I think I found a new addiction...

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Heather Tripp profile image69
    Heather Trippposted 11 years ago

So, I kinda accidentally stumbled across this website called webanswers. I know some of you guys use it because I came back here to learn more about it, and if it actually was all that everyone was saying.

I am now addicted to this site! I love it. And amazingly enough, I see earnings growing in my adsense account (something I wasn't seeing here- I seem to earn better through the ad program here). I only joined and started posting answers to question late on the 27th.

If you don't already have an account, I would totally recommend checking this out! This could be a great way to "take a break from Hubpages" or even help out when you get stuck on one of your hubs here.

I will definitely continue with both of these sites, because I have thoroughly enjoyed them!!

I am going to put a link to webanswers in my profile here. If you'd like to sign up under me, then thanks. Either way, check out this site!

Heather Trippposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oops, I don't think I did something right... Instead of showing a link on my profile, in the top right hand corner it says follow me, and has a little icon. When you click that it takes you to webanswers... Hmmm, that's not what I wanted.

2. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I joined WA recently, just on 2 September. I'm getting quite a kick out of it, for most of the reasons that you and others have posted in this thread:

- I have found wonderful "fodder" for longer articles and have several in the works because of my engagement with WA. I see this site as an excellent tool in the never-ending (for me) periods of writer's block.
      - I enjoy the challenge of answering questions I can with speed, depth, and accuracy and also those questions that need research (something I enjoy doing). It's much more relaxing, for me, to create a small piece of writing that suits a purpose than to go through the anxiety I sometimes experience in writing a longer article.
      - My AdSense earnings are better than they've ever been...the increase in AdSense was immediate and continues. I'm not talking mega-dollars, if that's ever possible--I haven't been there that long--but I've gone from zero or three cents a day on AS to sometimes over a couple of dollars, all due to WA.

I've found the WA community helpful and plan to engage more as time goes on. This site seems to be a worthwhile additional "basket" for my online work.

And YES, it is addicting. smile

Ha! I am typing this response to you via my iPhone as I drive to my kids school, where I will arrive atleast thirty minutes early and fully intend to use that time to answer questions on WA!!!! Addicting? I have no idea what you are talking about!!! :-)

3. ElSeductor profile image60
      ElSeductorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

webanswers.com is boring.

R

2. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I can already tell that this website is going to consume endless hours of my time...college students, beware!

LOL... I had nothing else to do with my time thanks to Hurricane Sandy. Glad to see you on there with me!

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I've answered well over 1000 questions on Webmasters and am lucky if I make $5 a month. Not desperately impressed, I must admit. The other problem is that even those pathetic earnings drop if you don't answer questions for several days.

Earnings were OK several months ago, but seem to be getting worse all the time now.

I find I am really enjoying this website just because I don't have to stay focused on one single subject for long. It takes me only a few minutes and I can move onto something else. From what I have read, your earnings do seem really low. Check out some of the hubs here from the other hubbers. And read about it on webanswers. :-)

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I follow all the quality criteria. Despite having answered mainly bot questions, my award to answer ratio is 14%, which I believe is quite good. Unlike many on the site, I write in grammatically correct English, with no spelling errors.

I write detailed answers to questions, which have not been answered previously. Of course, once I have made the effort to drag these out of the depths, other people come in and piggy back with answers of one or two sentences, which provide no additional information whatsoever.

Thus, I doubt there is much else I can do. I've stopped bothering with it much. Apart from anything else, I find it tedious to sort through the mass of semi-literate, inane questions that fill up so much of the site.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
          kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the simple answers go the furthest. People who ask stuff online are probably looking for quick, easy answers, and don't want to spend too much time on the details. But who knows? That's just what I'm looking for in an answer.

Heather I spent like 2 hours on that site last night. It's addicting! I don't care how much I get paid, it's super fun! Hell, I'd do it for free.

LOL Kathleen! I totally understand!! I signed up the other day, and ended up staying up until 1:00 am answering questions. I have a really short attention span, and this seems to work so much better for me because I don't have to focus on the same subject for long. I've had a blast with it. I've seen you have been very busy on the site too!

What I find ironic is that I can sit and write an answer to a question on webanswers, and then think to myself, wow, that would totally make a good hub on hubpages. This is a GREAT place to get ideas for hubs!! I am going to try turning some of my answers into hubs now I think!

Just got selected for my very first "best answer" and I admittedly got a little excited!

