Do you avoid religious discussions, or do you love to be a part of the

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Bmm209 profile image61
    Bmm209posted 12 years ago

Often, a dispute or argument is about religion. A lot of times, I'm drawn into it since I'm very religious myself. But, often I hesitate to respond because it can cause a war online( aka, a flame war). I usually have, in my opinion, a good reply to some general questions like where we came from, the point of life, who is god really, and why is there so much badness in the world.

Do you usually partake in these questions, just scroll by them, or ignore them all together?

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With the exception of this question, which happens to show up under the "religion and philosophy" forum, I have to say I ignore them.   They're not what I come to the forums to find.  I participate in the forums to learn what's going on with other Hubbers and the site, maybe get ideas for writing, or else just socialize a little (or maybe try to be helpful to someone if I think I can be).  Everyone has his own reasons for participating in the forums.  Those are mine.  Other people use the forums to debate religion and politics, or to try to convince others to think as they do.   I aim more for the topics that I think people have in common, rather than the ones that divide people.

1. Cameron Corniuk profile image85
        Cameron Corniukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you can be helpful--ha! That's like saying if the pot and kettle can be black. big_smile

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will observe the conversation until I am invited into the conversation.

3. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have my moments when I respond and other times I just scroll, read and move on. It depends on the discussion in general and what is placed on my heart to write.

4. pedrog profile image60
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you think you have something useful to add to the discussion you should enter the debate.

Usually i engage in some religious debates only if the people involved seem to be rational, the religious mindset, many times, is very restrict, people don't use reason and don't accept facts and logic, it's a waste of time arguing with this kind of people, you can see this kind of mindset in other things like, pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, cults, things like this...

2. cprice75 profile image85
    cprice75posted 12 years ago

I have taken part in some religious discussions on the site.  I've found that many of them become, as you've said, flame wars.  When people get overly disrespectful, I tend to back out, although not because I've changed my opinion.  I don't mind stating my opinion and try to respect people and their opinions even if I disagree, but certain people do not reciprocate.  Disagreement is fine.  Condescension and seeming hatred are not.

1. Bmm209 profile image61
      Bmm209posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It's fine to disagree, but not to insult. That if often the problem with political and religious conversations. It's just really personal and everyone seems to have an extremely strong view about it, and can lash out.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

I do both ,depends on whether a topic interests me or not.

When certain posters just atagonise or attack people for wanting to share/discuss their belief system,lack of manners  can get tedious.

For me personally, I like to support new comers,and interact with like minds smile

But the good thing about a forum,you can walk away anytime you like smile

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course, that is the furthest from the truth as we find only the beliefs are attacked and not the people themselves, and when the beliefs are attacked, then the personal insults start flying and they come from the believers, not the other way round.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It kind of seems funny that one cannot speak the mind, without an evangelist getting angry.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
          Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people have control issues lol,probably were school yard bullies too lol

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

We?

Have you nominated yourself to speak for others?

Take your blinkers off and I am sure you will see its a 'human problem'(ego perhaps) and not a spiritual one at all, not even close.

And yet, many of your dishonest posts and false statements would show otherwise.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

No, your comment is opinion based not fact based.

Thanks for sharing YOUR opinion.

And, I'm sure you'll continue believing that as you do so many other irrational beliefs.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Many of your posts sound silly and full of ignorance (to me)about what Christianity means to individuals, but I agree 100% that you should be free to express your opinion, but be very clear on one thing.

Your opinion about my faith and relationship with God has absolutely nothing to do with how you stereotype or judge me,either presently or in the future smile

I'm sure they do sound full of ignorance to you, reality is far removed from your posts and it appears to be quite a foreign concept, so that would stand to reason. Your posts show little to no grasp of reality.

I only see your words and compare them with reality to see if they can stand on their own... they don't. smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
                Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You really are funny ATM. You are oft to post that believers just hurl insults about, yet insults form the major parts of your posts. Oh the irony!! lol

Please try to understand the difference between hurtling personal insults and criticizing the ideas in a post.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
                    Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Truly ATM you are the master at blurring the boundaries between the two, nay, blending them into one. wink

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

From time to time I give an opinion, but usually I tend to stay out of the fracas, especially when I can see that the dicussion is going nowhere and it's just the same old rehashed argument about the existence of God or who has the better religion. I don't mind a good discussion or some lively debate, but invariably someone will poke in and muck it all up by being rude or disrespectful. At that point, I know it's time to go.

5. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

In my first few, gloriously naive weeks here on Hubpages I commented a few times on the religious forums. And then after my rose-colored glasses were shattered in a rather vicious verbal brawl, I crawled away and decided to never partake again. I try not to even read them if at all possible. A lot of hypocrisy, anger, veiled contempt on all sides... it's just not a pleasant place to be and I find myself wilting.

No, I'm better off staying far away.

I refer to the galsses as being mirrored, for we only like the reflection we see. If we can agree then all is right with the world, though if others are happy and we are not, then we create the reflection.

1. Shanna11 profile image75
        Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You remind me of Yoda for some reason. You speak rather eloquently.

My mother was my first grammar teacher, she was a schtickler for proper language and the love of others. To her a pillbug was God... thank you for the compliment.

6. TheMagician profile image89
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

I'd rather talk about something else... fun stuff smile
    I just think religion is more so a personal thing. Plus, a good half of the forums are religious posts, and it's not like we've already read and heard everything before. I try to keep an eye open for things that are interesting instead smile

7. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

I enjoy religious discussion as long as it does not include comments that are trying to twist or subvert the truth.

That wouldn't be a discussion then, but instead, a mutual patting-on-the-back gesture. Rather pointless.

8. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

It depends.

See, I come from a weird place: I believe in God, but I also know that science works. Further, I recognize that belief and knowledge are not the same thing, and one can have belief that contradicts knowledge.

If there's a discussion on the finer points of theology, I'll listen and ask questions and voice my opinion. Who knows, I might learn something.

But so many of the discussions run along the lines of "Prove there's a God!" "No, you prove there's no God!" "No, you prove there is!" "No, you prove there isn't!"

It's amusing. Sometimes I try to remind people that there's a difference between faith and knowledge, and that they'r not incompatible; it's okay to have both. Sometimes I haven't got the energy.

There's also the one up crowd... My God's better, my God's stronger, my God's bigger.

1. Jason Marovich profile image86
        Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, your last statement reminded me of an awesome scene from Conan the Barbarian (Universal, 1982):

Conan: What gods do you pray to?

Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?

Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.

Subotai: [chuckles] What good is he then? Ah, it's just as I've always said.

Conan: He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain!

Subotai: Ah, my god is greater.

Conan: [chuckles] Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain.

Subotai: My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! Your god lives underneath him.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
          Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1 smile

2. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh no, not the "prove God does or doesn't exist" and the "my God's better than your God" arguments again!  Those discussions make my eyes roll. They are so mind-numbing and repetitive it's torture. Seriously, I've been following the forums for the 2 years I've been on HubPages, and it's always the same old, same old when it comes to religion.  I once made the mistake of saying that maybe some people had too much time on their hands. Holy cow, I'll never do that again.  Ouch!   So, I pop in every now and again to see if anything has changed... I'm never disappointed.  Nothing ever changes.

I wasn't speaking for myself there. I don't care how big or important my God is, for to me it's just another idea and it's not that important.

1. Disturbia profile image61
            Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, my comment wasn't directed at you and I hope I wasn't offensive.  My ADD sometimes gets in between my brain and my mouth, or in this case my fingers. It was just a general comment about what you said and my frustration with the religious forums and the disrespect I see people giving to those who don't believe as they do. Personally, I feel each person's belief system has equal merit.  I get so tired of reading some of the more narrow-minded people trashing other's beliefs.

People protecting their own percieved identity...

9. Cameron Corniuk profile image85
    Cameron Corniukposted 12 years ago

I stay out of the religious discussions. This is in real life as well as online. Part of this is because--no pun intended--I enjoy playing devil's advocate. Part of it is because I follow the old rule. At the table, you don't discuss politics, religion, or (uh-oh what was that other thing? sex?). These discussions have too much a way of getting out of control and feelings hurt, especially when it's online. Plus, I just don't come online for that sort of thing anyhow.

Now, the one thing I do like are the discussions where it's basically Q&A. There's no right or wrong answer. People just ask and others answer and there is no judgement cast upon those answers that are given. example: What do you believe? Answer. Oh, interesting. Do you think that ABC=XYZ? Answer. Oh, why or why not? Okay. Cool. Unfortunately, it's few and far between to find these sorts of things anywhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)