Swine Flu: 90,000 presumed could be killed.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (42 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Estimates concerning the virus as stated today when I glanced at a News Home page: It could kill between 30,000 and 90,000 people just in the United States and as many as 1.8 million people could be hospitalized.

Media Promoting Hysteria...or Real Factual Numbers that could occur? 

Weigh-in on which side of this very thin edge...you believe.

Personally...I would hope that this couldn't happen...but I feel like the media is hyping this one up...for some reason. To scare us? Or to make us be very concerned? How much more concerned can we be? What about other Nations...Are their Numbers up real high too? If not then...What does that say about this report?

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Victoria Australia where I live has a disproportionately large number of cases per capita.
      I wonder what the death rate for flue of the "standard" variety was/is?

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good Point, Earnest (about the regular flu...that is.)...Australia hasn't weighed in on a preset number yet?  But..aren't your seasons different than ours in a southern hemisphere...so are you in or at the end of a flu season? See this is what I'm wondering...How did the U.S. come up with this range? (Other than a shot right off the hip!)

2. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point...all my sources have said any of the typical flus we have had of late (last several years) have given us many more deaths and people infected than the swine flu has shown. Even though we are not in flu season...the doctor guy on CNN (?one of the main outlets) was just saying that the swine flu is much less virulent than any flu to date and will probably "morph" (my term) into something unlike what they are currently making vaccine for, in the fall.

So its my opinion it is a waste of time to go all fearful and and get yourself injected with woefully untested vaccine that they are throwing together too quickly and that have mercury and another chemical (I'll have to look the name up) proven to be hazardous to your health.

I won't even repeat the conspiracy theories I have read on the "why" the media is hyping this... tongue

2. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mass hysteria for sure

I Think your right, DB

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3689954606_10de23893a.jpg   
        Media trying to whip us into a frenzy! Although...Mind you I'm taking everything AE said earlier into consideration...100%!

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

36,000 Americans die from flu every year.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/disease.htm

So, I am going with media hype paid for by the makers of Tamiflu. big_smile

Yes...agree...Big Time Corporation that can effect change through advertizing money contributed to the Media to help hype it!

2. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Well I read it too and the scary thing is it was issued by the CDC and they predict half of us here will get it. I need to get my flu shots too. this year it's three of them I believe. One needs to take them in series.

I sure hope those won't all be in the butt-ocks!

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Tom-Hanks---Forrest-Gump--C10101930.jpeg

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Media Trying To Keep Their Jobs

Exacta-mundo!

4. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Seriously, I haven't had a flu shot in 20 years and have only had the flu once - and it wasn't that bad. I did stay away from the mall in flu season, kept Purell in hand-sanitizer mega-revenues, and only did my grocery shopping when everyone else was, well, somewhere else. But come on...

5. profile image0

LOLOLOL it will be worth it if it saves me. My immune system is nil so I must take them every season. I got a flu a few years back and because of the shot it wasn't too bad. # days later I was OK. My wife got it at the same times, no shot and it took her months to get over it. Got the Hong Kong fly in 68 or whenever it was and tho;t I was gonna die.

Man...ralwus...Did not know...your immune system was so low. You my friend...better stay indoors...this flu season. Hope your immune strength returns somewhat??? Best of Fortune...!

6. Play Free Games profile image56
    Play Free Gamesposted 14 years ago

H1N1 and regular flu is not what we have to worry about. If the swine flu mutates, then we are in for the unknown. You want to see panic and what will happen to the stock markets around the world.
    Stay tune to round 2.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. I don't want to see. But thankyouverymuch. smile

I'm with you on that one...Could we just bow out of that one?

2. manlypoetryman profile image81

Oh man...just when i was starting to breathe again!

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to keep breathing don't take
        http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0008.gif the flu vaccine!

http://www.thedctraveler.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/scary-guy.png

Scary!

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Australia is in the middle of winter so it's our flu season. Death rates are no worse than for normal flu.  Swine flu is usually fairly mild and feels the samea as ordinary flu, so most people don't even know they've got it - so I have no idea how authorities are managing to report accurate figures. 

As another poster said, swine flu itself is no more dangerous than ordinary flu, for most people.  Remember ordinary flu kills, too!  What they're really worried about is if it mutates into something nasty.

Ok...All very good points...and feel a little more knowledgeable after hearing another country discussed...So...then this confirms our media is going for the "hype" side to this...because there was no mention of the "mutation" of this virus would cause these kind of numbers...they just went straight into the numbers...That's  not reporting accurately. Like they really do...anyways!

8. profile image0

Man it could be like post WWI. I certainly hope not.

