A few items about Google Panda and Violations

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (132 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

We are always reading the forums, taking feedback and working behind the scenes.  Sometimes Google prefers that we keep some information private if they plan on making a formal announcement.  We are expecting an announcement from Google this week, but it may slip till next.  We believe we've positioned HubPages with the necessary changes for the announcement.  From there we will analyze the results.  We also have a backup plan that we will begin testing at a larger scale (positive small scale tests have been done) if we feel that we are still feeling the effects of "some content impacting the entire domain." 

About the violations.  We are happy to provide support, but it certainly helps if you check the learning center if you have questions - http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents Under the HubPages Help Heading you can see entries titled Moderation Help: Violation for most of the violations.  We are continuing to work on them and make them better. If there are specific warnings that you find confusing, let us know here and we will see if we can make them more clear.

Update
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … earch.html

This is the announcement I was referring to. HubPages has rel="author" for every Hub.

Here are the details.  http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … er=1229920

We still need to see how it's reflected in the search results.

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads-up Paul!  I will keep my fingers crossed for good news!

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Always welcome news to hear from the boss. Lets wait and see as I've got loads of hubs to publish out of unpublished obscurity real soon if all goes well!

Cheers for the update!

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awesome.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also awesome to see that Mark Knowles is not lost to HubPages forever.  Good to see you, Mark!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Sarcasm!

80% loss of income? HP ads will fix this? Sure. Sarcasm. Majik.

Ouuuccchhhhh....

Oh, maybe you didn't mean that I was being sarcastic.

Okay.  Well, then.

I assume that the jury is still out on a lot of things.  Seems like the forums are saying we have a hung jury at this point.

I'm with soni2006 - a lot of us are pulling for HP to do the right things, as I'm think you also are, Mark.

I look at financial losses here in the same way as losses in the stock market.  With some stocks, the best thing to do is just sell them and cut your losses.  With others, it's best to wait patiently or impatiently to see if/when they will ever rebound.  In the meantime, though, the losses are real.

No. I was being sarcastic. After 3 months - this is what Paul says? lol

Sure - I will jump all over it to edit my pages. Again. lol

Lets see what Paul sez. I am not into The Giants, so I hope it will not be another Giants thing.

Majik that google wants to keep secret?

Yeh... but back to the stock thing - some that are important to me are still worth only about 50% of what they were a couple of years ago.  They're recovering, but it is obviously slower than anyone would like.

Yeah. Almost like it was not worth the effort I guess. Still - not like You rely on the income is it?

Perhaps you are married to a church parasite and you do not need the money?

Just a guess. Nothing personal. Lets see wot Paul sez?

1. jacharless profile image76
                    jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy Christ Church, you're still alive!
                    lol
                    `ello Marcus, glad to see you and Google are still with the common folk.

..guess..

2. Aficionada profile image79

Wow.... ouchity, ouchity, ouch.  No, not the income from HP.  Not yet, and probably not for a long time. The income from stocks, yes.  That's why I brought them up.  I actually do see a comparison.

Ah, there's the Mark Knowles that everyone knows and loves.  No matter what the conversation, let's find a way to introduce some contempt for religion.  Sorry, I won't bite here.  If you want to argue religion and parasitism with me, that can be done elsewhere.

Did I say "good to see you"?     What was I thinking???    ({[{(facepalm)}]}) 
                    lol  big_smile  lol  big_smile  lol  big_smile  lol  big_smile  lol

4. Mark Knowles profile image59

How about a list of banned affiliate links? And maybe some rationale for 3 months of changes that have made utterly ZERO difference?

http://www.quantcast.com/profile/trafficGraph?wunit=wd%3Acom.hubpages&drg=&dty=pp&gl=6mo&reachType=period&dtr=dd&width=722&country=UK&ggt=large&showDeleteButtons=true&v=195193687

That would be awesome as well.

Thanks.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

just a thought. it might be that  the changes demsonstrated a willingness to change which enabled HP to start a dialogue with Mr Google- I think this will be the make or break change- where "trustworthy" authors are marked up so that "spam" is left floating around. If so, i expect the site to bounce back quite quickly, so maybe we could be looking at a different picture next month. It would be lovely if we were as so many people either depend on their income to pay bills or are hoping that in the future it will pay the bills-

2. Bendo13 profile image76
        Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah my traffic stats look that too... funny I write more and more and I STILL haven't been able to keep my traffic from falling.