Although, the answer was about a bump on a cat's forehead, and my answer would be way too gross if expanded into hub-length. So I think I'll pass!

I actually read your answer there! LOL.. I am cyber stalking you (creepy huh?) LOL... But seriously though, I have answered 108 questions. Granted a lot of them couldn't be used as hubs, but a few could be turned into great hubs.

I actually just posted a hub on helping your child overcome grief, because I answered a question on the site. I didn't realize I could say so much about it until I posted my answer and realized it was article sized!! LOL

Yeah that's the reason I have like 19 Hubs. I was convinced that I had no ideas, whatsoever, for the longest time...Then I realized that I had ideas all around me, as I have pets, own a car, work, eat, struggle, succeed...people just need to learn to think past the "what's a good idea?" question in their heads if they really want to be able to write something. They need to look at their own lives, and especially in this kind of writing, need to learn to talk about themselves as if what they do and what they like is the best thing ever. Webanswers is a great place to start. So are the Forums on here. People ask something, you have something to share, and you have to convince them why your take on something is valid. This would probably make a great Hub, if I'm ever not too lazy to write.

4. profile image0
    Klavdija Frahmposted 11 years ago

Just made an account on webanswers big_smile I'm gonna try it, thanks for sharing smile

5. adjkp25 profile image89
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

I was on there a bunch but haven't been back for a while.  I have been more focused on writing and I guess I was burned out too.

I have been thinking about going back on the site but I just haven't done it yet.

I did receive a couple of payouts from my few months there so I know you can get compensated from your input.

6. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

I was making pretty decent on Webanswers and I also linked my hubs and blog post to my answers some times.  Traffic dropped so I haven't been posting to many answers.  I go on there mostly to ask questions now.

Its a good site and if you do manage to get a click the clicks seem to be higher paying clicks.  I got one for .45 so I asked and answered some more questions but traffic still down.

7. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

Don't worry. It might seem new and exciting now, but soon you'll only be left with a bad taste in your mouth and a smelly habbit that's really hard to break

kidding

8. CrisSp profile image71
    CrisSpposted 11 years ago

Sounds interesting though some says otherwise. Regardless, I'll go check that out and find out more. Thanks for sharing.

9. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

If I remember right, you can't even put a link in there. I haven't been paid by them either.

You can add links, but they have to be approved before the answer goes live.

So make sure they are legit!

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't get paid by them, you get paid by Adsense based on clicks. To see what you get from Webanswers set them up as a URL Channel in your Adsense account and then the earnings you receive from them will show as they come in day by day.

10. daisydayz profile image85
    daisydayzposted 11 years ago

I joined a while back and posted about 30 odd answers, most quite in depth but never got a best answer, realised half of them havent even awarded a best answer, even after months. I suppose people lose interest or find answer elsewhere. I may have a go again though when I have some time. i suppose its an interesting thing to do when you have a few spare minutes and not enough time for a whole hub. Good luck to you! You could actually write a hub on your experience as it progresses, so people can see the financial side a little?

Actually after digging around some, the majority of users say that they earn more from questions that never award answers, then they do from their awarded answers. If that makes sense... Sorry I am rushing!

11. Heather Tripp profile image69

I just did a quick hub about WebAnswers, not as in depth as I would like, but I plan on doing another one that actually tracks my earnings. I have seriously enjoyed this site. And my google impressions, clicks, and earnings have seriously more than doubled since I started on WA three days ago!

12. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 11 years ago

I've joined the site, it looks like good fun. There are a few things that confuse me though and I can't find answers on the site. So would love someone in the know to clarify a few things for me.

1. At what point does a 'best answer' get picked. I see some questions asked months ago that still don't appear to have a best answer. Is there any point in answering these questions.

2. If we don't get a best answer, is this a waste of time? Will our answers not be in a position to earn.

3. Should I only be looking to answer questions that have very recently been asked?

Any help muchly appreciated, cheers.

13. Heather Tripp profile image69

Hey Andyoz... I'm going to answer your questions for you...

1. It is up to the author of the question as to when they choose a best answer, and (as you have noticed) many people NEVER choose a best answer.

2. Most WA users will tell you that they make more money on answers that aren't "award Answers". When a question remains open (and the author never comes back to award an answer), then everyone goes into a rotation to make money off that page.

