Do you get a job and then continually criticise the managemet ?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I get tired of the complainers who think they are owed something.
    Do you join a team and then complain about the coaches?
    I know that HP does not "hire" us, but they do give us free opportunities to learn, improve and even earn.
    It is fine to offer suggestions to them for improvement, but why do so many people slam the opportunity provider?
    The guidelines are clearly stated, and anyone is free to leave at any time.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Actually a small but important part of my day job is to constantly seek to fix errors and find improvements for the company, because their motto is: standing still is actually falling behind.

Any company that banned criticism is one I would stay well away from

1. profile image0
      Amie Saysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. There was an incident with one writing company a couple of years ago where they banned a writer for something she said on a private forum about their management. Hundreds of writers walked out the door and they almost went bankrupt.

3. seraphic profile image67
    seraphicposted 9 years ago

If you have employees that are complaining it usually means that management is not living up to its very own standards or guidelines within the company. Often a company does not comply with governmental policies that are nation-wide and are laws, complaints occur.

What managers often forget about is the fact that they need to LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

If a manager wants to have a happy team, they need to sit down with the individuals and explore what the core of the problem is. Many times the solution is simple, for example:
    -Often the employee needs more training.
    -Guidelines should have video tutorials.
    -Reward systems can be set into place and provide incentive (B.F. Skinner-Token Economics)

Grumblers can be converted into productive team members at any point as long as they are allowed a voice.

4. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

Rochelle's point, which seems to have gotten missed, is a general question, pointing out that YOU should put on the shoes, not just say they are ugly.Bloom where you are planted. If it is going to be, it is up to me. Seraphic's point: Nobody is 'managing' the place, because WE are the place. We control what we write. We have rules for writing, but WE choose. As far as a HAPPY team... well... we aren't a team. Do we WANT to be a team?  And, back to Rochelle's point.. NO ONE is keeping you here to complain about the stone in your shoe. TAKE IT out. Put something on your blister. Be proactive. Your feet are sore, figuratively... loosen your laces. Put on different socks.. Soak your feet, and realize that others have sore feet, too.

Figuratively speaking.

Does anyone remember that woman from Saturday Night Live, Gilda Radner... talking about endangered feces? Remember she expounded on the fact that they weren't endangered and THEN, discovered they weren't talking about feces, they were talking about species... and then, she said, OH, never mind...

Well. never mind...

1. Baby-Boomer-58 profile image72
      Baby-Boomer-58posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What you say makes perfectly good sense to me, firstcookbooklady. smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Very well said.

5. seraphic profile image67
    seraphicposted 9 years ago

I find it very disappointing that "firstcookbooklady" feels we are not a team, we are.

Together we educate each other on the forums, answer questions, play games and make suggestions for changes good or bad.

My point was not directed at HubPages, I was trying to re-direct.

firstcookbooklady, if my post appeared hostile that was not the intent.

firstcookbooklady, HubPages is owned by a person or group of people. The owners do indeed hear us, consider points, issues and then make a decision as to the direction the site is heading in and how they can also earn from it.

Generally, as a rule I have stayed away from forums in the past as people seem to take things out of context and then "Flame Wars" break-out. It is why I do not moderate anymore, it is a burn-out.

This is not a flame war, popularity contest, or a place were we begin to start discussing the finer' points of excrement in relation to a Saturday Night Live episode.

Now back to the original posted question/ discussion.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to consider all hp writers as a team, seraphic. If we compare the number of writers on hp with the number of hubbers who actively participate on the forums, there's a huge difference.

Clearly a lot of writers create hubs in isolation with no sense of 'team'. I think it is fair to suggest there would be a percentage of writers who consider other hubbers to be their competition rather than team mates.

To my way of thinking, those who spend time on hp's forums are like the folk who congregate in the tea room at lunch time while many of their peers go elsewhere during their break. Shopping, the park, a little coffee shop etc.

If 'employees' who meet in the tea room during their break are complaining, does that necessarily mean that all the others are unhappy? I wouldn't think so.

The complaining might be one reason why others avoid the meeting place. Perhaps they are happy just to do their job and collect their pay on payday.

I agree with the message and tone in the original post.

2. firstcookbooklady profile image85
      firstcookbookladyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, as of now, I am officially FOLLOWING Rochelle Frank, Psycheskinner, Seraphic, Phyllis Doyle, Earner, Lisa HW and Valeant, which means that, DRUM ROLL, we qualify as a team.... because we are all aligned, our core principal is to work together... okay, when is break??? Whose turn is it to bring donuts???? Happy Wednesday, everyone!!!