I keep hoping something will bring the traffic back, but I don't know.
        As of write now I post twice a day and that's running me down.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then it sounds like lack of content isn't your problem, doesn't it?

Have you checked your site speed with Firebug? Have you made sure you don't have any "low quality" (i.e. short) posts?  Have you looked at your Google Webmaster tools? 

My sites aren't hugely successful so I'm no expert.  But I did have one website which got completely sandboxed after Panda, and I couldn't work out why.  It's not intended to be a blog so it's never had new content added regularly, and I didn't want to start having to do that.  I want my sites to be passive income, thank you!

I read that Google doesn't like multiple posts with similar titles, so where I had a series of articles (how to tie pointe shoes #1, #2 etc), I consolidated them into one larger article.  I had one or two posts which were just a video - I added text.   I did some work on speeding up my site, as speed is very important these days. 

I'm still not getting much Google traffic but at least I'm back to pagerank 0 (it had become N/A).

1. Bendo13 profile image76

They load pretty quick, they're all 500+ words some are 1000+ words and are all on pretty good topics.

It's surprising how some of my newest internet marketing hubs outrank 4 year old posts on here, but yet they're getting no real traffic from google yet.  One has like 40 "tweets" and I wrote it within the past few weeks.

The content isn't the problem.. it's the algorithm.  I use to write like this last year on similar topics and would be pulling in Google traffic from day one.  I'm just going to chug on through, write a lot and hope that eventually HubPages will come back out on top and I'll be sitting pretty with like 600 hubs.

Oops, sorry Bendo - for some reason I thought you were talking about your blog(s), not Hubs. 

By the way, you have a link to your website on your profile, but it's broken.

1. Bendo13 profile image76

Thanks for the heads up... been having issues with my host for a week or so with WordPress... off to go complain again.

3. whoisbid profile image60
        whoisbidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that graph looks familiar. I have friends suffering a similar thing and they have no idea what is wrong with their sites.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paul,

So can we assume from your post that you have been in 'direct', one to one contact with Google (not through any forums etc), and have reason to believe the update may improve things for most quality writers who are still here?

If so this has potential, but I am sure may of us who have seen postings online (away from Hubpages) between Google and Hubpage Staff on forums, might well wonder why on earth Hubpages were restricted to forum interactions, and not considered important enough to be allowed personal meetings with Google staff!

Hope this is a sign you are in direct, face to face, one to one, meetings with Google staff. Awaiting your confirmation, which I am sure will be forthcoming.

6. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok. So it's good to know that HubPages has this markup for hubs, but it's not the rel="author" itself that will improve search results. I'm afraid this change will not get anything back to HubPages.

7. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Damn, thats kind of annoying

http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/05/addressing-panda/

CHeck out the second comment..

Couldnt come back and respond to any of the posts - not even drop a link?

8. deblipp profile image60
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I *sincerely* hope this improves search for Hubs.

9. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not much seems to have happened – still waiting patiently.

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this, Paul.   I look forward to reading more of what this is all about, when the Google announcement breaks.

IMO this thread should be in the sticky section.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Thanks, Paul.  It is always encouraging to hear something like this.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

"We are expecting an announcement from Google this week, but it may slip till next.  We believe we've positioned HubPages with the necessary changes for the announcement."

I hope I'm not getting hopes too high but this sounds very exciting.  Er.  I never thought I would get excited about algortihms, big business and that sort of stuff but...

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

As announcements get made, sometimes the search results reflect the changes right away, other times it takes a bit.  For the HubPages community, I just wanted to give people a heads up that we are very engaged on Panda and that we are continuing to work on it through many channels.

My expectation is that there will be a settling in period post announcement and that we'll need to do additional analysis to understand the impact. 

Ideally we will see a shift in rankings where high quality authors see a benefit.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Ideally we will see a shift in rankings where high quality authors see a benefit."

Oh well.  Maybe next time.

Hey, is there some way Mark Ewbie and I can become high-quality authors in the next fifteen minutes?

Seriously, are there any steps some of us could be taking to boost our chances - I mean, anything that we haven't already been informed about?

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  Mark, you kill me.  There is definite advantage in knowing how to laugh at ourselves and you have taught me better how to do that since entering the forums.  Thank you.

