Latest Activity In Forums

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (30 posts)
  1. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

I believe this has been addressed before but can we please revisit it.

I have very little interest in the religion and political forum threads yet they seem to occupy 75%+ of the latest activity. It's an inconvenience to have to browse through Jesus this and Obama that just trying to read on topics relating to hubpages.

Is there anyway the latest activity can be reworked to have hubpages related categories on top and the religion, politics, business, etc. topics have a separate latest activity listing below???

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good idea , I wanted something similar a few months back ,but the more 'learned' ,lol, wanted the silly games put somewhere else ,so they could not be cluttered up with Hubtivity always showing nonsense games (in their opinion) hence the Sandpit was born.
      In my opinion there are only needs to one Political thread and one Religious thread anyway ,since the topic usually ends up same ole same ole..

Maybe someone will listen to you ,good luck smile

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

There have been several requests that users be able to somehow indicate only those forum topics they wish to view as a forum option, and I truly hope that HubPages addresses this issue.

3. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

I like the forums but I would love to see these changes implemented as well. It would be very useful to have the forums organized in a way that places the greatest emphasis on the hubpages aspects of  - well.........hubpages.

4. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Even if there were a separate page which showed only the feed of the HubPages Forums, without the Sandpit threads or the sub-forums of the By Category Forums. I'd bookmark that page and it'd be the place I'd go to first.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I've been trying to remember how the Forums looked before - whatever the setup was, I was only vaguely aware the By Category forums even existed, and was able to browse the latest posts fairly easily.

I always thought the new forum layout was a big step backwards from that.

One solution would be for the three forum sections to be separated so there's a "latest posts" section for the main forums, then a separate "latest posts" for the Sandpit and for the By Category forums.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

When I started you saw the latest posting in each forum rather than all the latest. I would love to go back to that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would work for me, too.

7. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I agree with Marisa; the new forum is a step backward. The old forum was much simpler and easier to use. No scrolling down to the bottom to get past games and other stuff you may not want to scroll through. I'd love to be able to pick what sections, I wanted to show for the latest activity.

8. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The whole forum layout isn't very pleasing, and there are many forum layouts available.  I really like the V Bulletin layouts.  Unfortunately, the Hub Page staff is small, and there is only so much they can keep up with.

There hasn't been much hub page talk here lately anyway.  I think people have found the religion and politics forum know its a free for all - so those topics will always stay on top.  People love to argue.  The other thing I've noticed is more and more people on these forums have never written a hub...they just post in here.

That's true, and I think that's the fault of the new layout.  Political and religious arguments and silly games dominate the "latest activity" - newbies browsing the forums would get the impression the forums are just for non-Hub-related chatter.

In the old forums, because the Hub-related threads were more visible, they were more active.

2. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think some of those "O hubbers" are just 2nd identities of regular hubbers here. They want to post in the controversial topics and it's a heck of a lot easier to be a complete $%%&@ when you're hiding behind anonymity.

9. Jane@CM profile image61

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

10. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Yes. I would be ecstatic, jumping for joy, doing cartwheels crazazy if I didn't have to scroll through a gazillion redundant religious threads. I don't care what else they do -- or don't do.

I say let's start a whole new website...

http://religion.hubpages.com.

That oughtta solve it.

The Lord be with you. smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen

An maybe the two or three threads about Obama's speech could be merged into one thread....

11. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

lol I agree ,its just so bizarre,almost like pacman (yea Im that old) push start doot.. doot.. doot..out pops Mark ..n gobbles up the pacmen lol and then if ya eat so many Christians your energy levels increase..

No wait ...was that another game lol.

That was FUNNY!

Think the hubpage staff will actually read this post????

Well Im sure they do, even if fleetingly smile but I will just plead the 5th or bake some cookies right now lol

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've quite new here, just a few weeks and wasn't going to forums at all until it was suggested that we go there at times to interact, etc. and form connections, find out new info.

There has to be a simpler way to display the forums without the more vocal and sometimes quite hostile threads always leading the pack.

I went into one of the political forums today and was very surprised to see the OP shout my name to follow the thread. I'm not one to just sit and follow these threads. I have no time for that kind of hostility so I left, and won't return.

A huge thank you to everyone who has welcomed me and I am learning so much with these fantastic, helpful articles to the newbies.

13. BristolBoy profile image63
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

Can't really add much to the debate other than to say I agree with the others that the previous format was better!

14. Jane@CM profile image61

It seems this is not a priority! sniff sniff big_smile

Why do you say that?

Take a look at the top two forums right now & tell me that Hub pages is doing anything???

Jane, are you going to apologise to the Hub team now - they've announced changes to the forums which I believe will address all of our concerns.

Remember that changing the way HubPages works isn't a two-minute job.  It takes a lot of reprogramming and they have to take care that a fix in one place doesn't break anything elsewhere. It's also a business, and money-making improvements have to take priority over "nice to haves".  But you see, they do listen.

lol Oh Please Marissa  you are so funny lol

15. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

just keeping the thread alive and agreeing that the new forum is a huge step back

at least cut the sandpit and 30 day challenge out of the recent activity

16. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'd like to suggest an interesting compromise.

Why not provide an options page that lets hubbers choose which forums they don't want to view.

Hubbers could just uncheck the forums they don't desire to view and new hubbers would be exposed to all before finding the way to uncheck them, allowing a new hubber to make a choice not to view a forum, based on the want not to continue seeing it.

Yes, it's a very low-tech solution, but I think it could really work ... especially for hubbers like me that find many interesting topics in many different forums.

This way, those who dread politics and religion could turn them off, and others could keep them on. smile

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

excellent suggestion!

2. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a great idea! I would love to see something like this implemented.

17. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

sounds good..a simple preferences option, pretty common feature

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)