My hub hopping experience

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. TimothyArends profile image75
    TimothyArendsposted 9 years ago

I decided to give hub hopping a try. I was curious to see how good (or bad) the hubs were. I found some good hubs, others not so much.

After about my second or third hop, I came across a hub that read alright for the first two or three paragraphs, and then quickly devolved into some kind of gibberish that sounded like it was generated by an article spinner. In fact, a goodly percentage of the hubs I came across were like this. Of course, I rated them accordingly.

Unfortunately, after a bit of hopping, I discovered that I was being shown the same hubs that I had rated already. This was too bad, because I learned that there is a fair amount of junk out there, but my time was being wasted.

I think hub hopping is a good idea, but obviously there are some kinks that have to be worked out of the process.

1. peachpurple profile image80
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i prefer the classic hub hopping where i can rate the hub i like and skip the ones i don't like. Furthermore i can see the author profile page. New hub hopping was a bad experience, can't see who is the author and most hubs are not my interests

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
        SheilaMilneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just refresh/reload the page and you will be given the option to skip that hub.

2. aesta1 profile image92
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I tried it out I think but I did not like the experience.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Hub hopping is not how I like spending my time. 
    My hat is off to those who care to take the time to hop hubs.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

There were several advantages to the Classic Hopper.  I'm pretty sure the new version doesn't get the usage the old one did.  I understand the premise of the sliders, but the guidelines are ambiguous and a bit subjective, and can be interpreted in more than one way. 

I do miss having access to profile page of the person publishing the hub. I found people I wanted to follow through 'meeting' them on the Hopper. It's also a good way to find serious violators of the site's TOS. There have been times when a hub in the Hopper raises red flags and, after checking the profile and other published hubs, we can see a strong pattern of spam or other abuses.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

By searching for the hub title you can find out who the author is.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 9 years ago

I used the old hopper a lot but refuse to use the new one at all. I cannot be bothered to fill in loads of meaningless scoring parameters.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. The new hub hopper is too time consuming. I used to hub hop several years ago and basically used a pass/fail system. Either the hub was good enough to be published/featured or not. I could get through them rather quickly this way. The new hopper is just too in-depth and time consuming for me to want to bother with it.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right.  I don't want to grade hubs like an English teacher grading essays, if I did, I'd sign up to be a QAP rater -- who at least gets compensated for it.

Yup. I wish they'd bring the old one back.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely!
          Except of course people from the UK, like me, are not wanted in the paid programme.
          Having said that, I probably still wouldn't bother because the  recompense paid to QAPpers is miniscule.

6. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Bring back the old hub hopper!

7. Dressage Husband profile image67
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I agree with the comments made here. It is now difficult to hop Hubs quickly and therefore I am way less inclined to hop. Also I was finding that most of the stuff being sent was garbish so hopping was just a great way to waste my precious time.

8. Rangoon House profile image89
    Rangoon Houseposted 9 years ago

I am a novice hopper, so cannot relate to the old hopping that many of you refer to, but in the handful of hubs I have hopped, I have to say that I was hopping mad at the poor content and actually wondered if it was for real, but I guess it was, so I will hop back to it for a final run through.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, hubs are sent to the hopper before they have passed the QAP, so (hopefully) the terrible ones you're seeing will never be published unless they are first improved. Give them ratings you feel they deserve.

Also, if I remember correctly, there are a few "test" hubs thrown into the mix. These are used to gauge the accuracy of a hubber's scoring -- so HP will know and throw out the hopper scores of someone who is trying to troll or abuse the system by giving the terrible test hubs a high rating, or nicely done test hubs a low rating.

2. profile image0
      Jill Mooreposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm a novice hopper too. I'm also an English examination marker and it reminded me a bit of the day job - including those times when I agonise over whether to award a 5 or a 6! I did read that the hubs being hopped hadn't passed QAP yet so I wasn't too horrified by the standard. If anything, I felt a little reassured that I can hold my own in terms of quality hubs.

I did feel a bit guilty doing it when I only have one currently published hub but I see it as part of my training on HubPages - a counter balance to some of the truly fantastic Hubs I have come across wandering around the site. It helps me gauge the standard and seeing some non-stellar hubs makes me appreciate the great ones when I find them!

1. Dressage Husband profile image67
        Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was exactly my feeling too when I started!

9. Popit profile image61
    Popitposted 9 years ago

I've had just one go, and it wasn't that good an experience.  I often read stuff that's not within my field of interest, it's challenging and I have discovered many new writers  in this way.  I thought I'd give hub hopping a go and do my bit, rather than gravitate to my favorite hub topics.  The stuff I hopped was pretty dire and made me,(just for a second,) wonder why I'd bothered pouring over my first hub, proof reading and generally worrying about the content.  I've seen better stuff posted on Facebook!  6 photo's of your cat, four lines of twaddle and a survey of 'How cute my cat is' is not, in my humble opinion, worthy of a place in HubPages.  I am so relieved to find out that this kind of nonsense is hopped before the screening process.  I was beginning to think that 'Kitty c**p was some kind of new, higher form of literary art, which in my ignorance; I had failed to understand.  Phew.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)