Is the hubber score really that important?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (54 posts)
  1. emohealer profile image67
    emohealerposted 14 years ago

I didn't come to hubpages for a score, I came to write, read and learn, to meet fellow writers and make friends.  So far I have been very successful at that and enjoy it tremendously.  My score doesn't affect any of that. I will be staying, sharing, writing, reading, learning and enjoying no matter what.  Thanks to all of the wonderful writers and friends I have met so far.

1. alekhouse profile image72
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

These are the reasons I joined hub pages also and have had the same experience as you. I love it here. But I tend to think Sandra has a good point too.

emohealerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As you say, both are good points, but would the score changing up cause you to leave?  I am not going anywhere!

1. alekhouse profile image72
          alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely not. I have written more consistently and tried out more topics and styles that I ever had before joining. It's a great place to experiment with the varying aspects of writing, and the feedback is invaluable, regardless of the score

2. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, if my score sucks, it doesn't hurt my feelings. I will say 1 good thing. The higher the score the higher the traffic. The more traffic, the more clicks. It does have advantages if here for simply money rather than entertainment. I am here for entertainment, but I don't mind money.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually it's the other way around.  The higher the traffic, the higher the hubscore.

A high Hubscore may cause you to be seen on the front page, but paying traffic doesn't come from the front page of HubPages. It comes from search engines - and search engines don't give a damn about your Hubscore.

3. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A HubScore is a reflection of what a person is doing in terms of quality hubs and the traffic they get (and a few other things, but that's the two main things). Quality hubs first, high HubScore second.

It's a side effect. Having a high HubScore doesn't make a quality hubber.

The pursuit of a high HubScore is getting it around the wrong way. When people put 'high HubScore' on their list of goals, they miss the point entirely. And they tend to overlook the quality hub bit completely.

2. KCC Big Country profile image82
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

That's a great attitude to have Emohealer! We all tend to get too wrapped up in the numbers. I wonder how different things would be if they did away with the hubber score?

That would be interesting to see, hmmmmm

3. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Well, I personally do think it is important.  If you go the Hubbers section at the top and look.  Hubbers with the highest scores get seen first.

I joined to write too but I also joined because I wanted to be seen.  I do plenty of writing that I can look at myself all day long so...

You will continue to be seen as will I, fans are fans, posts are posts, people will find us in their email, DIGG great hubs and share, where there is quality, readershp follows.

It is true, we don't get found first, but as they say in any business, word of mouth is the best seller.  Thanks for your input, well made point.

4. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I like the hubber score feature because I find it gives me an incentive to improve my hubs. I'm certainly not making the money - my hubber score is all i got! lol

I won't be leaving either, I love hubbing and meeting new writers - also I am completely addicted to this site!

1. Ladybird33 profile image66
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am addicted to my friend.  I do like to see the scores as well but regardless, I am came for the sames reasons as others.

2. emohealer profile image67

Me too, (the addiction), nice to meet another fellow writer who is staying irregardless.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

The key to more traffic is not necessarily to get on the front page of HubPages. The key is to get the search engines to find you and for people from outside the site to find you.

1. marinealways24 profile image59

Keywords?

2. emohealer profile image67

Another great perspective, thanks for sharing it.

3. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well put smile

6. ajparker profile image61
    ajparkerposted 14 years ago

Well - today I woke up to an author score of 32 after yesterdays 86 or 88.... so, I'm a bit deflated and mystified, but not leaving over it.  To the contrary I spent some time reading about author scores to try to figure out what that drop was all about.

I'm still not sure what happened (both my current hubs are now in the mid 70s - yesterday they were touching the 80s.)

When it was fluctuating between 78-88 I didn't pay it much attention, but with a drop like this it certainly caught my attention!  I wouldn't give up over it though.

All Right!  Staying no matter what! yes, it does deflate the ego a bit, but nice to know the passion remains.

I think it is a good thing scores have dropped. Many have a huge ego and think they are elite because of their hub score.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
          Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The people who always have high scores work hard at adding worthwhile hubs so I'm not so sure that huge egos has anything to do with it

That would be a good debate. I disagree. I did say "many" and not "all". If the score is simply based on hubs and hub quality, how do people get high scores with so few hubs or time at hubpages?

No matter what, it all depends on finding the right subject to write about WELL and what ever is being searched for on the internet... nothing to do with huge egos.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who thinks they are better because of scores?  It's nice to see but in the long run it really is meaningless.

Just because you or I don't think that doesn't mean that others don't.

To each their own, just curious as to who placed high importance on the score versus the writing and the passion itself.  It can all make a difference based on priority placement.  Thanks for all of the input.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
            livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Don't really care what the hubber score is as long as my stuff is still getting the search engine traffic and it is.  My score took a big dip last night and bigger this morning but it seems to be back to normal, but the traffic to my hubs never stopped or even slowed down.  Actually, I hit 10,000 page views 3 days ago and now I'm at 11,000 so traffic has actually increased.  For me, that's all that matters.  Oh, as my hubber score dropped, my individual hub scores remained normal.

