What are the best short stories on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 13 years ago

http://blog.hubpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/podcast_fascinating_fiction.png

If you got this week's newsletter, you'll see I mentioned three new podcasts we'e doing.  One, which has yet to make its debut, is called the Fascinating Fiction podcast, and will consist of readings of short fiction stories on HubPages (both by Hubbers who are willing to record mp3s and HubPages staff).

While having a short story featured in the podcast has nothing to do with earnings (we don't advertise on the podcast and there's no ad revenue associated with it), it could be a great way to gain readership. Besides, there's so much amazing fiction on HubPages.... I just feel like we ought to be doing more to share it!

If you know of a short fictional story that you think should be featured that was written by another Hubber, share it here, and perhaps share a little about it, too big_smile

If you want one of your own short stories to be featured, contact me directly.

And hey- is anyone interested in doing some readings?

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to to some readings.

2. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

This sounds like fun, but I am a horrible reader, so I will try to think of a story line and browse for a few others. Thanks!

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I enjoy reading and I am willing to read. What do I do? smile

Simone Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, awesome! Do you have a microphone on hand that you might be able to use to record any readings? And any short stories on HubPages that you know you'd like to read? big_smile

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do have a microphone and I believe there are quite a few I enjoy reading. I will have to go capture those hubbers, hubs. But yes I can record them. smile

4. ripplemaker profile image78
    ripplemakerposted 13 years ago

Go AEvans go!!! smile

Simone, what a wonderful idea! I love your ideas very much.  smile

5. Theo20185 profile image79
    Theo20185posted 13 years ago

Fantastic idea. I don't think the fiction on HubPages get enough attention.

It totally doesn't!  But hopefully now it will smile

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Readings . . . hmmmm, is there an audition process?

LOL I should hope not.  If Simone the Stutterer can read things.....

7. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 13 years ago

Great idea, but wonder about the readings? Kangaroo_Jase asks about audition process; not sure if he's on same wavelength I am, but some people won't admit they are poor readers! (AE: cannot imagine you being anything but the best!)

AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about being the best, but I love to read. Thank you for the wonderful compliment. smile

8. AEvans profile image71

I also just took all of my fiction down, but I can write more should be fun. smile

9. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

That would be something to look forward to:)

10. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago
    1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    2. Simone Smith profile image86

Oh, LOVE Stubs and the Dragon!  Julie James is great too, and so is The List.   I'll contact frogdropping and camlo and see if they might give us permission to feature their stories. big_smile

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've only just seen this thread.

I'm really flattered by both your comment and Sofs'. I was thinking 'Julie James' isn't yet polished enough, and that 'The List' might be too long for a PodCast ... but I'm useless at judging my own work. Whatever, I'd be really happy to record whichever story (or stories) people might like to hear.

By the way, I read 'Scent of Evil' by WillStarr a few days ago, and found it brilliant.

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go polish it then! Lots of luck.

1. camlo profile image83

So much to do, and so little time. I hope to have the day off work tomorrow and Friday, so I'll take a look at it.

11. AEvans profile image71

Oh, fabulous! Off to contact must65gt!

1. cynthia50u profile image54
        cynthia50uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do you keep putting your email address on these forum threads?  Do you want to be flagged?  smile

12. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

Take a lookie at WillStarr's writings.  He is one of the best storytellers here in Hubpages.  All his short stories are worthy of mention, but here are my favourites...

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Western-Short … e-Anderson

http://hubpages.com/hub/Western-Short-S … mbug-Creek

http://hubpages.com/hub/Western-Short-S … -Proposals

http://hubpages.com/hub/Western-Short-S … -Connected

You're so right, Rosie2010!!  I'll send him an email - his stories are great!!

13. suziecat7 profile image78
    suziecat7posted 13 years ago

I'm wih Rosie - anything by WillStarr.

14. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

I would be happy to oblige to do a reading or two. Just let me know what accent you would like it in, my natural Australian or Scottish, English, West Coast/Southern American or South African?

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good question! LOL

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a few, lesser known accents, but I will just stick with the majors for now, LOL.

