Any Expert/Pro Hubbers - Is this a realistic target?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. RealityBomb profile image62
    RealityBombposted 10 years ago

First, I want to apologize if you've heard this question a 1000 times before, but I'd be grateful if you could advise me from your experience.

If I was to publish a large number of hubs across various topics, each targeting a well researched keyword/s, is it realistic to aim for an average daily income of $0.10 for each hub. For example, if I had as many as 500 hubs.

The way I'm thinking is, each hub would obviously earn different amounts and while some hubs wouldn't make any money at all, other hubs would make more. So, I'm wondering, is $0.10 a realistic achievable average for each hub if I published over 500 hubs?

Also, could someone who has a large number of hubs published already possibly tell me what you tend to 'average' per day for each hub. Do you average more or less than $0.10 per hub per day? Finally, if possible, I would be incredibly grateful if you could tell me how many hubs it generally takes to average £0.10 per hub per day?

Sorry if I'm asking for too much, I'm just in the process of writing a mini-business plan involving Hubpages and I need to get some indication of realistic targets to aim for.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think that 10 cents per hub per day is possible, but not very realistic the way things are going with google and such. I mean, if that were true, I would be making about $9.00 a day, averaging $270.00 per month -- well, yes, that is possible, and the more I write the more the amount rises. So, I am a bit on the fence with this one. As it stands now, I feel lucky to make $10.00 per month.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about the math -- I meant $270.00 per month.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with an average of $1 or $2 per Hub per month as a realistic target. 

When you think about it, that means a Hub could pay you $24 in a year - more than you could sell it for if you were freelancing.  That's the thing to remember - writing on a rev-sharing site isn't about making huge income from an article, it's about making a good income from it over time.  My best performing Hub has paid me about $300 in five years.  My worst performing one has paid me about $5 over the same period!

3. writing4action profile image57
      writing4actionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To be realistic you need to understand what long term traffic is and what ever green topics are. For example if you write about news, a week from now you will receive no traffic. You see, everything comes from Google, no one knows your URL. If people aren't searching for it using Google, no one comes. Sharing on Facebook is great for short term traffic only.

Ever green topics, based on my blogs not updated for more than a year, see traffic increases every month.

2. phriot profile image76
    phriotposted 10 years ago

I don't know what it's like once you get up to a large number of Hubs, but I should think that you could hit a $0.10/hub/day average with a very low number of Hubs, if they generate a large amount of traffic on their own.   For most of the year I can average something like $0.028/hub/day with only 5 Hubs.  I know that almost all of my income comes from only one Hub though, as it has generated over 85% of my traffic.  I could probably delete my other Hubs and get a $0.14/hub/day average. You should focus on writing Hubs that you enjoy writing and that other people may also be interested in, and let the income come naturally.

3. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Firstly; just targeting keywords is likely to get you seen by Google as a spammer...

Your target of $0.10 per day per hub is probably a little high given what most people achieve. Knowing what some achieve on here $1 per month per hub is realistic if you manage to get the traffic. It is possible to get more but if you are newish to the game (and this is a game!!) and you don't choose profitable niches to write in then you will not achieve your targets.

Writing online is not a quick way to make money, you may take months before you start to see the money trickle in. You need to be found by the search engines and give them the confidence that your pages are worthy of being included in the search results, and this takes time and effort.

Don't just use hubpages (eggs and baskets etc..), the internet is a volatile place and sites have their highs and lows! HP is a great place to start however and you will learn a lot here.

Speaking of learning, be careful what you read online about building links and other SEO as most of it is now well out of date and will likely get you banned!!

4. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

In my opinion and experience, $.10 per hub/per day is unrealistic. There are so many factors that determine how much one hub will make per day let alone 500 hubs. One factor in particular is that one hub usually brings in the most income. There are rare days when I've made between $.50 and $.70 a day with 50 hubs. There are more days recently when it went down to $.30. So the average I make per hub per day is not even computable after eleven months on HP. hmm Maybe more successful hubbers have a better answer but I suspect it will have taken them years to achieve something measurable in terms of an average per day, per hub.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

I do not think it is realistic to count on making $.10 per day per hub. Especially if you are new to online writing. By that computation, I should be making over $4 per day. It's not happening.

RealityBombposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hear what your saying but I don't think it's possible to measure an accurate average statistic with only 41 hubs. There is a magic number of hubs that would return an average of $0.10 but I imagine you would need much more than 500 hubs which is a shame. Maybe it's 1000 hubs or 2000 hubs but the work, the hours, and the scale make it impractical to aim for in the short term.
      Just to explain why I say there is a magic number of hubs that would return that average I'm after, it's all about math. While some hubs might earn zero, and some might earn a tiny amount, there will be the odd ones that make much more than $0.10 per day so, if you have enough hubs, you will eventually calculate an overall average of 0.10 per hub, per day. But, knowing my luck, you'd probably need over a millions hubs and I don't fancy dedicating my life to Hubpages. lol

6. RealityBomb profile image62
    RealityBombposted 10 years ago

Thanks everyone who has answered so far.
    I know how outdated a lot of SEO is today but when I mentioned targeting keywords, I just meant finding popular topics that get a lot of traffic. I'm fully aware that Google doesn't like being manipulated anymore. I'd say 90% of my traffic generation will be focused on social media and starting conversations. I also have a few guerrilla marketing tactics up my sleeve that work well on various social platforms.

Anyway, back on topic.
    I'm a bit disappointed and somewhat surprised that $0.10 appears to be unrealistic according to you guys. Especially, considering it would be over 500+ hubs. I was actually hoping this was a pretty conservative figure because if I'm honest, I'm pretty sure I could average the $0.10 per day, per article if I published 500+ articles on my own website/blog with my own Ad and affiliate resources.

It's such a shame that this is incredibly difficult to test because 500x 800 word articles/hubs involves a LOT of hard work.

I'll let you into a little secret, I was planning on investing into this concept and outsourcing a large proportion of the writing. I done the math and at an average of $0,10 per hub/day, it could work out very profitable. Oh well. It is a shame.

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I will let you into a secret - most shortcuts and techniques don't work! Unless you are very lucky!
      Too many people enter into writing online having read a little bit and think they can make their fortune; the reality is that it is hard work.
      There is no magic number of hubs that will give you the return that you are looking for and if you were really serious you would not be looking to hubpages as the backbone to your "business".
      Yes you can outsource the work, but again that is harder than it sounds due to the extremely variable quality that you will get if you try to do it on the cheap!
      Hubpages is the very best place to start to learn this business in my mind, if you want to learn what works and what does not, start here.. but learn to walk before you run.

7. Nationette profile image69
    Nationetteposted 10 years ago

I have about 15 hubs published, at one point, before i published any in July, I had checked late in the month and i had earned about 1.47, pretty late in the month mind you, but in that case, i earned about .10 cents an article on them just sitting there over TIME. So its totally realistic based on time frame and how hard you promote your articles in your own life.

8. SerraB profile image64
    SerraBposted 10 years ago

I do not see the benefit to doing all of that for a site you do not own, where you do not have control over the linking, the ads, the content of quality for all pages. Why on such a large scale for someone else's site? It seems like you would be better off adding a post a day to your own site, with very few ads, then have offers occasionally.  Is having a subdomain on HP really that attractive to you?

As for 10 cents a day per hub, totally doable. Especially if you get visitors who also visit your related hubs.

9. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

I use a mite of SEO, although I concentrate on on-page optimization and plain old-fashioned "What are searchers of this topic looking for? What do they want?" considerations, using historical traffic stats as a rough guide. I focus on informational pages more than commercial sales-converting pages.

I could probably reach an average of five cents per hub per day fairly easily if I'd clear out some deadwood and self-indulgent "writing on things I feel like writing about" hubs, but I don't think I could hit ten cents per hub per day.

Sales might let you tack on more pennies, especially in certain niches, but overly commercial pages come with their own set of challenges as Hubpages struggles to fight Panda by restricting us from getting too slap happy with affiliate marketing.

10. RelevantHelp profile image71
    RelevantHelpposted 10 years ago

Hi RealityBomb,

I'm going to go against what most say here: $0.10 per article is completely doable. I actually average much more than that on most of my accounts.

Two things:

-Do extensive keyword research. No point writing if no one is searching for it. 
    -Add relevant, thoughtful and appropriate Amazon products! I'm amazed that more authors don't add 1 or 2 recommended products. I make 9 / 10 of my money this way.

(Note, as Greekgeek noted, don't go overboard with sales, Google hates too many ads. For a 1000 word article, I'd do no more than 3 Amazon items.)

11. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

I like the way people with no traffic and few hubs can say how doable what you want is. If you base a business on "of course you cans" without a bite of reality you are going to be very disappointed.

The reality is that you would have to get very lucky or write some stellar well researched pages if you want to reach or exceed your target. Do some real research first and run some trials if you want to find out what is achievable.

Write yourself 25 well researched hubs and see what you achieve over the next few months with regards to traffic and earnings; learn from what you do - which hubs got traffic, which did not? Why?

Create a website and add 25 pages to that and see how that performs. Can it get traffic as quickly as your HP subdomain? Will it earn as much?

Some of us earn our living online and we know that it takes real work. Yes you can outsource work but if you don't look after it very closely you will lose your investment. If you have not got experience writing online try it out first to see what really works or you will make some expensive mistakes.

1. SerraB profile image64
      SerraBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it helps, I'm very close to the projected goal of the OP with only 5 hubs. It certainly isn't impossible. I'd never be able to do 500 hubs though.

2. RelevantHelp profile image71
      RelevantHelpposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't judge based on traffic or number of hubs. A lot of people, such as myself, have several accounts and lots of hubs, for many different purposes.

I've well exceeded the goals of the OP with over 25 hubs.

Though I do agree with your bit about how it's real work and there's a learning curve.

12. soulfully profile image60
    soulfullyposted 10 years ago

It all depends what niche you go after and what keywords in that niche you use. The gaming niche is good and there's a lot of readers out there for that.

If you add adsense to your hubs then you could earn a good amount if you got some of your articles on page one for their keywords. Even if you picked a keyword that would only generate $0.07 per click on adsense, if you're on page one and receiving about 30 - 50 views per day, you might see at least 3-4 clicks. That's about $0.28 per day for one of those articles with adsense. That's assuming you've picked a very easy keyword to rank for with a minimum of 1000 views per month, and you get it on page one.

For example, I know someone (cough - not me - cough) who has an account on hubpages in the gaming niche and writes reviews and tutorials for games. He picked one keyword that showed 1000 searches per month with $0.07 ppc. At the minute the article is on the bottom of page one for the keyword, and sees an average of 35 views per day with about 2-3 clicks.

Easy money if you can find those easy to rank for keywords with a minimum of 1000 searches per month. It's all about those keywords and writing natural, unique content around them that will get you ranked on page one without having to build any backlinks at all.

Then (like all the guru's might say) scale it up. It's a damn pain in the backside looking for those keywords though. wink Good luck on your project!

13. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I think instead of worrying about the pay per hub, you should look at traffic (as luckily, HP has a PPV program).

So for say a CPM of $6, you'd need 60 views per day to earn your 10c.

If you have a hub that gets 1,000 views a day and 5 that get 2 views a day, you'd still average out to your 10c.

But the CPM (for every affiliate and advertiser) based on a range of factors including CTR, traffic source, traffic country, length of stay etc.

On this account my daily views per hub work out to an average of 25-40 per day. So I guess it's up to you whether you think you can drive that traffic!

RealityBombposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you WryLilt, a very interesting read.
      I guess when you combine the Hubpages CPM, adsense, Amazon, Ebay, and any other affiliate source, 10c per day per hub is very achievable so long as you are providing quality, informative, unique content on a well researched, evergreen topic. I make it sound easy huh. HaHa
      My aim is 500+ hubs and I know this is going to involve a hell of a lot of work to get me to the 10c per hub ($50 a day) mark but I've got a well thought out plan so fingers crossed. I might come back in a year and let y'all know how I got on.

Also, thank you to everyone else for your kind advice on a topic I'm sure you've heard a thousand times before. Muchas Gracias

14. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I am currently getting on average way less than 10 cents a day in total for 22 hubs.

These hubs are all featured. Some of them took extensive research and many hours to write. Unsurprisingly, I am not willing to invest time in creating any more content here.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

I agree with Marissa.  I have deleted many hubs, and write about  variety of topics. I don't remember earning over $2 a month, it is more like $1 per month. I use to spread out my articles among the different sites to see which topic worked best for each site.  But, that info is not good for me anymore. Traffic is bad everywhere.

16. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

Another thing is that you can post your article on HP, or any other site and it may simply sit there and do nothing for a few years, then suddenly take off.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)