What is more important to those that belief in God?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (53 posts)
  1. davidkaluge profile image54
    davidkalugeposted 11 years ago

I want to know what is important to all those that belief in God that is Christians, Muslim and other religious groups. Is their interest for people to do  the right things or they want people to follow them. That is, is the interest of each group for instance Christians and Muslim that without Jesus or Mohammed all good things are in vain? Is their interest for one to follow their founders or to do the right things, if they must choose one.

1. profile image0
      Kena Bladelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do the right thing.

2. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But what is the "Right Thing?" Who defines it?

The right thing is to turn from evil and turn to good. But what exactly are these?

Every evil thing has selfishness (ego) at the center of it. Anything which is judged as "Important" has ego attached, because it is "important" to the "self."

Letting go of ego and returning to the true spiritual "self" (or "non-self"), is what Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Scientology and others have all been about. Scientology got close, from a methodical approach, but missed the mark by not recognizing the dangers of ego.

Was Gautama Siddhartha Buddha following Christ when he discovered how to give up ego entirely? I suspect he was.

3. Mahmo profile image60
      Mahmoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just to let  the people  know who is their creator who created them, and created their wonderful, magnificent, marvelous , stunning, super, dazzling, grand , miraculous , conspicuous  and precious systems of their body and organs which can never be attributed to coincidence.To know your creator means that you have achieved the purpose behind your existence on this earth and your success by following your creator's instruction to live happy and die happy and He ordered us to spread His word that He is the Sole Creator and not to conceal it from our brothers in humanity who are lost !

davidkalugeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So spreading the word is more important than doing what the word said?

1. Mahmo profile image60
          Mahmoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is your understanding of spreading His word ??!! If  I have to spread His word it means with no doubt that I should first believe in it, and if I believe in it it means that  ( I should do what it says )  and if I am feeling benefits in it I have to spread it .This is common sense .

4. Chris Neal profile image79
      Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To follow Jesus is to do the right thing, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with this question.

5. dove777 profile image59
      dove777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

the foundation premise is gratitude and knowing I am valuable and have a purpose. I obey Gods commands because I know doing so is for my own benefit. I trust my creator.

6. Chris Neal profile image79

Do the right thing, but also know what the right thing to do is.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Do the right thing.  Create the peace around you that you've been blessed with in your heart.

1. profile image0

Religion destroys society, one is that other is blabla and other is blablabla. We should just say: Hey i believe in God, and that's it! Each one of us are responsible for our society, so why care about if other is this or that if you don't do your part? Let's just be peaceful and no to discrimination just because you're of this religion. And besides, people should meditate on their own actions, see if they're being more similar to Christ (character, attitudes) every single day. Jesus Christ hates religion, and besides people taking their own religion, he loves every single one of them. Then why we do all this mess? War, discrimination just because of religion. Let's just love ourselves and each others.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  I don't understand how that response is relevant to what I said, but okay.

1. profile image0

I was not responding you, lol, sorry, forgot. Mental note: replies...

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile  No worries.  I just got a bit confused.  Of course, that happens often, so it certainly wasn't your fault! wink

1. profile image0

big_smile

2. lone77star profile image72

War, discrimination &c are not because of religion, but because of ego.

The heart of selfishness is behind every type of evil -- religious, monetary, jealousy, envy, rage, mistrust, outsiderness and every other kind of divisiveness.

Some have said that "money" is the root of all evil. But murder because of jilted love has nothing to do with money. The Rockefellers have all the money they need, so their murders of 3000+ people on 9/11 was only about power and tyranny. And no, it had nothing to do with religion.

Too many people look at the letter of scripture and miss the spirit. They take it too literally.

Christ was not against religion, for religion helps to keep the message alive. But ego has perverted religion just as it has perverted America's liberties with the UnPatriot Act, TSA, NDAA, HR 347, and Obama's Kill List.

3. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@kena ur point is valid...but i guess religion had its utility in past...it did create society which thought less and obeyed...such society helped humans survive...now in todays world jesus ,muhammad r counter productive for growth of human species and whether we like it or not , human species would choose best way forward...decline in faith is happening and right now it is happening among thinking societies...sooner it would catch up and we would finally see world which is based on rationality than my daddy strongest theme...

3. carriethomson profile image46
    carriethomsonposted 11 years ago

what is more important for the believer of God is the right path....A person who believes in God will never do wrogn thing knowing or unknowingly......That person's mind will automatically allow him to do right thing

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In other words no believer can sin?  They all lead a perfect life?

I don't think so...

1. lone77star profile image72

Good point, @wilderness.

One Christian told me at a Christmas party 5 years ago that his minister told him that he could do anything after being saved and it was all good. I couldn't believe that twisted teaching.

Even Christ admonished the adulteress not to sin any more.

We can only follow one master -- either ego (the heart of selfishness, and "master" of this world), or God (perfect love, humility, generosity, compassion and wisdom).

Ego is the blindfold of "Darkness" pulled over our spiritual eyes. And I realized only yesterday that my one spirit walk had removed that blindfold for a moment -- after finding that perfect form of selflessness. After 40 years, I'm finally starting to understand what that was about.