2. profile image49
      paulisfullofshitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Just to let all genuine hubbers know. I have flagged this hubbers name as I find it distasteful. Hopefully the moderators will agree.  If notI shall just have to avoid the insightful comments that this hubber is making, although in a rather ridiculous way.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The anonymous voice is often that of an a$$#0!e!

snakespeer

2. CMHypno profile image82
          CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you Case1worker, there have been a few of these socks with offensive names floating around the forums lately being aggressive.

I think that everyone can understand and share the frustrations of many hubbers, but if you have got something to say have the guts to let people know who you are.

A lot of good points are probably not being read because the abusive language and childish user names are just turning people off

I agree with both of you.

I have resolved to stop doing it.

if it was you, i am disappointed as you would have come up with a more imaginative name!

6. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

Thank you so much for the news Paul. I am publishing my next hub straight away. I always believed in HP and now I am glad that I was always right.

7. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

This sounds like good news.  I've been spending a lot of time going back and tweaking my older hubs hopefully making them better and adhering to the new standards.  Thanks for the heads up regarding upcoming announcements.  Will cross my fingers that we will see increased views and potentially more money coming our way. smile

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

@soni2006 Let's see how the update goes before drawing conclusions, but over time, I fully expect HP to successfully address Panda issues.

1. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a very good step Paul. We are with you.

2. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update Paul. And especially for the "let's see how the update goes before drawing conclusions..." Can't be more honest than that.

9. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

i think that this is the anouncement we have been waiting for, so lets just see- i think there has been a tremendous amount of work done- perhaps not always presented clearly, but it has been going on and all those who have left, when they see the site rising will be back

10. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I've learnt something - words don't mean much unless there are actual facts & results. And there wasn't a single concrete fact in that announcement.

Actually we don't all assume you sit around doing nothing about Panda. We just assume that it hasn't (or won't) work yet.

You've already lost dozens of the top quality writers on the site as well as at least partially alienated many more. People with thousands of hubs had to go through multiple times and fix minor errors, only to have the same hubs unpublished a few days later.

So whatever it is, I hope it's not just an ignis fatuus.

Wry, I had to google that one "phosphorescent light that hovers or flits over swampy ground at night, possibly caused by spontaneous combustion of gases emitted by rotting organic matter"

I hope it is not ignis fatuus as well - that sounds dreadful!

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

An ignis flatus would be even worse...

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 12 years ago
    1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So they don't know anything either Misha? smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They you mean other webmasters, Earnest? No they don't. Google does not tell anybody. Interesting fact is this blog post was posted three hours before Paul opened this thread.

Interesting. I have read heaps about the Panda thing, as many of us have, a lot of it contradictory and so far nothing much to go home with. smile

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

We have communicated one to one with folks at Google about Panda. I've also posted a few things in the public forums and written a piece on my thoughts about Panda and open publishing.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Can you be more specific Paul, as in were you in a room together, on a conference call etc? I think most of us would be more reassured if we knew what your definition of 'one to one' is.

I am sure you can reassure us all that you are on close terms with Google Senior Staff and have met up with them regarding this.

Thanks smile

Misty, why do you think Google would give HubPages special treatment?  Did you see the dismissive comment they made about Suite101 some time ago? 

It's slightly unclear, but I think Paul is ONLY talking about the rel="author" announcement, nothing else.

Errrrm, possibly because Paul stated in his post:

"sometimes Google prefers that we keep some information private if they plan on making a formal announcement.  We are expecting an announcement from Google this week, but it may slip till next.  We believe we've positioned HubPages with the necessary changes for the announcement."

This lead me to believe they had a 'special' relationship with Google.

2. Mutiny92 profile image65

MW, what rel="author" announcement are you referring to?

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Sorry Paul, not sure if you saw this first time, so bumping it.

Bumping Again Paul, no response as yet, but you could easily have missed this.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Sorry, I meant to 'bump' this Paul.

13. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It appears as if HP is trying to save face amongst the writers that are actually still here. Unfortunately, what staff fails to realize is that they were fore-warned by many other experienced online writers that the actions taken were meaningless and/or useless.

And, now members get this type of forum thread. hmm I certainly hope HP is actually in communications with Google. If not, then any changes that have been made, will only make the other experienced writers look even better, which I am more inclined to see happening.

Oh well.....another wait and see. No new news. Not surprising.

14. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 12 years ago

So let me get this straight....HP learned about a change in the algorithm from the Google webmaster forums, and was actually already in compliance with this one. Huh. What's Plan B again?

