I never met an atheist I didn't like.

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Most of my fans know that I am not one to venture into the religion forums. Well, they know what happened to for doing so. I do sneak in for a peek now and again to observe the ongoing row and chuckle at the many comments that I read. I must say tough that I have never known an atheist that isn't full of humor. I have a sister-in-law that is one and we get along just fine. We just don't discuss religion or politics. I do love her too. She is great fun too.
    Now to the point of this thread, why can't we just all get along? I can't convince any one in any deity or afterlife if one chooses to not believe. But I can still get along with them and love them for being human. I can even humor them with tales and jokes and they laugh just like a believer does. Don't they also bleed and weep?
    Now for my unbelieving friends, just read one of my hubs on My Flying Walrus and see what you think. If you like you can go on and read about my return to the City of Lesbos. You see, I am living proof in afterlife. Read and see if I am not proof of a spiritual afterlife, then judge me for what I am. I dare you. You may even enjoy it. I may not convert you, but I'm not trying to. I like you the way you are. So don't change my friends, we need you too among us.

2. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I have met people from many religions and lack there of that I didn't particularly like, but that doesn't mean we can't get along. smile Life is full of people we won't always agree with; but, not liking someone is not an excuse for treating them disrespectfully. 

Ralwus, I agree.  No atheist is going to sway me from my beliefs with arguments on a forum, and I really doubt I could convince an atheist (or religious person) of another viewpoint on a forum.

3. Garrett McLee profile image41
    Garrett McLeeposted 14 years ago

I respect everyone who respects me.

Unfortunately the Atheists I know push anti-God on me as much as the Christians I know push God on me.

1. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, Garrett.  My experience as well.
      Q.

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Charlie, I read them both, and then some others, and enjoyed all of them - long ago smile

5. apeksha profile image66
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

God gives justice to only bad people so no longer I believe on God..

6. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Met a lot of atheists I dont like. Met a lot of 'religious people' I dont like.

7. profile image0

Oh gee! thanks guys for all the good will. See, it works. LOL the door swings both ways. Misha, yer too cool my friend. Now off to another good day.

8. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Great post! I don't fall in the "religious" category, nor am I an atheist so it's nice to know I don't have to join a side and take up arms against the other one. big_smile

9. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

I thought plugging your hubs in a forum was a violation of The HubPages Doctrine.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dint link for that reason, and really this is tongue in cheek you see. All in good humor. Misha knows, he's the Man and very well experienced in these matters.
      I just want to sort of get peoples opinions on this subject is all. Appreciate all comments too. thanks

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

It's a bit tricky nicomp. Until you understand the nuances, you are better off not plugging smile

Basically two major things are taken into consideration - the purpose of the post and the reputation/post history of the poster. smile

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you speaking for HubPages?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sort of. Just been here long enough to know the ropes. smile Maddie will correct me if I am wrong smile

11. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

I get along fine with people both sides of the atheism/God divide.  I don't care who believes or not.  That isn't what defines them as a person.

12. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

It is a simple matter of respecting all beliefs; even if that belief is non-belief.  Believers should not try to force their ways on others and non-believers should not come off with a smug and superior attitude.  It is all a matter of respect.

1. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

exactly and that's just exhibiting good manners.

13. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

With so many beliefs abounding throughout the world, I have come to the conclusion that none of them can be completely right as each belief is different from the others in certain ways - then again, one of them could be right, meaning my soul is in turmoil for not choosing the right one ... which brings me to this assessment.

If God exists and wants me to be a believer, he'll tell me which is the right religion to follow, and not send some other human to me door to act as his representative.

With that said, I treat all people with respect, do good deeds, and I do it all because ... wait for it ... because it's the civil thing to do and I enjoy making other people happy.

Now, if that winds me up with a bad afterlife, I intend to phone my lawyer and voice over with the 'powers to be' over this contract of life I was never allowed to read.

And before someone says ... the Bible is your contract ... take a moment to google how many versions of the Bible there are. If I don't know which religion is totally right, then how do I know which Bible is right?

