One of my Hubs Went Viral with Pinterest

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 53 discussions (139 posts)
  1. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

I have 62 hubs and was getting about 500 views a day during good times, before Panda until they went down to 200.
    Then I started using the "Pin It" button in my Chrome bookmarks bar which allows you to pin every picture featured on a Hub (unlike the HP sidebar pin button which only pins the top picture).

Over a period of a few weeks my daily views went up to a staggering 6,546 views a day as per today. One Hub on "How To Treat And Cure Stiff Neck Or Shoulder To ease The Pain" (written on 05/06/10), is mainly responsible with a sudden increase from about 30 to 6,123 views a day! That leaves only 423 views for all the other 61 Hubs, which also got pinned (hmm).
    Is that a viral Hub or what?

Of course my earnings have also increased considerably.

So what can I say... use catching pictures and get pinning, you too might hit the Pinterest jackpot! cool

Has anyone else experienced this?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sue, I have a question. I have the Pin It button on my Chrome bookmarks as well, when I click on it all the photos from the hub show up. Do I have to pin each individual photograph one at a time?

1. younghopes profile image67
        younghopesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hi, well i can answer that, you can just pin picture at a time on pinterest from all the photos which come. Try to choose the one which is more attractive. however, if you wish after a week or so you can again 'pin' the same article and now with a different picture and somewhat different title. it will work wonders, as this has been my experience

2. Faith A Mullen profile image81
      Faith A Mullenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is awesome, Sue! Congrats! I have not had nearly the numbers that you're getting yet, but Pinterest has been my number one traffic source so far. One of my hubs in particular generates consistent Pinterest traffic.

I just noticed this week that when I scroll over pictures in published hubs, there is now a "Pin it" button (I think HubPages just added the function). This makes it even easier to pin individual pictures from hubs.

3. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I pin other hubbers articles that I find interesting or useful to others.I receive notices almost daily that something was repinned, sometimes dozens of times.
      It's a good thing as long as you're helping other hubbers.

4. Eric Calderwood profile image79
      Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've only used the pin it button (on HP) for the first time with my latest Hub.  I only recently learned about it and am excited to see what happens.  I didn't know about the chrome pin it option either.  I'm still deciding on whether or not to go with chrome, but this is one more thing to consider in my choice.

5. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sue, not sure how this works; if you're using Chrome as a browser, if you Pin something does it automatically pin all the photos, or do you have to do something special?

Sue Adamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a little button called "Pinit" in the Bookmarks bar of Chrome. When you click it, it shows all the pictures on the page you are on. Then you have to click each picture you want to add to your Pinterest Boards individually and "pin it"! It only takes a couple of seconds per picture. It also offers the option to Tweet each pin while you are at it.

1. AMFredenburg profile image73

Wow, thanks! I will definitely do this, both with my own article (way too few of them so far) and with those of other Hubbers.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
            Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can pin a few pics that you used on your hubs to try to bring people to read them. Just don't go crazy with it.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
              Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Guys. I have to check it right away and try it.

6. mariellenikka profile image61
      mariellenikkaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's great can you help me increase traffic to my hubs?Sould I sign up for pinterest now? This my new hub by the way http://mariellenikka.hubpages.com/_3u32 … pp-for-iOS

1. bridalletter profile image78
        bridalletterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you click on a picture in a hub, the collection of images appear like a slideshow. Hover over the bottom and the pin button is available for all pictures. You can pin any picture, either way. Some people opt out, but the button will not appear at all in that case.

1. mariellenikka profile image61
          mariellenikkaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this tip, I signed up for pinterest just now. smile

7. younghopes profile image67

wonderful Sue, this is nice to hear from a fellow with common interests, though i havent been able to get that amount of traffic from pinterest as others but i am hopeful it will help me out with time.

8. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In the past 24 hours I got 100 views from Pinterest on one of my hubs! This hub's normally been getting about 100 views a month. Not the viral hub you have Sue Adams, but a significant increase non the less.

