Can men and women ever be 'just friends'!

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PhenomWriterposted 12 years ago

We tried this a lot, in teen age!!  Was it ...?

1. Sneha Sunny profile image86
      Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think yes. I have a lots of male, good friends. And we all are still good friends, nothing more than that. Special feelings doesn't comes for everybody even if he is your good friend. But if he is your best friend then there are more chances that you may become from "best friend" to  his "girl friend"..lol. big_smile

1. TheMagician profile image87
        TheMagicianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also, almost forgot -- I have another REALLY good guy friend (sweetest guy alive) who recently got a  girlfriend whom he cares tons for earlier this year. Thankfully, she's totally comfortable when he's around me alone. I'm glad to know I don't get pinned as one of those girls who you "cant leave your man with" lol She's a really cool chick, too. Very nice.

2. TheMagician profile image87
      TheMagicianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Definitely possible. I'm a girl (18) and most of my friends are guys. I have no interest in them at all other than as friends, too. At first, one of them I WAS interested in, but I realized we were def. better off as friends, so that ended quickly smile

My two best friends are actually men. One I knew my whole life (grew up together, parents were friends) and the other I've known for about 4 years who I play video games with often and do road trips with occasionally. I had a third best guy friend who I considered my "brother", but he sort of turned into a jerk and I haven't spoke to him in months.

Just really depends on the the girls and guys smile

3. cenabcn1 profile image58
      cenabcn1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, BUt........ tongue

4. profile image55
      shell20110309posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i believe that between the boys and girls has true friendship,as you said ,just friends.

5. NiaLee profile image60
      NiaLeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

like that answer because people try to blind themselves a lot. a few are true even with some desire moments...the rest is trying to pretend we don't want each other and in the end, we often need to step away if we don't want more.

2. amuqeet profile image58
    amuqeetposted 12 years ago

i think they can all u need to be is impotent !!!!!!!!!!!

1. amuqeet profile image58
      amuqeetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well seriously i think yes no problamo

3. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 12 years ago

I think its iffy, especially if the man or woman already has a wife/husband.  We can't all be like Jerry and Elaine on Seinfeld smile  I really don't think my husband would appreciate me hanging out with my guy friends, just like I wouldn't want him hanging out with his girl friends, unless we were all in relationships and hanging out as couples.  Do you know what I mean?  There is no way to know someone else's true heart even though he or she may swear to you there is nothing between them, but why tempt it?  laws of attraction are laws of attraction.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I've had numerous male friends, with no problems...well, maybe there was kind of a wee problem with one of them, due to mutual physical attraction. But we never allowed anything to happen.

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 12 years agoin reply to this

and thats just it, isn't it?  mutual attraction is hard to ignore and can develop over time.

5. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

Can men and women ever be 'just friends'!

Yes, so long as they are not sexually attracted to one another. If either finds the other sexually attractive, then no. (I'm friends with my Mom)

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haaaaaaa!!   lol  sorry, but that bit about your mom cracked me up.

I have friends that are guys. They are actually hubby's friends first, but they have become people I care about too. We don't do things together alone, I don't call them with personal problems and vice versa, we don't chat or send texts or anything. I would say sure, we are "just freinds" as long as we never allow ourselves to get into situations where anything more could develop.

6. IJR112 profile image59
    IJR112posted 12 years ago

If there's any sexual attraction, then I really don't believe it's possible.  Something will come up eventually where they have to decide to date or to stop being friends.  Just based on my experience.

7. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

In my personal experience I'd have to say no, unless they are gay. My best friend for many years was gay.  He was the brother I never had and his suicide devastated me.  Even though it was a long time ago, I still feel the loss of him profoundly.  I have male acquaintances certainly, but I do not think of those men as “friends” and those relationships are not at the same depth as are the ones shared with my girlfriends.

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I've tried but it just doesn't work out because of the physical attraction part-men always think they have a shot if you remain on friendly terms.

that really is true and has been a part of my experience.  even the married ones seem to think there could be something more.  and I'm talking men and women here.

2. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean we don't?  smile

9. hubs123 profile image56
    hubs123posted 12 years ago

yes i think they should be but you need to understand relations smile

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Yes. Duh.

Seriously, I think anyone with no opposite sex friends they aren't also trying to bonk has... issues.

well, most of us DO have issues wink

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but normally a bunch of idiosyncratic issues -- not just nymphomania (and whatever the male equivalent is).

11. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

In my own experiences, I have had & still have several male "friends."  I've not found it difficult at all to sustain a strictly platonic relationship with these men, without a single thought of it ever becoming MORE than a "friendship."  However, in the interest of genuine honesty, I do know that all of these men have not found it as naturally and easily as I have.  At some point, my male friends have, in one way or another, expressed a hope?, desire? suggestion? ....that our relationship become one of intamacy and exclusivity.  Since I could not and would not deceive a good friend, it became necessary to explain respectfully and gently that I am/was not in the same place at that time. While I was comfortable with this exchange of "feelings," it seems my male friends began to back away...(disappoinment? embarrassment? anger?) This makes me sad, but I have come to realize that in the vast majority of male-female "friendships," this scenario is quite common.  Perhaps the next question to pose would be directed to MEN.....to suggest WHY this is?  I think the responses would be most interesting and educational!

12. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Try this from a bisexual standpoint smile Seriously, if I worried about the possibility of being attracted to one of my friends, I wouldn't have friends.

That being said, my best friend (besides my husband) is an ex-boyfriend.  As a matter of fact, the only ex that I'm not friends with is the ex-husband.  There are times there is a physical attraction to one of my friends, but so what?  I don't have to have sex with every person I am attracted to.

