While I am still new, i ask for everyone's help

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image54
    LadyKrim01posted 10 years ago

It's not a normal cry for help, however, I have been searching on many sites today to help a question I can't find an answer to.

For the past 3 months I hadn't dreamed. Remembered nothing, no details, nothing. I had been going through some things but I come to find out (and here's where things get interesting) a close friend, someone whom lives 5 hours away, we met once and haven't stopped talking for 2 years now, also didn't dream for the past 3 months.

What would cause both people to stop dreaming at the same time, then start again? Those 3 months we didn't talk, we thought and worried for one another in that time on top of life stressors.

I hope this gives enough info to anyone out there than can help explain this for us.

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's unlikely you haven't dreamed.  Long periods without REM sleep result in paranoia, so you'd likely need a doctor by now if you hadn't entered dream-state sleep.  We go through three stages of non-REM sleep before we get to REM, but when we leave REM stage we go back through the non-REM stages to wakefulness.  It's possible you weren't awakened from stage 4 (REM) sleep in three months and therefore didn't remember dreaming.

I take from your post that you are looking for some otherworldly connection between you and your friend.  I wouldn't conclude that this biological function you both share has been disrupted somehow by a unearthly force.  It is certainly possible that it is a coincidence.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought this was spam... are we giving real answers?

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
          Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Posted in the wrong place, perhaps, but not spammier than many topics in these forums big_smile

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's so little I know.

2. profile image54
          LadyKrim01posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't mean to post in the wrong area. My mistake, I was legitimately looking for an honest view, reasoning, something.

2. profile image0
      CroftRoanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's most likely you were dreaming during that time but most dreams are forgotten as soon as you wake up. Stress, poor diet/lack of exercise among other things can change your sleep habits. If you have had too much caffeine and then suddenly went cold turkey that could also be a factor. I've had that happen during the end of my freshman year of college. I'm all for looking into the other worldly for some explanations but chances are you and your friend just need to get back on a healthier regimen.
      You also didn't give us enough to work with to get a metaphysical answer. What kind of relationship did you and your friend have? Do either of you have any  involvement in supernatural/spiritual arts? Have either of you had any other major changes in your lives other than not talking to each other? Give us a little more to work with and we might be able to tell you more than just "stop drinking coffee before bed".

1. profile image54
        LadyKrim01posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well Croft, I had gotten into a bad relationship. Abusive, amongst all negative things with that person. I wasn't able to write my friend from my ex being controlling and extremely jealous and just...yeah.

My friend and I have a deep connection, it's strange to most but it's because we know and understand one another. We believe in other worldly things, and when we stopped talking she could feel something was wrong so she would try to send her thoughts and energy my way. And each waking moment I could feel her, think of her. We were obviously both stressed and missing each other but I exercise each day, I don't drink coffee or pop just tea and chamomile tea before sleep. I don't do drugs, I just smoke cigarettes.

Does that help?

2. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

I have no idea why you both stopped dreaming at the same time. I am aware, however, of a young woman who stopped dreaming (always having been a regular dreamer) and was diagnosed soon after with MS. Don't know how common it is, but she was told the absence of dreams was one of her symptoms. I certainly don't want to alarm you, but it might be worthwhile considering if an absence of dreams is uncommon for you.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

All consciousness is connected; somehow the two of you have a rather direct connection. Dreaming is just thinking. When all thought is followed through to the end due to complete awareness and resolution during the waking hours, then there is no left-over thought during sleeping and so no dreaming. Then you get true rest.

4. Marie Flint profile image71
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

I believe that you didn't stop dreaming at all--you both just stopped remembering your dreams. It sounds more than a coincidence, however, that both of your lack of remembrances and remembering again occurred simultaneously. Because you were both undergoing life stressors and worrying about each other, your dream states were probably involved with finding solutions for both your problems. And, during the three months, the two of you were able to find resolution. Now that both of you are more relaxed, your sleep states have apparently returned to more familiar cycles.

We sometimes block out things we don't want to remember, and most dreams are forgotten unless one makes a conscientious effort to remember them. One way to do this is to keep a dream diary by the bedside and make an autosuggestion that, "When I have a dream, I will awake  and record it." Wanting to remember dreams does help retain a memory of them within a few minutes after waking.

Above all, don't concern yourself about those past three months--what's important is that you are not feeling the stress that you had before. Be grateful that those stressors are resolved. Blessings!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)