Reporting threads posted in the forums

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I know when we come across a hub or question (in the "answers" section) we feel violates some rule established by HP, we can click on the little flag so that HP can check it and possibly remove it. However, I can't find anything similar in the forums. I found a questionable post earlier today and used the "contact" link. Is there any other way to report forum posts directly from the thread in question?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is, Sheila. Below the post of concern, click on the 'more' button and you will see the 'report' button. There is a lot of stuff in the forums that should be reported.

1. profile image0
        sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I've always seen the "more" link but have never clicked on it. I need to do some more exploring and check out some of the other buttons I've never used.

I wonder if there is a junk button somewhere? I can think of a lot of stuff that could be assigned to the junk pile. LOL

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry Sheila, we have had good report between us. But you are looking hard for ways to hurt others. I find that disturbing. Do you really think that is your calling?
      If it is then good on you and you should censor what ever you can that disturbs you.
      It will come back on ya honey!

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The word is rapport, not report.

1. Ericdierker profile image45

I used it with the synonym "communicate". Or how we "report" to each other or present ourselves.

I do not know that we know each other well enough to have a rapport.

2. kevinfream profile image69
        kevinfreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how she's looking to hurt people. We don't have to agree, but if it's not civil or just spammy self-promotion verbiage, then it should be reported.

Well I fail to see how it helps people.

2. profile image0

Kevin, you're correct. I've spent a lot of time on the internet in chat rooms, forums, and many other places. So many of those sites make a claim that they want to be user friendly; however, many of those same sites don't take any complaint seriously. That's what I find refreshing about HP. And as far as I can tell, they actually do a review of the content and only remove it and/or punish the offender if the content truly goes against the set HP policies.

3. profile image0

I'm never looking for ways to hurt people. In fact, there are a lot of hubs, questions/answers, and forum posts which I consider offensive yet I'd never report them because people are entitled to their opinions. The forum post in question was, as far as I can tell, a scam with the person asking people to donate to a particular cause. Sure, everyone can just ignore it and keep the money in their wallet. However, as PT Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute". I feel it is in the best interest of my fellow hubbers to report such actions and protect the gullible.

I cannot imagine you wanting to hurt anyone, Sheila, and I commend you for being concerned for those who would be gullible. I also see a lot of posts that are offensive, but, as you say: everyone has a right to their own opinion. Verbal attacks can simply be ignored for what they are: childish behaviour. However, SPAM is a much different thing and should not be allowed to remain.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

At one time, we were getting a lot of posts from writers with O hubs, that were just spamming the forums with their ads. We need to be able to flag them. We've also had people come in just to insult our writers or Hubpages and then never write a thing here.

4. bethperry profile image83
        bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

While I'm sure some people may enjoy using the Report option to hurt others, I do not feel this is what Sheila wants to do. If a person were wanting to abuse the Report system I doubt they'd bring the subject up in a member forum.

Sometimes it is self righteousness that harms and not an intent to harm.

Someone just told me a word I used was wrong. Because she thought she knew the only meaning of the word. That could be reported through ignorance if she found the word offensive.
          The first and only really report should be public to the person who offends.

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

On the other hand, if you set your forum preferences to chronological (see choice of threaded/chronological, top right of page) you will see the report button at the foot of every forum post.

Some people hit it a little too often, of course.

1. profile image0

Thank you Izzy. I definitely don't make a habit of reporting content to HP. I think such an action should be reserved for only the most offensive behaviors or breaking of the rules.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I agree with Phyllis, there are a lot of things that should be reported, I was under the impression there wasn't a report button as well. Thanks Phyllis.

You are welcome, Alpadogg16.  Thank you for the agree.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

Yes, there is a report button on the 3rd from the left.

5. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
    wrenchBiscuitposted 10 years ago

My Latest Epiphany:

I grew up in a very racist part of the U.S.. As a child I got called a lot of nasty names and I also got beat up a lot by rednecks; probably because I looked more like my father, who was Indigenous, than I did my mother who was Dutch.Also because I was smarter and had lots of girlfriends.Due to my colorful past , it is difficult to understand how an adult can get so upset about forum posts.Maybe that's why some people go postal: in the "real" world, there is usually no moderator to make the bad people with the ugly words go away.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is what I have said on a previous forum thread related to this topic.  In the real world, people can become quite verbose and exchange some quite exclamatory and heated verbiage and it is believed that as adults, they can and/or should take care of themselves.  It is an instance of political correctness go to the extreme.  However, there are some instances where there is gross misbehavior in the forums which should be reported so it can be stopped.  Have YOU ever visited the Religion and Philosophy & the Political and Social Issues Forums?  You can witness some quite acid and tart verbiage there.   Also, there is the issue of trolls and sockpuppets who can be quite inflammatory!

Sockpuppets?  I have never heard that term before in relation to forums.  Are they like trolls,  or rude debaters? We have a lot of rude debaters around here. I like a good debate that helps people to open their minds up to other opinions of value.  I believe that anyone who starts a thread should have the right to report any "gross misbehavior" before it snowballs into a horrid battle.

