what is the origin of god?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (134 posts)
  1. vishnum969 profile image79
    vishnum969posted 10 years ago

We all worship god and follow the path shown from a religion. I amconfused confused, what is the origin of religion? Which one is the predecessor god or religion? Was god a man or a woman, who started gaining popularity due to his speeches or magical actions. And, then the world started worshiping in fear? We follow religion because of god or we follow god because of religion?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Religion" can be traced back to half a million years ago with ritualistic burials with the belief in an afterlife.

Organized religions date back to about 11,000 years ago with small bands of people that had basic supernatural beliefs.

vishnum969posted 10 years agoin reply to this

But when those supernatural beliefs turned into a god thing. I know that early civilizations started by believing in supernatural things, they worshiped animals, plants, and even rain, fire. All around the globe, people worship an image of god they follow. How did that image come up? Was worshiping god started due to fear among society members or it was a consensus among its members to give a central man the power to decide the future of society members. Was it a social contract between members of the society and a central man (god) to look after the followers?

There weren't really any images of gods back then, that came much later.

With the advent of organized religions, the latter, yes.

Not really.

Do you really believe in magical actions and following the path of truth by god (as prevalent in our conscience) or it is just a story to promote the theme of god name?

I wouldn't agree that following a god is prevalent in our conscience, but more along the lines of stories to promote gods.

Yes, I correct myself little bit.

2. kess profile image59
      kessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Everything  single thing that we know has it origin in the extra sensory... meaning we cannot relate to them with the physical senses. This is the original idea behind the concept of what is known as the supernatural.

Each man will align himself with one of these  three all encompassing philosophies concerning existence.

1)  All things is as one, With each individual thing having it's place and purpose which it will fulfill. 
      This is the origin of the idea of ONE GOD under which all existence is guided, none inferior or superior one to the other but each abiding as they are.

2)  Some things exist as superior because of division one against the other, thus there are things which should be exemplified and other nullified. This is the origin of God and multiplicity the of Gods, where there is one Greater than the rest, or some greater than the other.

3) Then there is Nothing...which reigns supreme among all other things. For everything came from it and is expected to return to it. This philosophy summarily dismisses every other philosophies and will not entertain any other form of knowledge except it's own.
      From the the concept og No God came.

All this sounds philosophical, kess. I am looking for some concrete evidence of evolution of religion and god. Are we worshiping god due to fear or we are just following our ancestors's footsteps, who also perhaps started off with some fear. Are we god loving people or god fearing people?

1. kess profile image59
          kessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Philosophy is the enquiry of matters concerning life...so that makes us all philosophical.
          As men ask themselves questions concerning their own purpose and place in this life, the concept of God automatically arises.

The concept will take the distinct form as mentioned before. Yet they will be interwoven one with the other.
          My response is not designed to take you through the maze of ignorance where there are more questions than answers and therefore I understand if you don't find it very useful.

3. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People follow religion simply because they want to have a better understanding of God. If God began as a magical human, the idea would have died out. If religion were the path to a better understanding there would be only one religion.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No they don't.  They don't want a better understanding of God.  They want eternal life (or think they do).  They want a father figure protecting them.  They want to belong to the club.  They want to escape hell. 

A better "understanding" is always welcome, but only if it agrees with what they want to believe.  Let that understanding include child sacrifice and it will be dropped like a hot potato.  Or to give all possessions to the poor and go preach.  Or maybe stop the divorce, end the affair or take care of an aging parent; things they don't want to do somehow escape understanding.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid i disagree. You can cite things which fall in line with your understanding of God and then assume you understand the reasoning behind others not falling in line with your understanding. You can listen to others pay lip service to words in a book which they outwardly claim are their understanding of God yet don't follow.

However, does anyone have an understanding of God? If so, how? With all the religions throughout the world how could we know?

People believe God exists. They believe God loves them. If love is the primary motivator then i think the problem is love of self above others clouds our understanding. It's easy to believe oneself to be loved. It's easy to believe rules don't apply to us and are bent to ensure our happiness. It is difficult to believe a deity overlooks the faults in others which mirror the faults in ourselves.

2. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 10 years ago

God has no religion. He is God and he does not get involved in your day-today affair. It is doubtful if he does it even in some major happenings in your life. Most of your life's doings will have consequences as decreed by Him.
    The only thing sure about him is that he exists.

But don't worry, he is sending someone pretty soon to clear your and my doubts.

Hope so buddy, the doubts get more serious as we know more and more about god's existence and the evolution of religion.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Monotheism was first established by the Zoroastrians. Before them, it was polytheism or bust.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

There is a statue of "Vishnu Meditating With Ten Avatars" carved exquisitely out of some type of solid rock at the museum where I used to work. It is from about 1,200 BC, India. I don't know how they carved these type of statues out of stone way back then. Maybe used some sort of advanced technology. I think the knowledge of and manifesting of scientific technology is cyclical. I think electricity and all present technology existed in the days of Atlantis. I think there is God. I think we are all individual portions and creations of God. I think we have past lives. I think there is a lot of traffic coming and going from the astral realm. Of course there is God and he is laughing all the way to the bank (in heaven!)
    We have to climb the stairway.

