Do you interlink your hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. wowtgp profile image61
    wowtgpposted 10 years ago

After creating 15 hubs, I think it's the right time to start interlinking related hubs to each other. I was wondering, how many fellow hubbers interlink their hubs? Have you experienced a boost in traffic and/or earnings? What's the best method of doing it?

1. WalterPoon profile image67
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did link but since I am only 6 weeks with HubPages and only have 17 hubs, it's too early to tell.

Wowtgp, did you get my email?

wowtgpposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haven't checked it yet. Going to check now.

2. wowtgp profile image61

Unfortunately I haven't got your mail.

I sent it via reply to rp.rahulparashar6 at gmail.com, with my edit attached. I did it immediately after I received your post yesterday.

I saw it. Thank you for taking your precious time out to respond. I am really grateful to you.

Is English your native language?

Not my a long shot, LOL. I'm Chinese but I can't write Chinese. A new generation of bananas: yellow on the outside, white on the inside. So if I can do it, so can you! Actually, your English is not bad. Just polish it a little, and you will be fine.

Yeah, this is what I am working on.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, absolutely.  The design of HubPages encourages readers to browse around the site as a whole, not stay within your sub-domain - so if you don't interlink, people are likely to read just one or two of your Hubs, then move on.

You can put links in the body of your text, but I find the best way is to create a right-floated links capsule with a tinted background so it stands out.

QUOTE: " I find the best way is to create a right-floated links capsule with a tinted background so it stands out."

Marisa, thanks for the tips. So do we still need to group our hubs?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Absolutely.

@Marisa
        How do you do that?

3. Ceres Schwarz profile image40
        Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips. Where would you put that right-floated links capsule? Somewhere in the middle of your hub or at the very end?

And do you think it's also all right if the links capsule isn't floated to the right? What I've been doing so far is adding a links capsule at the very end of my hub but it's not right-aligned. If you right-align the links capsule, wouldn't it look too text heavy to the right side? Or do you not include a description to the links? Should we include descriptions or not? Also, how many links would you suggest we include in the links capsule?

I write my own descriptions and keep them short.  I also don't link to every related Hubs, just two or three which are particularly relevant.  That way it doesn't look too heavy.

4. To Start Again profile image71
        To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do this too. I also group my hubs into similar categories so that an extra link will appear at the bottom of the hub. But I still interlink, in the same way as Marisa.

How can I group my hubs too?

2. ossmedia profile image58
    ossmediaposted 10 years ago

Yes you can interlink related hubs to each other.

3. Ceres Schwarz profile image40
    Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years ago

I also use the hub group to link related hubs together as well as the links capsule. But since I'm still pretty new here, I don't know for sure if it's helping with traffic to hubs.

By the way, does anyone know how we can tell that the hub groups are bringing us traffic? Like if someone reads one of our hubs then sees the hub group at the bottom and clicks on it to be brought to another of our hubs, will we see this reflected in our traffic sources? If so, how is this traffic source called?

4. portables profile image67
    portablesposted 10 years ago

it seems to make sense to me - if people like one of your hubs, the they might like them all!

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Yes I do this and I tend to float them to the right also.  When you edit your hub over on the right double click the capsule and it shrinks to half size and aligns to the right. 

This is a great way to build interest in your work.  Also, as you go along and have many hubs like I do (over 90 now) If you've linked them all along it is much easier than wading back through everything smile

Thanks for your help. I am gonna try interlinking this way now.

6. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I've been on HubPages a year. Yes, interlinking is important, and it is good to do it well. I'm doing it now, and I'm going back to re-do it on some older hubs, too.

Do use groups. That provides a natural interlink below the article.

Don't be obtrusive. It is a bad idea to put up a long list of "you also might read" on a hub.

You can create a link capsule, and float it to the right, and add links with comments to your hub if you like, as Marisa Wright suggested.

I take a different approach. In a paragraph near the top of my hub, or in a blue text capsule to the right, I write out suggestions for 2 or 3 related topics, and suggest what you might read. Then I put a similar reminder at the bottom. And, as I write, if there is a natural "if you want to learn more about this," I'll include a link right there. This way, I give readers options for deeper learning without being intrusive.

I also create series of hubs. Be careful about doing this: Follow HubPages guideliness, as they make readers happy. Most importantly, each hub must be a complete piece, not a teaser or a fragment requiring the reader to click elsewhere and read more to get the whole story. And don't title your hubs with a series name.

