The Unofficial Be-Nice-To-HP Thread

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

@HP Just wanted to say thanks. smile

If anyone else has something positive to say about our adventures here, this is the place. big_smile

1. Gitridomi profile image57
      Gitridomiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not only adorable...
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4710128_f260.jpg
        I'm also cute and fuzzy.

Btw, whether you are nice or mean to HP. It won't move that payment amount 1 cent either way from what it's supposed to be. Tough town, the internet...

2. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is so sweet. I was browsing the forums and was purposely looking for something positive when I saw your post. I like it. I think it's refreshing. I have a positive comment to share and this is the place where I hope people won't get indignant and start name calling, like they do in the religious and political forums (I'm staying out of those for peace of mind).

Anyway, the thing I enjoy about HubPages is that I do get a paycheck at the end of each month. I look forward to them and hope they keep coming. I can't complain about that. The only sucking up I'm doing these days is sucking up money. Go HubPages!

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. Everywhere I turn, everything is negative, negative, negative. In addition to everything else, that can actually be bad for one's mental health. I've also become a firm believer in no longer watching the evening news. As for the political and religion forums, I've been showing up there, but I'm going to do my best to stop doing that. I'll go do hub research instead. Or take a well-deserved nap. big_smile

1. MarleneB profile image91
          MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my stress level has gone way down since I decided to stay out of the heated forums. Now, I actually enjoy my time spent in forums. In every forum, there is always one or two people who just can't help being negative, but they are not as brutal as the ones in the religious and polital forums. I also stay away from religious and political questions. Life at HP is better now.

2. phdast7 profile image82
        phdast7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just a thought.  I noticedt that you and several other Hubbers mentioned the negative hubbers, the complainers, and why they seem to dominate HP.  My experience has been that the negatives and complainers cluster in the Forum pages and particulalry, as you pint out, certain forums.   They really are not at all a representative sampleof Hubbers.

Many of us don't ever visit the forums.  Many hubbers occasionally visit the calmer, more enjoyable forums, and some people are drawn to conflict and heat and they appear in the negative, complainy forums....but let's all realize that they are a noisy minority, not the pretty happy with HP majority.   smile

3. Camille Harris profile image87
        Camille Harrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One thing I love is how helpful you all are. We aren't around 24/7 and can't always address issues right as they occur, so we sincerely appreciate you looking out for one another and the site.

Thank you for everything you do for HubPages. We couldn't do this without you!

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
          Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Camille, its great to have a thread where hubbers interact with staff in a positive way.  Often the poor staff end up having to defend themselves against a barrage of unjust criticism.  We love you all (most of the time!) and appreciate the great job you are doing! smile

3. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years ago

*shrug*  I make money here.  I (usually) enjoy the forums.  I appreciate the ease of writing a good looking hub. 

And if understanding and being willing to work within HP's efforts to build a business on the "new" internet makes me a suck up, so be it.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Maestrony8 profile image60
        Maestrony8posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7369896.jpg

4. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 11 years ago

I have been writing on Hubpages for 6 years and I intend to be writing here for as long as I can. Hubpages is the best site on the Internet for writers.
      I thank you for starting this thread paradigmsearch it is about time Hubpages staff got some nice karma for a change.....jimmy

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
        Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said Jimmy - I've been here 5 years and we've had our ups and downs but I'm still making money and the staff here are honest and do their best to make sure we all keep on earning!  The grass usually isn't greener elsewhere so I'm continuing to stick around! smile

5. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Well I have named my dog "Hubpages Rules", OK maybe not.

Like many people on HP, while I can be frustrated with what goes on here sometimes, I know that everything they do is aimed at improving the business, traffic to the site and ultimately my earnings. I thank them very much for that - prior to HP I was earning less than $50 a year - now I am making payout every month.

Over time I beleive that HP and the other writers have been very influential on the way I write and I hope that the standard of Hub I create is far better than it was when I joined three years ago.

OK, off to write my 'Ten Ways to look like Justin Bieber' hub.....

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
      LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

HubPages. is the easiest site to navigate, the staff usually respond to queries pretty soon, I make more here that on any other site, some authors have been discovered here, the forums are really cool and I love the interaction....lets see what else?........I like the little badges.......and off course....I'm addicted to the place........tongue

7. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I like a lot of things about HP - the software, the people, the community.

I also like the way I have been given a nudge to remove the quirky, humorous, pointless content that means nothing to the search engines.  Seriously.  I have now deleted well over 100 pages of garbage and am now moving what I regard as my decent stuff - the stuff that isn't trafficked, doesn't need editing, and is of no use to anyone.

I don't have a problem with that.  It will sit in a dusty corner of the net and one day I will hate it all anyway.

Then I will refocus on the HP style content, the right kind of blog content, and website content - and thanks to the lessons I learned here... maybe I'll make some money.

8. ThompsonPen profile image65
      ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I think it's odd that so many people are a part of HP and yet complain about it. If they don't like it, then don't be a part of it. I personally like it. I like th community as some one said early, I'm not trying to make a fortune so the money doesn't bother me, and I like the set up. I have looked at other similar sites and they intimidate me. Perhaps I just like HP because it is comfortable, and I just don't know where else to write. But I like that I have some where I can get my writing seen, and I like that it is seen, and I like the hub scores mainly as it helps to school me.
      I'm not an article writer, I'm a story writer. But Hubpages has opened my eyes to writing articles, and made me realize they're not as terrifying as they seem. I enjoy it.
      Thanks Hubpages for coaching me on my writing! And thank you for providing a supporting community

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's all part of the HubPages philosophy - at least, it used to be.  When I first joined HubPages, Hubbers were encouraged to give their feedback, good and bad, on how the site worked.  The founders were often active in those forum discussions.  Many aspects of the site were improved as a result.  I think it's one of the reasons Hubbers were so loyal - we felt our concerns were always listened to. Criticism was never silenced, because through criticism, shortcomings could be identified and improvements made.