9. profile image0

http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/1218.gif

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/images/fs/large/36210333306.jpg

EEWWW...That looks bad...ralwus...here try some of this stuff on that....it can snuff venom clean out of a viper with just one little dab!

2. tantrum profile image60

Don't forget to wash your brain !! lol

http://crystalgraphics.imageserver1.com/thumb/1/medium/7946

here ya' go, mate...this might help!

1. tantrum profile image60

With a little help from my friends !

10. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

It is media I wish they would not send everyone into a panic,
    if you are older get your flu shot like you normally you do. Wash hands frequently and wipe those carts, drink and eat plenty of fruits and veggies and you will survive. smile

http://www.mikemarlin.com/phillies/scared.jpg

Flu Shot? Please AE...say it isn't so...anything but that...even eating plenty of veggies...just NOT that!

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehehehehhe!!!!!! big_smile

11. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

google donald rumsfeld and swine flu.

C'mon...Blue Dog...please! Let ol' sleeping dogs lay...as the saying goes...Where you at in the Texas Hill Country...Fredricksburg? Ingram? Kerville?

Ok...when I googled it...there might be the slightest merit...maybe...I read for two minutes...but how does he make this happen to get the $ off vaccines...when he is long since out of power...? All Conspiracy Theories have some degree of merit to them...or they couldn't sustain themselves for very long...I shouldn't be saying this on the internet but....there is mercury found in some...

http://blog.puppetgov.com/wp-content/2008/06/black_helicopters.jpg

wait...I think they found me...

1. blue dog profile image59
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey, you asked the questions.  whether someone's a sleeping dog or a sorry mutt is irrelevant to the information provided.  one may not like what one reads, one may not even agree with presented facts.  likes and agreements have little bearing on those actual facts.  if you read for two minutes, then you see his financial connection to certain issues that have appeared over the years.  if eighteen million dollars isn't enough incentive to create hysteria, nothing is.

http://knittersreview.com/images/05md_sleepy_sheep.jpg

I don't know about sleeping dog...or sorry mutt...But I have seen some sleepy sheep...and believe me, blue dog, (or not)...tooting your horn real loud on the forums section of hubpages...isn't helping get the problem solved...GUARANTEE That!

Has this been thoroughly proven as a connection...or does the facts come from one to twenty articles posted on Google? But then, I'm a skeptic even amongst skeptics...on many Conspiracy points...since he is long out of power. However...I will read more on the subject, 'cause like you reminded me I only read on it for two minutes...And surely there is always the fact that...Money talks...All else walks...

1. blue dog profile image59
            blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's always amusing to watch people, when presented with raw data, begin leading the sheople down the path of misdirection.

here's a bit more for you to swallow on searle, rumsfeld, tamiflu, and money.
            http://www.dorway.com/bressler.txt

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/scf2002.html

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? … p;aid=1148 (not that chossudovsky would skewer the facts).

read all this, with the links, and get back to me.  make sure  that you know what you're talking about the next time you accuse me of tooting my horn "real loud."

12. finsofts profile image40
    finsoftsposted 14 years ago

Here in India its spreading dramatically. be cautious..

13. profile image31
    564626posted 14 years ago

In india more then 50 lost their life. And more then 2,000 peoples found H1N1 positive... next few months will be dangerous.

14. rosariomontenegro profile image69
    rosariomontenegroposted 14 years ago

Google: Dr. Mercola swine flu.
    I'm copying and pasting some, just to give a taste:

World Health Organization considers the severity of the H1N1 virus to be moderate, meaning H1N1 flu is an illness which does not usually require hospitalization or even medical care.

Numerous studies have shown that flu shots DO NOT work.

According to the 2007 Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, flu vaccines reduced the risk of flu by only six percent and reduced missed work days by less than a single day, It did not, however, reduce the number of people who sought medical help or took time off from work.

Going back to the 2006 Cochrane Database, 51 separate studies concluded that the flu vaccine worked no better than a placebo in 260,000 children ranging in age from six months to 23 months.

A study published in the October 2008 Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine also showed that flu shots in young children have not decreased the number of flu-related doctor and hospital visits.

Dr. Mercola warns that flu vaccine ingredients may be more dangerous than the flu itself because aside from using a particular virus strain, flu shots contain dangerous substances such as mercury, antifreeze, formaldehyde, phenol, aluminum, detergent,...

I didn't read about the retired politician but I tend to take seriously what Mark is saying.

15. fivehorns profile image60
    fivehornsposted 14 years ago

I read somewhere that one of the states in the USA is going to fine people, if they refuse the shot. The H1N1 shot hasn't even finished medical trials yet. Hmmm, maybe excessive washing of hands is the trick. The media is nuts!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)