1. Marsha Musselman1 profile image83
        Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have seen the pinit feature on the pictures and I also have the chrome pinit in the bookmark section. I didn't realize that I could pin my own pictures, I thought it was only there to pin others photos.

I'll have to give that a shot too. I have been pinning each of my hubs but I don't think that I've gotten any activity from those pins as yet.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

Congratulations! I do get a fair amount of traffic through Pinterest, but don't use it nearly enough.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

That is fantastic, well done to you and.... no... I have had no success with Pinterest despite a fair amount of spamming... I mean sharing.

1. Jools99 profile image89
      Jools99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I pinned your Farty Frog onto my Pinterest and it's getting views Mark - people clearly love flatulent amphibians smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah... it was you.  I just noticed some visits!  Thanks very much.

As for the flatulent bit.  That is actually how amphibious creatures raise and lower themselves in the water.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Mark, I find that difficult to believe when you have all those adorable little stick men at your disposal.

I found it hard to believe as well - but I have certainly tried.  Practical, useful, beauty - that seems to be the Pinterest thing.  Not what I do.  No matter.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hollie, Haven't you heard - Mark's going in a new direction
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/10361373191 … dCKQ3mQXGH

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7779253_f248.jpg

Very good GA!

5. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

This is encouraging to hear.  I can see that I need to pin more of my hubs/photos (originals).  Thanks so much for sharing!

6. Sue Adams profile image96

I agree with Hollie Mark. I looked you up on Pinterest and only found one pin:http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Mark+Ewbie

Maybe you have a different account name?

No I'm Mark Ewbie.  Actual id is markewbie - all one word.  Maybe I got banned for too many self promotional links.  I don't do a lot but they are all just my own pictures.  No one else's.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mark, then you should open another account. One of your little stick men with a funny catch phrase could definitely go viral methinks.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I started to get more repins (on mostly my own stuff) when I started re-pinning other people's stuff, not just hubs, but whatever I found interesting, and following more people. It works a lot better if you actually participate.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I repin others' stuff all the time. Seriously, if it's purdy and I like it, why not? smile

2. younghopes profile image67

same with me, till the time i was just pinning my own stuff it wasnt bringing much traffic, so now i keep on pinning from other blogs/hubs and once in a while put mine too. this brings better traffic

7. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

Mark, divide your drawings into categories-- move them into categoris like fridge magnets, tote bags, animals, art,  hholidays, cultures or anything you want. It will make a better display on your pinterest home page-- and lots  of them will show when someone visits you (from the pin button on your HP profile, for instance).

Thanks for the advice Rochelle, and Hollie also.

Mark, your "Facebook Life" matched my mood. I Fired that puppy off. Hope it doesn't hit too close to home for them, as in "Pinterest Life" and "Twitter Life". big_smile

Thanks PD!

8. Sue Adams profile image96

Yes Luis, you have to pin each one separately. If you have a twitter account it also lets you tweet the same image with a link onto twitter while you are at it. Every little link helps, right? smile

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been pinning and tweeting but I was just wondering if all the photos could be pinned at once. Thanks for the input.

9. Sue Adams profile image96

Mark,
    I agree with Hollie and Rochelle.  Open a Pinterest account as Mark Ewbie (in 2 words) and create "Boards" for your own categories. I'm sure you'll have a keen audience once they get to know your work.

10. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

I'm glad that worked out for you.

I'd like to take a moment to urge you to be cautious about over promotion, though. Pinning every single image from every article you write seems like a good way to get flagged as a spammer.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For those that don't remember or weren't here, Pinterest shut down any and every pin from HP in response to excessive pinning, most likely by people spamming their own hubs.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well there goes that option I spose.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was only down for a couple of days. I believe HubPages said it had been a mistake. It's OK to post your hubs, just don't overdo.

1. profile image0

I just did my first one thanks to Hubber-help! smile

2. wilderness profile image95

Oh, I wouldn't quit pinning - I pin my own hubs - just don't spam Pinterest looking for nothing but backlinks to your own stuff.  Use your Pinterest account for what it is intended for - drawing interest to both pics and links, not just a backlinking site.