Come on people ... do we really need a higher power to tell us to behave? Or, perhaps, is it possible we have grown enough as a species to actually do the right thing on our own, without the threat of a horrible afterlife hung over our heads.

Oddly enough, I have yet to have someone come up to me and say ... oooh, you did a good thing, you're going to Heaven for that ... you better stop.

What does this say for Satan? Well, for all of the followers he supposedly has, they don't network very well to find followers. Not only that ... where's his book? I mean, isn't there an anti-bible somewhere?

Seriously ... what's wrong with the concept of evolving to become better people out of choice, rather than fear? and before the band strikes up the march of how they do not fear their God, I would then ask them, why should I fear him?

I think we all need to open our eyes and realize we are all part of a great experiment ... can we truly evolve beyond our chaotic and destructive instincts? If not ... well ... then our grandchildren shall inherit nothing, as we will (given time) destroy the only world we know of which is capable of harboring life as we know it.

So, am I am atheist, and agnostic, or a believer? Actually, I'm all three.

I do not believe in the same God everyone else does, but I do believe we all contain within the power to do good or evil (an omni-presence shared by all, if that makes sense).

As such, I hold a trinity of my own. smile

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Ramen smile

15. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Yoshi97, that was well said!  I'm in total agreement with you!  That would make a good hub.  smile

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

While what I said might make a great hub, I'm not so certain it's one I could write. For you see, my beliefs are all about allowing everyone to decide for themselves, without intervention.

For me to expound my own beliefs in answer to a question ... I see that as expressing my own personal view I have chosen for myself. To write a hub around it ... that teeters on the edge of grandstanding. After all, what I would be doing then? Creating a 'Church of Yoshi?

haha!

No, I think I will abstain on that one, as I haven't much to offer any followers other than a thank you for being a kind and benevolent human being.

My message is one of hope, where we can all stop being sheep who blindly follow their shepherd, and instead, decide for ourselves (individually) which path suits us best.

This is why I become so frustrated by those who spout off religious verses to prove their way is the only way to believe, as well as those who argue against them that there is no God. If you have a good thing going then there is no need to defend it or promote it, and this applies to all sides of the argument (debate, discussion, however you chose to see it).

After all, when we were kids, did anyone have to recite to us how good the ice cream would taste at the fair?

We knew what ice cream was and already had our favorite flavors sorted out through our own experiences. We walked up to that ice cream stand (dragging mom or dad with us) and asked for the flavor we wanted (practically demanded it, as I remember).

That's how your beliefs should be. No one should convert anyone ... we should all taste the flavors and decide for ourselves what tastes best ... and allow others to do the same. We should not force chocolate on someone who prefers strawberry, no more than we should demand a person who is lactose intolerant to have a double scoop of vanilla.

That's why I can't see writing a hub on this one, as I believe I would be, in doing so, asking many people to try different flavors and chose for themselves, when in fact some already picked the one they want and don't care to try any others.

It's the ability to make choices and understand their meaning that puts man before beast, and when the few try to make choices for the many ... well ... we become those sheep in the pasture, mindlessly led as if we were incapable ourselves.

So, once again I have bloviated far too long on my view, but only to iterate a point ... why should not fester over the choices of others, when we should be enjoying the taste of our own? smile

16. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

I'm an Atheist and I also wonder why we "all can't just get along".  I get along great with my family (they are all believers), if not for any other reason than the simple fact that we all try to live our lives by the same basic tenant...live and let live, and do unto others...

I don't go around throwing my non-belief down their throats, nor do they try to toss their beliefs in my direction.  We all agree to disagree on the point of religiosity, and it doesn't matter because, from a societal standpoint, we want the same things.

Isn't that the really important issue?

17. profile image0

Oh you all have done well. I commend you. See, we basically all want the same thing in life, some choose to believe in a deity while others do not. I guess it is like choosing a different flavor of ice cream isn't it? I prefer vanilla, and don't condemn me for my choice. Sometimes I add a flavor or two, maybe some nuts (plenty of them to go round) or fruits (ditto) but I generally stick with my first choice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)