What books do you have on your bed-side at the moment?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (55 posts)
  1. lizzieBoo profile image61
    lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

So what book are on your bedside table right now? Just being nosy.

lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK here's mine: Women in Love, DH Lawrence, Wollstonecraft and Godwin Memoirs, Bede Ecclesiastical History of the English people, Selected Poems TS Eliot and Ladybird 'learning with mother book3'. I also have the playscript for 'We happy few' which I must learn by mid november.
      What books do you have and why?

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Complete works of Josephus

2. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

"The Watchers", by Dean Koontz.

I've read it many times before--I always drag his old books back out every so often, just because I love them, lol.

Ah, I don't know this. Must look it up.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is one of my favorites too!

3. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Ruth Rendell mysteries, I haven't read them all yet!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kane and Abel, Geoffry Archer- Remastered edition. Brilliant!

Sorry, I forgot to say why lizzieboo. Pace, plot and complete mastery. If that makes sense, think I just made the last word up. lol

lol

4. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I love to read before I go to sleep, but I got addicted to hubbing for a while. lol And then I got interested in making videos.  So, by the time I hit the bed at 1:00-2:00am (sometimes even later), I was just too tired to read.  Recently, I found a book I bought from the library sale for 25cents... a romance by Lynn Kurland, "With Every Breathe I Take" (Whoo! so cheesy!), which I started reading last year but never finished.  I had forgotten what it was all about... so I started reading it again from the beginning, and I am loving it.

5. profile image0
    andycoolposted 12 years ago

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. smile

Stephen Hawkings is ace, fascinating man.

1. profile image0
        andycoolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm one of his die hard fans! smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I have a Kindle so all of my books are at my bedside smile

I just downloaded some more free ones to read. Currently I'm reading a Just William book from the 20s.

7. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

I just got done reading American Assassin by Vince Flynn. Excellent book. All of his books are good.

Next is either Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy or SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Kindle for me too.  I just started Charles Frazier's "Nightwoods". You have to wait a decade between each of his novels, so it's pretty exciting when one comes out.

9. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 12 years ago

I'm re-reading Sylvia Brown's Life on the Other Side and her book on dream intrepretation. To add to the stack I'm half way through Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer. Love those other worldly experiences and the law stories.

10. lizzieBoo profile image61
    lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

I think it's really fascinating what people read. It's often quite in contrast with what people think you are.

11. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas.  It's been there a long time, it's a long book!

12. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 12 years ago

H.D.Wells - Selected Short Stories

13. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 12 years ago

The Holy Bible

14. profile image0
    jami l. pereiraposted 12 years ago

i must admit i have none .

15. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

How you can make $25,000 a year with your camera + an Aussie book by Judy Nunn
    for now !

16. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

the bible
    Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Myers
    Codependent No More

17. Moms-Secret profile image77
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

When the hurt runs deep - Kay Arthur
    Heaver is for real - T. Burpo
    Healing A Spouse's grieving heart - 100 Practical ideas after your husband dies - A.D.Wolfelt

18. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier - I've already read it years ago, but love to pick it up and read random pages, stunningly written first novel

Portrait of a Lady - Henry James - classic literature never gets old

Library of World Poetry - wonderful

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've just read the first two chapters of Frazier's latest novel.  Looks like it will be right on par with the others.

19. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have no books next to my bed-side at the moment. I have several hundred books in my room, but don't read in bed.

20. anupma profile image68
    anupmaposted 12 years ago

I like ti have some inspirational short stories or good poems. I like to read before sleeping.

21. profile image0
    juliafranceschiniposted 12 years ago

I'm on a reading slump. I have books on my beside, but nothing new and interesting. Currently re-reading We by Zamyatin, but not getting very far. Some works on this forum sound appealing, may give them a try, but I hate to leave a book I've started until I finish it.

22. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Just finishing Stephen King's latest - Full Dark, No Stars.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting title. Is it up to the usual standard habee?

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not classic King horror. It's more introspective. Parts of it are actually pretty deep.

23. ershruti304 profile image60
    ershruti304posted 12 years ago

I have silence of the lamb by hannibl lector

24. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

The purer papers. Not an easy read, I am reviewing since the last read 3 years ago. This is my third read through.
    The meaning sort of soaks in over time. smile

25. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I have the Bible, What do you do with a Grumpy Kangaroo?, and Thomas and the School Trip.  The Kindle is plugged in and charging on hubby's side.

What's a Kindle? I've heard it mentioned before.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

google amazon kindle, it gives all the details. It is awesome and there's a new version soon to hit the market, Kindle Fire.

It's a wireless reading device.

Oh. I thought it was an American name for something. Cheers.

26. Vicki99 profile image69
    Vicki99posted 12 years ago

The Bible, Josephus, and The Five Love Languages

27. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

The Passage, Little Coffee Shop in Kabul and Room.

28. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

I'm now reading:
    Dissolution - C. J. Sansom;
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson (okay, so I'm a late bloomer when it comes to modern American classics big_smile)
    and a Clive Cussler. 

Just finished:
    If You Ask Me - Betty White's latest (2011)
    and Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay.

29. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 12 years ago

I love to read while in bed and currently I am reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

1. maven101 profile image72
      maven101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bryson's book is a great read...Follow it up with Complexity by Waldrop...

I'm reading The French Lieutenant's Woman by Fowles and Liberal Fascism by Goldberg...

30. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years ago

Angels Don't Play this H.A.A.R.P.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just finished "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley..  Anybody who liked this would like "The Vigin Blue" by the lady who wrote "Girl With The Pearl Earring." Still reading "What the Dog Saw" by Malcom Gladwell. About to start "Fall of the Giants" by Ken Follett.  Listen to it books on tape and want to read the book to make sure I didn't miss a word.  Can't wait for the next book in the trilogy.

31. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 12 years ago

The Scarlet Dawn, Father Hickey

32. Happyboomernurse profile image82
    Happyboomernurseposted 12 years ago

The Twelfth Insight by James Redfield and Grand Illusion: The Untold Story of Rudy Giuliani and 9/11 by Wayne Barrett.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Virgin Blue is by Tracy Chevalier.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love her books.

one of my favorites.

33. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I'm about to start on Harvest Home, by Thomas Tryon. I read it every fall! It's a great book!!

34. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 12 years ago

I'm almost a third of the way through "The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters" by Gordon Dahlquist, which I've enjoyed so far.

35. Dee aka Nonna profile image60
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

Just finished "Invisible Woman" by Anne Strieber; almost finished with "Keep Still" by Eleanor Taylor Bland and about to begin "Free Lunch" by David Cay Johnston

36. **LaNesha** profile image60
    **LaNesha**posted 12 years ago

books on my nightstand would be, Jodi Picoult's" House Rules" and "nine minutes"....and Dale Carnegie "how to win friends and influence people".....dont ask lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)