Very nice!  Awesome traffic flow....Congratulations!

3. KIMTEJEDA profile image60
            KIMTEJEDAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I AGREED! KIMTJEDA

7. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

I would say it is based on the number of posts already up here in the forum due to the sharp decline of the hubscores for the past two days.

You may have a point there.

8. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I'm work as a ghost/freelance writer and at times I include some of my relevant hubs as samples when applying for jobs, so a high hub score is a better calling card then a low one.
    Also after a while when you get accustomed to seeing your hubscore in the upper nineties you kind of get floored when all of a sudden it drops way down. Last week my latest hub had brought my score up to a hundred for a few days then settled down again at 98 where it usually sits at. This morning it had dropped down to 86 then a couple of hours ago it dropped to 33. It's on its way up but it still gave me a jolt...
    The hubteam is probably busy fixing the booboos as we speak

You are right, I am sure it is a glitch, and the booboos are being fixed.  It is quite a jolt as you say, but not reasoning for leaving by any means.

Who was saying anything about leaving? This is just a new gidget or gadget the hubteam is adding on. You know when "boys and gals" have toys they keep fiddling with the knobbies here and there just to get better mileage...better this and that. It will back on an even keel soon enough.

Very Nice!  Love how you put that!

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Zsusy: I understand that I always work on keeping my score in the 90's and if I dip I myself become a little agitated. I believe I have to get back to writing after a computer hiatus it is back to having some fun. I know that HP was correcting the issues when I had came back on to HP, so I have never became overly concerned after being here for 2 years many of us know that they stay on top of things. The objective is to keep on writing. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image72

Good advice.

It's just a hit in the head when you look at HP's help section on Hubscores and compare your scores to find that I dropped from being a "prodigy" to just a plain old "expert" overnight.

I'm jsut kidding..lol

1. AEvans profile image72

Definitely the right advice AEvans, the most important is to publish well written hubs and the 'hubscore thingy' will do the rest...

Well put advice, I appreciate so much positive input.  So many experts and everyone having something of value to bring here.  Thanks!

2. livewithrichard profile image72

Thank you, We are all experts in some way or another which is why we are here. This is why HP is such a great social network.

1. AEvans profile image72

It certainly is.big_smile

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Well, I personally am glad to see others concerned and this conversation.  I realize that the author score thing 'should' be insignificant, but then I realized this is about a person's work--putting your creative work (and part of yourself) out there, really (at least for me).

I'm a professional and use my real name, so of course there is a bit of importance attached to any sort of score.  I at first thought it was depressing, and that I should work harder (negativity always seems to affect a person), then I thought--  Well, if this is how they would categorize me, I should think twice about all the time I put into Hubpages.

But glad to know it is a bug and they are working on things.

Thanks for your input, so many different perspectives, I really appreciate yours!

10. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

My self worth Is based on my Hubscore !(LOL LOL !) I started wrting on hubpages because I finally found an outlet to say what I have to say . And If It resonates with other people all the better ! I have never considered myself a writer nor did I see that as a future . But all the other things like a nice hubscore or making a dollar every month , are just Incidental to me . I keep my ego out of It and just enjoy the Interaction , It makes for alot more fun. Because fun should be an objective too ! smile

Absolutely awesome input.   I appreciate someone who has something to share and places value on it irregardless if someone else does.  Thanks for the reminder of the fun, yes, we should like what we do.  Glad you are having fun.

1. tony0724 profile image61
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Emo and I am glad you agree I think we sometimes take ourselves a little to seriously here ! smile

11. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I find the scores interesting, but don't really get too attached to what they are as they seem to change a lot.

You write really good hubs emohealer, and always seem to have a decent score when I pay a visit to one of your hubs.

I'm sure you aren't too far off getting a 100! smile

Thank You so much CM, there was quite a ruckus about scores looping.  I found it interesting and preferred to talk about why I am really here and conversate with others who were possibly like minded.  You are so kind!

12. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

It is important to me for this reason - attracting potential interviewees to want to be interviewed for this site. Interviews are used to gain publicity and so the more widely used a site is the more reason to want to be interviewed and featured on it. The higher the profile of an interviwee you can get the more traffic you can expect.

I am currently awaiting responses from several people I have asked and if they had a look here when my score was down it would be unlikely they would agree to spending their time answering a bunch of questions!

Bard, that is the best, most wonderful reason possible for making a difference.  Hope your opportunities survived the techno difficulties, you really put your heart into everything here!!!

2. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good job buddy having a 100 score. smile

13. profile image58
    sunil.menonposted 14 years ago

HI ALL,
    What i felt about Hub Pages are it more intresting to read new articles and post some good artciles
    and know people opinion on what should be done in what situation.

So its a cool site with all new comments, values,and ethics,thinkings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)