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I. Am. So. Jealous.  I'm getting a round up of the Hubs to feature, and when I do, perhaps I can send you the list and you can pick out any you might like to read!

Simone, I would be delighted to do a read or several reads. Send me what you would like and I will most likely do many in many different accents including my own accent, then you hardest part you will have is deciding which ones to use!

1. camlo profile image83

I can only do a London accent and a BBC one. Should Simone be interested in my 'The List', maybe you could do that one for me. It needs a British Essex accent, a neutral American accent, a rough New York accent, and a sophisticated New York accent (a woman - sexy, purring, catty). If you heard my idea of a US accent, you'd cringe.

Wow , this would be a bit of a task Camlo!

British Essex accent - Id have to hear this one to imitate
                Neutral American accent - I can do
                New York accent - I can do, think Christopher Walken like....
                Sophisticated New York accent (a woman - sexy, purring, catty) - Im not female, so would be a REAL tough gig, this one.

Would be a heck of a lot of fun to try though !

15. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

This is a good idea, and the time is ripe for it.

16. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I'm technical illiterate these days. What exactly is a podcast?

1. profile image0

A podcast, by the correct definition, is an audio program delivered via an RSS feed, meaning the listener can subscribe to the program. However, so-called "podcasts" are oftentimes merely single episodes that listeners can hear online and/or download as mp3 files. Listening online can be via an embedded player. Downloaded files can be played locally on the computer or on a portable mp3 player.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So a podcast could simply be the .mp3 version of the latest chart topper? or it could be an audio file? thanks smile

1. profile image0

"Pod" refers to a portable player, like an iPod. "Cast" refers to a broadcast. So for it to be a podcast, it has to be available online (either for listening or for downloading). If I sent you a song on Mp3 via email, it wouldn't be a podcast.

For example, the podcast concept is implemented through iTunes, where you can subscribe to all kinds of neat programs, to be delivered through the software, then played on your computer or an mp3 player. It all happens in the background once you have subscribed.

So podcast is intended for content that is not delivered all at once, like a weekly program, or a novel delivered with individual chapters over a period.

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, makes sense.
            You do realise you have to explain again tomorrow...us older folks have trouble retaining those things.

17. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I like the idea!  I've sold a few short mystery stories for children and one is sold on AudioBooks.  It's really neat to hear one's own story narrated by someone else.  This may lead to something similar if handled correctly and enough good readers are found to narrate the tales.

A new reason to write more fiction for those of us who enjoy the craft.  Thanks Simone!  smile

That's seriously impressive, Randy Godwin!  I hope this has a similar positive impact for the authors featured big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No big deal, really!  But I did get $50 for every story I submitted, so it was fairly easy money.

I do think there is a future in e-books and pod casts for some writers, though!  Perhaps this is a good chance for those who had rather write fiction than sales hubs.  One never knows what will happen! smile

18. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

Quill's fireside writes are fabulous!!!!!!

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

meaning I would love to hear his work on podcasts

AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He isn't on HP anymore:( He is busy working on his novels. smile

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks hon, figured it out right after I posted

oops

me bad

but good for him

thank you

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Aw, shucks!!  Well, that is pretty cool, though.

19. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I have short stories - but mine are not fiction.  My short stories could possibly be presented as if they were fiction though.

20. profile image0

Like the OP says, if you want your own stories to be considered, you should contact Simone Smith directly.

21. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 12 years ago

Good morning, Simone,

I'm curious...when to you plan to publish the 'Fascinating Fiction' podcast?

Will Starr

22. profile image0

That is indeed an intriguing question, Will Starr.

23. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Will Star and W.E,

Hey folks there are two podcasts already done on the Fascinating Fiction in the HP Blog.

24. profile image0
  25. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years ago

The best ones I have read are from Will starr smile

1. profile image0

Many people seem to think so.

26. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 12 years ago

Thank you, Brian, for that kind comment!

Will

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Credit where credits due Will. Wish my dad was still alive to read your stuff, he was a real western fan.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)