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So basically... Hubpages can read an announcement that's available to anyone online. That doesn't indicate a special relationship with Google.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The announcement was today.

We rolled out the rel="author" tag on Hubs more than 2 weeks ago.

Maybe we're psychic! lol

If you're psychic, why don't we have +1 buttons yet, like all the other big sites?

15. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Maybe some of you missed the blog post where Paul mentioned the rel="author" tag from a couple of weeks ago:

"Most changes we’ve made you don’t see, like the hidden rel=”author” tag we’ve added to Hubs that designates the Hub’s author.",

Sorry to be an idiot Jason, but can you explain how this works, as the post you linked to only seems to say the above quote, and doesn't appear to elaborate on what it actually means (unless I missed something)!

Thanks

Paul mentions this link which went live today in an update to the OP:

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … er=1229920

Read it Jason, and could do with an layman's guide to what it means in English. If I am struggling to work it out, I am guessing any newbies will not have a clue as to how it helps. I get the basics, but don't really get the bigger picture.

I don't see the big deal. If we want to be well known authors we have to have this tag on every site we write on? What about people new to writing? What about people without official accreditation? Sounds more like it applies to big time "real life" writers.

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What we missed was any responses to questions - including my direct one asking about the author property

a simple "hey its a microformat' would have been helpful.

Seems like a trap to me - connect all your writing together via a htag which will then invalidate any of that interlinking that previously would have been seen as unconnected:) So I hope Google really did give that suggestion in good faith, as the hrecipe tag isnt all that powerful outside of the recipe search. Will there be an 'author search"

16. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

One big happy family, I see!!!  smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

More like a farmer and a crop of mushrooms, methinks.

17. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

I don't understand the rel=author tag either Misty. From what I see from Paul's blog is that HP chooses which authors to add this tag to (those HP considers top authors) and this is to help promote these authors in search engines. Guess if we do not fit in the chosen, then we are at the bottom of the pile.
    That is my take. IMO

You could well be right Michael, if I understood the concept fully (which I don't) and saw it really was beneficial to the author, I would sure like to know if I was one of the 'chosen few' to have this 'rel=author' tag.

1. Michael Willis profile image68

I also read the links that Paul provided. It sounds like the Author page could become a bigger factor with Google. If that is the case, then HP needs to develop a larger format for our Author page.

18. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Every author gets a rel=author tag on their Hubs.  I'm working on a post with more info soon.

1. Michael Willis profile image68

Thanks Paul. More information is needed. I commented on by how I read the previous blog you made.

2. jacharless profile image76
      jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Meta rel by author, page, a preset javascript hook or rss?

Even still, nice. This could definitely give high quality writers better positioning under the HP umbrella. Very bot friendly. Question (in my head) is how often are the bots set to revisit pages, should an authors pubs begin to rank higher, more follows, etc?

I mean if an author ranks 75 overall and jumps to 88 in say a few days -their hubs only, how soon can they get better positioning based on the crawl rate and page depth?

big_smile

James.

19. KiaKitori profile image67
    KiaKitoriposted 12 years ago

As I understand, if an author is in grace of Google, then doesn't matter where he/she writes as long as it has this rel - author link. Google will find this author's content.
    So, I'm wondering if someone has a great site and great traffic outside HP and comes here (at HP) for backlinks...how's that going to work?

20. profile image51
    SHENLILIposted 12 years ago

GOOD

21. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

We live in hope! big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

22. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 12 years ago

I'm afraid I have had substantial losses. As I am not all that technically able (I'm am really technically challenged) I will have to see what happens, here as well on my other pages all over the net. Thanks for letting us know what is going on. It is really becoming harder and harder to make money on the net, even though my articles are not rubbish.

you can say that again- just read your hub on jewellery making- superb! will follow you and spend some time reading your work- very well done

23. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Keeping the faith in HubPages Team! smile

24. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Appreciate the announcement and the efforts.   smile

25. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

This is wonderful news Paul. I read the details on Google's site. I tried Google's "Rich Snippets Testing Tool" to test my HubPages Profile and it came back as "verified."  smile I tried the same test on my profile on Amazon's site and that wasn't verified. Wow! HubPages is keeping up with things better than Amazon! wink Thank you Paul Deeds for keeping up to date with Google requirements so well!

1. ponx profile image80
      ponxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I tried this too right after reading this announcement in the forums. and it did come back as verified. Thanks for the update Paul.

26. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the hard work and dedication Paul and HubPages Staff. Whether or not some of us Hubbers show it, we certainly appreciate everything that you all do to benefit our work. May we all have continued and/or future success per your dedication.

Thanks a bunch!!!

27. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

I am going to stop earning £0.60 a day on HP and go back to being able to pay my rent?

I,I,I. I mean we. You, me, us. I sorely hope so because I've never seen anything so good get trashed so badly before.

Ain't that the truth!  I had been putting my HP money on my mortgage pre-panda.

I haven't seen you in a while FD!  How are you?

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm fine thank you smile Trying to stem the backward cashflow. It really did pay my rent etc. Gone in a snap. I didn't (and still don't) have a bricks and mortar job to fall back on. Been very tough.

Thank *whomever* that I had someone step in that's helped me keep the wolves from the door.

28. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

So after testing, if we come back as "verified" we need do nothing else?  Is it automatically entered each time we write something new?  Thanks for any extra clarifications.

No testing is necessary - the tag is automatically added to all Hubs and will be added to any new Hubs you publish. smile

Thanks Jason, that is very nice. The tools you guys build save us a heap of time. smile

29. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

As far as this Cheeky Girl is concerned, I am happy to support whatever it is. Hub Pages is doing a great job. And What I say here goes for hubber Astra Nomik too. Thank you Paul! smile

30. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

Good News on the traffic front?

I've kept a fairly low profile during the 'Pandamonium'.  Like many others, my traffic and earnings have dropped by at least 50% of what they were at the beginning of the year.  However, I do appreciate that the HubPages staff have had a really tough time in addressing the issues of low quality content here.  Their efforts have not always been helped by a little negativity by some members of the HP community.

My traffic has been pretty consistent for the last couple of months (ie on the floor) but today there are changes for the better - traffic is climbing significantly and my hub positions in the Google SERPS are improving.  Of course it could be a a blip but I think so called Panda 2.2 is really shaking things up for the better.

Anyone else seeing any light at the end of the tunnel?

Anyway thanks to Paul and the team for their sterling efforts!

My traffic was inching up a tiny bit before today, but it is definitely significantly better today.  I'm excited that I'm not the only one. smile

As for Mark Ewbie's question - oh, boy, he scares me! yikes hmm wink

Oh dear - it just occurred to me that the higher traffic could partly be due to the addition of the rel tags. Is that a possibility?  Sigh.

I'm still pleased with improvements, just a bit less excited.

31. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Well, I tried out the new Google "Measure your Author Quality" site.  You put your rel tag in and a couple of lines of HTML5 - then it forms a judgement based on a complex algobot.

Apparently I scored 3 out of a possible 1,000 and they are sending the camera van up my street to take my Adsense account away.

1. Angie Jardine profile image70
      Angie Jardineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is this gobbledegook, our Mark? Or are you just joshing as usual?

Yes, I'm just fooling around.  What else to do?

32. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

Good one Mark! smile  It puts a fresh spin on 'we know where you live' - my house is there on google maps too!

33. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 12 years ago

I think what you're seeing is just the normal ebb and flow of HP traffic, which seems to increase midweek and drop off on the weekend for a lot of keywords.

http://i54.tinypic.com/20i6j48.jpg

Not sure whether you were responding to me, to Rik, or to HP at large, but....

My numbers for the past 24 hours are the highest they have been since mid-March.  Not quite back to pre-Panda level, but much higher than any midweek bump I've seen.  This may be temporary, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.  Also, come to think of it, I've tended to have a Friday-Saturday bump as a rule, rather than a midweek one.

My comment about it possibly being due to the addition of rel tags wasn't specific enough.  I didn't mean that it might be the result of the tags, as we are all hoping.  Rather, I meant that each time that tag was added to a Hub it would count as a page view, perhaps.  That would not be so exciting!

1. janderson99 profile image52
        janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not much has happened - still waiting.
        Its like a Cargo Cult - beat the drum and look to the heavens.
        All will be delivered. Did I hear a distant plane? A rumble perhaps?
        The Techies will deliver with Google on our side.

34. Angie Jardine profile image70
    Angie Jardineposted 12 years ago

Must admit I am living in hope that HP will sort this.

I'm not as cynical as some of the big names on this thread so maybe I'm just gullible but I do believe that the HP staff have worked hard on the Panda problem and for that I sincerely thank them.