For a few moments in 1971, I "saw the Light" of independence from physical instrumentalities (dependence upon eyes, ears, and other physical senses).

4. violetheaven profile image61
    violetheavenposted 11 years ago

I believe that All good acts are not done in vain.  Being the black sheep of the herd of the Christian faith I consider myself non-denominational.  I think it is important for every person to work through their life and hopefully reach the point of acceptance of Jesus as their Savior.   I think that religion and faith are very personal and important things that no one other human can define or determine for another individual.  Jesus being more than human is excluded  from this line of thought.   I'm more interested in living out my beliefs through the incredible faith that God oversees and rules over all.  That his love can penetrate all barriers, including the barriers of different societies and religions. as humans we are social beings. We seek out community.  So we inherently want others to hold the same beliefs as we do.  This is where one must recognize that as ego.   Live and let live. Be strong enough in their faith to have it unshaken in the face of no community.   Yet respect that God is the only one capable of working on others however they need to be worked on.

1. lone77star profile image72

Incredibly beautiful, @violetheaven.

Everyone should be non-denominational. Denomination is divisive and egotistical. It's "my idea is better than yours."

But truth cannot be found if your cup is full (of your own ideas). We each need to approach the gates of heaven as a hungry beggar -- full of humility but empty of the ego self.

1. violetheaven profile image61
        violetheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wellsaid!                                                                                                                      In the Bible it is Satan that says I am better, I am greater, I am more capable than you, even to God!   Satan is chock full of ego. It in itself is a bloated lie. This is to often missed. A bloated ego is a bloated ego no matter how you put it.  Christ is not an excuse to have a bloated ego, but an opportunity to humble yourself to The Truly Greater One.     smile

1. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@violet that nots called satan , it is called believer...

It is possible to believe and not be chock full of ego.  You can believe and not think you are better than anyone else.  Recognizing who really has the power and authority. Choosing to love instead of hate.

5. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
    jay_kumar_07posted 11 years ago

What is more important to those that belief in God?

Amen.

6. davidkaluge profile image54

I asked the question because some Christians use the word, "Self-righteousness" when they claim someone is good but does not know Jesus so they think the person is still a sinner. It means no matter how good we are and can be we still lack except be belief in Jesus. That is a part to understand since believing in Jesus simply require doing the right things.

7. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 11 years ago

My interest is in hopefully helping someone, anyone, find salvation.

You mean a good man is not saved, why? It seems you have only a way to salvation not minding what good a man does. What is salvation without goodness?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christianity.

2. Chris Neal profile image79

Salvation is following Jesus, plain and simple. A man can be as good as can be (and there are very nice and even 'good' people who don't follow Jesus) and they won't be saved. The point is that you cannot earn your way into Heaven, you cannot ever put God in your debt (which is what earning your way into Heaven would be. I do such-and-such and this-and-such and God owes it to me to get me into Heaven. It doesn't work that way.)

I know it's not 'fair.' That's why so many Christians hold to Universalism (the idea that everyone will get into Heaven,) or at least Christian Universalism (the idea that everyone who claims to be a Christian will get into Heaven, regardless of what they actually did.) It's why Rob Bell is a literal rock star. But the Bible is pretty blatant about it.

2. janesix profile image61
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Salvation has nothing to do with Jesus.

Salvation is reuniting with God. And being "good" is certainly a requirement.

Oh oh, that will certainly be a huge problem for the vast majority of Christians.

1. janesix profile image61
          janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good, they need a kick in the a$$

8. davidkaluge profile image54

So how then do people make it to heaven?

1. Chris Neal profile image79

By following Jesus. Which means by doing all the things Jesus said to do, and by not doing all the things Jesus said not to do. And accepting Him and His gift.

You mean without following Jesus one won't make it to heaven but we know that Jesus came at a later stage so does it mean no one was in heaven until Jesus came? Or does it mean that a God that never changes changed his way/means to heaven?

9. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 11 years ago

I believe that God is the name for an idea of everythingness, encompassing all that is unknown or unexplainable. I believe everyone has what thier idea of God is to them and that it is neither male nor female just supreme beingness of all that is and ever has been. I don't believe that if you don't follow Christ that you will go to hell etc... I believe that we create our own heaven or our own hell by how we live our lives. I do believe thier is good and evil and I believe that if we choose to focus on good than more good comes to us and if we focus only on what is wrong with the world than that is what we see(ie: everything that is wrong). I believe if we live good and moral lives that we are on the right path, I believe live and let live. No judgement. What is it that brings peace ,joy, love and happiness ? those are the things we should be focusing on.

The problem with that belief is when science comes along to explain something, making God that much less of a belief. smile

I don't think science can or ever will explain away God.   Rather it shows how God works.  There are so many things that are unexplainable by science.  Questions come up and theories develop. String, Doughnut, Curtain, and others all leave more questions.  I think that science ultimately leads us to accepting that there has to be an intelligent force, an energy or being that helped to organize and put it all together.  There is no certain 100% scientific proof that God does not exist.   Refer to  Schrödinger's cat.

