Subdomain switch revisited

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (111 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I was getting a bit discouraged with HubPages post-panda.   Things were not looking good and there were defections and accusations and.. well, everyone that was here then remembers.

During that time I was coasting along earning a couple of dimes or so daily.   I don't remember what it was pre-panda - it wasn't great money, but it was more than that.

That's certainly not enough to care about and I stopped putting up new hubs.  I wasn't ready to quit, but it sure was discouraging.

Then sometime in late July or early August the subdomain switch happened.  I didn't pay much attention, honestly.

On September 14th, I posted a new hub.  That was the first Hub I had created since early April.   

I checked earnings then, just from idle curiosity.  To my surprise, since late August the daily figure had been climbing steadily.  Oh, it still wasn't worth paying any attention to, but it had doubled and redoubled.  Interesting..

Throughout September, the daily take kept creeping up.  On October 1st, I realized that this was a definite trend, so I began regular hubbing again.

Since then, the earnings continue upward.  They have hit as much as twenty times what a typical day was before the switch.  That's enough money to get my attention at least.  It's almost as much as I make at my main site, which has 15-20 times the daily traffic!

So, what's to be said about all this?  I'd say that it's that the subdomain switch worked.  I'd say it is working great and I am re-energized about hubbing.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yay smile
      I wasn't there then smile

2. Ms Chievous profile image65
      Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am Happy you and others are doing well.  My experience has been the opposite!

Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Opposite as in you were doing better post-panda than you are now or opposite in that you were doing well pre-panda and have not recovered to that level?

1. Ms Chievous profile image65
          Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was doing better post panda.  I have had a few days with surges, but nothing after that.

3. Flavie Lolol profile image63
      Flavie Lololposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am happy you listened and did not leave. There was that one particular day when things were elephant to you and several posts were anti-Pcunix on a certain thread here about what you believed was unorthodox links building … and you had prepared your profile to leave … and messages had to be sent to cool you down. Do you remember?

I'm still against crap link building, but with the sub-domain switch I only care about it in an academic sense. 

I simply have no respect for people who game search engines.  That's my opinion, and nothing will ever change it.  I may as well complain about beach sand being picked up by the tide for all that opinion matters :-)

4. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix

A breathe of fresh air. Nice to come to a thread like this. Im tired of all the Hub bashing.

Things are looking brighter around here. ..  and I applaud you for your honestly and always standing up for what you knew and felt to be true.

You were obviously right about many things. Even better is how you hung in there. . and stayed here!

I hope it continues to get brighter.

If not, well, I'll be sad.  But I like Hubbing here, so unless my brain gives out, I'll be here for the foreseeable future.

5. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

20x more - wow, that's impressive.  I was a little discouraged after the panda thing and all the negativity in the forums.  I just left my hubs here and went off to try blogging for a while.  My traffic and earnings are slowly increasing - this is my highest HP ad month yet & I'm a few dollars off another HP payout with a modest number of hubs (got first payout a few months ago).

Twenty times twenty cents :-)

2. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Pcunix

I almost duplicated your behaviour accidentally!

?

I don't understand.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"That's certainly not enough to care about and I stopped putting up new hubs.  I wasn't ready to quit, but it sure was discouraging.

Then sometime in late July or early August the subdomain switch happened.  I didn't pay much attention, honestly."

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I don't think you're alone here, PC.  I've watched my traffic rise by about a factor of 8, and earnings by even more.

Part of it is certainly the subdomains, but HP has done a terrific job with marketing the ads as well. My thanks to the HP team for this effort.

4. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 12 years ago

well, i used to make literally a penny a day and now i'm at about 5 pennies a day so i guess that's a 5xmultiplier in earnings also... lol... ready to retire here real soon!

5. Pcunix profile image92

And btw: the CPM is very, very good.  We aren't allowed to say what it is, but it blows away anything I have EVER seen in 8 years of running Adsense at my business site.

6. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Congratulations, Pcunix!  I'm happy for you.  The subdomain switch has also been incredibly generous to me.  Tremendous increase in traffic (10X) has boosted my earnings. Here's to more success here on Hubpages... Cheers!
    http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Drinks/drinking-43.gif

7. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Just the opposite for me too! My earnings are still around 1/10 of what they were before August 10 with little or no change since then. Depressing as heck for me!  But then, I am one of the singled out "awkward writers" so what do I expect? smile

"awkward writers"?  Where does that come from???