I know I am repeating myself here from other forum threads but if we want rid of the rubbish on HP we should all take the time to Hub Hop and flag the garbage for the staff to work on. A few hops each could make all the difference. There are too few of them to monitor all the dross that comes in.

Once the work here is better quality perhaps Google will look favourably on HP again.  No?

see http://searchengineland.com/coming-soon … -2-2-80848

and  http://www.zdnet.com/blog/seo/google-pa … inent/3256 extract below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Matt McGee, executive news editor for Search Engine Land, has provided additional information on just how Panda is implemented:

In particular…the Panda algorithm is run against Google’s entire index of pages on an infrequent basis, in order to tag certain sites that should be dinged by it, as opposed to some of its automatic spam detection tools.

For example, Google’s constantly scanning for pages that might use hidden text. If it spots them, then it may assess a penalty.

Google is not constantly scanning for pages that might get hit by its Panda penalty. Instead, Google manually runs that algorithm, which then determines which web sites should be hit by it.

This all just goes to show that as Google continues to grow and deal with spam, the company continues to get manually involved with their index much more so than ever — at least, more than they’ve ever been willing to publicly admit, that is.
      --------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully HP is off the HITLIST !!!!

35. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Also, from the ZDNet article:

"For those of you who are aware of Panda and its reach, have you experienced any drawbacks with your pages or noticed continual ranking issues? What about those of you who search Google frequently; have you noticed improved results in your searches?"

Can we hear the pitter-patter of little Hubber feet rushing over to tell ZDNet, NO!  We have not noticed improved results! ?

Me first!

36. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 12 years ago

Can someone explain to an idiot like me how tagging the author's name is going to increase (or decrease) traffic? Does Google have a "Great web author's directory" somewhere and if the tagged name is found there, it will immediately rank up the article in Google search?!

From a previous post in this thread:

And Paul E. linked these two articles:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … earch.html

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … er=1229920

One of those explains that one author may have various profiles across the web; this author-tag will help Google to recognize that it is the same author, despite the differing profiles.

One positive advantage is that if a good author is published on a so-so or questionable site, Google would see the author tag and overlook the site's less-than-stellar rating.  That would be an advantage in situations where entire sites have been downgraded due to some spammy-spinning-scammers.

So, once Google sees the author-tag and lists the article high up in the SERPs, the traffic should start improving.

The opposite outcome is more probable. Three strikes and you're out!
        Three bad articles (or so) or associating with bad sites, and you're branded a 'bad guy' and a 'nuisance'. You will be banished to the outer galaxy for ever. There is no escape you will have to pay for you sins. And Google is the judge, jury and executioner. There's no appeal. The good, the bad and the ugly - all become BAD - very BAD. That's what happened to HP!

37. Gaming Rhinoceros profile image60
    Gaming Rhinocerosposted 12 years ago

Pardon my n00b question, but how would I discover my author tag to that I could add it to my blog?

That's something the staff may have to answer, but the information you need may possibly be in the second of the links I posted (originally from Paul E.).  It's beyond me right now, but you may be able to figure it out.  smile

1. Gaming Rhinoceros profile image60
        Gaming Rhinocerosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for pointing a nice rhino in the right direction.  I think what they're saying is that you use two reciprocal html author tags to point site A towards site B and vice-versa...  Implying that this will cause Google to recognize that the two pages are authored by the same person.  Thing is, I'm not sure how to properly add said tag to my profile here nor at my blog.  (And what do you do if you write at more than two sites?  Use a pile of author tags to web them all to one another?  Use one site's profile as a "hub" (heh heh) and link the others to it like spokes in a wheel?)

I'll mess with it later and report if I figure anything out. smile

I don't think its that complicated. Its all done through two tags

see  http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … er=1229920

extract below:
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          To identify the author of an article or page, include a link to an author page on your domain and add rel="author" to that link, like this:

Written by <a rel="author" href="../authors/mattcutts">Matt Cutts</a>.
          This tells search engines: "The linked person is an author of this linking page." The rel="author" link must point to an author page on the same site as the content page.

An author page on a site can often link to other web pages about the same author, such as the author’s home page or a social networking profile.

To tell Google that all these profiles represent the same person, use a rel="me" link to establish a link between profile pages.

