letting a teen experiment

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Maun and Squantoposted 12 years ago

what do you think? is a parent being too strict with their child when they won't allow them to date until they feel like they're emotionally or mentally mature? is a parent being too loose when they let their child date at a young age. how active should parents be in their child's life. is it okay for a young lady to devote her life to a single boy? and how far is too far?

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, no, no it's not ok for a young girl to devote her life to a single boy.  She should have a clear and competent male figure (father, brother, uncle) in her life and a confident and self fulfilled female role model.  Then when she is old enough, she'll pick the right mate.  Boys are not suitable for girls.  Boys can really mess girls up emotionally, mentally.  A girl needs to grow and mature before she meets the dating world.  Boys are still (unfortunately for them) trapped in the prehistoric world of mating at puberty to preserve the species.

1. RoseAsauresRex profile image60
        RoseAsauresRexposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i agree.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A teenager will date regardless of what their parents say - you can't watch them 24-7, they'll find a way to meet up with a boyfriend or girlfriend no matter how strict you are or how strict the rules are.

What you can do, from a very early age, is to teach your child morals, and self respect - teach them that it is not OK for someone to 'abuse' their space if they don't want them to - teach them about relationships, and how there should be respect and trust etc.

The more you talk to them at an early age (of course discussions for a five year old will be totally different for a twelve year old) and reinforce values etc the better...

2. RoseAsauresRex profile image60
    RoseAsauresRexposted 12 years ago

hmmmm let me post a scenario i heard this on the radio from a pastor talk show and i really had to agree with it: you have two neighbors one has a daughter of hmmm lets say 15 and the other neighbor has a son of hmm lets say 17. well the 17 year old goes up to neighbor "A"'s (we'll just call him) daughter and asks her out. of course being a concerned dad neighbor "A" steps in and says no. well the next day neighbor "B" goes up to neighbor "A" and says , "hey pal whats the big idea why wont you let my son go out with your daughter? don't you think youre being a little strict. loosen up." so neighbor "A" thinks about it and says "hey your son is old enough to drive right?" neighbor "B" shrugs and goes , "sure" so then neighbor "A" being the smarty that he is goes " why don't you let your son drive that nice red, shiny mustang of yours?" well neighbor "B" freaks out and starts shouting ," ARE YOU CRAZY THATS MY PRECIOUS CAR HE MIGHT HURT OR DAMAGE IT!" so neighbor "A" goes ," do you get my point? if you cant even trust your son with a car how can i trust your son with my daughter. and how much more precious is my daughter to me than your car. cars can be fixed and replaced but children can not. you freak out when i ask you to let your son drive the car because your worried that he might hurt it, yet you say i need to loosen up and let my daughter hook up with your son when she is obviously of more value than a car, dont you think im worried that she too might get hurt or damaged?"   
    personaly i think that parents should hold onto their children and have a certain control in their dating relationships ecspecially in this sex crazed generation. to many young people base love off of sex and outward appearence when there is more , much more to it than that. no one wants to see their children getting hurt or becomeing teen parents and having to struggle in life. please parents be more involved with your child's life they need you more than  ever even when they may think that they dont.

1. seamist profile image59
      seamistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love that minister's analogy!!! Thank you for sharing it.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Emotionally and mentally mature? You're talking about teen agers. They'd never get to date.

Of course a teen should be allowed to date. With rules firmly adhered to. And you can't force a child to play the field. I'm not sure why you would want to.

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pretty much agree with this. Some of the worst teens I've known had super strict parents. A teenager can never become trustworthy if you don't give them a chance to earn your trust.

4. stylezink profile image73
    stylezinkposted 12 years ago

No teenager whether boy or girl should "devote" themselves to anyone. They are not mature enough and way to young to think about devoting their lives to anyone.

As far as 'dating' goes they're going to do it when they want to regardless of what the parent tells them. So either have it happen and know about, or have it happen behind your back. The only thing you can do is make sure as the parent your child knows what to do in certain situations and the consequences behind them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)