Romney attempts etch-sketch move on immigration, too little too late.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (24 posts)
  1. mio cid profile image60
    mio cidposted 11 years ago

Romney appears on interview with Jorge Ramosand is asked point blank if he wants to round up and deport 12 million illegal aliens and he says that no he doesn't want to round up and deport those millions of aliens ,but he does not mention the other half of his response he gave during the primaries, which is that he wants to make their life so miserable and unbearable that they will self deport, but he didn't need to do that  99 percent of hispanic voters already know that, and that's why this lame attempt was too little too late.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is that a quote? Where did he say that?

GA

mio cidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney had to deal with at least three challenges Wednesday at a meet-the-presidential-candidate forum on Spanish-language Univision.The questions quickly turned to immigration, with Salinas asking Romney if he would maintain Obama's deferred-action policy, which would stop deportation proceedings against certain young people brought into the country illegally by parents or others.

Romney repeated his past criticism that Obama's action was temporary and that a President Romney would push for comprehensive and permanent immigration reform.

With Romney failing to directly answer the question, Salinas finally said: "Are you going to deport them or not? Yes or no?"

Romney answered: "We're not going to round up people around the country and deport them ... "

That led host Jorge Ramos to remind Romney that the former Massachusetts governor had called on illegal immigrants to deport themselves. Ramos asked if 11 million people would self-deport. And, he added, did Romney like the tough Arizona law that cracks down on illegal immigrants?

"I believe people make their own choices as to whether they want to go home. And that's what I mean by self-deportation," Romney said.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But nowhere in all this do I see indication that
          "he wants to make their life so miserable and unbearable that they will self deport, "

pay attention now, i said before that part that you mention where he says he'll make their life so unbearable they'll self deport is the part he left out while talking to a hispanic audience.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
            Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

;http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012 … n-primary/

Here you go, Mr. Wil derNess smile.
            He does not used the words "make life so miserable" but he does discuss enforcing conditions that lead to illegals self-deporting.

I like this link because it provides a panorama of comments. None of which seem remotely pro-immigration.

The link doesn't work for me.

But in any case, what you mean is that he will enforce the law.  That a President would actually enforce the laws that he has sworn to uphold might be a novel idea, but I have a hard time seeing it as "bad" somehow.

Our president is no different that a cop on the beat; that cop can't choose which laws to enforce and which ones to ignore except in the most minor of cases.  Neither should our president, although they do exactly that when it comes to illegal aliens.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

Here is an exact quote.
                Hopefully this link works better.
                I am not aware of any federal law regarding illegals working in the US.
                But if they do enact one, do you believe it should punish the employers who hire illegals?
                You know, like that lawn company Romney had working for him?

http://flapolitics.blogspot.com/2012/01 … bling.html
                In one of the very few remarkable moments in the "debate", Romney magically solved the problem of illegal immigration: "Romney was asked to explain how he could say he does not want to round up illegal immigrants but also say they should have to go back to home countries, then apply for citizenship."
                "So, if you don't deport them, how do you send them home?" Tampa Bay Times political editor Adam C. Smith asked.

"Well, the answer is self-deportation, which is people decide they can do better by going home because they can't find work here because they don't have legal documentation to allow them to work here," Romney replied.

Absolutely companies should be fined, and fined heavily, for hiring illegal aliens that have no legal right to work in the US.

In fact, I wrote a hub on solving the "immigration" fiasco and that was one of my suggestions.  End the work, end the problem.

As far as Romney contracting with a company hiring illegals; you fine the comany, not Romney.  It isn't reasonable to require every person doing business with a company to check all their employees; you won't check those of Sears when you buy a dress there and Romney should not have to check the employees of a lawn company contracted to cut his grass.

Now if Romney hires someone, as an employee, to cut his grass and that employee is an illegal then you fine Romney.

Of course all that is predicated on the feds implementing a quick and effective method of verifying the legal status of a prospective employee.  We already have the beginnings of the system (you must provide two IDs to get a job), but it needs finishing.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77

I agree, although I'm at a loss as to who would enforce such laws and should they be federal or state?

But...
                    I heard on NPR the other day that illegal immigration from Mexico has vastly declined due to the fact that the economic incentive of jobs here vastly declined during the recession. That makes sense. No jobs, no reason to risk your life to cross the border.

And..
                    I must say I find it quite fascinating that the most vocal opponents of illegal immigration seem to not live in states where there is a huge immigrant population.
                    Have you noticed that?
                    MM

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He did say that. He called it encouraging "self-deportation." The latest was just another of Willard pandering to whatever audience he's speaking to.