I like that Idea that the forum poster should moderate. One time I asked someone to recant and apologize and they did. The "report" was leaving it out there for the world to see what a jackass he was,,,,, Wait a second that was me!!  lol.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
          wrenchBiscuitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for the purpose of deception.I find it interesting that the definition of a "troll" has been refined over the years to include anyone that might have a disagreeable opinion, or an insight that may make others uncomfortable.This perversion of the term has rendered it useless.By today's internet standards,Nelson Mandela,Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, John Brown,Michael Moore,and the Dixie Chicks can all be defined as trolls.The purpose of such a term is to intimidate those who might otherwise deliver an opposing viewpoint or opinion; just another small glimpse of the oppressive elements that permeate the fabric of American society..

Ah ! Okay -- thanks for that explanation.

In around 1999 when forums were being used to help establish internet protocol and standards Trolls played a very important roll. They were hired guns designed to enter into discussions and prevent consensus. Intellectual Property lawyers used them quite effectively. As did the initial registries to maintain monopoly over domain names. We also saw them in UN forums discussing pharmaceuticals and Freedom of Speech rights regarding the Internet.
            There is no "electoral" process in full swing to this day on the internet so consensus is how things get done. Trolls are like anti-lobbyists in this arena. There are no trolls on HP unless you use the silly derogatory definition of anyone you do not like.

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

That's very interesting and useful Eric,and I was not aware of that history.Overall, I will either respond to a disagreeable person or simply ignore them.It has never crossed my mind to report someone online.I saw a group of Neo-Nazis marching in Milwaukee back in the mid-seventies; goose stepping down main street. Hippies were also exercising their free speech; shouting obscenities from the sidewalks.For me,it was a perfect day in a free world, and also quite entertaining.

1. profile image0

You make a very good point Wrench. I also think it would wrong to go around reporting people or filing other types of complaints simply because someone disagrees with something I say. As much as I hate hearing/reading the opinions of racists and members of hate groups, I can't very well expect them to be censored without expecting them to do the same thing to me. I do, however, draw the line when it comes to advocating or promoting harm to another person. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason I decided to report the forum post I did was because people could get hurt if it was indeed a scam.

Sheila,
                  Yes,unfortunately there are a lot of desperate and greedy people online trying to scam people.It's like terminal cancer.A morphine drip is necessary to ease the pain ,and to make some one as comfortable as possible in their final hours,but it is only a band aid.I believe the solution to hateful forum posts, and online scams,  is the same as the solution for world peace and world hunger: a vigorous teaching of morality ( any brand will do) and respect for others; mandatory from K thru 12,on par with mathematics and language.

In a moral society we would have no need to report anyone,buy a gun for protection,endure talking heads like Rush Limbaugh, or even "stand our ground". But this is not a popular idea. I have estimated it would take at least three generations for such a program to have a noticeable effect.Considering the short attention span of the average human being,I don't see it happening.But I would be delighted if  you could make a liar out of me.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8647223.jpg

I just hate the idea of a globalized hate speech. Perhaps that would tilt my windmill. Probably I do not see it much because they know I would come at them like hell on wheels with the flu.
              Anybody sees that and I ask you write me direct and ericdierker@sbcglobal.net.  I love rancor and debate, but hate speech is something I abhor. I see this point loud and clear. And they will find a battle within me.
              If I suggested anywhere in my posts that hate speech is acceptable, please reread it. Those who preach hate are my enemy.

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
            Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In Michigan, trolls are those that live in the lower peninsula. At least that is what those that live above the Mackinac Bridge say. I guess the word troll has a lot of meanings. That definition makes me a troll. LOL

I thought trolls lived under bridges, and that they hate billy goats. ah hahaha

Over time, and I engage in those wild forums, I have come to have friends that just speak/write in the most caustic of manners. I used to be offended. Now I know that is just how they are and cut through the excess nasty verbiage and try to learn from them. I am known to be able to be quite snippy and caustic myself. But I try to only direct it at those who engage in that also.
        What ticks me off is when JJ goody two shoes steps in the middle of that kind of exchange and "reports and gets X banned". She has no business reporting what is not directed at her. It is like stepping into a boxing match and complaining you got punched. Just stay out of it, leave us to our nonsense.

Ha! Love it.

6. David Carl profile image60
    David Carlposted 10 years ago

Trolls, Sock puppets, and Goody 2 shoes; Oh My!
    Trolls, Sock puppets and Goody 2 shoes Om My!

I would have never thought when I read the original question, that there was any controversy in it!

I thought: when you are on the internet, of course their will be offensive posts and posts that shouldn't be posted.

For instance, I was trying to think of some other descriptions of people we might use... All I could think about was monkeys, but I really like monkeys. We (my family) have many, many stuffed monkeys in our house,, of all colors and shapes and sizes....

The other word I thought of was...lawyers..... but we also have many, many of them in our family, and they are  all, also great people...

Now...I am interested in other synonyms for trolls and sock puppets....but, that's just so I don't use them....and it would be helpful to finish my poem.

1. profile image0

I really didn't think my original question would cause so much discussion, but I'm glad it did. If nothing else, I'm learning about some of my fellow hubbers.

7. blueheron profile image92
    blueheronposted 10 years ago

I have had hubs come up on my feed that were nothing more than links to an ad for a product. I wanted to report them but didn't know how.

8. David Carl profile image60
    David Carlposted 10 years ago

I haven't had that, but that would be very annoying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)