Do the clocks go back tonight where you are?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Here in Europe clocks go back at 2am on the last Saturday night/Sunday morning in October. Is this worldwide?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most of North America is Sunday, November 6, 2011: 2:00 AM back to 1:00 AM

Except for Cuba. Figures...

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Think America is usually a week behind us...

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you remember the year they experimented with not changing the clocks and we went to school in the dark?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
          Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do - and I remember they also talked about double changes! smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Did they try a year of double changes? My memory is failing. Was it a double change year in the early 70s, or was that a 'no change' experiment.

I just remember it was dark, like night, and our school had huge modern picture windows, and it was weird.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

This is interesting...

Half of Mexico does it one week. The other half a week later.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Any idea why? I'm sure I understood once why the clocks need to change at all, but I've forgotten.

I think people prefer to go to work in the dark rather than come home in the dark. Or is it the other way around...? Also, I think energy conservation issues are tangled up somewhere in there as well.

1. IzzyM profile image87

If I remember correctly, the reason they discontinued the experiment of NOT changing the clocks was before the child mortality rate went up. Children travelling, or walking to school in the dark were getting hit by sleepy/dozy drivers.

That was in Scotland. It might seem like just a tiny dot on the world-wide map, but kids in Scotland were more at risk that kids in London where it gets light an hour earlier.

Or it might have been because the rest of Europe didn't carry out the same experiment at the same time, and British business lost out on trading because their European partners were there earlier.

Then again, most of Europe is at least an hour behind the UK anyway so I fail to see how that worked!

This whole daylight time is weird to me. Here in Spain, being so far south, there are actually less daylight hours in summer than in the UK.

Mariners know better than me. Something to do with being nearer the equator.

1. Aficionada profile image80
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We had something similar happen here, but in reverse.  That is, when the time change took place, so that suddenly the morning hours went from dim sunrise to pitch black, kids were being hit by cars.  We're on the western edge of the zone, so it gets light here a full hour later than it does on the eastern edge.

I have read about another study that showed that in the week after the time change (mainly the one in spring, when we lost an hour of sleep), there are more traffic accidents and heart attacks than at other times of the year.  Except among retirees, who can set their own hours.

3. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

From what I remember, Indiana doesn't change their clocks, they change time zones.  Wonder if anywhere else does that...?

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It used to be so (in Indiana) - no more.  sad

Hawaii and Arizona do not change to Daylight Saving time.  I wish everyone else would take a cue from them.

IzzyM, I understand that one of the American founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin, proposed this kind of change back in the day.  He thought it would save fuel.  We have been duped ever since.

(I meant to start this post with, Don't let me get started.... lol  lol)

When Indiana (my state) transitioned recently from not observing DST to observing it, it provided a perfect opportunity for researchers to see whether old Ben was right.  As it turned out, the change just causes a change in which kind of fuel is used more at the various times of day.

One thing people often forget (politicians, I mean) is that there is a major difference in what time the day becomes light or dark, depending on whether you are located on the eastern or western edge of the time zone.  Or in the middle.

Some people have forgotten that it is possible for businesses, and schools, etc., to have "winter hours" and "summer hours" and not have to change the clocks at all!

1. IzzyM profile image87

This is it! Why does every thing have to be 9 to 5? OK I can understand businesses working that way, but why schools and colleges, or even shops come to that?

They could make their own hours to suit depending on available daylight.

1. Rafini profile image83
          Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, life had to be standardized to the majority.  But I fail to see why, in today's world, more businesses don't operate 24/7 or close to it.  Especially in big cities where the change could reduce rush hour traffic, ya know?  hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87

I used to drive taxis for a living, and rush hour weekdays was 4 - 5, maybe 4 - 6. But on a Friday rush hour started at 2pm.

Why do so many businesses let their workers away early for the weekend? No wonder the economy is so bad if no-one wants to work any more than a 4 and half day week.

1. Rafini profile image83
              Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol, I've heard of that.  it was called summer hours, but I never had a job that let me off early one day per week, every week.  did have a job once where I could leave early, but it was because I had packages to deliver for a grievance committee.

2. SiddSingh profile image60
              SiddSinghposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am no economist, but I remember reading somewhere there is an economic rationale for this. High productivity workers (especially when aided by advanced machinery - as in most of the Western Hemisphere) will over-produce if they work for 5 days or 6 days in a week. That will result into a glut.

Probably that also explains more work days per week in developing economies - at least in India.

4. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, either - they simply don't do it. Very confusing when you are flying through the airport in Phoenix and think you might have missed a flight, lol!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where I am they observe it, but on a different schedule.  Which means all my clocks will automatically set forward a couple of weeks early.  And then do it again next spring.

A pain in the a**.

5. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

In Tenerife where I am, yes, they did!

6. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 12 years ago

Lots of round-the-year sunshine here anyway, so no need to save daylight time!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)