Amazon Program FAQ - updated

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (84 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Thank you for your patience, everyone.

Marina has updated the FAQ entry on the Amazon Program. Please note that some of the existing sub-entries were updated, and some additional sub-entries were added.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#amazon-signup

If you have any unresolved questions, please feel free to add them in this thread.

1. chicagoguy profile image63
      chicagoguyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amason associates program-they don't allow in Illinois !! is that correct

1. GiftedGrandma profile image60
        GiftedGrandmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It isn't allowed in NC either, Amazon closed mine. Unless that has changed in the past year.

1. cclitgirl profile image92
          cclitgirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just emailed them and they said that NC has some illegal tax legsilation and unti it is rescinded, amazon won't go to NC. :'(

2. mediawizard profile image59
        mediawizardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, amazon is probably correct.  But I do know that it's not allowed in N. Carolina.

1. nyfamily5 profile image60
          nyfamily5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

NC passed what they call is the Nexxus Law that requires online sales to be charged sales tax for the purchase.  There are a few other states that have passed similiar laws as well.  I live in NC and have been dropped by Amazon and quite a few others.

Any idea if there's a way around this?  For now, I definitely put more "Ebay" capsules in my hubs than "Amazon" capsules.  Grr

1. nyfamily5 profile image60
              nyfamily5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No way around it legally unless you incorporate in another state such as Delaware.  I also use Squidoo, who have an Amazon program through them such as the one HP is setting up.

2. HikeGuy profile image70
      HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update. I'd like to see an explanation for why the HP Amazon program is mandatory. Squidoo offers the option of using their Amazon program or my own Amazon account, so it's obviously possible to set it up that way.

As I understand the new system, I'd lose access to fully detailed sales data, be under a system that can use any formula to determine my earnings -- a system that is no longer transparent -- and, the terms state that HP can change the terms at any time and I have no recourse. Why would I go there? I'm so curious as to the thinking behind this.

People who are so confidently looking forward to 8.5 percent payouts under HP's mandatory Amazon program might want to read the new TOS and HP Amazon program details with great care.

I used to think so well of HP. Why this new direction of obscuring the financial aspects?

1. Browneesorchids profile image63
        Browneesorchidsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not even sure what to do with the GoogleAds, eventhough I would like to learn how to set-up my accnt to make money. There is not clear instructions, explanations, examples, or confirmation of acquiring this incentive. I clicked on the icon to set-up for it but no luck inknowing if I did it correct and if it's active. I did however try and for some reason it says pending verification or something close to that.

1. capricornrising profile image59
          capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe this is also my situation. I can't tell whether my application is still being considered - it's been a couple of weeks, and my last alert, which I got when I first applied, indicated that it would be "2-3 days," which was quite a while ago.

2. Sinea Pies profile image63
        Sinea Piesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am excited about the possibilities of higher payouts and more quickly. Where can I sign up now? I am on both programs.

3. capricornrising profile image59

I'm one of those who is ineligible for the Amazon program because I live in North Carolina 
        Is there any way around this?

1. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can join the HP Amazon program as you're not an affiliate of Amazon through this program - but are within the HP program...

Trust me, SimeyC, I tried joining through HP. I'm blocked because "residents of North Carolina are not eligible, ya da, ya da, etc."

1. wilderness profile image94
              wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You misunderstand.  Once the HP earnings program includes amazon, which it does not yet, then you can earn through amazon. 

Once that program goes completely into effect, none of us will be an affiliate of amazon except through other, external, sites. 

Of course, current affiliates will keep their standing with Amazon, unless they eventually kill our affiliation through lack of activity.  All the activity will be through HP, not our individual affiliations.

Oh I see - there's a change coming. If indeed I can participate, this would be very good news. Thanks all!

2. cclitgirl profile image92

Capricorn - I live in NC, too.  It's maddening that we can't do the Amazon affiliate program.  I wonder if there's some petition we could sign or something.  :\

oh wait, I just saw what 'wilderness' said.  Thanks, wilderness!  That's good news.

3. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Just want to point out the line "Mandatory transition is not required at this time." - superb - while I am switching this is going to really benefit some people - thanks for listening to the community.

I think you've basically covered most of the concerns I've seen - excellent FAQ!

4. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I look forward to the switch personally. Great FAQ section on the topic. I don't recall seeing a start date, how soon will it be before we can actually make the change to the combo-program Jason? cool
      Cheers~
      K9

Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We're still working with Amazon on that. Believe me, we want to get interested participants access as soon as possible! smile All I can say now is "soon"

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
          K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good enough my friend, thanks! smile

2. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And all we can say is "Not soon enough!"

In a nice,patient, understanding way, of course.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm surely going to join and am interested. But, I've got 0 Amazon sales sad
          Will be writing lots more in Jan so hopefully then will get some

4. Sinea Pies profile image63

Soon is good. Will their be something in the "earnings" section to tell us that we can start?

