New to HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 9 years ago

I just joined and started writing here at HubPages today. I am not new to freelance writing but I know each site has it's own way of doing things. I published six Hubs today and was wondering if I could get some feedback and advice. I think I have the hang of it, but welcome the feedback.

1. Wendi Gjata profile image61
      Wendi Gjataposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have read the "Summer Safety Tips for Running." It seems that all the content is unoriginal and pretty much restated information based off of the video at the end and several websites. Hubs should be original and new ideas that you yourself come up with. Not information that you find online and restate as a hub.

2. msdielise profile image61
    msdieliseposted 9 years ago

Hello Linda and welcome to HP.

I am new here as well. Well, you will see comments from people who visited your hub. You may also connect with other people and exchange comments about your hubs.

3. LindaSarhan profile image91
    LindaSarhanposted 9 years ago

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh wa Ramadan Mubarak, msdielise. big_smile

I see that. I am really liking the interactions and feedback. I received an email that one of my Hubs didn't meet quality standards but hope to play around with it after work and get better at what is expected here.

So far everyone has been very welcoming and helpful. I look forward to reading some great Hubs as well as creating many informative Hubs myself. big_smile

1. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I love your writing, Not! when you copy and paste from other websites you are actually stealing their work. maybe you should try writing your own stuff on Hubpages and take actual credit for your own work rather than the work of others. you have been flagged and reported to the Hubpages staff.....jimmy

LindaSarhanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ummm.... where did I copy and paste from another website? Show me the link.

1. jimmythejock profile image83
          jimmythejockposted 9 years agoin reply to this

just copy the first few lines of any one of your hubs into a search engine and you will find "Your work ".....jimmy

Actually LS Watts is my maiden name and former pen name. You see, this crazy thing happens when a woman gets married. Most of us take our husband's last name. Even still, I have friends who are published authors and some of which have several pen names. The website in question is closing down and taking down ALL articles. So before you go off all half-cocked, maybe you should politely inquire about it because it is still MY work. Therefore, it is NOT a copyright violation.

I have tried to find writing guidelines to HubPages but still can't find them. I will happily modify MY articles to guidelines IF I could find them. But the work is still MINE.

If you truly want to mentor someone, try not attacking them especially when you do NOT all of the information. As far as flagging me, it is frivolous because you failed to find out more information to base the "flag" on.

1. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It may not be a copyright violation, but it does violate the rules to reproduce any written work already published on the web.

As for finding writing guidelines, your options are to actually read the terms of service, read the FAQ or read the step-by-step Hub building guide in the Learning Center.

And your line about mentoring is hilarious.  That made my Wednesday morning.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
              PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Go to "Help" at the top of the page and scroll down. There, you will find a link to the Learning Center with topics to cover just about everything. Welcome and good luck.

Peg

2. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Helium articles should not be moved until around Sept.1. Yahoo articles should not be moved until Jan.1,2015. Hopefully this will give them time to clear out of the search engines.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Your pages look great. Plenty of breaking up text, multiple texts, tables, and overall great flow. The only thing I see is that your articles are showing up as on other websites, but when I click the link it shows page not found. Maybe wrote these for another site then deleted? Once that clears up, I have to say you are off to a good start here! Welcome to HP and good luck!

As I replied to the attack above, I am reinventing some old articles. The site in question is shutting  down and deleting ALL articles. I did have articles under other pen names there. I was also on the Editorial Advisory Board and Channel Manager for several channels. I even did plagiarism  checks and fact checking.

I tried to find writing guidelines for HubPages but I still can't find them. However, I don't like to have an article posted at several websites because it messes with search engine searches, etc. I wouldn't reinvent my own articles if they were published somewhere else. But if someone can politely point me in the direction of the writing guidelines, that would be awesome.

Oh and thank you for your polite inquiry and comment. Nice to see some people still have manners and do not act based on assumptions without finding out all of the information first.

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here are a few links you may or may not have already gotten to.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs Explains quality assessment
        http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational Explains the writing scale here
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents Covers anything and everything else you may need/want to know.
        With that said we have so many problems here with people just coming in and bringing copied content it gets ridiculous! You know what a lot of them seem to have in common? They come here to the forum or to Q and A to ask how their work looks. So excuse all of us who may need to bring attention to something that may appear copied. After all we all have the same goal, to make money. So we might just be a little protective of the place we put our product. smile

5. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 9 years ago

I get it wrong sometimes and it looks like in this case I may have jumped the gun a little and I am sorry for that. Hubpages has a lot of problems with copied content and with hubs being copied on other sites and as a result of this we flag and report anything that is suspect.
    I again apologize for any distress caused by my actions and hopefully we can start again .
    Hello Linda, my name is jimmy welcome to Hubpages I wish you every success on the site.

Apology accepted. Trust me, I have had to open a copyright violation case before because someone stole my work. I get frustrated when people steal other people's work. However, this is not my first rodeo and I have been a freelance writer and editor since 2000. Anytime I came across something that may be plagiarized, I would let my "manager" above me know and we would investigate. Some cases it was straight up plagiarism but in other cases it was merely another pen name or a publisher who bought temporary rights to the article in question.

I never take flagging lightly. Before flagging, I make sure to rule out any possible explanation to be sure it is an actual violation. And then I would try to reach out to the writer first so they can attempt to correct the problem and hopefully learn something from it first.

Again, I would happily adhere to writing guidelines if I could find them here. That is why I started the thread to ask for feedback. And again, with a good working knowledge of SEO, I wouldn't have the same article on different sites.

Also, does anyone know the writing style that should be used here? Or is it up to the writer? I am used to an AP style site but as a tutor I have to teach and use APA and Oxford, depending on whether the student is in high school or college.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
        SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As Jimmy said, there are major problems with stolent/copied content here, if you move some of your online work here it will be flagged as duplicate content and suffer because of it.

When I move work, I cut and paste it into a new Hub, spend time adding pictures and making it look pretty, remove it from the original source, wait at least a few days, 10 to be safe and then hit the publish button.

As for the style of writing here, HP likes original, 'media rich' magazine style articles, full of pictures, polls and videos.  If the subject is already widley covered online it won't do to well here, most people try putting a new angle on it or add some useful and unique additions.

6. WriterJanis profile image92
    WriterJanisposted 9 years ago

Just want to welcome you Linda.

7. profile image0
    mts1098posted 9 years ago

welcome all...

8. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 9 years ago

Welcome Linda.  Happy you are here and if I can help you, let me know.

9. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages Linda!

10. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages and best of luck. Keep on writing. It is a wonderful platform to write, grow and glow and to earn some bucks too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)