All that changed after the Great Panda Update of 2011, but many of us can't let go of the hope that HubPages management may still listen to us from time to time.   So if we see decisions being made that we believe will hurt the site, we want to speak out.

9. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I've learnt loads at HP and I like the community, even the ones that I wrestle with in the political forum. I will be writing here again soon, but at the moment I've got too much other work on. I might a be woman but I'm useless at multitasking.

10. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I am a Hubber and generally happy with HP.  But I think the idea that you should never give a negative critique is odd too. There should be a sensible middle ground.

One of the things I like about HP is that don't over-react to negative feedback.  Today.com used to do that. (I got banned there).  Today.com, by the way, is no longer with us. I don't think thin skin goes with good business sense, in most cases.

11. vespawoolf profile image92
      vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

I've also had a great experience. I hadn't done any online writing prior to joining in January of this year, and HP gave me the confidence and know-how to get started. The community is so supportive and I enjoy reading many high-quality hubs and learning in the process. My earnings have dropped in the past weeks, but that's life. I also prefer to look at the positive instead of the negative. That's what keeps me going. Thank you for starting an upbeat thread!

12. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I used to love HubPages and I still have a soft spot for it, even though I don't write here any more.  I will always be grateful to a group of Hubbers who taught me almost everything I know about writing online - or showed me the right resources to learn.

No other rev-sharing site has a community to match HubPages.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As someone who has received loads of good advice here, Marissa. I think it's fair to say that you, and a number of others, have taken your time to answer questions and give the benefit of your experience. I always take that advice, it's free, valuable and I would probably have thrown in the towel a long time ago had it not been for those hubbers who are always ready to answer questions and help.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Aw shucks, I'm just an amateur compared to some of the amazing internet entrepreneurs who used to make HubPages their home.  But I do my best!

13. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years ago

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42924000/jpg/_42924117_noseaward203.jpg
      Now there's an Accolade for ya. big_smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice.

14. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

I'm up for giving some compliments to HP staff - and to other hubbers.

HP staff have a lot to deal with, when you consider that they need to keep up with a 24-hour service and who knows how many members. I used to work as a computer analyst. I know how people can get nasty and negative when they can't get their tasks done on a computer. It's like a form of road rage. So people can be seriously lacking in appreciation for the hours of planning and programming. They can also take the results of a lot of hard work for granted. 

So I appreciate you, HP staff! Even though all of the twists and turns on Panda highway and Penguin road have made me doubt at times what I'm doing and whether or not I'm on the right course, I know you work hard, and I do appreciate your efforts.

I also appreciate the HP community, and the generosity hubbers show to each other when someone needs help or when a shared tip can put someone on the right path. Hubbers are the best! (Well, outside of the religion and political forums  smile   )

15. ixwa profile image78
      ixwaposted 11 years ago

Well, since I joined Hub Pages, I have been able to write my head-off- literally! HP has given me a chance to experiment with many topics and ideas, and I have asked question and gotten some answers and accolades for it. I have tried to deal with other blogs on the Web, but so far, I think HP is a place for writers and grown ups(so to speak).

It is also amazing how Hubbers are free-giving with advice if one asks, and I like the advices because I think one would be hard-pressed to get that kind of feedback in some sites. The staff is great, although used-to be that they take time to respond(here on HP) they eventually do, and for me, that is somewhat encouraging and motivational- i.e., knowing that there is a 'live' person on the end of the production line(or should I say publishing line) who takes care of ones concerns and answers some questions. But most of all, I like that there is not limit to how long one can write, or pursue a topic. thanks for being there to help me get the writer in me out here on the viral stream, HP!

16. LauraVerderber profile image91
      LauraVerderberposted 11 years ago

I really enjoy writing on here. Hubpages matches my interests and I have found many articles and fellow writers that are a delight. I was always told that artists and writers could never make money so I was going to school for a 'normal' job. The fact that I can make a bit on here is encouraging. It gives me an excuse to write, even if I certainly can't make a living off of it, but it's fun and a great stress reliever.

17. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

So far, I've not made a penny...well, I've made a few, but never reached payout.  That said, the community is awesome, I've made new friends, I've written a few things that were well received, and learned a LOT about what I want to write in the future.

I have no complaints.

smile

1. Maestrony8 profile image60

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7369880_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

That is patently obvious.  I'm grateful that I've not yet wasted enough time to create 20+ new accounts just to harass those who sincerely participate in the community.

smile

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
            R W Emerson

1. profile image0

Well, then thank goodness my consistency isn't foolish!

And, the truth shall set you free.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7369906_f248.jpg

18. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

When all the blizzards of static, the trials and tribulations of Google, the inevitable glitches and errors, the social media website interactions, all of it...; are looked through...; the bottom line is that HP has acted in good faith through all of it.

I'm going to go and examine all my punctuation mistakes of the above now... Actually, are there any (?), and if so, how many (?), and what are they (?); and by-all-means, include this sentence in your analysis. And not just grammar/punctuation rules, but train-of-thought communication as well.

In fact, rewrite the critter if so warranted. I'd really like to know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)