Google has exactly the same problems as us

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Just spotted this on Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/googles- … n-nicholas

It explains why traffic is down for everybody including Google

"Google's core business, search advertising, is looking shakier than it has in years. The problem is the rise of mobile. Search advertising is the best way to make money on the web. But people aren't using the web as much on their mobile phones as they did on their desktops. Last quarter, Google's advertising business grew at its slowest rate in six years.

People are searching for products on Amazon, rather than using Google. The only reason search makes money for Google is that people use it to search for products they would like to buy on the internet, and Google shows ads for those products. Increasingly, however, people are going straight to Amazon to search for products. Desktop search queries on Amazon increased 47% between September 2013 and September 2014, according to ComScore."

In other words our hub traffic might be down but that's because Google's search traffic is - for two reasons.
    1) more mobile traffic - less traffic to adverts
    2) people going direct to Amazon and searching for goods they want to buy rather using Google

Thing is - Amazon has a really poor categorisation system..... and that's why curated lists do really well!

1. jodijoyous profile image60
      jodijoyousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amazon search is awful.  I just looked for library card socks.  They didn't have them. Some of the suggestions were reasonable (socks with books on them), but some were just wacky: justin bieber garbage, mens snow boots, ipad covers?!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years ago

I noticed this week that the default search engine on my latest edition Firefox browser is now Yahoo instead of Google. Is everyone finding this happening?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7872241_f520.jpg
      Yep, FF announced they're dumping G.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, yodaparadigm!

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Firefox had an exclusive agreement with Google that was not renewed.  They signed an agreement with Yahoo instead to be their search provider.  I'm so glad because most of my traffic now comes from Yahoo and Bing.

3. profile image0
    BarbaraCaseyposted 9 years ago

Need to think some more about this. For example, do I aim for a higher profile as an Amazon reviewer and write my reviews from my unique niche perspective (which I'm still working on)? Thanks for sharing this one.

4. stephenteacher profile image69
    stephenteacherposted 9 years ago

Unfortunately, we are not google.

The total searches has not gone down across the
    board. So HUBs should still be found at the same rate.

If someone can't find you using google, what makes you think
    yahoo(bing, really) is going to be any kinder, or send more
    volume?

Google's chrome is eating firefox's lunch. Firefox
    took a step to maybe try and trip google up.
    Fat chance there. Google's chrome will continue to grow.
    Firefox's decision is more about not helping their
    competitor. Why keep sending even breadcrumbs to google,
    when they are destroying your product?

Google owns mobile. Android runs more mobile devices
    than any other.

Google's revenue increased. Did our hub's? Theirs
    went up by 20%. Paid clicks went up by 2%. Small
    increase, but an increase nonetheless.

Getting back to firefox. I can't remember the last time I
    typed for a search in the toolbar. Besides, anyone wanting
    google to be the default on firefox, just has to change the
    settings back. I did that as soon as the latest update.
    Yahoo is just a lousy experience using bing results.

Of course eventually I will join the majority and use chrome
    anyway.

Firefox is losing share...not gaining it. Having default yahoo
    is like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Google employs the best computer engineers on the planet.
    Something that we don't have either.

I do not rely on google, yahoo, or even hub for my success.

I would encourage everyone else to do the same.

makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This isn't a Google vs Firefox debate

This is about why Google is slowing in the marketplace - about why its core business of selling advertising is slowing.  It's still increasing - but by nowhere near as much as it has done in the past.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Stephenteacher, I beg to differ.  Most of my traffic is now from Yahoo and Bing.  And my traffic from Pinterest is increasing.  Google is a distant fourth for me.

1. justholidays profile image66
        justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I also get nice Bing  and Yahoo traffic.

Earlier this morning I checked my statcounter account and found out that Google ranked one of my sites for entirely wrong keywords. People looking for cards would get figurines as search results. They'd surely been disappointed. Hopefully they won't be disappointed by me but by Google's intelligent algorithm that is unable to make difference between one keyword and another.

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing that, makingamark. I found it very informative and extremely enlightening. I can now stop tweaking and tweeting my hubs thinking it's going to make a difference.

makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I suspect tweeting will still work as a way of raising awareness - especially as tweets don't figure prominently in Google search results!

6. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Back when I lived in San Franciso in the 90s, I dated a Yahoo search engine programmer.  A spam hunter to be exact.

All of the search engines actually sell search data and records to each other.  Google was getting something like 30% of its search results from Yahoo then.  In the end, the different engines actually aren't that different, and their search pools have been becoming more similar for over a decade.

The days of ranking better with different engines is disappearing.

7. shellys-space profile image60
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

My husband only using Bing on his Nook. He gave me and a Nook to and did a comparison to show me how much better Bing -vs- Google looked.

Bing has my vote for the Nook...it is cleaner, vivid pictures, and much easier to search.

8. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Google advertising is still growing!! Just slower than it has in past years but then it cannot always grow more and more every year... This is where companies and shareholders have stupid expectations to always do better year after year.. Growth is growth, and when you talk about growing on one of the worlds biggest profit makers that is significant...

That being said the move to mobile does impact most people who earn online.. I have noticed that there are more people searching using their mobile than a desktop now but that there are significantly less clicks on adverts from a mobile search.

9. TonyPayne profile image78
    TonyPayneposted 9 years ago

I attended an SEO presentation recently, and the consensus was that whereas in the past Google has given everything away for free, now you have to pay to get the highest placings in the search results, so in other words, if we don't pay, Google won't play, and searches will be down.

What I don't understand though is why Google are so slow to remove sites that spam and plagiarize from their search index. You would think that if visitors wanted quality search results that Google would give them that, rather than risk them using Bing or Yahoo.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)