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul E said that mine and Izzy's hubs were "awkward" when read aloud and this caused our hubs to be penalized by Google resulting in our huge traffic losses and earnings.  No kidding!  smile

When was that?  Do you have a link?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
            Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

SSSeeeehhhh PC... He's Trying to Forget.. the poor guy was so Traumatized that his snake coiled.. sad

See?  Deeply Scarred by what was a highly incontinent and unprofessional blurb from above! sad

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

He wrote this in the forums and on a hub where he used our hubs as an example,  shortly after Aug. 10.  Too much trouble to look it up and no use anyway.  smile

Well, if your writing is "awkward", I can't imagine what adjective would be used to describe mine :-)

Thanks, Pcunix...I think!  lol  I sorta wish it was the case as at least I would know what to work on.  Nothing else I've tried has worked including removing RSS capsules and lowering the amount of amazon product on the page, even though I was well below the suggested number suggested.

I lost almost all of my previously great Google search traffic and I did almost no backlinking other than the instant posting on FB and Twitter.  I went from my best month ever to my almost nothing overnight.  I hope you can read this! lol

2. Pcunix profile image92

I guess it was this?

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/W … e-Products

I don't see you there, though..

Well Perhaps It was Edited Out... after it was realized that incontinence is best kept out of front line reporting! big_smile

Not sure if this was the hub or not as it could have been edited.  Izzy and I agreed for our accounts to be used as examples by Paul which resulted in our work being considered "awkwardly written" by his team of "listeners" when they were read aloud.  Perhaps I just don't handle this type of criticism well and am living in denial.  If so, maybe I need to find another hobby!smile

Don't Beat Yourself Up Buddy... Just another 12 months to the Best Party ever! big_smile

You are so right, PD! (by the way, I couldn't find a tin foil hat in your size--all too small)  lol

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
                  Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, Paul did not call you or anyone else an "awkward writer." You know I'm familiar with your writing, having read your stuff in the Forums, for quite some time now. You are obviously a talented writer, as are many others who "plunged." That makes one wonder why a talented writer would write something like this:

The rooftop air conditioners used on motorhomes are made to give many years of dependable cooling efficiency. But in order for the AC to operate dependably each season, it is necessary to keep the rooftop AC unit on your motorhome clean and properly maintained.

Occasionally the motorhome rooftop AC needs repairing and this article will assist you in knowing which parts of your RV AC to replace or service.These repair and maintenance tips are very simple to follow, even for those with less than good hands-on experience.

If you are unfamiliar with how a motorhome air conditioning system works, this article will help you understand which parts of the motorhome rooftop air conditioner unit to check, service, and repair.

As one of the "listeners," I can tell you that that sounds awkward. Specifically, it sounds keyword-stuffed. Why would a talented writer keyword-stuff their writing? Maybe because they listened to the advice of someone who told them the key to getting better rankings is to repeat certain keywords over and over again? Probably. I think it's lousy advice.

If you are a talented writer, and you (and others) are, I would probably abandon the advice that ends up degrading the readability of your writing. Readers can tell the difference, and, despite what many "SEO experts" will tell you, Google can, too.

1. relache profile image72
                    relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll second everything Jason just said and I wasn't one of the listeners.

You are correct on this hub Jason, as I missed it while going back through my hubs to remove excess keywords.  I was indeed told by certain persons to use lots of keywords when I first began writing here and never felt comfortable about it. I will edit this one and check for more I may have missed.  I have read many such hubs with much worse stuffing than mine and they were not affected as I was.

It is difficult not to use the same words over again in a technical article such as the one you referrenced because there are not many words to use in place of A/C or air conditioner, so i don't know what the answer to this problem is.  I seriously doubt many of the "listeners" nor "readers" would understand the hub unless they were familiar with how an A/C operates.

But at any rate, very few of my articles were written in this manner and Google responded that my account did not have a manual penalty placed on it.  So either you or they are wrong as to why my account was suddenly downgraded.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the general trend to find out what us plungers were doing "wrong", rather than to work out why traffic was going so dang crazy up-and-down alienated more than a few of us.

If that was not Hubstaff's intended message (a.k.a. you suffer because you suck), well... I guess a lot of us have thin skin.  I haven't seen any official attempt at an explanation other than bad traffic from bad content. 

