Do you contend that racism in America is slowly becoming a thing of

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12394123.jpg
    the past or has racism is worse now than it has been in 3 decades?  There are those who strongly assert that we Americans live in a postracial, post Black society where racial boundaries are increasingly disappearing and there are unparalleled opportunities for Blacks in untold numbers.  They even cite the increase of Blacks in the affluent classes.  However, there are others who vehemently insist that the racism is worse than ever with the further socioeconomic disenfranchisement of Blacks including a very high unemployment rate and increasing poverty.  They further cite the increasing numbers of Blacks incarcerated in prisons.  They would even go as far to state that Blacks are being targeted for eventual annihilation by the dominant society.  Discuss.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We need stats from specific areas. We need charts and graphs.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

About two years ago TIME magazine looked nationwide at the role of race on many facets of life across the recorded history of the USA.  It was equal parts encouraging (because of the improvement) and discouraging (because of the gaps that remains).

2. realtalk247 profile image77
      realtalk247posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Racism is at an all time high right now. Just because you don't say derogatory  terms to people's face does not mean you view minorities as equals.  Choosing not to hire Qualified candidates for jobs, giving second class service while witnessing others provided with excellent service, and watching preferential treatment from management guiding "their own"to be successful in the workplace. Nothing has changed. Anyone believing differently is  misguided.
      While there are more consequences for "frowned upon" behavior, the attitudes and beliefs have not changed when it comes to racism.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Many of the tangible aspects of racism are indeed better than they have ever been in history (looking at education, wealth and incarceration gaps), but I think sometimes it takes causing a fuss to deal with the last stubborn institutionalized remnants. Perhaps partly because these are often perpetuated unconsciously by people who have no deliberate evil in their hearts.  So it takes a bit of a push for people who do not think of themselves as racist to dig up those conditioned biases and confront them.

We still have some heavy lifting to do when it comes to unconscious bias and the consequences of long-term segregated neighborhoods and institutionalized racism, and the remaining self-perpetuating ghettos.  These things have deep roots in the past that cut of some families from acquiring inter-generational inherited wealth and thus access to the highest reaches of education, land ownership, and political influence.

The meritocracy is not quite yet here and some people are still born into unjust disadvantages be it geographically, racially or otherwise.  But things are, overall, so much better and generally continuing to improve so long as we as communities continue to care and strive for a just world.

[Getting off my soap box here].

3. danicole profile image68
    danicoleposted 8 years ago

I don't know if its slowly becoming a thing of the past anymore. Before I did used to think that, but coming on here and various other places online, watching the news (with their own agenda in mind) reading comments about topics of race; I realize we have a LONG way to go.

I feel racism is definitely more internalized and not as outward/obvious now then it probably was back then. Its been ingrained and indoctrinated into the American society, and most Americans don't want to talk about it, address it and pretend it doesn't exist.  Racism shaped this world, I would say its build/programmed into our psyche.  I don't think that in my lifetime, my kids, their kids, their kid's kids would see a successful eradication of racism. Maybe in a couple of centuries when we know more about our human origins.

I would say it is getting better and we have more exposure to other cultures. Understanding and being honest will help us get closer to where we should all be.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

++++++, excellently said!

I am not racist and have never been. I know NO young people who are. The older generation…yes.

I think we as we mature as a society and evolve through the development and evolution of brotherly love, this issue will be come a total non-issue.
        And WAY sooner than one might know.
        Who here on HP forums is racist?
        I would guess not one of us!
        Are children naturally racist?
        NO!
          As adults preserve the natural trust and acceptance that children have toward one another, no matter what ancestral heritage, thats the future.
        And, of course, I am preaching to the choir.
        Who would disagree??
        WHO!

4. Zeph1 profile image86
    Zeph1posted 8 years ago

It's not as bad of a problem as it once was but the media, politicians and some organized groups have certainly become better at pushing an image that it has gotten worse. For their own benefit, of course.

+1

2. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they push the image that there is racism going on, in order to make excuses for the problems of increasing crime and poverty in the black community. Why not blame it on whites? That's the easy way out, instead of trying to solve thier problems in a productive manner.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)