How come a Hubber that's been banned can still harrass my Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 10 years ago

<link snipped>

While enjoying my tribute to ImKarn23, I've been dealing with a somewhat awkward sitituation. Someone who calls herself Diva43, left a hateful and horrible comment on my Hub about Imkarn23. This is a purely personal issue but after the many comments left afterwards, I decided to keep the comment there.

Even though Diva43 has been banned from Hubpages, I found out today she's capable of leaving another longer and even more hateful comment on my Hub. Before deleting her comment forever and the ones that followed in response to hers (I'm not hoping for an ugly discussion on my tribute to ImKarn23), I need to know how someone can keep posting, when being banned already.

Hubpagesteam? Is there a way to avoid this? Besides deleting comments like this? Hubbers? Do you have any experience with this? I never have been in this situation and I'd like to know what's the best way to handle this.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should report the matter to team@hubpages.  If the matter persists, instigate legal action and proceedings against the said banned one.  Such actions are totally egregious and should NEVER under any circumstances be tolerated.

2. profile image0
    heatherdosposted 10 years ago

Escobana,

I had a similar problem on hub pages. I addressed the issue with hubpages.com and was told to simply delete the comments. They would not reprimand this harasser and i lost advertisers as a result of this person's nasty comments. The only thing that has worked for me was just keep deleting the comments and nagging hubpages for a solution. So sorry you have to deal with this!!!!
    heatherdos

Escobanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oooww! That´s not what I hoped to hear.
      Though I was afraid of this. Banned users can simply leave comments I see. I´m gonna wait for some more replies here. See if there´s some other way. If not I will follow your advice:(

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Delete them and don't react.  Ignore.  Don't read. They will get bored.  It's then their time that they are wasting, and them who are getting all worked up about something.

1. jaydawg808 profile image80
      jaydawg808posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Don't react. Just delete. They thrive on making you mad & your anger. Don't put them in control. You be in control!

2. Pamela N Red profile image83
      Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. First rule of online blogging, article writing or anything else: "Don't feed the trolls." They want attention, if they don't get it they lose interest and move on.

4. Jenn-Anne profile image74
    Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

Also, make sure you set your comments so they have to be approved before appearing on your hub. Then you can delete them without anyone else seeing them.

1. aravindb1982 profile image76
      aravindb1982posted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

Don't expect any assistance from HP.  Simply delete the comments.

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image75
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's sad... but I believe it. I'll never understand why someone one take the time to go to another person's page and leave a negative remark. I think that is so disrespectful, let alone the remark they leave on top of it. If you don't like a book, you never have to take it off a shelf and if you started reading it, you could always walk away. Why publish negativity?
      For what it's worth, I'm going to email HP in an attempt to get her banned from that page at least. I'm sure it will be a wasted effort, but they seem so strict with so many other issues, how can a banned hubber still come around and bully others' pages?
      Cat

I, too, contacted HP.  This haranguing is continuous and has not stopped.

Yup, I just noticed a new notification. I don't think there's anything anyone could say that's going to make this person walk away. Why would you want to waste your time simply posting negative things? I just don't get it.

Probably anger and jealousy and God knows what else. It nonplusses me!

Yes, yes and yes again! One thing I have to say that HP has going for it, is a supportive community. It allows us to feel comfortable publishing hubs when we know there are so many out there who will be supportive. Then, every now and then someone has to come along and throw a wrench in things.

6. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

If a banned user is harassing you, you have two options.

1) set your comment capsule(s) to only accept comments from registered users.  If the person rejoins the site to keep harassing you, then you can report them to admin.
    2) just delete the comments.

Thanks for all the tips so far. I deleted the comment and don't expect more to come.. I hope.

All of your comments were very helpful!

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

Don't know why anyone would allow comments without pre-approval. Edit your comment capsules.

I changed my settings now

7. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 10 years ago

Escobana - if you don't have the stomach to take them on - here is the deal with people like that.

Next time it happens, don't engage them directly. This bugs the hell out of them.
    The "Delete" feature is also there for a reason.
    Don't mention them by name, they'll hate that.
    Don't let them get to you. They'll hate that too.
    Don't let them have control. They hate that most of all as this is the oxygen they need to be the thorn in the side that they love to be.
    Act like they don't exist. And soon they won't. If they persist, just persist in ignoring the person.
    View it as a noise that is interfering with more important things you need to hear, and blot it out. This is a very useful skill.

A more direct approach - unconventional way of dealing with a moron...

A long time ago at University a friend of mine was harassed by another student via emails. Basically it was a jealousy hate thing. So my friend, on some cheeky advice - told the person how to deal and interact with her - and actually instructed her harasser how to insult and what words to use, when to do it and what spelling to use and what insults she liked best... and about fifty other things. Yeah, it was a long list or preferences. Believe it or not, the harasser rapidly got tired of my friend, because my friend controlled and changed the game too much, until the harasser just was having no more fun. Boo hoo. Harassers it seems  - hate to be played by someone who knows all the tricks that they know. It was so sad, apparently.

And remember to never lose sight of what a great and amazing person you are. You make hubs that people love reading and you are popular. You have friends and fans and followers who admire and respect you. Lots of hubbers speak highly of you. smile

Mature people can feel hatred and negative emotions just as immature people can, except mature people can "filter" it better and control it better. Pick the best friends and let the right ones into your life, and leave the dredges outside the door. Life is too short, so make it sweeter for yourself.

Stay out of trouble. smile

What makes this situation awkward is that this person isn't harrassing ME personally.

I get your comment but it's not exactly the situation I'm in.

Maybe you'll understand this situation better if you'd read the 'comments.

Too much to explain her

1. Cheeky Girl profile image65
        Cheeky Girlposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My bad! Cheers! I read them and I understand more now.

Just never let the B@st*rds grind you down.

8. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

If you could read some of the comments that I have received on my hubs about Saudi Arabia you would be truly shocked. I am sure that many of the suggestions I receive are physically impossible etc..

I personally find it quite funny that people have to behave in such a manner and I publish those comments that are not too rude no matter how negative they are about me or my hubs; they are entitled to their opinions no matter how misguided I think those opinions are.

However I do not let myself get upset by them, these people expect to get a reaction and that is why they do it - so if you don't react and just delete they will eventually just go off to troll someone else.

Don't worry, it is part of writing online and you should just ignore them; even the best artists have their critics - just take it as a compliment!!

9. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 10 years ago

The issue has been resolved. Hubpages unpublished my Hub after reviewing it and asked me to remove all hateful speech comments made by any Hubber.

I did so and now I'm waiting for it to get republished. I'm satisfied with Hubpages actions and I wll delete any new incoming comment again if it arrives on this Hub after getting republished.

My commentscapsule has been set well and I have learned much from this whole issue. Thanks to you all!

10. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 10 years ago

You are right Pamela.

11. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

It's rather sad , because Leslie is one of the most supportive , flirtatious , funny , fine looking ,  and feely touchy  with her fellow hubbers , personally ......I love her ! hehehe ! Ed

She's the best Ed! And very very LOVED! :-)

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Have you submitted the comments to the mods?  That type of behavior is abusive, and they should start keeping a record of it.  Also - was the person banned from the entire site, or only from the forum?  Many people are banned from the forum but still have accounts and write on the site.

I have no idea how she was banned  This never happened in the forum as far as I know. But my hub has been republished after having deleted all hateful speech. Life goes on quietly :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)