And I really feel there is more to it than that. I have plunged surged and semi-plunged again with the same content.  Do those with a broader view, i.e. Hubstaff, have any idea what is going on and why? That is, what causes these ups and downs? I really doubt it is just keyword density alone....

Any analysis of this across all hubs, not just isolated examples, would really be helpful. We can look after our own specifics, what we need to know more about is the macro-trend.  Which factors predict a plunge, empirically speaking...? Any data based info?

3. wordscribe43 profile image91
                wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/W … e-Products

I found that interesting.  I have always written in the first person and (when applicable) from personal experience, with the only exception being a few parody pieces.

I had the impression from many pieces of SEO crap I had read that I was "doing it wrong" and indeed even HP scared me a bit with their admonitions against "purely personal content".

I ignored that, figuring it wasn't "purely" personal and went ahead writing the only way I know how: with an extra big spoonful of me in every hub.

1. profile image0

same here.  Most of my hubs have a big dose of personal stuff, but the outcome is, I hope to educate and/or entertain (I'm not much into selling stuff).

2. profile image0

a few months ago, you were doing extremely well with adsense though?

Yes, I was extremely pleased with the results until Aug 10 when my entire account plunged overnight.  I was making Adsense payout around the first week of the month but now am lucky to make it in 3 months or so.  My junk fell in my most lucrative time of the year, unfortunately.  smile

8. Pcunix profile image92

I went back and checked Adsense from HP pre-panda.  I am yet to reach the very best days I had with that, but it's getting close and, as I said, the CPM is far better.

I suppose I should experiment with shutting HP ads off for a few days, but really, I don't see the point.

9. Garrett Mickley profile image77
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

My traffic has only been increasing, and my cpm is the best I've ever seen. Im really happy with hubpages right now. I think they've done a great job. I just hope they're benefiting so that they can keep up the good work and I can continue growing with them.

10. Doc Snow profile image89
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

I'm doing noticeably better as well.  The earnings picture for me is complicated by the fact that I activated HPAds for September.  I'm making 5-7 times more as a result of that change (though that's still not much.) :-(

But I have seen a steady rise in page views; September eclipsed the previous record (set in February) by a bit, and October bumped that up again; this month is comfortably higher again--though I had some good luck with linking that likely won't recur in December.  (My views in the last couple of years have tended to sag a bit during the holidays, so I'd guess I'll see that again this year.  If not, that would be a strong indicator that the post-Panda rise continues to drive views.)

11. dungeonraider profile image85
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

Congratulations, Pcunix.  The subdomain setup here caught my eye and was one of the reason I decided to give HP a look.  Like others I've kinda been doing a comparison to blogger and I see many similarities.  But the traffic trends cause me to believe that the same material on blogger will probably be outperformed by my material on HP (over a two year span).  Which is surprising.

12. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

HP deserved everything they got hit with by Panda. The site was full of garbage.

Thanks to the garbage I was slapped too.  Not saying I'm not garbage but there are levels in this game.  I'm above level 1. A lot of HP wasn't.

Subdomains meant a chance to be reassessed.

It seems to have worked.  Now my garbage ranks the same as anyone else's.

As for being grateful though.  It's tempered by missing out on several months traffic because when the whole site was assessed Google said "ew, what the hell is this?"

13. Janet21 profile image79
    Janet21posted 12 years ago

@Randy: I guess I must be an awkward writer as well since my traffic/earnings also tanked on Aug 10th with no signs of recovery.  However, Google has been loving my "awkward writing" over on Squidoo and Wizzley.   Go figure. wink

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My squidoo has sucked for years but im doing great over here. Who knows why.

That's the problem, Janet.  Until Aug. 10 none of the previous panda slaps affected me at all as I don't backlink or load my hubs down with sales products.  I also don't have many links leading elsewhere on my hubs.  My links were almost all organic and I received much praise on the "awkward" hubs from those who could understand the technical content.  I've helped many RV owners solve numerous problems as you can tell by the numerous comments and questions on many of these hubs.

Apparently they are good enough to be scraped, though!  lol

14. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I'm kind of in a weird boat when it comes to Panda. When I started 2011, I had like 30-50 hubs. Then, through January-April I published a monumental amount of hubs.

Because of this, when Panda hit my hubs were just getting kind of that nice ripe age in the search engines. So, I saw no change in traffic at all. That is to say, I didn't see an increase because of all my new hubs, but I also didn't see a decrease in overall traffic because of the new hubs. Had Panda not happened, I would have likely seen an increase in traffic at that time.

