Editbot

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Au fait profile image83
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

The new editbots are all over my hubs right now, the ones introduced just today.  Now for some reason I can't do anything on my hubs in the edit mode.  Neither can I leave the edit mode once in it.  I must close down the window and reopen HubPages to get out of the edit mode. 

Will improvements eventually evolve to the point where all we can do is read the hubs that someone attaches our name to?  I think we're there now.  I can't do anything at all to my hub in edit mode, so what's the point of emphasizing errors if we can't fix them anyway?

1. janderson99 profile image52
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have a large number of hubs which show the Editbot icon symbols, including the new black ones, which have No Errors and No "show x corrections" buttons at the top of the page. Weird! I emailed the team but no response.

1. moonlake profile image81
        moonlakeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Now that I have gone through all the hubs, same problem here with two hubs.

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Open each hub, click on 'show corrections (new) then exit hub. Icons will be gone when you go back to your accounts page. The problem is everything you thought you did already has to be done again. hmm

1. Judy Filarecki profile image71
        Judy Filareckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jan. That cleared them except for one that show a bot but does not show a link to view the error. HubPages crashed twice while I was going through the 25 I had, mainly while in the edit mode.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My editbot pages do not show any corrections signs. What am I supposed to do. Just re-edit and guess?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Look at the new thread on this issue, not this really old one.  The issues discussed in this thread are not related tot he current wave of editbot symbols which indicated the changes have been made and are a done deal.  You see nothing listed because there are no new edits being made.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
            Dr Billy Kiddposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

3. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 7 years agoin reply to this

hmm is right.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Au fait, I've got editbots all over my Hubs too, but I'm having no trouble editing or rearranging - I just tested it. 

I don't know what to suggest, you could try posting in the Technical Questions section?

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They are confused a bit or perplexed. I have already mentioned two times how to edit them. One should think calmly and then start doing them.

4. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm having no trouble getting rid of the editbots or going in and editing my hubs.

5. Siddhartha Speaks profile image60
      Siddhartha Speaksposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have heard about edit bots..can please someone help Me by sayin how to usethem in My hubs

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Edit bots were introduced more than six ms ago to repair spelling and grammar mistakes in hubs. Hub Pages did it automatically, the only power the writer had was to approve or deny the changes. You can't choose to use them yourself and may have to wait until the next introduction, if there will even be one. I suggest you use a program like Grammarly.

6. Kristen Howe profile image89
      Kristen Howeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I've noticed it last week along with some with Hub Pro symbols. About twenty or so, I've spotted those same edit bots. And when I've checked those hubs, they have minor errors from one or two words, including one I've found in an old comment.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

All of the original 'bots' are still on my hubs which have already been edited in some other way besides the 'bot' suggestions, as well as many of the new black 'bots' that indicate comment corrections.

In the initial round, I did view the correction suggestions by clicking on the 'view x corrections' tab.  Once there, and if I decided to allow or disallow those edits, I went into edit mode to also make a few other minor changes, to cause a change in the "changed on" date stat, so as to keep track of which ones I'd looked at, and which not.

There are no new ones except for the new black icons, and yet, all of them are still cluttering up my stats page...and we have been promised a removal once they were reviewed...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is a great idea. I got tired of trying to review mine because I was always coming back to hubs I had already looked at.
      Overall, I think it is working the way it is supposed to, and am not worried about the changes.  Changes in hubs and comments are mostly punctuation and spelling.

3. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

That's interesting. I've reviewed a dozen of them and they haven't disappeared. Black bots for comments? Interesting. Mine are all white for both text and comments.

Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's been several hours since I first tried to edit one of my hubs and I still can't do it.  The original white bots are mostly gone from my account/stats page and it's now peppered with the black bots.

I can click on 'edit' and it takes me to the edit mode.  I can again click on the 'edit' for each capsule, but then it won't let me edit anything.  I can't access the organization where you move capsules around or anything.  I can close the 'edit' of the capsule, but I get nowhere when I click on "done editing."  I just have to close that window and open another one to get out of that mode and go anywhere else on HP.  Crazy.

After you click "done editing", the 'show corrections' bar disappears. And you can click the ' My account' or "profile" and open new ones. But the editbot will not go whatever you may do. It is fixed there for all time until the administration finds a way to get rid of them.

1. janderson99 profile image52

I have 374 of the Editbot aliens, despite having no errors in any of these tagged hubs and no correction buttons. They reminds me of Cybermen from Doctor Who

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12663918_f248.jpg

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know this is a really obvious question, but you never know.  You ARE looking at these Hubs in read mode, and not in Edit mode, aren't you?  You can't see them when you are in Edit mode.

I first looked at them in read mode, but then clicked on edit mode to make changes.  Not changes relating to the bots, but changes I felt were in order separate from the bot's correction.  I was able to open different capsules in edit mode, but could make no changes.  I could exit the capsules from edit mode, but I could not exit the hub itself once in edit mode.  I had to close the window completely and open a new window on order to go back to the hub's read mode or to go to a different hub, to a different page, a different site, or to do anything at all.  Clicking on 'done editing' was like clicking on a link that is dead, nothing happened.

This situation lasted for several hours, but finally around midnight things started working normally again.

My thanks to everyone who tried to help.  It worked itself out it seems and why it happened in the first place is anyone's guess.  I tried to make changes to my hub about 4 times over a period of 6 hours or so to no avail, and then around midnight things started working as they should.  I was able to make the changes I wanted and to exit the edit mode back to the read mode and close the hub again with changes saved.