1. Pcunix profile image91

Soon would be good..

Sheesh - premature announciation sure has caused plenty of storm and drang..

2. Jason Menayan profile image61

We will announce it via the blog, the newsletter, the forum, and likely an announcement in your My Account page.

Sorry for the delay - when you're working with another partner, things can work quite a bit slower than if you're doing them all by yourself. smile

5. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

This sounds like another good reason to be writing on HubPages!  Thanks guys!  smile

1. Sinea Pies profile image63

I agree!

2. K9keystrokes profile image85
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

6. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

This sounds great. Sure, it'll be sad to not be able to use my HP-driven sales toward my personal amazon's referral count (thus making it harder to move up commission rates), however getting the 8% commission rate will well compensate for it.

It gives me an incentive to make more amazon hubs - quality ones, of course.

Now if only there was a way for me to close down my 2 other accounts and have their hubs transferred to this one so I wouldn't have to worry about reaching 3 payouts (hey, I wanted to separate by research style, but that was before HP had its own revenue program. Now I'd rather have one big account...)

7. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I'm really looking forward to the Amazon Program.  I was so close to hitting 7.5% referral fee in November, but this month, back to 4%... Waaah! not fair! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/sad-016.gif

Thanks for the good news, Jason.

8. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I'm more interested in how things work out in practice but this is a clearer FAQ and there were no real surprises.

Perhaps you should have mentioned that it is possible to enter the Hubpages earning program and the amazon program without having an adsense account. It was a source of confusion before.

Yes, that's true. The Earnings Program and the Amazon Program do not require an active AdSense account; the Ad Program and eBay Program do.

9. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

How long does the cookie last on the HP Amazon program?  Or is everything the same as the Amazon Affiliate rules and conditions we have now?

The same, no changes.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
          Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's good news. HP has done a great job negotiating with Amazon to provide the best possible solution. I know it's not easy as there are so many different situations people have that needed to be considered. You're efforts are appreciated.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason, that's good to know!

10. mel22 profile image61
      mel22posted 12 years ago

Good question !

11. ThoughtsWriter profile image66
      ThoughtsWriterposted 12 years ago

It looks promising but what benefit is there for hubbers whom paypal is nt accepted in there countries.

12. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 12 years ago

Yay - no forced migration at a specific will allow for making payout before we join! big_smile

13. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

What, it's not ready yet?

Don't make me fly out there!  Neither of us wants that scene or the inevitable lawsuits.

14. profile image56
      Pou Povposted 12 years ago

I am now a new in this Hubpages and hope every one tells me how to do with amazon. Thank you!

15. stephhicks68 profile image86
      stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

I'm having problems figuring out how/where to make a switch. I have both HubPages Ads and an active Amazon affiliate code.  When I go to settings, I get a page that asks me if I have an active affiliate tracking ID and asks me to enter it.

What switch do I make, and where?

thanks

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
        wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's live and ready to go yet, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
          theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're right. It is not yet available.

2. Sinea Pies profile image63

I don't even get anything asking for me to enter an ID yet.

As we keep saying, it's not ready yet.

The rest of us are anxious too :-)

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

G'Day Steph,

HubPages is going to advise when we do the 'roll-over' and cease using our own Amazon affiliates and start using the HP provided ones on the site.

16. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Still no possibility of allowing us to tie our separate HP accounts together. Why would that be - when Amazon already offers that to its affiliates?

17. nanospeck profile image59
      nanospeckposted 12 years ago

Does HP use the 40-60 commision sharing rule in this amazon capsules also? Will our total revenue be split between us and hp?

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no.  You will share impressions 60/40 with HP.  All income from your 60% of the impressions is yours - you don't split the actual commission.

18. rochelj profile image60
      rocheljposted 12 years ago

It sounds wonderful that we will get a higher commission.

Will they announce when the option is available?

Just make sure you are following this forum thread.  Or you could also check your "Account -> Earnings -> Settings" tab every day. You'll know it's available when Amazon appears under the "HubPages Earnings Program Settings."

19. rochelj profile image60

Thanks!

I would recommend that they should announce when the option is available, so that all hubbers will know.

rochelj, That is what the "Official HubPages Announcements" forum is for.  It's up to you to keep an eye on that.

If you specified in your email settings to allow HP to contact you, then you should also get the newsletter.

1. rochelj profile image60
          rocheljposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glenn Stok, thanks for replying.
          yes, I am recommending that when the option is available,
          they should announce it in the "Official HubPages Announcements" forum
          so that all will know.
          It's a good idea to put it in the newsletter as well.
          Just a friendly reminder.

20. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years ago

Read, reviewed, understood. Thanks for the information. smile

21. prairieprincess profile image91
      prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

Jason, I do have a question. Has there been any talk of getting other Amazon's in on this deal, as well? By that, I mean Amazon.ca and the U.K. Amazon. I know other sites have this capability, so that the buyer is directed to the domain in the country where they live. This would increase Amazon sales considerably for both HP and the writers.