Panda was a big bummer, though, after all the work I put into all the new hubs, and I was actually to a point where I was considering moving my stuff off of HP. I increased the quality of almost all my hubs, removed excess Amazon links, etc, and still no traffic increase.

However, when the subdomain switch happened, my traffic more than doubled. It was definitely a motivator to get more hubs out!

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glad you stuck around!

15. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

My earnings have tripled since whatever they did. I am far too lazy to pay attention to the details of that why it works or how, but I can do enough math to know that I can almost fully support my drinking habits purely from what I make here now. THAT is a statistic which pleases me.

Two cents a week would support my drinking habits.. and my wife's.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on this one Shades, let's pool our resources and go have a party smile

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you guys! My earnings are better than they've ever been. I'm an internet and marketing moron, but I think it's def because of the sub-domain switch. Like Shades, I haven't investigated the why's. I'm just enjoying the ride - at least, for now. Since Aug. 23, my earnings have done nothing but go up, up, and up.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOOOHAAA, PARTAY!

Well, don't think I don't appreciate it, because I do. Your lack of consumption does not increase demand for booze, keeping the price for me that much lower.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Habee is in as well, party getting bigger big_smile

16. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

All kidding aside, I was one of the August 10th plungers.  It was a hardcore plunge, too.  Afterwards, I surged and plunged again in sporadic cycles.  Since 10/30 my traffic has remained at an all time high, 5 or 6 times what it's ever been.  I'm hoping the roller coaster has ended, I do feel encouraged since it's been a month now with no signs of another plunge. 

As a side note, I did go clean up my hubs.  I even got rid of a few I feared were bringing down my entire subdomain.  It was clearly a guessing game, but I went on pure instinct and I'm assuming I was right.  I also got rid of a ton of Amazon products...

I am sorry for all the people who haven't seen the light of day, however.  sad

I've done much the same without any results and no spikes since the initial plunge.  Nothing seems to affect my traffic at this point.  Others say their accounts spiked several times too, but I have not experienced this with mine.  I have fallen and cannot get up!  smile

1. Rising Caren profile image77
        Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you're just not picking the right keywords. Bad keywords pre-panda stayed bad keywords post-panda.

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
          wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

But that doesn't explain his plunge... he was doing fine before with the same keywords.

IDK, Randy.  I can't begin to imagine the frustration.  I have no way of verifying if what I did was the reason for my traffic surge, or if it was just some funny coincidence.  It sometimes seems like luck of the draw, actually.  All I can address is what happened in my particular case.

1. Rising Caren profile image77
            Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure it does. Bad keywords always stay bad, but good keywords don't always stay good. Maybe after panda, writers started trying out different keywords and unfortunately the competition for the "good" keywords he had before increased because of it.

Not saying that's what happened, but it's a possibility. Hence why the best thing is to redo the keyword research, get better keywords, place them carefully (module + text + maybe even a few picture captions), update a few tags and maybe use the BEST 1-2 keywords as tags, and then find a way to get at least 1 or 2 new backlinks for it to force google to recrawl the page during its next crawler update.

This may work on some subjects but on others there are no keywords to substitute.  I've since quit trying to use particular keywords and just write the article as clearly as I can.  I'm actually weary of caring about this stuff anymore as it seems quite useless to concern myself with it. 

As others have reported, their other accounts with the same type hubs and writing style weren't affected while another of theirs was.  This makes no sense whatsoever as bad keyword usage should be penalized on all accounts.  Who the heck knows? smile

I never did worry about it.  Sooner or later AI and LSI will be smart enough that none of that will matter at all.

I certainly hope you are correct, Pcunix.  I had rather just write and not have to worry about all of the BS which seems to go along with producing useful content online. smile

2. dungeonraider profile image85
                  dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, the algorithm will eventually be tweaked so a very high percentage of searchers find pages they use and enjoy.  I'm guessing that won't be far off in the future.  Subdomains on a penalty-free HP that have such content, will get quality views.

17. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I think the Sub Domain switch does seem to have had a positive reaction site wide, with a few exceptions. My traffic has doubled what it was Pre-Panda, and earnings were pretty good beforehand, have doubled as of this month. Lets just wait and see what happens a few months down the line...

18. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

I was doing great with the subdomain split until the October 13 "tweak." It only affected a small portion of the web, but something in my hubs triggered the almighty Panda. My traffic has rebounded slightly, but I still can't figure out what tripped the Panda update on that date. Go figure...I'm still doing decently, so I'm continuing to write - hopefully I'll go back up to the daily figures I was seeing in late September!

19. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

I have to agree, Pcunix. I have had essentially the same experience as you since we were split into subdomains.

But winderness has a point earlier in this thread, "HP has done a terrific job with marketing the ads." And I see that this has also helped with the increase in income. 

The breakdown is that my traffic went up almost six times since pre-panda, but the income has gone up 10 times. A lot of it due to the HP earnings program.

Oh, by the way, Pcunix, congrats on your 100 Hubber score.

Dollar score come, dollar score go.
      Hey mister tally man, tally me banana.
      Dollar score come, dollar score go

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

Congrats to you and Pcunix, Glenn!  I wish I could do that!  smile

You're only one away! You've probably even been there before and missed it!

I was only kidding, Glen!  I usually hit the dollar mark once a week or so and always feel good about it, even though I have no idea how it is figured. smile

I thought you were. I've seen mine drop to 96 at times. You're right, we have no idea how it's figured.

I told you. It's a dartboard. The staff each get three shots and those of us they hit square between the eyes get the dollar.  The more they miss by, the lower the score.

Which is why those of us with big heads do well..

1. habee profile image93
                habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that's the best explanation I've heard, PQ!

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Oh! No wonder I've had a pain between my eyes.

20. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Tony,

Sub-Domains also hit just before we got out of Google's sandboxing of this site. The effect of sub domains and a get out of jail for HubPages has helped traffic for many. It has also pounded others especially those who report that their own traffic has become staid or nose dived and not come back or even is coming back, but at a snails pace.

At the end of the day, with change your going to get;

Those who see opportunity and change with the change.

Those who are not sure whats going on so they go with the flow.

Those who don't like the change, get emotionally pissed off and rebel against the change. They may also may outburst publicly (via forums) on how they feel.

How to handle the above three scenarios? There is no right or wrong way to handle it. It comes down to choices made with the changes that happen and will continue to happen.

I feel for those who have left and can understand their point of view, even if I personally don't agree or ascribe to that view.

All choices in using this site are simple.

Do what your doing now, or
    Leave, or
    Stay

Simple really

I am glad for some of those who have decided to stay smile

True.  It seems we have another round of those decisions with the Amazon changes (though that really should help most of us).

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

All very well said. I especially resonate with one particular thing you said... "Those who see opportunity and change with the change." 

I read in Google's blog how any poor content on  a web site can pull down the ranking of the rest of the site. So I took the opportunity that was presented after the subdomain split and deleted my worst performing Hubs. Shortly after that I noticed more Google traffic slowing develop. So deleting my worst Hubs must have helped pull the rest up. I took the opportunity and changed with the change, just as you said.

1. wavegirl22 profile image49

+ 1

+ 1

3. Randy Godwin profile image60

You forgot to mention those of us have tried everything including changing things HP have suggested.  I assume you haven't suddenly plunged overnight with no previous spikes nor other plunges as I have.  Perhaps you could take a look at my hubs and tell me exactly what I should do to rectify my unknown mistakes.  I certainly cannot find anyone else who's been able to definitely find the problem.

In February when many others here experienced a sudden traffic loss my account continued to rise.  Unlike you and others, I did not assume all of these folks were at fault because they didn't do the right thing or "go with the flow."  Give me your best suggestions and I promise I will follow them to the letter and report back with the results.  From your post, I assume you know what to do. Thanks for your knowledge.

Randy, If you don't mind me answering your question. 

Having quality Hubs is one thing, but we also need to get quality traffic to have visitors who end up clicking ads. Check your tags to be sure they don't match with unrelated searches. I find that adjusting my tags based on my Google Analytics is a powerful way to correct the kind of the traffic I get.

Thanks for the advice, Glenn.  Are you saying the tags which formerly garnered me lots of traffic no longer apply?  I will certainly recheck the tags and keywords on my hubs, but those which worked so well before are some of the few words I can actually use on certain repair articles I've written, unless of course, I try and use only slightly related terms.  I thought this was frowned upon in some circles. 