1. profile image0

Ok, thanks wilderness. smile

2. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yes, wilderness:  I remember that well.  I also remember when HP first offered Pinterest, there were many Hubbers who wanted NO part of it!  I love it, and get decent traffic from there.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tweeting every image from your hubs would be spamming.  I would stop following someone who used their account like that.

11. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

You're welcome, Mark! smile

12. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 11 years ago

Glad to hear a positive story about Pinterest.  It is lovely to look at things posted there smile.

13. Tealparadise profile image83
    Tealparadiseposted 11 years ago

Pinterest can be great, but for 90% of people it will be a flop just like Twitter.  If you are going to use Pinterest, please don't spam.  It doesn't do anything except drive people away and get hubpages banned from sites.  There are tons of guides available on correct and incorrect use of Pinterest.

With the new layout coming out, when users click their pin it will show "other pins to this board" and for spammers your dirty laundry will be immediately aired to the world.

14. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Holy mackarel!  That was awesome!  I do get lots of traffic from Pinterest but never got anything even remotely close to 6k+ a day. Wow!!!  Congratulations, Sue!  Cheers!

15. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience!  I've begun experimenting with Pinterest and you've encouraged me to continue.  Going to check out your hit hub and pin it to my Solve It board (which I will soon have to subdivide!).

I normally start making boards on Pinterest when I'm bored, or can't think of anything to write. I have used pictures from articles I wrote on other sites. It's possible it may have helped me a little bit, it's so hard to tell. Pinterest is just the computer version of scrapbooking, I think. Sometimes when I remember to go to the A/C and look, I'm surprised anyone is there! Also, we need to be careful where we get the images, if you just copy an image somebody else got from Google Images, it will get us all in trouble.

16. Sue Adams profile image96

Why would that get "all of us" into trouble Jean?

1. Tealparadise profile image83
      Tealparadiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is just my opinion, but even relatively bottom-rung users of Pinterest are pretty familiar with the "usual" pins.  It's very transparent when someone grabs a photo (not realizing it is a commonly pinned photo b/c they don't participate much on Pinterest) and tries to use it to promote a new website.

An example of this is a hair dye "tutorial" I recently saw posted.  The "finished" photo was actually a very commonly pinned photograph from the last few months, making the entire guide suspect.  The pin immediately got comments like "Don't try this: fake pic.  No way of knowing how it will work."  and similar.

There is a "report" button making it easy to report pins that are not following copyright, or are misleading.  Often, pictures stolen from Google images make a pin both of those things.  Pinterest also uses a user-moderated system, where merely getting enough "flags" will cause content to start redirecting to a warning page without moderator review.

Additionally Pinterest flags some sites itself if there are too many reports on pins from a certain domain.  Then, when users go to click over to your site, they get a big red WARNING: users have flagged this site as malicious!!!!   (maybe not that exact wording- but I remember the last time I got it and it definitely made me wonder about viruses, scams, etc. not just un-credited images)

Definitely bad press for all of us, and possibly a blanket ban from Pinterest, making it impossible to pin hubs.   (this happens to Etsy frequently - Pinterest is one of the few places that hasn't blanket-banned Etsy promotion)

Here is some info from Pinterest HQ

https://help.pinterest.com/entries/2216 … rs-or-spam

https://help.pinterest.com/entries/2143 … -Pinterest

https://help.pinterest.com/entries/2130 … -Pinterest

HP has already gotten a site wide blanket ban from Pinterest once.  I suppose that's not surprising with the number of hubbers pinning their new hubs, and Paul and Robin got it straightened out pretty quickly, but it did happen.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is Sherri Hewins wrong then, because she said it ended up being a mistake that was quickly fixed after a couple of days?

Quote: "It was only down for a couple of days. I believe HubPages said it had been a mistake. It's OK to post your hubs, just don't overdo."

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/110458? … ost2350885

I don't know what kind of "mistake" it was, but no it didn't last long. 

