The +1 has arrived on our hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Yes it has. smile smile smile

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How fantastic!  I noticed a short while ago that the forum post box suddenly looked wider, and the page looked wider (as had been promised a little while ago).  Oh boy, I can't wait!

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP just keeps getting better and better. The facebook button did wonders for us. I expect even more from the +1 button.

Me too!  I am going to have to be careful about using it, though.  I am concerned that over-zealousness in plus-one-ing (? hmm) could be detrimental.  But I definitely plan to use it in what I believe to be a judicious manner.

I'm very excited about this; thanks for pointing it out!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

I wonder what other Easter Eggs are out there. smile

2. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 12 years ago

Great news.But, I am not sure if any organic user is ever going to use that plus button.

We will certainly find out soon enough. smile

Maybe soon enough - or maybe it will take a little while for it to catch on. big_smile In any case, we've been asking for it and now it's here.  Wheeeee! lol

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think they're going to be careful about it, because as a "natural" Hubber and searcher I know I will be.  It's rare that I find anything that meets my "bar" of a "Plus One" in searches.  I find stuff that's fine, but it doesn't "move"/"impress" me to the point where I'd plus-one it.  It has to be better than "fine" to me.

Well, in my Google Plus account, to give you an idea of how picky I am (although I don't go around searching all that often), I have, I think, two or three Plus one's that I've done.  (I've done others before the account was set up, though, but I had the same standard before too.)

We've already heard that Google will essentially be assigning "weight" to people's plus-one's.  I don't know if their system will "assume" I'm just not very active on the Internet, of if it will "assume" I have a really high bar for what deserves the plus-one.  I can't worry about it.  At least the system won't think I'm "up to something funny" (at least when it comes to that).  That's all I really care about. 

I saw something where someone asked about buying plus-one's.  hmm    I suppose, as always, it was that "the-Internet-is-a-business" thing, and that one can always buy his way into doing better in business and in life.  That's true sometimes, but there's a point where people have to know where to draw the line before they make themselves look really questionable to a whole lot of other people (and businesses).

Personally, I don't think now is the time for people to get the "bad graces" of Google (if they care about their own "business" )  But, buying's going to go on. 

As far as organic visitors on HubPages goes, I can see how it may take a really great Hub to make one even think about plus-one-ing it, but I think a really satisfied "customer" may well go looking for ways to indicate it (especially in the plus-one environment that a lot of people have been used to for awhile now).

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

I do not remember that border being around our hubs before...

1. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too.it's pretty cool

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

I should have titled this thread "Easter Egg Hunt". lol

5. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

Pages looks nice and cleaner, and the +1 button is a pleasant surprise.

So how does it really work?

6. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I don't know how it works really, either!  does a +1 bring more traffic somehow through Google?

7. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Yes, the Google +1 button has been installed on Hubs. Please read the announcement explaining it a bit more:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81071

8. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Jason just opened a sticky thread with a caution about this.

+1 is similar to a FB Like.  It is possible for people to see who has +1'd an article or another post.  I'm not clear yet whether someone has to have a Google-Plus account in order to +1 something.

EDIT - I cross-posted.  smile

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, you don't need a Google+ account to +1 something. You just need a Google account (like a Gmail account).

9. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I'm still not clear, though, about how +1 works - how does it bring more traffic? do people really look to see which sites have the most +1s?  I see when someone likes things on facebook and sometimes go see what my friends like, but how does it work on google?  And since google will know if it is other hubbers +1 ing our hubs, and since most of my traffic is hubbers and facebook friends and google wants the +1s to come from people who don't know me, is it going to do me a bit of good, really?  remains to be seen, hope so!  where does that increased traffic from +1s come from, is what I'm getting at.  Can somebody explain?

We're talking about Google here, so we really don't know. (They tend to be cryptic about these sorts of things)

Currently, +1ing something will simply show on your public Google profile that you like it. It doesn't seem to be integrated into Google+, Google's social network, just yet.

Because Google is showing +1 numbers in Analytics and Webmaster Tools, they seem to be hinting that it could have some sort of impact on search rankings. However, it will probably not be a matter of the higher the number of +1s, the better your rankings. If you +1 all your Hubs in order to boost their ranking, you might find that that sort of strategy will backfire.

I would guess that +1s from people who don't know you are probably the most valuable, since if Google is able to see that, then they'll know that the +1s are not self-serving or from friends just doing you a favor.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

This may not answer the questions-- but this is the tread that talks about it.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81071

Don't click it  for yourself or for other hubbers.

11. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

One thing that I read in an article about Post Rank was very illuminating.  That is, the big G knows what sort of articles and posts any individual has +1'ed, as well as which other posters have +1'ed that individual's articles and posts.

If I, for example, do a lot of spammy or silly +1-ing all over the web, then the value of my +1's will decrease.  If I tend to use the +1 button for content that is valued highly by "experts" and the people who follow them, then the value of my +1 will increase.  And, I assume that G will keep track of how often we add +1's, relative to all of our other activity.  So it could possibly even be detrimental if we do a great deal of +1-ing of high-quality content - that is, more than we normally would do.

Yes, that's probably all true.

IMHO the best policy is just to treat the +1 button as a way of expressing that you like a page (anywhere on the Web). There's little risk of doing harm that way. smile

12. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

With respect to Google wanting to gather more and more information about individuals, I'm sure they will use +1 activity to shove even more supposedly "targeted" advertising down people's throats and skew search results even further towards unwanted "personalisation".

That is one reason why I will never +1 anything any more. I've tagged two items so far, but the more I think about it, the less I like it.

1. 2uesday profile image64
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We think alike on this.

In my case I even find ads. following me from site to site irritating, and have come to assume that in the way a store gives you a points card so that it can track your purchases and target you, Google is also gathering info on us, but for what purpose? I guess it will all make sense to me one day.

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

As far as I know, I have the two/three Plus One's I have under that category on that account is not seen by the public.  I set it to "private".  I've been assuming that means that Google "sees" what my "vote" has been for (or could if it were inclined to look), but the public doesn't.  Maybe my vote doesn't count if only Google's system has access to it?  If it doesn't that's fine.  It's staying private for my own reasons (at least for now).

My "thing" is:  "Here's the profile if anybody wants to know who/what I am within the context of what I write online."  I don't mind letting readers/potential readers/Google know who/where the writing comes from.  Other than that, that's as involved as I plan to get with the Google+ account, and that's as public as anything is going to get.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)