Unless Google decided all of my tags on all of my articles suddenly became invalid, I cannot understand why this would be the problem.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I appreciate all advice given on this confusing problem.  smile

No. I'm not saying that those tags no longer apply. If you know you had certain tags that worked for you, then they probably are still working. What I'm talking about are tags that are too short (such as only one word) can match too many other search arguments that have nothing to do with your subject. 

That's something to try to avoid because those people will click away as soon as they discover that they stumbled on the wrong thing. And Google reacts as if your Hub had no value. Which is totally wrong, except that it just simply didn't apply to their search. See my point?

Yes I do see your point, Glen.  I'll check these on my formerly very popular hubs but I always try to use pertinent tags both single and multiple words.  But honestly, these hubs garnered lots of praise and thanks from the readers, as well as,good Amazon sales and Adsense before my plunge, so I assume folks found what they looked for.

But I hope you are correct as I'm reaching the end of my patience here.  No one can tell me anything definite and that doesn't bode well for either HP or Google in the future. smile

Thanks again!

Don't give up. I almost gave up when I initially plunged when Panda was first introduced back in February. I'm glad I stayed. We lost a lot of good writers on HP who didn't stick around.

What may have been working as "pertinent tags" in the past may not work the same now. Both with single and multiple words, the outcome may be different.

What people say in the comments may mislead you. They are saying positive things because you have quality Hubs. There's no questioning that.

I'm trying to switch your focus to the non-quality traffic you may be getting. That is traffic from people who are finding your Hubs due to incorrect matching of tags to search arguments.

The new way the Google algorithm works is still being adjusted and fine-tuned. In some ways it became worse, giving search results that don't relate to the thing the person may be looking for. But Google continues to work on that as their main goal is to provide quality results to searches. That means sites that relate very well to the query.

If tags cause the algorithm to match incorrectly then you end up getting traffic that is not looking for your subject matter. So they leave. This shows up as a bounce in your Google Analytics report.

That's why I watch my Google reports. I examine my Hubs that have a high bounce rate to see what I need to change. It's usually a mismatch on tags to queries.

I'll end with an example to make this clear. If you write about turtle eggs and you use "eggs" in a tag, then your Hub may come up in a search for "scrambled eggs" and they will bounce away from your hub if they click to it. Using "eggs" in a tag may be considered pertinent, but may bring the wrong results.

1. wavegirl22 profile image49

Glenn that was an enlightening example.

Makes so much sense, and I think the "turtle eggs" as opposed to just having "eggs" bringing in the scrambled results provides some clarity to something that can be so confusing!

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
                  Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I check my stats as well and have come to the same conclusion.  Interested traffic is good, disinterested is positively harmful.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Randy,

No I haven't forgotten those folk such as your self whom have worked their collective asses off trying to turn a penny here on HubPages.

You are correct in your assumption that I haven't plunged, nor have I spiked with sudden bursts of increases in views.

I doubt your hubs have issues as such as its hard to pick what constitutes a 'problem' hub outside of the obvious spam and poor quality crap that does seep through onto HubPages. I very much think your hubs are quality hubs Randy, but why there is no traffic for your hubs. Without reading every single hub you have. Hard to qualify.

There is no definitive answer I can give to why other peoples hubs are doing well, doing poorly or otherwise.

I have 20 or so hubs that are 6-12 months old, that are limp for traffic always. Consider that I have spent some time over that 6 or so months rewriting sections, tightening or realigning tags, re-writing headings and titles  to read more naturally with proper grammar and updating summaries. Some of these hubs I have updated more than once.

They still tank after all this time.

Other hubs of mine which I think stink, have incrementally over time got traffic and still remain with good traffic and I am sitting here sometimes wondering WTF with those hubs.

All I know Randy, is continue to use what works and try something different for those items that don't.

My initial response above in reply to Tonys' (PCUNIX) OP was the consistant complaints that some have made and are not happy with changes that have happened since we got smacked hard by Panda.

Am I myself upset or feel bad about this? No. I really feel for all these people. Both those writers and this site and the staff. Not one person on this site came out the other side of Panda.

There is no one at fault is there is no right or wrong, only decisions people make based on choices. I know I have certainly made my fair share.

Thanks for your reply, KJ.  It underlined the problems some of us are experiencing.  There is no solution.  We are at the mercy of non-human bots which are ill prepared for actually determining quality or degree of helpful content in the searched for term.  Perhaps it will get better, but when money is involved, things don't always work out for the best.  smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Randy,

Your welcome. If I see any anything about your hubs that I reckon would assist, I will let you know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)