Too much preaching on Hub Forum

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Shinkicker profile image54
    Shinkickerposted 12 years ago

I don't mind folk debating Theology and the Meaning of Life but there are some people on Hubpages who keep banging on from their electronic pulpit about Jesus and the Bible.

I think it's time that Hubpages considered whether this is appropriate content. I think it belongs on religious websites not a social network that is inclusive of all people of all religions or no religion.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The clue is in the title "Religion and Philosophy". Last time I looked in a dictionary Jesus and the bible were religious topics. If you don't like the topics being discussed perhaps this is not the forum for you.

Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Disappearinghead
        I like the topics and I'm interested in discussionl. I just don't like people pontificating and bringing dogma to an otherwise interesting debate.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The way I read the OP, Shinkicker isn't complaining about discussion.  He's complaining about the people who create threads with no intention of debating anything - they just want to proclaim.  And if anyone dares question their proclamation, they get abusive.

I do think a lot of people think the Religion forum is a place for the religious to have a cosy chat about how wonderful their religion is, rather than a forum for interesting debate.  They really need to go and find a private forum for their own interests and stop polluting HP.  But there's nothing we can really do to persuade them of that.

2. GoldenBird profile image57
      GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"electronic pulpit" lol

You are perhaps correct. But we can not control, it's their website. And 'perhaps', you are correct; 'perhaps'.

3. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about it as I am sick to death of all this "I am right and your wrong" BS on all sides, I think people should just agree to disagree and get on with their lives and find something else to talk about.
      Too many people are afraid to come into the forums for fear they are gonna be sucked into a religious debate! Its time it all stopped and people realize that not everyone wants to hear this BS over and over again and that instead of going on and on about it in  the forums why not just write a hub instead? Then people can actually talk about intellectual things instead of debating and disputing religion and atheism smile

1. GoldenBird profile image57

What do 'people' want to hear? cool

1. calpol25 profile image59

Common Sense smile

1. GoldenBird profile image57

Most of the time, though, they are found interested in the un-common sense. cool

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, it certainly is a pain in a public forum to deal with evangelism, but those believers only make themselves look childish and desperate. As alleged grown adults, it is laughable.

5. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fit like, ma loun?
      What I've never quite understood is why HP decided that 'Religion and Philosophy' was a sensible category. Philosophy is all about rigorous inquiry at the limits of human understanding. Religion is all about avoiding it!

Well put Paraglider. The Scottish Enlightenment is alive and well. David Hume would be proud of you. Wherever he is LOL

1. Paraglider profile image87
          Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

David Hume never actually died. He was taken up to the great library in the sky wink

6. tirelesstraveler profile image61
      tirelesstravelerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe what you have suggested is called censorship. HubPages has specific rules about how and what is allowed.  Religion and philosophy are acceptable. You have freedom of choice to follow hubs, forums and whomever you like.
      A forum is designed to let people share their opinions.

Do you feel the same about other religions or is it just Christians?

Diversity in the true sense of the word is what truly enlightens us.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I get the point.

By all means have rational discussions about the meaning of whatever, but not the preaching thing.  Preachers should blog it.

Did not the Lord say "he that spaketh the religious stuff should stay out of the forum temple?"

3. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

This is a religion and philosophy forum. What were you expecting, do it yourself threads? Jesus isn't gonna help me build a deck, not any time soon anyway. lol

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Seems to me that you mistake the purpose of lots of these threads. 

Rather than a pulpit, although some are indeed using the forums that way, many are started as a "fellowship meeting" or "testimonial" - a method to bolster their own and other's faith.  Not particularly appropriate IMO, but not totally inappropriate either, given that these are open forums.

What is inappropriate are the complaints from the faithful trying to have such fellowship on an open forum when non-believers chime in.  If you want a private meeting of believers to pat each other on the back, an HP forum is not the place to do it.

5. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

It seems that Hub Pages puts any and all forum posts in the feed, regardless of the nature or category of the posts. Perhaps the powers that be can categorize the feed so readers can choose the latest forum content that they want to view.

I have absolutely no problem with people who love to discuss their religion and politics as much as they want to.

My only problem is with an open feed that puts up some titles that upset me to no end. I'd rather not encounter them.

Finally, a jumbled feed makes it hard to track the posts that I like to follow without getting tons of e-mails.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why are you complaining about all forum posts being in the feed? There is a simple remedy; don't look at the feed, just look at the forums that interest you. If you get upset by forum titles then perhaps you get upset too easily. You can also select the topics that you want to receive email about, so just deselect the topics you are not interested in. Simple.

6. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

You have to option of not reading or coming to the forums. Maybe you should use it.

True janesix, but I like to read them. It's just the attitude of some folk who think they have a hotline to the absolute truth.

7. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 12 years ago

I hear ya Shinkicker, but I'm glad we still have somewhat free speech. The nice thing about these forums is that we do have the freedom to voice our opinions in them as you did if we choose to do so. Some forums just don't seem to interest me so I just pass on them. smile
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3137668.jpg

Free speech is great Ron, free thinking even better. There are many closed minds here when it comes to religion. That's on both sides of the divide of course :-)

1. zzron profile image57
        zzronposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right on brother!

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://www.yourfunnystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/if-you-could-reason-with-religious-people.jpg
    Sorry, I couldn't pass this one up. big_smile

9. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

If they took religion they would have to remove politics it all goes hand-in-hand.
    Here are my thoughts, if we don't like a topic we don't have to express ourselves on it. Just my opinion.

10. Alexander Mark profile image82
    Alexander Markposted 12 years ago

From the Microsoft Works Word Processor dictionary: Forum - place to express yourself: a medium in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions, e.g. a magazine or newspaper

I don't see anything there that says we should censor anyone because they're annoying to a portion of the community.

Moreover, a large portion of the HP community is religious, just like a large portion is atheist, New Age and so on, you are absolutely off your rocker to say that a group should be singled out to be silenced. Religious people are a part of your Hubpages experience, not a separate entity. I don't mean to be rude, but all I can say to you is: deal with it.

Let's keep things open and free so that we can both voice our opinions.

1. calpol25 profile image59

Why dont we just have an agree to disagree button on the threads so that when you click it, people dont have to see the religious and political threads? That way people who dont wish to be involved can avoid being sucked in to all the drama, and see topics they want to see smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not the short posts that are bad, it's the people who post a 1,000 word essay on a forum. I try to stay off the religious ones, but it's hard sometimes. When religious people use a hub to explain their views, and use over a certain amount of quoted scriptures, I think it's duplicate content. If they want to explain how a scripture gave them a new outlook on a problem, changed their life, etc, that's different. But there's too much preaching and no original thought.

Agreed Jean, and I've noticed how people introduce it unprompted into other forum threads too as if foisting dogma on others is a positive way of discussing a topic.

2. Alexander Mark profile image82
        Alexander Markposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How is that different from censorship? If we made it equal for all groups, there would be no religious or political forums on either side!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)