ONE TURN Deserves ANOTHER!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8327130_f520.jpg
    Why are religious people so concerned about the atheist?  Really, being an atheist is clearly NONE of their business.  Why do so many religious people contend that the atheist is going down the wrong path.  There are a myriad of beliefs in this world.  None are superior to the other.   What makes some religious people strongly contend that they are SUPERIOR to those who are atheists?  Why do some religious people maintain that EVERYONE should be religious?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Because the atheist is going to burn forever and will encourage others to take the same path.

Because the atheist is going to burn forever.

Because, following God's instructions, they won't burn forever.

So that they won't burn forever OR encourage others to a path leading to burning forever.  Unspoken is that it leads to filling church coffers.

I might add, as well, that the religion of the speaker is very clearly superior to all the others as all the others lead to burning forever.

Simple, isn't it?  Just remember two words - burn forever - and you answer all your questions.

1. ChristinS profile image38
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow wilderness - did you miss the part in your religion where it says "Judge not".  Shaking my head.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is cute. Since some atheists who post on this forum either insist or imply they are morally superior and everyone should be an atheist. I don't know that religious people go in search of atheists. I don't know any who do, anyway.

Human nature appears to be the same for all.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
        EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would agree human nature is the same for all, but I wouldn't agree the behavior of humans is the same for all. So, there must be some reason why some humans behave one way while others behave another way. It probably then isn't based on human nature if nature is the same for all.

1. profile image0

Well, I would disagree. Environment and heredity determine who we are. Environment manipulates our nature. Interpersonal relationships manipulate our nature, but that is simply human nature interacting with human nature. Heredity helps determine our nature. I'm not sure what else there is. It all sounds like human nature.  We may all be at the mercy of human nature, but that does not imply it is the same for all.

It is in the nature of some to be busy bodies and think they know better than the next person. Religion has nothing to do with that. It simply gives that unfortunate trait an outlet. There are plenty of other outlets available. Why single one out as if it were unique?

I'm confused here, first you say human nature is the same for us all, then you disagree with the fact there are reasons why are behavior is not the same, then you say it is the same but is manipulated by outside factors and therefore is not implied it is the same for all???

1. profile image0

Yes. I see you are confused. I'd be confused also if I read all of that into my comment.

Forget human nature. Personality types aren't restricted to religious persuasion.  The same traits the OP is questioning in some religious people are clearly displayed by non religious people. Singling out religious seems short sighted and ignores the obvious.

Are you serious? You contradicted yourself.

So, now we forget human nature?

That is what you did, not me.

1. profile image0

Are you drunk? That would explain a lot. Either way, this is the end of our conversation.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why anyone would claim to be personally superior to another person.  I do claim that Christianity is superior to any other religion simply because it's about God/Christ.    But not personally superior to anyone.   Christians are actually the opposite usually----they know where they've been (a life of sin, separation from God), and they're glad when they're born again, and they want everyone else to know God too.

4. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess this is why I'm not either (Christian or Atheist). I don't really care what people choose to believe, so long as it hurts no one and is respectful for the sake and good of humanity, why would I care? Life is too short to care what religion someone is or someone isn't. Treat everyone as your equal and as you wish to be treated. Don't tell people what to do with their lives and they will do the same unto you (Ideally speaking here). Be content with your life, do what makes you happy and remember, happiness will always be and mean something different for everyone and that's ok. But of course, it's very possible that either "side" may think that I've got it all wrong LOL smile

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, believe in God but am more spiritual than traditionally religious.  I am a New Ager! Totally agree with this enlightening and intelligent premise that YOU have presented.  God bless and be well! 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8261864_f248.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image38
        ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1111 Unfortunately, there will always be those who have to believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. It's the ego that needs that stroke.

1. profile image0
          MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and it's a shame, too. Imagine if everyone just said to one another, hey, you are you and I am me and that's perfectly ok! Wow...in a perfect world I suppose....

5. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Religious people" is a bit of a generalisation. I don't know of many Buddhists or Hindus that are concerned by people not being Buddhists and Hindus. As for Christians, Muslims and Jews, they believe people are either going to perish in a some horrible way, or miss out on an eternity of bliss if they don't do whatever their respective religions say they should do. Plus teaching and "spreading the word" is an important aspect of those religions. Religion also forms part of a countries traditions and cultural identity, so rightly or wrongly a rejection of the religion is deemed to be a rejection of those traditions and cultural identity.

Because they believe god is the creator and sustainer of everything, and without god there is either nothing, or the potential of eternal pain and torment.

I don't think many think they are "superior" to atheists. Most seem quite happy to acknowledge their own failings (as they see them through the lens of their beliefs). I think it's more a matter of them believing they are "saved" in some way, and wanting everyone else to be "saved" too.

See all of the above.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
        Kiss andTalesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can agree with Don W, on who can keep good news to yourself ,many can not, and who can only love one child when you have many to love. Surly God is not selfish , we all enjoy the sun ,moon and stars , and seasons, we all benefit from the earths resources  ,And many more things we enjoy on this earth . Yet there is another thought to consider many people think they pick God or religion, the truth is , God picks you! So no matter what you might disagree with ,rather you are a christian or not , The choice of a relationship starts with the  one who created all things, No different then when a couple meets, it takes two to make a relationship, one may start the pursuit and the other will follow as to agree, If the other rejects the thought ,then you have nothing , So this is the same with our heavenly Father, he will not force you, or make you do anything your heart will not agree to. And just as well those that accept the invitation have no right to harass or make others feel less ,because his invitation might arrive at their doors and they might just say yes.