6. earner profile image83
    earnerposted 9 years ago

I'll moan about who I like - and anybody who moans about moaners is ... well, a moaner.
    Pot, kettle, black .... and all that.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 9 years ago

It's one thing to raise legitimate concerns/issues, either directly to those running the show or in some public forum where the opportunity for several people/anyone to raise concerns/issues is welcome (and paid attention to).  In the case of these forums on HP, let's face it...    Not everyone participates on here with the "purest" and most community-minded of motives.  Generally, I think it's a good thing for there to be this one place where anyone who has a concern/issue can share whatever challenges they're dealing with on here (because there are so many different types of Hubs/writers; I think it's good that the HP team get a reading on the issues of anyone having them.. 

In offline work settings, constantly criticizing management is either a matter of someone's being so miserable he really ought to leave.  There's either raising issues directly with management or constantly criticizing behind the backs of management.  People who raise issue directly can either go with the answer they get, decide to live with what's a problem for them because they're OK with "not-perfect", or decide to leave if there are so many issues they just don't belong at the place.  The behind-he-back kind of criticizing of management is most often seen as unprofessional.  If it's bad enough it's seen as demoralizing, destructive and generally a sign that the individual who does it "has issues" other than those he deals with in workplace.

Offline or on, when people have seen enough ships sink around them, and they fear that they're seeing that the one they're on may be next; they sometimes don't always know when it's time to keep trying to prevent disaster and when it's time to jump ship.  In a way, you can't really blame them for that either.  hmm

Of course, on the Internet there's the potential for one or another kind of gain from starting some whole, big, negative, criticizing, discussion.  In offline life, there's not much to be gained, and a professional/personal reputation to be lost, by inappropriate and/or constant criticism of management.

I think on here, a little issue-raising, concern-raising, isn't just reasonable, it's important.  Too much and a person starts to make himself look really bad, or at least questionable.   For me, whether it's on here on in offline life, I'll raise an issue/concern; and that's kind of it.  I see what happens, and take it from there.  I can either live with "whatever" or else do the next thing.    I do think what would be good on these forums would be if more people actually came on here to have one or another kind of "legitimate" discussion (stay out of the religion and politics ones and there's little chance of too much hostility.  That, I think, would help balance out some of complaining/criticizing threads (reasonable and sincere concerns or not).

8. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Sorry, but I don't agree with the analogy.  They take 40% of the ad revenue our hubs generate and our remaining 60% is highly variable and affected by managerial decisions.

An hourly or salaried job does not really work like that.  Every position I've held I still got paid even if my direct supervisor made what I considered to be bad or questionable decisions. 

So anyone who contributes hubs here is within their rights to criticize any aspect of the site's operation they think could decrease their earnings.

I want to know if we have a right to complain about the complainers. Because they too can decrease our earnings.

Years ago I worked for a successful business. Among the many staff was a group of three vocal complainers. Between them they managed to shake the community's confidence in our bosses - which then spread to embrace our entire business and even our high-quality products.

What should have continued to be a profitable and successful business floundered within 12 months with the loss of jobs etc. With the benefit of hindsight we could all see we should have told them to shut up instead of just ignoring them.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Too much complaining can be a sign that an "outfit" that had been doing well has started not to do so well, or else is suffering the symptoms of the beginning of a downward spiral.  in othr words, sometimes, a lot of the talk that may appear to be the cause of a downfall is SOMETIMES just one of the beginning symptoms that all isn't as well as a lot of the apparently-not-worried/aware people think it is.

No doubt, too much "negative talk" isn't a healthy thing for one reason or another.  For the most part, I think people aren't stupid.  Most of the time it's pretty obvious who is "just a complainer", who is only worried about his own interests without regard to anyone else,  who is trying to offer genuine (but not necessarily positive) input, who is just out to make trouble, etc. etc.  As with things like office gossip, nobody has to join and pile on.

Trying to shut people up doesn't work for any number of reasons, and people who are just naturally the type to remain silent about things can be a lot of destructive than those who voice legitimate concerns or even those who are "just complainers< or else those who are just for their onw, individual, interests.

9. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 9 years ago

Spatula.  Sorry, this thread needs some confusing, yet unrelated material.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Well, there are thousands of hubbers and you can't please everyone.

One thing bosses can't seem to do is figure out a legitimate complaint from a silly complaint. Bosses either care too much or not enough. In Hubpages case, they care WAAAY too much about the silly stuff and not enough about the practical stuff. I really love that they are caring and empathic bosses, but wish they'd put some action on the practical things sometimes.

When they figure this out, then we will ALL move forward and upward to better things!

And some people are just born complainers. Best to ignore.

2. profile image55
      leemasenposted 9 years ago

I always appreciate the start up company who hardly provides salary but gives an opportunity to learn something new in field related and can go to higher place to have a better opportunity and management is same as everywhere were we can learn and flourish

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

https://i.imgflip.com/h97qe.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)