I've kind of wondered if it all happened because of thousands of hubbers pinning hubs.  Some of course were really spamming Pinterest with nothing but backlinks to their own stuff, but there are so many of us that it would probably look like spamming whether it was or not.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
              mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh good, sounds like it isn't much of an issue then. Personally I have only pinned a relatively small percentage of my existing hubs, plus some articles from my personal website, but didn't want to find out it was against any Pinterest rules. Sounds like it is fine if we don't go too mad on it.

That's all, Misty - just don't go mad with it.

2. Tealparadise profile image83

I believe it must have been the user flags system auto-ban.  For them to say it was a mistake is silly- you can't mistakenly ban a website.  Likely the domain was flagged too often (for spam) and was auto-banned.

Maybe, though it seems silly to ban a place with thousands of authors for the actions of a few.  Or maybe that was the mistake; automatics did it because there were too many flags for particular subdomains, and really shouldn't have banned the entire site.

I think that's what happened.

Probably.  It was kind of funny at the time: Paul and Robin (or maybe Simone?) walked down the street to Pinterest, but nobody would talk to them.  They had to go back and phone instead of face to face.

It was all fixed pretty quickly, although I've always thought a lot of pins were lost forever.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sue,
      As Wilderness pointed out, at one point Pinterest stopped accepting any pins from anyone on HP because of over promoting of Hubs. So that hurts all of us, even though you may get a small boost of attention for a while. Many images are copyrighted, and we aren't supposed to be using an image on a hub if we can't trace it back to the original source or site where it came from. It's hard to do. I especially have trouble since I write about Metaphysical subjects and it's hard to find appropriate pictures.

I used to use Google Images when I was a newbie, and am still finding new images I can attribute to the source on my old hubs as I have time. So if you post every pic from everyone of your hubs, eventually Pinterest will reject your stuff. Be careful what you post. Happy to hear you are getting results though.

Sue Adamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am aware of the copyright restrictions Jean, that is why I now prefer to create my own original pictures. Personally I don't mind if others use them as long as I get a link back to the relevant hub..

Hi Sue,
          I wasn't trying to lecture you or anything. It's all just so frustrating. I think Pinterest has helped me a little bit, but nothing big so far.

17. Sue Adams profile image96

Well, thank you for all that useful info Tealparadise.
    I usually mix my pins with images from other sites to not appear too spammy. The copyright question is also a must. I'll go back and check that all pics are accredited and allowed.

I have seen some beautiful Pinterest accounts, some with thousands of pins. It is a marvelous way of sharing info through the visual arts, which are, to me, so much more poignant that the written word.

Then again I sometimes wonder... when public taste, as you mention, turns an image into a public symbol (I have seen the same image with different watermarks, each claiming ownership), then where is the line between private and public ownership?

If I, as an artist saw my work turning into public symbol, would I be pleased, or angry? What could I do about it?

Copyright is definitely standing on shaky legs.

I've actually filed a DMCA for a stolen photo and gotten it taken down.  It's mine and I don't like thieves. yikes

I've also had a few requests to re-publish a photo, and have always given permission.  If you ask, give a link back and follow the law I don't mind at all.

2. Tealparadise profile image83

"If I, as an artist saw my work turning into public symbol, would I be pleased, or angry? What could I do about it?"

This is so so true.  I participate in a lot of forums where "meme" or "viral" images are generated and posted.  So at times I know exactly where a user got an image, no matter how they are posting it now.

But especially for casual photographers and internet users who posted those images in good faith, not caring if others used it.... I feel the line becomes very gray as you said with watermarking and false attribution.  There is a big problem with "public" untraceable content in that no one will ever step up and say "It's mine, stop." because there is no origin to prove it.  (e.g. the original was posted on a forum which deletes content of a certain age, 100 people saved the image, 10 people post it as theirs a month later)

So basically whoever makes it big first ends up "winning" it because people will assume it is theirs - often not the case!

1. Page1 SEO tactics profile image55
        Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree to an extent, however, the rightful owner of the image can easily claim the image by pulling up the image file properties (right click the file and select properties) which provide the name and date the file was created and when the last edit was. Thus you have the evidence that the image copyright belongs to you.

18. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 11 years ago

Many media sites like Yahoo Shine primarily pins their own things, so I would not get too worked up about this.

19. profile image0
    AccumulateAmericaposted 11 years ago

I joined up on this, but to be safe. I pinned another persons hub image too... *cough* Tomorrow Ill pin from FB, and even the mmm use out a little. big_smile

20. Joseph Muendo profile image50
    Joseph Muendoposted 11 years ago

Nice achievement I guess photos do drive traffic back to your site or hub.

21. lorddraven2000 profile image91
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

Congrats. Pinterest is an amazing tool for us here at hubpages.

22. alanrammel profile image68
    alanrammelposted 11 years ago

I've not tried Pinterest, is it really any good? What do you do?

23. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

I've only pinned a select few of my own hubs.  I will probably step up my game, but a little at a time. Pinterest certainly captures my attention and used carefully can improve traffic.  Alanrammel - I suggest you sign up smile

24. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Which reminds me, I don't have any pinterest followers either.
    Is Dustin Evans on every single pin on everyone's wall or just mine?

I have a few boards on Pinterest, and only a few links back to things I've written in various places. I view Pinterest as the computer version of scrapbooking. I normally sit and make a board when I have no ideas about what to write, or just feel lazy. But it looks like that's what some people do all day, I have to keep changing my settings, because I was deluged with mail about people pinning and repinning things, and I really don't care.

As far as attributions, I have emailed people at least 10 times to ask for permission to use a photo, and never once got an answer back. I've taken off any family or personal pictures I had on the internet I don't want used, although since they were there at one time, I may run across them again. I have trouble finding good photos, and the usual places don't help me.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I have yet to see the point of pinterest, but Im willing to give it a try. I have no followers on twitter or pinterest... they're both new, but Im not sure how to achieve this end.

25. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Nice to hear that Pinterest is working out for somebody. I've been using it for a while and have seen only minimal traffic from it (to be honest, saying it's "minimal" is probably being kind)... I guess I don't "pin" the sort of thing that Pinteresters dig.

1. profile image0

I pinned a cool pic of negative space.

Found it. I didn't want to freak my followers, so repinned your Ewbie pic instead. big_smile

1. profile image0

You found me? Yay! I thought I had disappeared into cyberspace out there. Someone is finally following me on pinterest... is that you?

Yes, the stalking has begun...

1. profile image0

I usually enjoy a good stalking... So you saw my negative space one? That was crazy huh?

I'm pretty sure I recognize her from my senior year.

1. profile image0

lol

26. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 11 years ago

I struggle with images as I don't have a "posh phone" that takes images - and as it seems to be perpetually raining, I don't want to take my camera out in the rain and faff about trying to keep rain off the lens - not to mention finding a subject to snap/write about that looks good in March/in the rain.

Maybe I need to buy a kitten and stay in with the camera and write hubs about kittens.... I bet they love kittens on Pinterest.

smile

Frankly, when I click on the Most Popular link and see what's there, I generally want to puke. lol

It's a woman's site, and I am therefor doomed...

PDS, it's a fashion site. It's all clothes and pictures of Will and Kate. Not all women are into these things!

True. big_smile

Let's start our own Pinterest. It could be named 'Hollie's Paradigmsearch' Or not, as the case may be!

There are lots of food pictures, outer space ones, and of course, Kittens. I like dogs better.

Have you seen Grumpy Cat?
                http://www.grumpycats.com/

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
                DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jean I do not want to be accused of self-promotion but I want to invite you to go and check out my boards on Pinterest. Besides Dog Health, Dog Behavior, Choosing a Dog, etc, there are several group boards that you might like to look through.
                BTW Hollie, there are no clothes, fashion icons, or photos of Will and Kate (who are they?)

27. Winterfate profile image94
    Winterfateposted 11 years ago

Aww, I've never had a hub go viral like that! sad

Congrats though! Hope things look even better for you in the future. smile

28. Deron Wagner profile image61
    Deron Wagnerposted 11 years ago

Congrats. Thanks for sharing that tip.

