What is your favorite Shakespeare play?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (70 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 13 years ago

If you don't have a favorite, which is your least favorite? I'm interested to know.

1. tnderhrt23 profile image75
      tnderhrt23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

To date, A Midsummer Night's Dream...studied and analyzed it in college, wrote about it, then saw the production, as a class.

1. weseppers profile image61
        weseppersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' is a recessional wedding march. Am I right?

2. sincerely25 profile image60
      sincerely25posted 13 years agoin reply to this

He's my favorite author. My favorite Shakespeare play is Romeo and Juliet.

1. sumitparihar profile image41
        sumitpariharposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes,mine is also romeo and juliet....

2. ellahall2011 profile image61
        ellahall2011posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am also a fan of it.

3. JayeWisdom profile image88
      JayeWisdomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAMLET is my favorite, and I'm not sure what it says about me that I enjoy  tragedies most. I also like THE MERCHANT OF VENICE and ROMEO AND JULIET. Usually, I do not like Shakespeare's plays performed in modern dress, but I did like the movie of Romeo and Juliet starring Leo DiCaprio because, even though it was modernized, Shakespeare's language was used (though drastically condensed).

By the way, where do you stand on the raging controversy that Shakespeare did not actually write the plays bearing his name because he was too under-educated and under-traveled? That someone else wrote them and had them performed under the name of William Shakespeare?  (I'm not expressing an opinion....just asking....)

1. profile image0
        Old Empresarioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think skilled poets were very common in the 16th Century. Shakespeare's poems outside from his plays were very good. A poet does not necessarily require much education. It is probably not unlikely that Shakespeare did not develop the framewok for the plays, but rather took plays already in existence (or in various stages of completion) and applied his own prose to them. So the truth may be somewhere in the middle. But I don't know and have not reviewed any of the evidence. I have read Marlow's play Edward II. It is similar to others and Marlow died in the 1590s. Perhaps he faked his death to avoid creditors and became Shakespeare? Who knows?

4. duffsmom profile image59
      duffsmomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love Hamlet, also Romeo and Juliet..........

5. calebacea097 profile image60
      calebacea097posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My favorites are Romeo and juliet, macbeth, and the tragedy of julius caesar

6. AlyzaLewis profile image69
      AlyzaLewisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like his comedies the best... like Taming of the Shrew, Twelfth Night, and Much Ado About Nothing.

7. profile image0
      LuvableSweetheartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

most likely I have to like hamlet

8. kcreery profile image61
      kcreeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Othello is my favorite.  I saw some Shakespeare plays in Stratford and the Globe theatre in London, England.  Definitely worth a visit.

2. Preethi Anusha profile image68
    Preethi Anushaposted 13 years ago

macbeth

1. profile image0

I have always found Macbeth interesting. It is such a complex human story of guilt; manifested through madness and cruelty. I saw an interesting film adaptation of it recently starring Patrick Stewart.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Hamlet is my favourite, there are so many layers to that play.

4. Windsweptplains profile image59
    Windsweptplainsposted 13 years ago

My favorite comedy is either As You Like It, or Much Ado About Nothing. Kenneth Branagh's masterful film adaptations of those two plays impacted my perception of how delightful a comedy play can be (in a positive way).

My favorite tragedy is Hamlet, one of the best known and best developed plays in history. Mel Gibson's portrayal of Hamlet convinced me that the character was full of depth and conflict.

As you can probably see, I prefer to see Shakespeare performed. I've used film as the medium to interest my siblings and friends in the works of Shakespeare. Just picking up a play and reading it is a daunting task (although I've read all of his plays, and enjoyed them greatly).

1. LaurelB profile image70
      LaurelBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When it comes to levels of characterization and meaning, Hamlet would be my choice.

