Romney humiliation complete; Looks like he lost Florida EC now 332-206

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 11 years ago

Looks like the landslide in favor of Romney has turned out to be more of s*it storm. They say that if water could run uphill.... They all told me this election would model the one in 1980 between Carter and Reagan, but it reminds me more of what happened in 1996 between Dole and Clinton.

Your thoughts?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no humiliation in trying your best to achieve something, especially something very, very few people ever achieve - or even attempt.  And I'm not even a Republican.  They never know how these things will turn out no matter what the predictions are.

Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kathleen, the loss appears to be something that has caught the GOP totally blind sighted as to what it was that the people wanted. It is time for a reassessment by the GOP as to their future in coming years

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
          Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are certainly right about that.  GOP has only won a popular vote once in the last six elections for president  Time to reflect and regroup.

2. bgamall profile image67
        bgamallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, don't worry, he is humiliated. The Republican Party is too radical, too unwilling to compromise, even with the Russians. Romney wanted a new cold war. He deserves humiliation because he was led astray by the right wing media predicting his victory.

1. The Suburban Poet profile image83
          The Suburban Poetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What kind of person makes fun of an American who is tough on the Russians? Do you trust Putin? If you do it just goes to show that you are too naive to be taken seriously.

1. Josak profile image60
            Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a big difference between not trusting Putin and creating hostile relationships with the third most powerful nation on earth, one is logical the other is stupid, Romney did the second.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
              Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true. And Romney said that Russia is our greatest enemy. Very dumb.

2. e-five profile image93
            e-fiveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7351350_f248.jpg

1. Josak profile image60
              Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great now I've sprayed coffee everywhere tongue big_smile

3. bgamall profile image67

You don't understand. The US and Russia have a balance of power through mutually assured destruction. Therefore, the missile shield is an act of war because it shifts that balance towards the US. Putin has no choice but to destroy the missile shield or launch WW3 before it is built.

You have been brainwashed by a very dangerous right wing of neocons. Even Pat Buchanan, the racist, fears upsetting the Russian Bear. And he has been around a long time.

I'm not brainwashed but nice try. The Russians only understand power and they would LOVE it if you were sitting across the table from them... but that's fine; we have our opinions. It's all a matter of negotiation anyway and if you think a public pronouncement is how it would be behind closed doors then I think you are not thinking it through. You have to have a bargainning power for whatever it is that you want.

Interesting that you think I'm brainwashed but you are the one who brought up WWIII. Interesting.

Oh... and you are quoting Buchanan? Nice....

1. bgamall profile image67

Who is fighting all the damn wars right now? The Russians? I didn't think so.

Take your head out of the Republican fog.

Shades of Dr. Strangelove!  <snipped>

Yes, it obviously was a favorite movie of Mike Myers as well. smile

2. donotfear profile image83
          donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"My, My, arent' we FULL of Christian love!??"

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4919701118714361&amp;pid=1.7&amp;w=119&amp;h=146&amp;c=7&amp;rs=1

3. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, there is no humiliation in trying something and not getting right, but there sure is something humiliating about being so cocksure that you're going to win that you don't even write a speech if you have to conceded, and there is something humiliating about assuring everybody you're going to win because you're so full of yourself, and then you don't.

1. profile image0
          SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Every politician, everywhere, assures everyone they are gong to win prior to an election. Every single solitary one. What do you expect them to do? Come out and be like, "well, we probably won't win but ...go out and vote for me!". Get a grip. As for not having a concession speech ready, he did a heck of a job then. Both sides agree it was one of the best concession speeches, and very gracious, that they'd ever heard.

1. LucidDreams profile image63
            LucidDreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

After more then an hour, Romney and his counter parts come up with a concession speech. I am somewhat surpised he even came out. Most politicians are bought before they even run for office and Romney was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear. You can't have a platform when you change your mind each time someone asks a hard question.

1. profile image0
              Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think we can conclude Romney is either the quintessential sleazy politician, or the most indecisive person on the planet.  Either option means he would've made a bad president tongue.

2. kathleenkat profile image83
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't really remind me of that election, no. Romney gained a very large percentage of the popular votes, as did Obama (just slightly more).

I suppose that's why few saw him losing by so much. But that's what the EC does.

Yeah, Kat, that is certainly one way to look at this...

3. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Despite the overwhelming electoral vote numbers, the head-count was close. Or closer than I thought it would be. Maybe Romney and supporters thought it would be like Carter and Reagan. But it wasn't like Dole vs Clinton either.

