How many words is your longest hub? How's the traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

I just wrote my longest hub to date, and wonder if it will be read. I know that the guidelines recommend up to 1500 or more, but will people read something that hits about 2500?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have one hub that has 250k views - it has 1200 words.
      One of my longer hubs has 2600 words and has 28k views.

I find that my niche hubs get far more traffic - but my longer hubs get consistent traffic - over time I suspect my longer hubs will do better!

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying 250,000 views on one Hub and the other 28,000 on the other one????

Yep. Hit a great niche! not many clicks though - it's not a great niche for Adsense - but brings in a few pennie.

The hub in question was on a niche that just happened to explode for me - it's a good ub but not brilliant. I have quite a few high traffic niche hubs!

The 28k hub is a 'quality' hub and is the one that will probably still be around in ten years while the other will have faded to oblivion!

What I was trying to convey is that in the short term - short hubs in a niche can do amazingly well - but long term - quality will count!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes Mary that's what he's suggesting big_smile
          My highest hub has got somewhere close to 1.5k views

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then it seems like it might be worth the extra effort if you are in this for the long term. What you really wish for is niche and quality/quantity.
        Thanks, SimeyC.

2. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it's well-written and relevant to both their needs and interests, they might.

Agreed - I think for long term traffic - a well written article, that covers the subject well has far more life than a short niche article!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89

Thank you, Relache. You always cut to the chase, and I think you are right.

3. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read it and didn't even notice if it was long..

Thank you for reading, Pcunix-- I thought it was starting to get a little tedious at the last, but tried to break it up -- and also make it easy to skim. I really appreciate your impression.

4. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rochelle, 2500 isn't that long. My longest hub is 1800 words and even though it hasn't aged yet, it has been getting steady traffic....not a lot but growing steadily. And the stats show 5 stars for length of viewing.

2. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

My best two performers have 2800 and 3050 words respectively. 

Yes, they will read it.

Thanks, Wilderness. I guess we are not talking "30 hubs in 30 days" things. I am a slowww writer. for most subjects. I can see that the hubs I have spent more time on, usually (with a few funny flukes) do better.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No we are not.  While I can write a good hub in a day (at least one I don't have to research for) it takes most of the day.  No way I could do 30 hubs in 30 days and hold my day job.

And you're entirely correct - with a few funny flukes the hubs I put the time into are the ones that do better.

1. wordscribe43 profile image89
          wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been my experience as well.  I do have a few "outliers" that get way more attention than I would have ever imagined...  But, for the most part, the longer ones with the best information have fared the best.  That said, most of my hubs are between 800-1500 anyway. I just finished an 1800+ one the other day I have high hopes for... we'll see.  No doubt, getting lucky with a topic can break all the rules.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

This isn't my longest, but it's one of my longer ones with decent monthly traffic (and it was easiest and quickest to find right now):

A little of 4000 words.  A little over 3000 in 30-day traffic.

(I just went back and found a 6000-worder that has 1700-plus in monthly views.)  I got another 6000-worder that only shows in the 290's for 30-day views.)

The subjects of the two better ones are very nitty-gritty-life subjects that a lot of people probably search for, or are interested in.)

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89

Thanks for all of the comments--- and I will try to get to each of you individually.
    So, it looks like doing some deep digging into details of a subject will give some stability and staying power.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image89

OK-- I like all of the reassurance. I have one in the works (halfway done) that is turning into a monster. I'm thinking of making it a part 1 and 2 and linking them.

Glad to hear that length is not a killer.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've done that, too, Rochelle.  I wrote one early on that just wouldn't quit, and finally broke it into two hubs, linking the two together.

Between the two, they come to something over 5000 words, and I do think that is too much for a single hub.  A very few topics might be OK for a very few readers, but in general that is just 'way too long.

Thanks for sharing your experience on this.
        When I got to a certain point-- I thought.."uh oh"

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
          Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got a few over 3,000 words. People told me they were too long, but the nature of what I was explaining couldn't be cut down more than it already was. It was actually a series of long hubs-7 of them. I find when I decide to write, often I choose a subject new to me, so I get to learn something new and interesting. So if it is holding my attention, and I am enthusiastic about the subject, the hubs do well. It may take time for people to find them, age matters. You can break them down into smaller ones if there is a natural sounding break point, or make one by rewriting the beginning and end sentences. I think you will be fine. The trend seems to be moving to google liking detailed writing from people who know their subjects. Best wishes.

Thank you for your advice. I self- edit and try to delete unnecessary 'filler'. Being direct and to the point is my usual style, but that doesn't always make things short.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I think my longest is 1341. It also gets the 2nd best traffic daily. It currently has over 230,000 views.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh man.  Nearly quarter of a million. Congrats to you and utter hopeless misery to me on my pathetic traffic levels.

Not really.  When you compare the (lack of) amount of informative content versus page views I'm probably ahead.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A month?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All views... about 6,000 a month. I did have a very successful weekend last year where I got quite a few of those views.

1. Cardisa profile image90
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

UW, I was wondering if I have 3 hubs on the same subject, parts 1 -3, would it be better to make one hub instead? How do I add the other two hubs to the first one without it be called duplicate?

3. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying to be more consise. It's hard for me though, it's not my style of writing. I wrote a few pieces on Helium (my Valentine's one was featured on the 1st page yesterday)! and the funny thing is, I sort of wrote it in jest, I wasn't trying at all! The site is brutal about word count though, if they say 500 words, you can't write 501. So it's a good exercise for me, lol. I won't give them my time though, I write a quick thing and actually set the timer for 45 minutes!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)