When I write a series of hubs, I do create one master hub that is an overview of the topic. I then link that hub to all the rest of the series. And I link each hub back to the overview, and maybe to one or two other hubs. But I don't link each hub to all the others. That would look spammy.

To see an example of an overview hub for a series, you can check out either of these two: Go Green: [url removed] ; and Overview of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: [url removed]

To see interlinking of a few related hubs, see: Self-Evaluation: [url removed] (note, one link is not working yet, as I have one more hub to post in this set.

You can also create a Table of Contents within a hub using the Links capsule. It's a similar idea, and good for long hubs: [url removed]

I recommend that you use links within a hub to complement, not to reproduce, the use of grouping. For example, I have a group of hubs on 7 Habits, and a group on self-evaluation. But self-evaluation is part of self-improvement, which is what 7 Habits is all about. So I link one group to the other by mentioning that, and putting in a link for those who want to stay and grow.

Thanks for the loads of information SidKemp smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

+1

7. profile image88
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

I interlink my hubs as much as I possibly can. In fact, I tend to deliberately create groups of hubs on a specific topic and link each hub to all the other hubs in that group (the groups are up to 8 hubs, typically). As has already been mentioned, people will read more than one of your hubs if they like what you have written and are interested in reading something you have linked to that page.

As an example of how interlinking can help your traffic, my current Pages / Visit for the month in Google Analytics is 1.5. That means that for every two visits, three of my pages are read on average. I often see people visiting and reading 10 - 15 hubs at one visit.

In addition, you are also creating legal and perfectly valid backlinks to your pages which should enable them to climb the Google rankings. It is no substitute for brillianty written and researched hubs, but every little bit helps!

I haven't used the link capsule yet, sounds like a brilliant idea, I think I will try it out on my next hub!

8. Paul Corvan profile image67
    Paul Corvanposted 10 years ago

Yep, I do interlink related hubs. Also, I provide them with backlinks from high pr websites.

9. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Yes, I interlink my own hubs as much as I can without filling them with links to unrelated hubs.  A part of the procedure in writing a new hub is to edit older ones and put in a link here and there to the new one.

One of the results is that on the traffic page, the second source listed is my own subdomain, right after google.com.  While some of that comes from the grouping feature, it is also coming from those interlinks.

10. jemuelO profile image88
    jemuelOposted 10 years ago

Nice one! I should try interlinking hubs when I already have plenty featured hubs. As for now, I'll be more focused on writing more (I just published my first hub this morning). This is so helpful. I've got to follow this forum for easy reference later. Great thanks!

11. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

Yes, it's a good idea to link hubs that are related. If you start to write for other platforms, you can also link back to HP if it's a related topic.

12. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

I've found that it only makes sense to interlink hubs that are specifically and directly related to each other. A common mistake I see on HP is people adding links to multiple hubs they've written in a hub that's not related to the others linked, which looks too spammy and probably hurts ranking overall in some way. I do link some of my hubs here on HP to some of my blog posts in the blogs I admin and vice-versa, and I've found that tends to bring in a lot of free Google and other search engine traffic into my hubs. If you like, you can read my series of hubs called How to get more traffic to your HubPages... I haven't been here long, but since I signed up here I've applied my SEO techniques from my years of blogging to my HubPages, and my techniques seem to work here as well.

I too have found some people spamming the links all over in their hubs. To be honest, I don't even read them, no matter how useful they are.

And yeah, I am going to check out hte hub you have mentioned. Thanks for steering me towards the right direction.

13. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

Another thing I forgot to mention but that you might be aware of is to categorize your related hubs under more general topics using Groups, and this way people will be more apt to read your generally-related hubs without having to interlink hubs directly to each other. This has been effective for my own hubs.

Will you please elaborate a bit?

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I only interlink hubs that are in a series... Organizing your hubs into groups is the only interlinking that is needed.  Internal linking is done for you with groups and the link through your username.  Too many links will take away from the page and cause unneeded distractions.

I agree that it's possible to have too many links, but in HubPages' current design, I feel the two Grouped Hubs aren't obvious enough.   If I want readers to read other Hubs in a series, I think they need to be highlighted.  That doesn't mean deluging the text with blue links, it just means having a box somewhere drawing their attention to them.  SidKemp explained it well, I think.

14. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"Do you interlink your hubs?"

I'm not inspired enough to read the entire thread. big_smile

Short answer? A screaming YES.

Yeah, it was a really simple question smile

15. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

I include links in one hub to other hubs if they are related to each other. I think that is a good idea. I do see increased traffic but not sure if it's from doing this though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)