We have a name for that sort of self-delusion; hubris.

In truth Romney started seriously behind in funding. He did not have the necessary infrastructure in the key swing states and he lost all but one of them. His numerous gaffs weren't terribly inspiring either.

Reagan, on the other hand, was a personality who exuded confidence every time the camera was put on him.

As of now the Republican party wonks are going on and on about the obvious mistakes. None of the "mistakes" they are naming are all that obvious and the only real mistake is a complete and utter detachment from the majority of people living in this country.  You can no longer pander to middle-aged white men and expect to win a majority.

And being a middle-aged white man I did not vote for Romney. I prefer to see all of the people living here treated like equals.

The Grand Old Party continues to suffer from that delusion, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The best snake-oil salesperson among them will be able to talk him or herself into a lucrative campaign job in late 2013.

2. KK Trainor profile image59
    KK Trainorposted 11 years ago

Sorry but that is a stupid comparison. Dole won only 159 electoral votes. Clinton 379. Wider margin. Stupid comparison. How about you try running for President and see how you do?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ann Romney! We've missed you!
      "Stop it. This is hard. You wanna try it?"
      lol

2. Credence2 profile image78

KK, you never know I just might run for president, I gotta do better than 90 percent of the clowns the GOP put forth. The point is that Obama's success is closer to that of Clinton than that of Bush in 2004, 2000 and can be hardly be considered 'close'. To think otherwise, now that is stupid!

1. kathleenkat profile image83

I highly recommend you remove all traces of yourself from the internet, then.

The media are bloodsuckers, and will seek out every thing you ever said, ever, and twist it against you. But only if you become famous by running for office. You and I are safe, as nobodies.

I was being facetious, Kat, I do not have the qualifications to run for the nation's highest office. Since the media has been relentless based on dollars spent from both sides, the winner comes down to who can manipulate it more effectively as in this 21st century this kind of phenomenon is not going away

I'm not being facetious when I say this: Your comment was one of the most rational I've read in this entire election cycle.

Thanks, SP!

2. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Qualifications necessary for DC:

strong desire for power
            strong desire for money
            strong desire to control the lives of others
            willingness to sell your soul, forsaking all ethics and morals, to get those  things.
            A strong sex drive seems to help, but is probably not absolutely necessary.

3. LiamBean profile image79

I don't think it's a stupid question. In this day of memes as information comparisons like this (Dole vs Clinton or Carter vs Reagan) actually displays a bit more respect to the reader.

This has been perhaps the most well funded, contentious race in a hundred years. That anyone survived the "shake-out" without having a complete break-down testifies to the excellent test running for the presidential office actually is.

This perhaps the only thing I can respect Romney for.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I'm not seeing an update of the EC in my Google search.
    Is it official?

1. KK Trainor profile image59
      KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was conceded this afternoon by Romney's people.

'Obama leads Romney 49.9 percent (or 4,180,697 votes) to 49.24 percent (or 4,124,865 votes)—a margin of 55,832 votes—with more than 97 percent of the vote counted.'

What a landslide!!

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

Well, we were all nice to each other for a few minutes.

5. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 11 years ago

I did not vote for Romney and frankly couldn't stand him.  But I want to give him credit for something.  He and his staff have been dignified in defeat.  He staffers sent amazingly gracious tweets/facebook posts, etc, after the loss.  Romney, which giving what must have been a difficult concession speech, has been gracious in defeat thus far.  Makes me think maybe he is not such a bad guy after all.

Now only if some of his supporters can do the same.  The President won, plain and simple.  That means something.  Republicans need to pull it together.  Hopefully the Kemp/Dole Republicans can gain control and try to govern.  Disagreement is a good thing.  Obstruction is not.  And there are big issues coming up that can only get fixed together.  I hope they take note of Mr. Romney and his staff actions and rise to their level.

I'm sure both men are good men; good parents; good husbands... they are not anywhere near the disparaging remarks that are thrown their way. That is why I get so frustrated with the extremists on both sides. These men are incredibly accomplished; incredibly disciplined; incredibly smart. BOTH of them. They are a credit to the nation and it's a shame that we have to have such a wide divide between THE PEOPLE.