13. formosangirl profile image79
    formosangirlposted 12 years ago

Yes. I have a lot of male friends.

14. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I'd certainly say that they can. Not every relationship you have with someone you can 'potentially' be attracted to has to be sexual in nature. If that was the case we'd live in a very strange world, haha.

we DO live in a strange world, haven't you noticed???

15. passthejelly profile image70
    passthejellyposted 12 years ago

NO. Women and men cannot be friends because in most cases women do not view male friends as friends rather door mats or napkins that they can use until they are useless to them and then they throw them away. "Friend" is just another word for sucker that they can use to help me with tasks their boyfriend does not want to help them do. There is always a sexual content between men and women and until that component, therefor men and women cannot truly be friends. Of course the word "Friend" is subjective but not true friends...

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Even if the opposite sexed people are gay? lol

2. sasanqua profile image76
      sasanquaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yikes...did someone hurt you by any chance?

16. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Sure. Why not.

17. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Yes….but rarely for a lifetime. These types of friendships become more distant when one or both people find a significant other, love, or marriage.

Not many women would (want) their man texting, calling, and spending time with his “female friends” just as there are not many guys who (want) their women hanging out a lot with her “male friends”. Given the choice between staying close to a “platonic friend” or having a “happy loving relationship/marriage”… (most people) would make more time for their significant other.

18. ikechiawazie profile image61
    ikechiawazieposted 12 years ago

Yes but it takes a lot of responsibility and much of integrity from both parties

19. msshandriaball profile image75
    msshandriaballposted 12 years ago

It is easier to be "just friends" with someone when you get older.

20. sasanqua profile image76
    sasanquaposted 12 years ago

Yes, it's possible but it can become complicated. My best friend also happens to be my ex! It can be really difficult to explain this to our respective partners, and it can be difficult for them to accept our relationship. But we make it work smile

21. lgallman profile image60
    lgallmanposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, I do not believe it is possible as I have tried it for many years with no success. The respective partners are unable to understand the closeness of the friendship; and ultimately, feel resentment that eventually causes an ultimatum. Sadly, the friend will be ousted in most cases. I know this for fact, as I have been the one ousted. Although, I have lost several good friends, the memories remain; and I hope possibly we will have the chance to make new memories again one day.

22. cheatlierepeat profile image82
    cheatlierepeatposted 12 years ago

I think so, actually I know so. I have male friends that have only ever been "friends". I think friendships with members of the opposite sex can be so rewarding. I love my guy friends (like a brother).

23. MoiraCrochets profile image87
    MoiraCrochetsposted 12 years ago

If we are talking about teenagers here, boys and girls can't be just friends. Somewhere along the way hormones will catch up to destroy the friendship.
    But for adults it's very possible to be just friends. We have more control and we know our boundaries.

24. MoiraCrochets profile image87
    MoiraCrochetsposted 12 years ago

If we are talking about teenagers here, boys and girls can't be just friends. Somewhere along the way hormones will catch up to destroy the friendship.
    But for adults it's very possible to be just friends. We have more control and we know our boundaries.

1. Leaderofmany profile image61
      Leaderofmanyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that both parties have to be mature enough to know when to walk away when the friendship is in jeopardy because one wants one more than the other. I also believe that it is possible to be friends without the benefits.

25. Vannessa Abrahms profile image57
    Vannessa Abrahmsposted 12 years ago

Based on experience, I'd say Yes. I have a lot of guy friends. I think a guy and a girl can continue being "just friends" for as long as there will be a common ground between them and one is not interested in the other romantically. hahaha.

26. Yura Cho profile image53
    Yura Choposted 12 years ago

I think men and women can be friends. Even though men and women are physically different, we are all humans. And I think men and women can understand each other. From my experience, I have some best friends who are guys, we talk about our daily life and problems. But they understand me very well. Also, I saw men and women can get along as a married couple. Then, why not as best friends?

27. vintageglamour profile image59
    vintageglamourposted 12 years ago

i think so, if the guy is in a relationship. I try and be friends with single guys and it's a little bit tricky.

For me I personally prefer if the guy is in a relationship, we can then hang out like buddies.

28. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 12 years ago

Absolutely! Some of my best friends are male. They are like brothers to me and I treasure the friendships. Now, having said that...I think it depends on the people. What works well for some, may not work at all for another. Good question!

1. NiaLee profile image60
      NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

ok it is possible but not with every body...some pretend to come closer, some want to be here to pick up when the couple is in trouble, some don't even know they are attracted...and some are just brothers and sisters from other parents!
      I have experienced and for most of them, they ran away or disappeared when there was no way to get me, two are still waiting but thousands of kilometers away and I am very clear so we don't communicate that much no more.
      It actually disgusted me of some friends... i understand they can want me, but when they pull strings in your back to stop other people you really like to come closer... you have to drop it!
      For the stress it puts on some people couples and families, I am better off!
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5944267.jpg

2. pharuk temmy t profile image40
      pharuk temmy tposted 12 years ago

Man and woman being friends?I will say YES and NO.YES because it depends on both of them what they have chosen to become, don't try to decieve yourself going into friendship with someone who is excatly the right person for you when it comes to romance relationship because you would end up falling for them.It depends on the opposite sex which they want as they know best which they want.No in the sense that feelings can be funny sometimes when you leave yourself to it, leaving yourself to your feelings to control you is when you are not self determined,if you are the type that give up easily.If you can't control yourself then you will end up going beyond friendship when you allow yourself be carried away.

3. mmcgiver profile image61
      mmcgiverposted 12 years ago

honesty,jealousy,trust,love,friendship,family,all these words just make me say no.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)