Often, though, I enjoy watching a really juicy villain whose entire purpose is to mess things up: think Iago in Othello, one of my favorites. A brilliant performance of Richard III can bring out the both humor in the character (there's actually quite a bit of humor there) and the sorrows of his victims at the same time. So in terms of entertainment and use of language, Richard III is, hands-down, my favorite.

1. profile image0

I have always paired Othello and Richard III together as well. Both villains seem to portray introverted personalities. Richard III is a great story for those with an ambitious nature. He uses intrigue, cruelty, and his intelligence to ascend the path toward kingship that he had cleverly outlined for himself. And like most ambitious climbers, he can be deeply insecure.

And then there is Othello; the story of Iago, who seeks to attain higher office and get revenge for imagined slights. He does this by manipulating others through gossip and two-faced scheming. Iago comes across as shy and he prefers to control the puppet strings from behind the scenes.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Midsummer's Night's dream. smile

6. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

The first Star Wars was the best.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh.

"Alas poor Vader, I knew him well.".........

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You misquoted, Mark. The actual line is, "Alas, poor Vader! I knew him, Horatio..."

LOL

2. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol Now you have a straight man there will be hell to play... or heaven?

2. profile image0

And Sophocles likes sci fi...

7. dianebowling profile image61
    dianebowlingposted 13 years ago

I like "Midsummer's Night Dream"
    I also like "Othello"
    Favorite quote:
    But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
    For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.

8. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I dislike Othello immensely.  hmm

major headache and flashbacks the entire time while studying it last semester - I know way too many Iago's to comment further.

1. dianebowling profile image61
      dianebowlingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Much better to read for pleasure than for a grade. I have found some classics that I hated in school are much more enjoyable now that I'm not under pressure to take a test or write an essay.
      smile

1. profile image0

That is a very good point on both counts. Othello certainly isn't for everyone. But reading for pleasure is more fulfilling than reading for the stresses of grades in school. It was the setting that interested me most about Othello. The Venetian Republic, which controlled a commercial empire in the Mediterranean, was hiring Moorish mercenaries to fight against the Turks. Here, the Moorish commander secretly marries into one of the powerful families of Venice. One of the commander's conniving subalterns is passed over for promotion...and let the antics begin.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is much out there in the way of film for those who choose not to read the story. The 1960s film version has not withstood the test of time. Instead of having an actual black actor play Othello, we see Lawrence Olivier in what seems to be deep, dark-blue body paint. He resembles a burn victim. I know there is a version from the 1990s starring  Ken Branagh and Lawrence Fishburne, but it misses the recent trend directorsare in to have Shakespeare adaptations set in more contemporary time periods and costumes.

2. shellyakins profile image68
        shellyakinsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I find that when I'm forced to read something and have to analyze it for a paper/discussion it can sometimes take the fun out of reading. 

I was forced to read Othelo in college and loved it.  I found the characters to be interesting and I loved Iago...one of the best "bad guys" ever created.  I'm also a big fan of dramatic irony which Shakespeare has in almost every play. 

I must admit, I haven't read any of his plays since getting out of school.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I am a total Shakespeare geek.  Once upon a time, I shaved my head to play the title role in Hamlet... but on the comedy side, I've also got a soft spot in my heart for Much Ado About Nothing.

10. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Titus; "Oft have I dug up dead men from their graves and sat them upright at their dearest friends doors just when their sorrow almost was forgot."

1. profile image0

Titus Andronicus--probably one of the best stories of trust, revenge, and cruelty. How can anyone go wrong with a play that begins with such a drastic miscalculation by the protagonist? After the victorious general heartlessly slaughters the favorite son of the Goth queen he has captured, he watches in horror as his emperor takes her as his new queen. From there, the queen's family and secret lover humiliate and murder Titus' family. But he "wins" in the end; murdering her remaining sons and baking them into pastries for her to eat unknowingly. It is an amazing story.