1. prairieprincess profile image91
        prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just wanted to ask again about the ability to use Amazon from other countries. Has this been considered, at all?

We are still working out details with Amazon; unfortunately, we don't have anything else to share yet.

1. prairieprincess profile image91
            prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the reply!

22. alphagirl profile image76
      alphagirlposted 12 years ago

I use the amazon capsules. But I do not get how we can use the amazon associates program. I don't have a web business. It the amazon associates program more for that type of hubber.?

23. rochelj profile image60

What's happening with the Amazon transition? Anything new?

1. Sinea Pies profile image63

Mine appears to be the same. I'd love an update, as well, if anyone knows something more.

24. HikeGuy profile image70
      HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

Jason -- I still have the same questions I posted four weeks ago.

I've stopped publishing on HP, and am checking back to see if making the HP Amazon program mandatory is being reconsidered. Because of the new  HP TOS and the loss of financial transparency, I don't expect HP to be part of my plans for 2012.

It was an adventure.

Happy New Year, all.

25. Tricia1000 profile image64
      Tricia1000posted 12 years ago

I already have an Amazon Affiliated Program and want to switch to the Amazon Programm under HubPages.  In my earnings settings there is no option to set up the new configuration.  I am not sure if one can already set up the new configuration.  I read the announcements and all the posts carefully, but cannot figure out how to switch.

26. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

I am surprised that we haven't at least gotten some sort of update about the Amazon issue.  I am curious as to when it will take effect.  December has come and gone, and still no news.  It would have been nice to have that before the end of the Christmas shopping season...

Jason did leave an update in this forum.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
          Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but that was weeks ago.

Yeah, but try to imagine it from his desk.   Amazon may not be getting back to him or if they are, he may be still trying to negotiate issues that might take some of the sting out of this for those who can be negatively affected.

It would be silly for him to say anything either way.  If they are actively negotiating, he might even tick Amazon off if he said "We're trying to get..".  If he's waiting for Amazon to drop a shoe, what good does it do to tell us that he is frustrated himself?

We'll know what we will know when we know it.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98

I realize that, but just like Jason said... "when you're working with another partner, things can work quite a bit slower than if you're doing them all by yourself."

I can imagine the nightmare HP must be having trying to negotiate all the fine details with Amazon, trying to appease all Hubbers with the issues brought up in this Forum.

From my point of view, I see why this is so slow in getting done. Hubbers who don't use Amazon outside of HP and are not in the top tier, will be happy to have it under HP and share the larger 8.5% commission. But there is a real issue for those who use Amazon on other websites and are in the 8.5% tier for all their combined traffic. When those people lose the additional traffic from HP, because it will be separate, their other commission may drop well below 8.5%. I see that this is a problem and I would not be surprised if HP might be trying to work out a solution with Amazon to account for this.

I may be stepping beyond my limits by having said this, but please note that this is only my own guess. I have no actual knowledge of what really is going on.

I understand your point, but at the very least a little post saying something like, "We are still working out the details, and we have not forgotten about you.  Please be patient, and we will keep you updated."  That wouldn't be too hard.  A couple weeks is a long time to be kept in the dark without even a word.

Believe me, we haven't forgotten, but we haven't wanted to litter the forums with "no news yet." Please understand that we continue to work on this from our end, and we will notify the community once things are ready to move forward.

I can understand that.  Thank you for the update!!!  I guess I am just a little impatient.  Sorry!!!  :-(

27. BWD316 profile image80
      BWD316posted 12 years ago

i have also been looking for the new Amazon program, i know it might not be good for some people but living in a State (CT) where Amazon has pulled out due to taxes on online sales i believe Amazon as a part of Hubpages earnings program would be great, at least i would get the chance to earn under Amazon like i do with eBay now! It's suppose to come out this month right?

28. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Many a slip between the cup and the lip.

I would be happy enough if things stayed as they are.

29. Sinea Pies profile image63
      Sinea Piesposted 12 years ago

How soon now? What will we see to know that the transition to the new format has taken place?

30. LoriSoard profile image65
      LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

Interesting. Sounds like there are quite a few states that do this.

31. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

Thanks Jason - Appreciate that setting up a program like this is far from 'a piece of cake'!

Is that eating a piece of cake or making a cake to get a piece from?

I know that the latter is tricky, but I can do the former easily.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to these changes but have all the patience in the world - for Amazon or that cake.

32. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Despite the difficulty in getting amazon sales for some, I think the amazon program here is under rated.

At one point I'd become so frustrated that I removed all of my amazon capsules - stupid move on my part.

Since the time that I became convinced that amazon was well worth my efforts - my personal amazon revenues have done nothing but increase.

Today, my Mom placed yet more orders for stuffs due to me giving her amazon gift cards.

Amazon is well worth your time, and even if you are NOT a sales type of writer.

33. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the update, Jason.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)