1. Doodlehead profile image47
        Doodleheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With all their brains neither understands or appreciates the brilliance of our Constitution.   I want someone who understands the wisdom of the founders of our country.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well someone on his staff wasn't so gracious to those closest to his campaign... On the ride home after the election, the campaign staffers that were given a campaign credit card found out that the cards had been cancelled...  I'd like to think that it wasn't Romney who did this, but someone on his staff was counting the losses within hours of the election:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/helaineolen … the-night/

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have heard that repeatedly today. Ouch!
        Perhaps it is SOP for campaigns to shut down on a dime (no pun intended).
        But, given the extraordinary financial resources of this particular candidate, it seems particularly harsh to shut off credit cards in the middle of the night.
        Message to staffers, "Thanks for nothing."

Gotta wonder, though. DId Romney  pay for the fireworks show he had lined up over Boston harbor, even though the celebratory fireworks were not deployed?
        roll

1. livewithrichard profile image72

Cutting off the credit cards is a no-brainer but let them at least get home first.  I'm sure they worked their butts off, and they were certainly physically, possibly emotionally, exhausted.

2. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pathetic really, and telling of the kind of person Romney is.

1. livewithrichard profile image72

I wouldn't place the blame on Romney for this... I'm certain he had other things going through his mind at the time.  This had to be the act of an overzealous staffer... thinking about all the yet unpaid bills... but still, with the size of that bankroll they collected it seems very petty.

3. profile image0
      DMartelonlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

^ I concur! This I thought was very big of his staffers, they were extremely gracious.  If only some of the putrid posts we've seen on other threads were so gracious <sigh>.

I supported neither major candidate (even though I'm from a true blue state).  My vote doesn't count anyway <grin>

1. tammybarnette profile image61
        tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard anyone say that, I constantly complain that I live in the blood red state of TN...maybe we should trade houses,lol smile

4. LiamBean profile image79

I would prefer that the Republican NOT pull it together. We need a new socially liberal, fiscally conservative party. Too many crazy zealots have taken over the GOP.

6. Doodlehead profile image47
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

Romney cheated his way through the primaries.   He was not the choice of the Republicans.  He forced himself on the Republicans and remained "pure" even though he colluded with the RNC all the way to cheat the other Republican candidates.   

Romney deserves defeat.   I am not an Obama supporter.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

Here's a link to a great video on Fox News coverage of the election:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 … _ref=false

8. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Why can't you be happy for Obama instead of trashing the losers? Tell about what he plans for the country, and that will make everyone  happy.

I thought Romney gave a quite eloquent and generous concession speech and Obama an eloquent acceptance speech. I don't think Romney is an evil man. He was caught between the Tea Party wing of the GOP and a majority of the American people. He couldn't connect with both.

Well, Bain capital may have colluded to drive prices down on the companies they "rescued". So, I don't concur that he is not evil. I think he is. He comes across as a nice guy, but Condi Rice comes across as a nice lady. That doesn't mean she isn't evil.

1. profile image0
          SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The First Pooch seems like a nice doggie, but that doesn't mean he isn't a werewolf. I think he might be.

smh

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Okay. Bain was pretty ruthless under Romney. And I'm not a fan of Condolezza.

9. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

May the next four years bring the two parties and the American people closer together, forgetting anger, embracing compassion and working for the good of the country.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Ours is not to reason why....

http://kimgarst.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/blame-game_design2.png

lol lol lol

11. Doodlehead profile image47

For Republicans, check out the Liberty Caucus of the Republican Party.   Their platform is the US CONSTITUTION!

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure I see anything particularly gracious in waiting an hour and a half before offering his concession speech.  They were in total disbelief that they had lost.  Even Fox News couldn't believe they had delivered the news correctly, which is kind of ironic in itself.

Here's a great graphic of Election 2012 with numbers and facts from the Tampa Bay Times.

1. kathleenkat profile image83

He waited until results were in and polls were closed for ALL states, including Alaska and Hawaii. At 8pm Pacific time, it was determined that Obama had won...however, that was just the polls being closed in my state, and California/Oregon. It was assumed that WA/CA/OR would be blue, yet 0% of the votes were actually reported at that time (I was looking at WA live, it took almost an hour to report any percentage of the votes to CNN and Huffington Post).

I guess I will be forever baffled as to why people on Hubpages seem to think they know so much about Mitt Romney.

Which Mitt Romney are you referring to?

1. tammybarnette profile image61
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

13. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

It's final Florida announced that Obama is the winner and gets all 29 of Florida's 29 electoral votes. Result 332 to 206 for Obama. This puts the GOP in a deep hole. It will be interesting to see whether they are smart enough to stop digging.

14. Doodlehead profile image47

Ralph---you know they aren't smart enough to stop digging.   They have been digging since the fifties.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)