Say that Matt is a frequent contributor to http://example.com. Here’s a link from his http://example.com author page to the page he maintains on http://mattcutts.com:
          <a rel="me" href="http://mattcutts.com">Read more about Matt</a>
          In turn, Matt’s profile on http://mattcutts.com points back to his author page on http://example.com, like this:
          Matt has also written <a rel="me" href="http://example.com/contributors/mattcutts">lots of articles for the Foo Times</a>.
          The reciprocal rel="me" links tell Google that the profiles at http://mattcutts.com and http://example.com/contributors/mattcutts represent the same person.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. mskills profile image80
          mskillsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Rhino,

Google has already added the author tag to Youtube and Blogger content (which I believe is where BlogSpot blogs now reside), as noted in the second-to-last paragraph in the Google Webmaster link

I took a look at your blog and found the following line in your page template source code:

<a class='profile-name-link' href='http://www.blogger.com/profile/16136663900689714357' rel='author'>Pete</a>

This is the author tag.  Every blog post you make will have this line of code that points to your profile.  How to cross-reference between HP and your other sites, however, remains to be seen.

38. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 12 years ago

Call me stupid, (wouldn't be the first time), but isn't the basic HubPages covenant that we no-cost suppliers write sensational work, that makes HP the kind of must-read source that Google can allegedly spot, and allegedly values, then we give up most of the supposedly consequentially 'sensational' AdSense earnings, in exchange for not having to understand all the arcane programmer-level details like the ones in the exchange between mskills and Rhino directly above me? (NOT being rude, just that it's a good exmaple of what I'm talking about, but don't understand, and don't want to have to learn..)

Where's the HP 'fair value exchange' gone, if we are required to know how to do all this, just to earn a share of revenue? Might we then be as well to just say "Sayonara HP", and set out on our own...?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL - well put. 

I'm also thinking that if it's possible to link with your own sites in the way that mskills describes, then surely (in today's post-Panda, anti-content farm climate) it would actually *hurt* your work on other sites rather than benefit it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

You're not required to know how to "do all this" on HubPages, it's already done for us.  The explanation is for those who are curious to know, or who would like to use it on their own sites.

39. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I don't see how the author tag is going to help anything unless you also have the'rel="me" to point to your other sites.

I'm not even sure it is always advisable.  Certainly, if I'm writing about titanium Ding Bat Bolts ("Just Crooked Enough To Drive You Nuts") here and also at my main site, I can see how reciprocal tags (which is NOT what HP is doing) could help Google decide I have more credibility as an expert at those infuriating bolts. 

But if I'm writing about Ding-bat bolts here and Linux at my main site, linking by way of these tags wouldn't help Google see me as anything but the scatter-brained dilettante that I am, so I'm not sure I'd want to help them make that relationship.

The reality is that I might write about several subjects here and may or may not have other places where I do or do not want that linking, so, without being able to control tags on a page by page basis (which I can do at my own sites, of course), I am failing to see the value.

I ASSUME (but do not know) that there would be little or no benefit from a one way link - for example, if I refer to my profile page here with a 'rel="me"' tag at my main site.  Without the corroborating rel="me"  back to my main site from here, why should Google believe that really is me and not some impersonator?

Am I confused?

Gee, if you're confused, what hope is there for the rest of us?  I have to be honest, I looked at this, thought about doing it for my own sites, then gave up because I wouldn't know how. smile

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The HOW is simple - well, assuming you know how to edit raw html, of course but if not, that's easy enough to learn.

It's what it means that is confusing.  Certainly what HP did will help Google identify specific authors here at HP, but whether that's good, bad or indifferent is what I'm confused about.  It is likely good if you are focused, but I have no idea what it might mean otherwise.

As to identifying authors elsewhere, that's not part of what HP is doing, but that could be valuable if (again) you are focused and are writing at multiple sites where you can contril these tags.

1. lrohner profile image70
          lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I think I'll go tag all of my stuff with <a rel="author" href="../authors/mattcutts">Matt Cutts</a>. Sounds to me like I can be anybody I want on the Internet now. smile

Yes, I wondered that.  What concerns me more is Matt Cutts might tag his crap with my name.

He should. His stuff is a little bit, um, dry. smile

2. Pcunix profile image91
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I meant by the need for a reciprocal tag.  Google certainly isn't going to accept you as Matt Cutts unlessTHAT page had a rel="me" pointing back to your profile here.

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining! smile

40. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

Paul is well known for his sense of humor. smile

You dont have to take it to your heart.

41. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

IHmm.. I think he's often amusing  (with the qualification that you do need to be a bit geekish to appreciate him).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)