Anyway, I very much appreciate the ideas and effort everyone made who responded and tried to help me solve this issue.

2. janderson99 profile image52

@Marisa
              http://www.wotisnew.com/right.jpg

1. Judy Filarecki profile image71
                Judy Filareckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have the same problem with one of mine and matter what I try, It doesn't go away or show where the problem is.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
            PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Cybermen! Hah hahah

2. Au fait profile image83

I don't care about the editbot.  It can sit there with the other synbols for this and that forever.  I just want to be able to edit my hubs, and to be able to back out of the editing mode without having to close the window and start over.  I know most people are hating the bots themselves, just the sight of them.  They don't bother me.  I just want to be able to make changes to my hubs, etc.

That is what I am telling. After editing, you click the "done editing" button and then go to the other hub by clicking my account or profile buttons. That is how to go back for you. No other option.

4. DeborahDian profile image78
    DeborahDianposted 8 years ago

I'm so sorry you are having this problem, because I consider you one of the best writers here, and certainly one of the most thoughtful and knowledgeable. Perhaps if you try again in a few hours, the editing mode will work better for you.

I am busy right now just deleting a bunch of Hubs, since I cannot get a straight answer from anyone with any authority here.  I will still keep my featured Hubs here ... until they unfeature the rest of them, I guess.  It just isn't worth it to keep beating my head against the wall without any support from the administrators!  LOL

I wish I could help you with your editing problem.  I am currently not having any problem in the edit mode ... but I guess that could change.

5. Au fait profile image83
    Au faitposted 8 years ago

Thank you Deborah.  It's mainly frustrating.  It makes no sense that I can't edit my hubs if I want to.  Appreciate you taking time to respond and all your kind words.  I wish you good luck with the issues you're having too.

1. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Try logging out of your computer, shutting it down, unplugging at the wall, walk away and make yourself a drink, read the paper for 15 minutes - and then come back and plug in again, power up and log back in and see if it's changed.

Sometimes you just have to make your computer forget what has been happening! smile

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I occasionally have this problem when using Google Chrome, Au Fait. When "edit mode" won't work I usually find that by logging in with Mozilla Firefox it works ok.

6. DeborahDian profile image78
    DeborahDianposted 8 years ago

I'm so glad it worked out for you, eventually!  smile

7. Kristen Howe profile image89

Today I did see the black bots next to the white bots. Now I hope when I review the same reviews with the bots again, it would disappear. Hmm.

8. lawrence01 profile image63
    lawrence01posted 8 years ago

Got to admit. When I first heard about them I thought they'd be good as they would be a chance to improve the hubs, but the way it's been worked out is plain dumb!
    We're getting the 'editbot' but there's no way to go in and actually make changes especially when they're in the comments sections!
    Let's face it people making the comments don't want to be worrying if their comments are 'grammatically correct'! They just want to say what they think and be done with it! I think a serious re-think has to be done here as the way it's been applied is counterproductive!

If we are going to have 'editbot' going through our hubs then I learn nothing by having a 'bot' make changes for me! I'd rather have it tell me where the changes are needed and build a way that I can go and make them (even in the comments)!

Another frustrating part is most of the changes I need to make I put it in right the first time and the spellchecker told me it was wrong so I changed it !! Now the editbot is telling me the spellchecker is  wrong! Which one should I trust?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The comments are changed automatically by the editbot--all you can do is say yay or nay by either leaving the box checked to say 'yay' or say 'nay'  by un-checking it.

As far as content within your hub, it works the same exact way.  Accept; leave the box checked; revert to what you had, un-check the box.

But, I do agree with you about the inconsistency with the spell-checker within the capsules!  That needs to be addressed--make up their minds.
      The issue I had trouble with there was dates:  1960's or 1960s.  The internal spell checker said the former example was wrong, and wanted the apostrophe; the edit bot said the apostrophe was wrong, and wanted the latter version.  MS Word, where I write all my originals, doesn't care either way, and I consider that a far better spell-check tool.

1. lawrence01 profile image63
        lawrence01posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly the same problem I had.

2. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Me too - LOTS of them. In fact I got really frustrated with the number of editbots I saw (re art history hubs) which related to an apostrophe which I would NEVER have included in an indication of a decade.

First they change my spelling and then they tell me I've done it wrong!!!!

Just LEAVE MY WORDS ALONE and stop creating problems which waste people's time!

9. Kristen Howe profile image89

I finally was able to remove some bots from my hubs, when I exited it out and went back to the feed. When I checked, it was gone. I only saw one hub with a bot by it so far today.

10. einron profile image55
    einronposted 8 years ago

How to Erase Printed Errors in Hubs

Visit My Account - See if any of your Hubs have edits applied to
    them. Hubs with edits have a robot icon next to their titles.

1. At the top of the page you will see

edit stats  Delete  (show 2 corrections)

2. Click  on (show up to x or 2 corrections)

3. After clicking on show 2 corrections, you will be able lo
       see "edits" highlighted in orange.

4. You can uncheck the box to the left of the edits (Take out the
       x in the box.)

5. Click another time so you can uncheck the 2nd edit.

6. After you have finished, click HubPages

7. For more editing, start the process again.

Hope this helps both of you.  I did have a problem before but have managed to delete all mistakes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)