I use Pinterest to put my hubs on too, but the problem is that my hubs are of a very limited niche of people (short term stock trading), rather than a broad topic.

Maybe it's time to get creative and broaden my horizons.

29. christin53 profile image85
    christin53posted 11 years ago

I am really glad I have a Pinterest account because that's where most of my traffic is coming from.Google seems to have fallen out with me sad

30. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

Tidbit. Pinterest is HPs #2 source of traffic.

Well.  It doesn't even show in my overall traffic stats yet, though it does on a few individual hubs.

Seems I've got some work to do....

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm, I wonder what #1 is now?  cool

3. Tealparadise profile image83

Interesting tidbit!  Thanks for the info.  I know that this week one of my hubs went viral.  It's only showing 500 today from Pinterest ("only") but traffic today is up by about 800 compared to a normal traffic day.

31. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

According to G.A., YTD, Pinterest is #8 for me.

Interestingly, an actual Hubber's subdomain was #3. Until she got run out of town... sad

You're right - GA says it's #10 for the month. 

Interestingly, google dot com is the #1 referrer - wonder what that refers too?  Not the search engine - it's a tiny faction of what that provides.

Twitter was #40 for me. I knew I was wasting my time with them... lol

32. ktrapp profile image93
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

I recently came across a Hub (via Pinterest) about a weight loss diet that has over 1 million Pins!

33. Sue Adams profile image96

Wow! one million pins is incredible! Can you tell us which hub, ktrapp?
    Since starting this thread 2 weeks ago my views and earnings are still rising.

1. ktrapp profile image93
      ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if I should put the link here because I know some people like to keep which Hubs are doing well to themselves. Then again, Pinterest = 1M+ is displayed right on the Hub. What do you think?

I'd love to be able to read this Hub.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK...here comes a big question:  Is Pinterest only for original photos that you take, or is it for any photos?  I mostly use public domain photos, so before I try to get involved in all of this, I'd like to know what the deal is.  Anybody care to explain this to me??

1. nifwlseirff profile image94
            nifwlseirffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would think Public Domain and Creative Commons (for commercial use, 'cos HP is a commercial site), *when properly attributed on the hub*, should be fine to be pinned. Not sure if you need to attribute the sources in the pin description though -- murky.

Many people modify images to be pinned - with Creative Commons, you need to make sure these aren't ND (no derivatives), which forbid modification.

34. cabmgmnt profile image85
    cabmgmntposted 11 years ago

There are some great tips here. I gain a lot of traffic from Pinterest and have had a hub go viral from Facebook. Social networking pays off!

35. mikewilson01 profile image58
    mikewilson01posted 11 years ago

great smile

36. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

What JACKPOT?  It's as stupid as invalid clicks monitored by Google. ..or paying for people to just click on your links.  What's the WINNING?  Think about it.

37. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

If I'm understanding your right. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to post all of your pictures from one hub I would worry that Pinterest would think it's spam. I do pin my hubs but only one time.This will also work on IE with the pin-it button you can pick the picture you want to go on Pinterest.
    It's great that you got that many views.

38. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Two questions please ...

Firstly, how many pins are best on one board? A dozen ... or a much larger number?

Also, I joined Pinterest a few days ago (thanks to Que Scout) and discovered quite a few of my photos and hubs were already pinned there. So if I pin them freshly from my own pages, is that the right thing to do? Or should I now re-pin my pics from other people's boards?

Better to re-pin, but that is only my o-pin-ion.  (ha)

Also boards should have many many pins.  Don't think of it as an art gallery, think of it as a library.  How many fiction books should you have?  As many good ones as you can get.

The top users on Pinterest have thousands of pins per board.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
        LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

O-pin-ion. Perfect!! Thanks for the tip, Tealparadise. I'll go look for you on Pinterest and follow. smile

39. gabgirl12 profile image61
    gabgirl12posted 11 years ago

I gotta see how that work, can you write a hub detailing how you did it?

40. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

This is a very interesting forum for someone like me who recently joined Pinterest.  Thanks for all the input!  smile

41. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

UPDATE - 4 months later
    After all this time, the viral hub in question is still at the top of my list. It settled down to around 1500 views a day. When I looked at the stats it showed organic back-links recommending the article, so the spread may be on. I have another hub now which has reached 500 views a day via Pinterest.

I changed my tactics now. When looking for ideas for new articles, I make a killer picture first, so Pinterest may viralize it.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8254935_f248.jpg

I actually enjoy drawing more than writing, so info-graphics, here I come.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a good idea to create an image for Pinterest and build the hub around it.

42. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the update Sue, and congratulations! That is awesome!

43. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

Congratulations, Sue! Very, very awesome indeed! Do you think pinning more than one picture is what is captivating your hub so much? I'm just curious what the difference makes in using the HP Pin button on the right side of our hubs or the Chrome PinIt button. I personally like organization, so I don't want to have a bunch of pictures from the same hub all over the place unless they are all attached together like a slideshow in Pinterest. But, I'm wondering if several pics for one hub is what makes the difference. Though I'm sure your hub is probably a hot topic as well.

44. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

In the three months since I joined Pinterest I've since a dramatic increase in traffic, so thanks to the folk who encouraged me to try it. I am happy to pin my original photos but always feel reluctant about pinning photos from other hubs where the pics are not original. I don't like the idea of pinning something that is tired and jaded from many different sites using the same image.

What difference do you think it makes?

It makes a big difference. Even on HP, we are supposed to know the source or choose our pictures from sites made for that purpose, like Pixabay, and they list others in the rules at the beginning pages of HP. I find I have trouble finding pictures from those sites, as I write about Astrology, the Tarot and other metaphysical stuff. There are just so many pics from Nasa.gov you can use. I have my own Tarot decks. They seem to let it go if the hub is old, though I am trying to change the pictures as I have time.

On Pinterest, once people keep repinning, it gets harder and harder to find the source. I just asked someone if it was OK to use a picture of a piece of furniture she refinished. But in all the times I've asked for permission to use a photo, not one person has answered me. This results in the kind of thing like has happened with Google, it eventually gets all of Hubpages downgraded, even though many of us have good content. However, the administration here never gives us a straight answer about what we can do. I've also left a note on a few Pinterest boards to ask if I can use a picture. The recommended sites don't give you much to work with, IMHO.

1. Abby Campbell profile image74
        Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jean. I have used pics from Pixabay.com, PublicDomainPictures.net, and Wikimedia.org. However, if I can't find something I need, I will go to Google Images... then click on the navigation wheel on the far right-hand side of the menu row... then click "Advanced Search"... scroll to the bottom and click on "free to use or share, even commercially" and then type in my search at the top of the page. All public domain pictures will pop up that you can use commercially. Just click on the picture, and you'll be taken to the site so that you can be sure by looking for the permissions (Creative Commons License). You may already know this, but I thought I would let you know just in case as it has helped me a great deal.

45. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

That's good news. I'll have to start using Pinterest more.

46. NiaG profile image84
    NiaGposted 10 years ago

That's awesome. I recently noticed that one of mine has started circulating through there. Not nearly hitting those record numbers but that is awesome! Kudos to you.

47. beaddve1800 profile image64
    beaddve1800posted 10 years ago

Good. If you have good pictures on hub and pin it on Pinterest, you will get good traffic.

48. Nicole Henley profile image69
    Nicole Henleyposted 10 years ago

That's wonderful. I have had one of mine repinned a few times. It feels pretty good.

Keep up the good work!

49. Medical-Reference profile image87
    Medical-Referenceposted 10 years ago

As stumbleupon is down for quite a long a time, pinterest just occupies the empty position of traffic referring. Go on and pin as more as you can.

50. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

Well it looks like my little puff of traffic from Pinterest has died down. I got over 100 view to one of my hubs from Pinterest yesterday, but only 10 today. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I think Pinterest is great for marking websites I like and want to revisit. So easy to categorize them and see everything. If you just use it like that, and also pin your Hubs, I think you get lots more followers. You also find other people who are interested in the stuff you like, so they are more likely to repin your stuff.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)