LOL! "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain for I am the great and powerful OZ!"

And, that's your reasoning for believing in God, because you don't have all the answers for the universe readily available in the palm of your hand?

Given a lot more time, science will explain a lot of things that are currently unexplainable, just like it already achieved with so many other things that were once unexplainable. Notice how silly your remark in light of that fact?

Yes, it is truly amazing and fascinating how science makes us think and ask more questions.

But, didn't you just say there are "so many things that are unexplainable"? It would appear you're not really clarifying your position on whether or not you're in favor of having explanations for those unexplainable things? Which is it?

Yes, they are called physical laws, many of them are well understood. However, there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest there was an intelligence driving it all. It all occurred simply because of those laws in action.

What does Schrodinger's cat have to do with God?

Look up Schrodingers cat.   Is God alive or not?  Does God exist or not?   You don't know  unless you open the box.... the box is your mind!  Think outside the box!

I understood Shrodingers cat some time ago, it has nothing to do with gods.

lol Gibberish.

10. violetheaven profile image61

Well you are stuck in the box.  Are you alive or are you dead?     The point is, sometimes people overly think logically and according to scientific law. The fact is that most of the scientific advances and alterations to the laws have been  made by those who are willing to question the laws that were supposedly solid at that point in time.   The failure to prove or disprove the existence of God scientifically does not prove or disprove its current state of being.  Say if no one has ever tasted an apple, does it change the flavor that is the apple?   No of course not. No one can explain it in terms we would understand.   I'm not going to play connect the dots with you.  You are looking through a microscope and seeing just the single cell of a multi-cellular organism surrounded by trillions of other organisms  within a  plasma and serum base.  Which is inside lets say a squirrel.   Its not  gibberish.  Its just outside your scope of understanding.   It doesn't mean I'm wrong in my hypothesis, or you are wrong in yours.  It means nobody knows what this life is on a grander scale than what we are currently seeing.   Have some kind of courtesy  in life and for others theories.   Since you are unable to disprove them please stop acting like you can.

No, I'm not stuck in any boxes.

Taking the time and effort to ask such a silly question is only precluded by the time it takes to respond to such a silly question.

Usually, those who do have a firm understanding of the world around them. This is nothing that would facilitate any real negative affects.

Sorry, but most of that was gibberish. I have no idea what you're talking about.

1. AndReall profile image61
        AndReallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about you're a closed minded bigot who gets neurotic pleasure by harassing innocent people?

Grow up, gal.

1. C-ing Eye profile image60
          C-ing Eyeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, you saw through her disguise.

1. C-ing Eye profile image60

On the other hand, religion can be an insidious influence. Jesus addressed this. It is an interesting read for anyone. I read the book of Luke when I became interested in checking out the Bible. I think it is a good place to start.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Banned and back again within minutes? Amazing.

2. C-ing Eye profile image60

You will have an experience with the Lord, and be declaring his Glory. Hallelujah, I see it! Praise his Holy Name!

11. davidkaluge profile image54

Did God change along the line?

12. C-ing Eye profile image60
    C-ing Eyeposted 11 years ago

Thank you for inviting me to share what I see. I am especially blessed that English is not your first language, and you have come to communicate. They say aptitude for language is a sign of intelligence, so is rhythm. I have been looking for one that applies to me, but it is no use. Please recieve my humble attempt to answer your question. I can only speak for myself.

I was a dead man walking. I cried out to God, "Please let me know if you are there. I don't think you are real. You can't be! Look at this! I have no will to live if there is nothing more."

I guess that was a prayer, although it did not seem like one. I have learned not to explain too much or  to tell another how to go about it. It is different for everyone.

At the end of the day, it comes down to reality. What is real? The love in my heart is real, and it was not there before. Personally, I accept all people of faith and am not compelled to change their minds with words. If someone has no faith at all, it is not my place to judge or scorn them. They need my friendship and love, and I am not to withhold it. I surely don't run my mouth about it. As a matter of fact, not that many do.

Maybe Christian television has done those of us in the trenches a great disservice with their "ministries". To me they seem to be carrying God's money in a leaky bucket. They don't seem to deliver much to those who really need it. Perhaps some are "wolves in sheep's clothing" and are distorting what it means to walk in faith.

When I was an unbeliever, I had no jag against believers. I was open minded and accepting of other people and their beliefs. I enjoyed hearing about or studying for a better understanding with my neighbors in this world. I was alone when I "got saved". Now, I can not deny God anymore.

13. violetheaven profile image61

Religions are created to battle ego.  So whenever a person believes in God does something, they should think about it and question wheither it comes out of ego or the spiritual... and even then, is it from God or some other source?   Humans were gifted with the ability to think through their actions.  We are like unto plants in that some of us have grown to have deep roots and can withstand all kinds of weather.  But there are other plants that hardly have any root.  All it takes is a strong wind or heavy rain to wash them away.   Those that are full of ego have little root development.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)