11. whatkatieread profile image60
    whatkatiereadposted 13 years ago

Such a difficult question!  I've always preferred the comedies and tragedies to the histories. But to choose from these is still impossible!  I think I have favourite parts/lines from different plays rather than favourite individual plays.  I also think seeing a good production can really sway your opinion...Shakespeare's plays were never supposed to be read but watched after all!
    I love King Lear and I think Hamlet is a work of genius.  But my favourite lines come from Othello: 'Perdition catch my soul for I do love thee, and when I love thee not, chaos is come again!'  Perfection!
    The best performance I've ever seen was of 'As you like it' in Stratford by the R.S.C.  And though many academics poured scorn, I think Luhrmann's 'Romeo and Juliet' was fantastic.

12. FacetiousRemark profile image61
    FacetiousRemarkposted 13 years ago

I see a lot of people mentioning Othello, which is great, because I absolutely adore that play. The character of Iago...gah, brilliant! Such a manipulative, devious, clever character. i also like using lines from that play (who doesn't love the line "I am not what I am"!); I often tell people they are telling "Lies! Damned, odious lies!" Heh.

There's a great production of Othello on DVD that is very Shakespearean -- that is, the set is very sparse, little in the way of props, very little movement to new areas. And it has Ian McKellen -- yes, Ian himself! -- as Iago. Very good.

I also do very much like Hamlet; again, some absolutely brilliant lines in it. When you see these plays performed, you can really appreciate the use of language. I remember watching the David Tennant version of Hamlet (another very good performance) and marveling particularly at a part where Hamlet it talking about a pipe and the playing of it (and the playing of people).

A Shakespeare play that I didn't like, however, is A Winter's Tale. I've only read it once, so I forget the names, but I remember the irrationality of the main guy drove me crazy. I think I was actually shouting out loud at him at some points (mostly calling him an idiot).

13. manlypoetryman profile image77
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

My favorite Shakespeare play ever: "Midsummer's Night Dream" watched at an outdoor theater with a cute girl...and a large bottle of wine.

You weren't in Virginia at the time were you? Because I did the same thing. There may have been mor ethan one bottle of wine involved though.

1. manlypoetryman profile image77
        manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No...it weren't Virginny, my friend...but, in our case...one bottle of wine was more then just fine lol (is that TMI? hmm)

TMI?

This was at the Barboursville vineyard - in the ruins of the original house (Thomas Jefferson was the architect) - being on a vineyard - there was no shortage of wine. smile

Ahh....sounds like a good time was had by all big_smile ...Cheers to ya'!

(The TMI was implied...more or less...to the after effects of said bottle of wine...and delightful display of thea'tur!!!)

It was a superb afternoon/evening. Great actors, wonderful setting - wine drinkable. smile

Sorry - what does TMI mean? That was the question.

I would have thought an internet saavy person like yourself was well acquainted with some of the more common acronyms...Like TMI, ROFLMAO, you know like LOL. They are al kind'a silly...but grow on you when you want to save time typing. TMI is Too Much Info.

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Definitely Macbeth, the bard's darkest play. I taught it every year and never got tired of it!

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was it the only examinable one or you also set the exams?

15. Jane Bovary profile image84
    Jane Bovaryposted 13 years ago

Macbeth for me too. For one thing, its got that powerful  "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.." soliloquy. I see it as rawer and earthier...even sexier than the rest.

16. arthurchappell profile image47
    arthurchappellposted 13 years ago

King Lear is amazing - dark, and taking some relish in its violence - the madness in the storm scene with Lear and the Fool is Shakespeare at the height of his writing skills

17. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I've always liked The Taming of the Shrew.

18. FifthEdition profile image60
    FifthEditionposted 13 years ago

I've loved Hamlet since I read it in High School English

19. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

The ONLY Shakespeare play worth anything is King Lear...

and that is only because it serves as a warning not to have any daughter because they will drive you crazy once they hit puberty

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image59
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When will you hit it?

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i've 'hit it' so many times, my friend

20. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

tommorow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day, to the last syllable of recorded time.

21. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

I studied a few Shakespeare plays at school, including 'Romeo and Juliet' for O' Level ~ many years ago. I then studied 'Hamlet' and 'The Tempest' for A' Level just recently.

I always loved 'Romeo and Juliet' ~ especially the Franco Zeffirelli film version ~ but I must admit, Hamlet really got me hooked. I saw David Tennant playing the lead in Stratford, and it was brilliant.

22. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Taming Of The Shrew
    Henry 5th
    Richard 3rd - A horse...a horse.....a kingdom for a horse!

and I have heard a New York City version of Romeo & Juliet very modern and very urbane, loads of politically uncorrect speech in this version!

23. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

I've been very impressed with Polanski's version of McBeth several decades ago.

24. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

If you're talking tragedy, for me it has to be Romeo and Juliet, a love story gone wrong is so timeless.  As for comedy, Twelfth Night is my favorite.  Yes both of these involves romance and I love it.

25. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Julius Ceaser

26. Rówiel  profile image61
    Rówiel posted 13 years ago

For me it would be A Midsummer Night's Dream, which I've gotten to see performed live a few times.  It's also the one I'd most like to be in.

27. profile image0
    lozzomsposted 13 years ago

Got to say it would be Hamlet. Its such a good play that shows the transition from original forms of tragedy to a more modern, moral based society nicely. Shakespeare puts strong moral undertones into the play throughout, and this makes for an interesting read. And for anyone who is interested, I have an article on Hamlet currently up on Hubpages, if anyone would like to read an interesting essay.

28. livingsimply profile image60
    livingsimplyposted 13 years ago

Othello because it paints a picture of society that actually hasn't changed much - sadly

29. writinginalaska profile image77
    writinginalaskaposted 13 years ago

Taming of the Shrew,  followed by Romeo and Juliet

30. feelingfoxy profile image60
    feelingfoxyposted 13 years ago

Taming of the Shrew and As You Like It smile

1. profile image0
      andycoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Merchant Of Venice... Shylock, what a negative character! He lends money to his Christian rival Antonio, setting the security at a pound of Antonio's flesh. When a bankrupt Antonio defaults on the loan, Shylock demands the pound of flesh, as revenge for Antonio having previously insulted and spat on him. This is just awesome! But there are many Shylocks in real world, born without love! smile

31. Scosgrove profile image60
    Scosgroveposted 12 years ago

Macbeth. It's bad luck to say in a theatre and it's completely insane. I love it!

32. Genna East profile image83
    Genna Eastposted 12 years ago

Good question.  I would have to say ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ and ‘Hamlet.’  They are vastly different but Shakespeare always fascinates me…his incredible, amazing grasp and understanding human nature is unsurpassed.  Every time I read one of his plays, I see and learn something new.

33. Melissa.P profile image59
    Melissa.Pposted 12 years ago

I have to say I love Hamlet. Next would be Romeo and Juliet. I happen to own the dvd of Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio from 1996. I love the humour.

34. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

well considering that I haven't read all his plays, the ones that i have read i would have to say my two favorite ones are "romeo and juliet" and "macbeth."  although i know in another forum, I criticized "romeo and juliet" for it's lack in originality, I do give credit for it considering how Shakespeare took a story that was done before and turned it into a timeless masterpiece; that even to this day is used as a formula for tragic love stories across various mediums. 

Of course, the one shakespeare play I want to read someday would probably be "king lear" though, since I know Akira kurasawa's film, "Ran", was a adaptation of that play.  Therefore, I'd be kind of curious to see what the similarity and differences are between them someday.

35. Tatara profile image60
    Tataraposted 12 years ago

Much Ado About Nothing.It was my Brit.Lit.report:-)

36. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Titus smile love reading it and watching the one with Anthony Hopkins.

37. Thatguypk profile image45
    Thatguypkposted 12 years ago

KING LEAR.... by a long shot!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)