank you for being polite as usual, but I doubt my input brought any added value to your knowledge.

You told me something I didn't know, so of course you added value. wink

28. profile image0

I'm glad about that.
    smile

cool

29. Tatara profile image61
    Tataraposted 13 years ago

I saw a documentary on Discovery Channel.They exist.Creepy.

30. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

I like to add the word Money in between Secret and Society. Like some kind of CSI investigation...or Secret Agent Movie plot: "Follow the money trail". Where you have Secret Societies that are in control of all the money. Now, that is my definition of a real "Secret Society"...those are the ones that are in control! And it is no secret...other then...the vast amount of the public haven't come to grips with all the Secret Society Groups! (And the list is long...)

Did someone mention the Bohemian Groves earlier?

Yes, my first husband was a Bohemian.  I won't say what else he was... LOL!

31. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

cant tell you it's a secret

Yes, it's the old if I tell you, I'll have to kill you deal.  For even having this conversation, all our names are probably now on a secret hit list that was tattooed in special ink that can only be seen by black light , on a psychotic, mute, monk's backside.

1. manlypoetryman profile image81

Oh no...I think I just saw a psychotic, mute monk in the parking lot...lol

Actually, in this manic, paranoid society...we live in...it would not surprise me...if even mere slightly out spoken individuals got their name on some kind of "list".

I think Richard Nixon kept such a list.  Wasn't he a Bohemian?

(whispers)  You're not secretly a Bohemian too are you manly?

1. manlypoetryman profile image81

HA! lol

32. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"I think Richard Nixon kept such a list.  Wasn't he a Bohemian?" Nixon was enlisted into politics by Prescott Bush - Skull and Bones.

33. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes they exist, I'm writing a hub about them now wink

Oh I know they exist, as I said, my first husband was a Bohemian, but that's not really a secret society.  He also belonged to some other clubs too.  Ones that had darker more sinister purposes where likeminded, strange people came together and did things I'm never going to admit to knowing anything about.

34. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

The bohemian club was actually once bohemian.

http://www.mollycliffhilts.com/bohemian … ection.php

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)