2. musicwallpapers profile image39
        musicwallpapersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don W makes a good point about possibly generalising with 'religious' people. When I've come across Buddhists they've been very calm and self assured. They see no need to convince you theirs is the right path they just believe and respect if others don't agree.

Being a Christian when younger this was never the case. Threats of pain, suffering were cast at non believers and non followers. Faith clearly is a matter of choice without proof and to threaten people and try and scare them into doing as you say (even if what you say comes from a book over 2000 years ago) and if you look at some religions like Islam they can't even abide people saying you think it's poppycock. To them they take as an insult and want revenge and it's all designed to make people fear ever questioning what should be questionable.

I remember being told in a classroom by a brother who took the class that the first mention of years was around 40 years after the crucifixion. I then asked him what the average life expectancy was around that time and he said most died before 45. To which I replied so the likelihood was whoever wrote about Jesus in that first instance may well have not been alive or at best a toddler when Jesus supposedly died and we're supposed to believe that.
        To which I was given 5 strokes of the wood and a months detention aged just 11. Didn't sound like God's work to me because any young inquisitive mind would surely ask the same question.

I am truly sorry for your bad experience in religion MW , and it is truly understood why, how many people in a life time will find the wrong relationships before they find the right one ,as an example . This does lead to future negative judgement about any relationship with others , but does that mean there is no possibility of a real  sincere person  that is right for you? many will witness that what  seems hopeless is very much possible and there is some one. So with that thought , it is true there are many religions posing to represent the most high, their hearts are far from him ,even in his word the bible he disowns them, They will not find the truth and the truth will not want them for there pretense of righteousness, But there is  these words spoken ,"You will know the truth and the truth will set you free! How will you know it ! it will be like beautiful music to your ears and you will welcome it!  no one will force it ,no one will be able to fool you, Your inner person of the heart will understand and welcome the invitation to the most high. John 8:32

2. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

to answer this ,one turn deserves another makes sense ,But the answer can mean more ,why do people even care ? and just mind their own business ? and let life be! really the truth is how many people would just watch a family in a burning building and not attempt a rescue ,rather that means a phone call or a physical  attempt ,surely or a even after a rescue use their means and resources to help families of disaster , an example  911 put  the prejudice and religious differences aside for love and sympathy it is a much greater power of creation within ourselves , before awaken we appear not to care,This powerful creation in our person is bigger and deeper then we can control, just as we had no control of our own birth,there is a right way and wrong way to do everything in life,  surly the desire to worship is just as strong as eating ,drinking and nature, We all carry out the basics of life. And we reach out to fellow humans who share our likeness to share this deeper power that manifest love ,and fellow feeling and sympathy, because we are all affected by surroundings of badness ,sickness and death,and disasters. We can relate to one another we are not alone. Religion has been a tool of expression to display this power,yet there has always been a right and wrong way to do everything.Yes even religion can be exercised wrong according to the bible. In the bible it is written God is love, it is very interesting that rather people believe in God or not they act and display his powerful and wonderful quality of love. And this is reflected in why people speak and act out faith.

3. musicwallpapers profile image39
    musicwallpapersposted 10 years ago

The thing that strikes me about religious people is that they dismiss every other religion and god other than their own. So if they can dismiss all other religions without hesitation how come they can not understand why atheists dismiss theirs in exactly the same way?

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ONLY ZEUS (and Athena and Hera and Artemis and Poseidon, etc.) IS REAL!!

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good thought,  many religious people are so adamant regarding their dogma and faith. They strongly INSIST that their way is the ONLY, LEGITIMATE way.  If a person believes DIFFERENTLY, such a person, TO THEM, are in GRIEVOUS error or a SINNER and needs to be SAVED.  However, they become QUITE NONPLUSSED when the shoe is on the other foot.  They DON'T like being questioned regarding their particular dogma and faith. In their minds, HOW DARE others question THEM?  Hmmmm...........
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8256965_f248.jpg

We all as people believe in a right and wrong ,rather people believe in God or not. Christians should always show respect to anyone's  decision of their religious or none religious choice , because God almighty did not program humans to be robots, only human do that, He does not force his ways on anyone including Adam and Eve , he told them right and wrong ,and the results was if they willfully choose the wrong thing,it leads to death,this is still real , we are living proof of it everyday the sting of death on family and friends a disease we where all born with, because of Adam and Eve , a sentence of death the first two humans caused on all humans, He also said death would run its course and end,  In the book of Isaiah 65:  So what God said would happen did happen.  I would not want anyone including my children ever to feel they had to come to me out of force, or that they had to love me because of others or because of what others say ,Love for anyone should be real and natural including love of  God. And he only accepts according to the heart condition , that is why some people understand and others do not. this is a inner work that no man can claim! for we can not read the hearts of a man ,women ,or child, . And if this is what people feel in their heart who are we to say different. This how they feel, We should care How God Almighty feels. For he is the one who Judges the heart .This is the one rather we are living or not decides the future for many.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)