As far as origin? always was, always will be.
    It's really amazing to be conscious…
    Are we conscious after the heart stops beating? John in the bible said he died daily:
    "'I die daily—' This ought to stand first in the sentence, as it is so put prominently forward in the Greek. I am day by day in sight of death, exposed to it, and expecting it (2Co 4:11, 12; 1:8, 9; 11:23)."
    1 Corinthians 15:31-33: 31 "I die daily, I protest by your glory, brethren, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord."
    Apparently, he knew how to stop his heart, (which is an advanced yogic technique.) I assume he remained conscious while doing so. So, the answer given in the bible is: Yes!
    Jesus needs to come back and explain a few things. I wish he'd hurry up.

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Do you have a Bible? This answers all questions about God. Here is an online bible.

The old testament begins in Genesis.
    http://www.biblica.com/bibles/chapter/? … ersion=niv
    The new testament begins in Matthew.
    (http://www.biblica.com/bibles/chapter/? … ersion=niv)

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thing is Beth, we have the bible only through inheritance from the Hebrew people. They wrote /edited the Book of Genesis and Exodus during the exile to Babylon apparently where the scribes of the time wanted to set down all the verbal traditions of their origins as a people as a comfort to a people who had been dispossessed from Israel. Now El was one God of many in the Canaanite pantheon, the husband of the Goddess Asherah, and he was considered the Father God of humanity. It was El that the Hebrews adopted as their God and over time excluded all the others; adopted the epithet of other Gods to apply to El alone; and at some point Asherah was divorced from El and proclaimed a foreign God.

What we have today and what Christianity say is the one true God is only with us through inheritance of history. Had situations been different, the West could be still worshipping Zeus, Thor or Horus. It might be that in the grand scheme of things there is only one God who is real, but what we know of this God is only one of many World traditions. You assume you have the correct one, but I think the Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, and African pigmys would disagree with you.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You forgot to add ATM to that group... and Radman, and JM. So that would be the Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, African pigmys, ATM, Radman and JM. How does this affect my faith?

1. BuddiNsense profile image60
          BuddiNsenseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8547503.jpg
          Yes, how?

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How it affects your faith is up to you, but it seems clear by a look at the history of the Canaanite people (including the Hebrews) that you cannot be so absolutely certain of the bible and your theology, because you only received it by happenstance of history.

1. profile image0

What you call happenstance, I call providence. I have to get ready for church. See ya.

Oh it is providence that let Europeans get christianity (from which they are increasingly turning away), Africans islam and Chinese Buddhism! Seems like heaven is a crammed place that god want to avoid many people getting there!

1. profile image0

Mt Matthew 7:13-14
                13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

When you read these forums, you begin to see why this is the case. Man has contented himself with darkness. He has the same hope that is offered to those who are saved, but he discards his only hope in favor of what he claims to be truth, when in fact it is only the lies from an enemy who would destroy him and all he loves. It is not too late to seek truth.

Can you explain that, please? What darkness are you referring? What only hope are we discarding? What enemies are you referring?

None of what you say makes any sense without explaining those concepts.

1. profile image0

It is difficult to explain choosing darkness to someone who has chosen it. They don't remember ever having sat down and saying, "I'd like to choose darkness over light please." But by rejecting God, that is what you have done. The darkness is life without Christ, it is eternity without Christ. He alone is the light, he is love and truth and apart from him, all is darkness, but you don't accept this, so you live in darkness without even knowing it.

Of course, without Christ, there is no hope. When every thing is falling apart, you have no promise... "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose.." Rm 8:28 You have no hope b/c you are not "in Christ". You are outside of the camp. You could knock... he promises that to all who knock, he will open the door, but instead you throw rocks at the walls as if that does anything, but feed your anger.

And the enemy I refer to is of course Satan who has you in total disillusionment. You have totally bought into the lies of the inferior super-natural being while denying the truth of the superior super-natural being. You are as much a part of the spirit world as any believer, you just don't know it yet.

2. BuddiNsense profile image60

Do you think you are so special that the providence conspired to give you the correct version while keeping it away from the majority of humanity?

Humility only in words, if you are not superior and special how come the providence chose to bestow its secrets on you?

1. profile image0

Dad comes home from work. He has a gift in each hand for both of his children. Billy hugs his dad, takes the gift and thanks him profusely. Ann throws the gift on the ground, says it's wrong in every way for her and kicks it out into the street. Later on when she's cooled off, she asks her dad, with tears in her eyes, why he brought Billy a gift, but not her. Why was Billy so special? He reminds her he brought her the same gift and she rejected it.