He must really  believe because some hispanic speaking people don't have a great command of the english language that  we are stupid and ignorant of the political reality of the day.

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, it appears that the average hispanic voter already has Mitt's Number and it adds up to too little too late, we have all learned to recognize the chemeleon regardless of what it morphs into.....He can expect a well deserved drubbing from this constituency next November 6th!! You can always count on Mitt to be a consistent phony...

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Why don't politicians ever talk about the benefits of immigration? The US and the UK are on the way to serious brain drain, due to the decline in our standards of education, amongst other things. We've always needed new blood and the future is no exception.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hollie, you are exactly right - but not, I think, in the way you intended. America is a land of immigrants, and has achieved its greatness though  immigrants, but... brain drain??? do you think those sneaking across the borders in the darkness of night, following a "coyote" leader are the "brains" America needs to succeed?

And, note that I understand all that make those nighttime Mexico/US border incursions are not just Mexican or Latino.

I support the concept of the "Dream" legislative effort in regards to kids of illegal immigrants - but, come on, the law is the law. If we don't enforce immigration laws then why not just do away with borders?

GA

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've always believed that we should do away with borders. Which man has the right to tell another where they should travel? You very much underestimate Latino's, do you believe that a BA or Msc is the only the route to innovation and progress? You see, your country and mine are not that far apart.

Why is it, that when we're talking in another forum about food stamps, I was the first to mention that JP Morgan profits handsomely from that program, why do many US citizens not even know, or at least if they do Know, they don't talk about it, why? I'd bet ya a months salary that many immigrants *know* that this is the case. Above all else, this is what I mean about brain drain.

The US and the UK have become societies that are completely disconnected with reality, always willing to blame their neighbour, always infighting, whilst never looking at the causes.

Does that mean that you leave your doors unlocked and open when you leave home?

If a stranger wants to move in with you and have you support them in return for cutting the grass once a week do you invite them into your home?  Will you feed them, educate them, doctor them?  When those same strangers violate all your house rules will you still encourage them to bring their friends and relatives to join them in your home?

That's what you are advocating, it seems to me.

No it's not. Why, Wilderness, do you immediately associate immigrants with criminality, why do you immediately associate immigrants with menial workers who you have to support?

It may have escaped your attention, but I bet when you've needed medical attention you've received help from more than one immigrant/doctor/therapist/cleaner/janitor/receptionist.

It seems to me that those energies that so many people are willing to put into fighting and opposing very poor people who look for a reasonable (as in enough food to keep them alive)living, would be be better employed asking yourself how your country (and mine) could have left certain nations so desperate that they have to sneek through borders just to survive.

As I mentioned earlier, the discussion isn't about immigrants, it's about illegal aliens.

By definition illegal aliens are criminals, and although I've worked around hundreds of unskilled and semi-skilled illegal aliens over the years I have yet to see a really skilled one.  Hard working?  Most certainly.  Skilled?  Very seldom, and the reason is obvious.  The highly skilled worker in the US works a job that is not available in third world countries; their citizens do not have the opportunity or need to learn those skills.

Yes, I know very well that there are many highly skilled immigrants to the country.  Well trained, highly educated - they provide as much to the country as any other citizen.  There are also some that do not - political refugees mostly - but they, too are welcome as immigrants wishing to become a part of America. 

The illegals that come here, refuse to learn the language or assimilate into society, pay no taxes while absorbing huge amounts of welfare, medical and educational funding are not so welcome.

As far as leaving other nations desperate enough to sneak in, well, every time America "interferes" in another nations internal policies they are declared aggressors, war criminals and every other dirty name in the book.  Rightly so, in my opinion - the US has no right to set policies or make demands of nations as to how they treat their citizens.  You want to blame someone for third world nations and conditions - blame the governments and peoples of those nations, not the US or any other nation that has bootstrapped itself out of the abyss through hard work and very often bloodshed.

2. wilderness profile image95

No one is talking of immigrants, able to support themselves and wanting to become a citizen of their new country, but rather of millions upon millions of uneducated, illegal aliens.  Citizens of another country with no legal rights or desire to assimilate into the country they have invaded.

We'd be happy to ship all 10,000,000+ to Britain if you folks want to support them.

3. mio cid profile image60

Hollie, it has been proven that the economic benefits to the us economy after the Reagan amnesty was over a trillion dollars.

Which does not surprise me in the least!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)