3. I have answered new questions and old questions alike, and have made great earnings off of both

Now, there is one thing you may want to think about... If a question has a lot of answers, and no awarded answer, if you add your answer to it, you can make earnings. But remember, you share the revenue generated from that page with everyone that answers, as well as the author of the question, so your earnings will be very small. So, you may want to try to answer questions that don't already have a lot of answers. But, sometimes, just having fun is important too!

Hopefully that helps you. As I stated earlier, I wrote up a hub. You may want to check it out, it has more information on the questions you asked here. ;-)

14. Heather Tripp profile image69

One more thing.. I signed up on the 27th for WA... it took me 24 hours to reach the 50 post limit so that I could link my Adsense account, so I didn't start earning until late the night of the 28th. As of right now, I have 128 answers, and 6 questions, and 4 awarded answers (Apparently that 4th one happened this morning, cause it was NOT there when I went to bed). I answer a lot of pet questions, and a lot of the "just for fun" questions. Really little BS things. My adsense earnings for yesterday was $2.78.

I joined hubpages on the 4th of October, and have seen my Adsense sit at $0.00 all month long. It didn't change until the morning of October 29th. (The morning after I linked my account to WebAnswers) Now it increases every day. And at a pretty quick rate too!! :-)

1. andyoz profile image87
      andyozposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply, very helpful, will go and read your hub as well.
      I just got my first awarded answer as well, yay for me

Ok, which Hub is it? I'm struggling to find which one your are referring to.

Um.. its the only one I have about webanswers.. LOL.. I just wrote it yesterday, so it's still pending. Maybe that's why you can't find it. How about if you go to my profile.. maybe it would be there? I have no idea, can you tell? LOL... and congrats on your first award!

Found it thanks, it wasn't on your profile page but found it through your recent activity. An interesting read, will have to see how I go on on the site. Cheers for the help, Andy

15. Tricia1000 profile image64
    Tricia1000posted 11 years ago

I noticed that there are so many unawarded questions.  To have 50 best awarded answers before you can start earning is a lot especially since some people who ask questions do not bother to come back to award best answer.

1. Tealparadise profile image82
      Tealparadiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tricia - I don't know why they say you need 50 awarded.  Really you just need 50 period.  I just hit 51 and applied and was accepted to combine my Adsense with it.  I have only 2 awarded so far because I sped through to get the 50 asap.

1. Tricia1000 profile image64
        Tricia1000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification, because to have 50 awarded answers will take a very long time.

1. Tricia1000 profile image64
          Tricia1000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Irrespective I will be deleting my account there for two reasons.1) I read too many reports about Google Adsense accounts being disabled because of this site.  2) I checked out the site's statistics in terms of traffic, reputation, ranking, etc and I was not impressed.

16. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

I'd be wary of Webanswers.  I've read reports by people whose Adsense accounts got disabled shortly after starting with WA. If you see how it's set up, you'll notice that you don't have absolute control over the content of the pages where your ads might appear.  People can post answers that violate Google Adsense's content guidelines and they might stay published for a while before a mod removes it.  It's not like on Hubpages where you can control the content of your hubs and swiftly delete inappropriate answers to your questions.

Oh dear, this has seriously worried me!  Is this true?  I don't want to risk loosing my Adsense account, it would end most of my earnings online!

Ok, I've just been looking for any evidence that this might be true, not found anything. There were reports last year of lots of Webanswers members getting their Adsense accounts banned, but these were all members from countries such as India, Pakistain, Philipines Etc....  That's something that had little or nothing to do with Webanswers content.
        Can you back this last post up with some evidence? I am nearly at 50 answers so am about ready to link my adsense account. Want to know it's not going to be a huge mistake first!

I haven't seen or heard a single thing linking WA to Adsense accounts being deleted. As I am a closet nerd, I read the %&$!) out of everything! Lol

17. Tealparadise profile image82
    Tealparadiseposted 11 years ago

Hmm.... looks like you also get paid to ASK the questions!  Once you award an answer, that person gets all the income, but until then you are also in rotation???  Not sure if I'm reading correctly.

Get paid to ask questions...
    Most people agree that leaving them open is best...
    Everyone including asker makes money while they are open....

This is win-win to me.  I'm off to ask some highly SEO relevant questions LOL.

18. profile image50
    Nevioposted 11 years ago

I'm not really a big fan of webanswers!  It's too boring.  I did find http://www.blowupmyphone.com pretty useful!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)