If you choose to reject the free gift of salvation that God has offered you, why do you throw stones at those of us who want it? You could say no thank you and be on your way... so what causes the need to come here every day and rally against those with faith? Is it kind of like a gossip session? If you get enough ppl to believe as you believe, then you will feel secure in your choice? If we are delusional, are you trying to be our savior? What is the fear that causes you to reject, but then spend your days debating your choice?

Take the present, reject the present. No one is forcing you.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Considering there are billions more people with a huge, wide variety of gods and beliefs that also disagree with you, that should be some affect to your faith. None at all?

However, this video explains why you have that faith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1A9vrsw6Hw

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

The bible brings about more questions than it answers.
    What is the Bible's answer to the science behind all religion? There is science behind the words, "I die daily. " There is science behind the words of "If thine eye be single thy whole body will be full of light."
    During Jesus time they knew nothing of energy/ electricity, but they did know light from sun and flame.
    He understood energy which animates the body and consciousness.
    Don't you think Jesus has a lot of explaining to do?
    When the student is ready the teacher appears.
    Maybe He will come back to satisfy the thirst for knowledge when the majority is craving to know.

1. profile image0

The beauty of the Bible is that there is a bit of mystery to it. Like with any beautiful romance or mystery novel, or a great archaeological find, God has allowed us to do some digging. It is so simple a child can understand, and so deep, there are things we may not fully comprehend until we see God face to face. The more you study, the more that will be revealed. I remember how proud I felt when I discovered that Melchizedek was the old testament appearance of Jesus... no one told me this, I didn't hear it in a sermon. I was doing a study and the scripture itself revealed that to me. If we lack knowledge, it is b/c we do not apply ourselves. There is also a great amount of commentary that will help a seeker if they are looking for quick answers. Here are a couple of helpful ones: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc.i.html
      http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing these sites and your insights, Beth.

1. profile image0

Course. smile

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

The beauty of science is that it attempts to solve mysteries, so that people aren't left guessing or using magical thinking to find answers. The problem with the Bible is that it doesn't give us any answers, it just gives us mystery, which is the equivalent of ignorance.

Mystery is relishing ignorance.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Faith in Jesus protects us. He has authority over all that takes way life. He gives life. By tuning in to Jesus we tune into God.

PS I think creation started as sound… vibration… That's why some use sound bells/bowls as spiritual therapy and chant using the sound of aum.
      "How does it work? Ancient instruments, including Tibetan singing bowls are 'struck and sung' in specific rhythmic patterns to create vibrational sound harmonics at the frequency of "AUM" or "OM". This sound frequency known as that of Perfection impacts the sympathetic nervous system as your brain waves synchronize to the vibrations of the bowls. The harmonic vibrations engage the relaxation reflex and slow down the respiratory, brain and heart rate and disrupt the pain reflex creating a deep sense of well being."
      http://www.soundenergyhealing.com

What is the origin Kathryn? Science claims the evolution of humankind from homosapiens and homosapiens from ancient ,early reptiles. Who is god? Is he humanoid faced god? Why did we create a face? Is it necessary to have a face to worship god?

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

That is an excellent example of how the "mystery" of scriptures ensures keeping people ignorant and accepting guesswork based on magical thinking. It shows a complete lack of anything scientific or evidence based.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

All matter is God. He has a face and he doesn't have a face. If you want to see one of the beautiful, amazing and wonderful faces of God…

look in the mirror! LOL

But, of course He doesn't have to have a face to be worshipped!
    -one just needs to sense that He exists everywhere and in everything.
    TWISI, the origin of God
    is Himself:
    Omnipresent Omniscient Omnipotent Energy and Consciousness.
    (Sometimes I call Him Triple O.)

...and He loves Love, tempered with His Wisdom.

9. aware profile image67
    awareposted 10 years ago

first form of worship and the idea that there was something after death  started with ancestor worship ( the father).  then came the sun.( the son).  at least that's what i saw on a history channel  show.

This is the first time, I read worshiping father. I do know that sun, earth, and other heavenly things were taken as divine in early period. But worshiping father or ancestors is something new to me. Still, I am confused about the origin of god.

We all are!

10. J - R - Fr13m9n profile image68
    J - R - Fr13m9nposted 10 years ago

Religion was and still is being created by humans. Religion has its rules also created by humans feeling the inspiration of goodness and God. One of your questions reminds me of who came first; the chicken or the egg? The Catholic interpretation is: God is the Supreme Being, infinitely perfect who makes all things and keeps them in existence. Another example is; God always was and is. I would like to get beside that point of view. In Taoism there is a God Force which we are all part of. According to what I believe about Taoism there was no Messiah to come down from the Heavens and cure humankind's evil. We follow religion because we were taught to do so. On the other hand there are people who choose which religion to follow.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)