What Else Do You Like (and Don't Like) About HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

I started this kinda as a spinoff of the thread on liking HubPages, which seemed to focus mostly on the community aspect of the site.  I'm curious as to what people like or don't like about HP, aside from the active community aspect.

Here's my (rather long-winded) start:

What I like:

Customer Service:  The customer service is better than on any other writing site I've used.  Not perfect--no website seems to have perfect customer service--but their email responses are to the point.  The fact that most members of the team have an active presence on the forums is unmatched anywhere else I've been.  Overall, they answer more questions than they raise.  And they answer them knowledgeably.

Their tech team:  Talented.  They do fantastic work.  Amazingly good compared to other large sites (sites where you wonder how the people who do the programming learned their stuff--programming a calculator?)

Few or minor glitches:  The glitches that happen here are somehow less frustrating to me than those that occur elsewhere--partly because they're minor and short-lived, and also because frustration is cut off at the pass by the customer service element, which acknowledges them and says, "We're on the case!"

Customizability:  That the hubs are so customizable is incredible to me.  You can do so much--choose tags, URL terms, summary text, layout...you can monetize so many ways, including doing self-promotion under strict but clearly-defined parameters--the list goes on.  This gives writers a lot--a lot--of power.

Convenience:  I look at my HubPages account as a website in a box.  HubPages serves as a kind of mall renting me space, allowing me to get busy doing my stuff.  (Like any good mall management team, HubPages sets the rules and the parameters, keeps the building warm and in good shape, and lets me decorate my space and advertise it as I see fit.  And because it's a kind of mall, it provides community benefits as well.)

Innovative:  HubPages is always moving in some direction or other.  I get the sense that behind the scenes, changes are simmering.  Options are always opening up.  Improvements are made at every level and in a variety of nooks and crannies on an ongoing basis.

Trustworthy:  I trust HubPages as a company.  I mean, Paul Edmondson, HubPages' and YieldBuild's CEO, has over 200 hubs on his own site, which means he's a customer, too. That's a subtle clue that they practice what they preach--which certain other sites don't.  And more prosaically, I tested the number of impressions HubPages got vs.  the number of impressions I got in a 24-hour period, and it was, indeed, 40/60.

Are there things I think could use improvement?  Yes.  Oh, yes.

The help pages could be better organized and written more clearly--people seem to have trouble finding the basic info they need.

I wish YieldBuild were optional, as there are times it just doesn't place ads optimally, AND it would be nice to customize the look of the ads by using different ad blocks and stuff. 

Even with YieldBuild working as it is, I wish I could see which ad units are performing and which aren't.  It would help me modify my layout.  Google Analytics' Site Overlay doesn't give data on the ad areas (or on text links, for that matter).

It would be nice to be able to put in capsules with java/html (as in Blogger) for affiliate product images.  And if HubPages could come up with a model to share in that revenue, that would be fine, too. 

In fact, more affiliate opportunities would be splendid.

I'd love another option for contextual ads besides Google AdSense (in case that goes bad for whatever reason--it's a shaky proposition to invest time in scads of articles that may be worthless if something happens to one's account) and Kontera (which I don't like).

Lastly--and this is my dream for the future--I wish HubPages would be even more mall-like and allow me more control over my space--move, in fact, in a direction closer to a web hosting model where you effectively, though not literally, rent instead of own your own webspace, only in the same community environment. This is, I believe, the wave of the future of the Internet as we continue to move away from a "jack-of-all-trades" model for Website owners toward a "do-what-you're-best-at" model where anybody who can write or do art or whatever can put up their own website with a minimum of technical knowledge in a day.

There's more, but I've got to stop procrastinating and start working...

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Well, I'll keep it nice and short eh ...

I've liked Hubpages more since I arrived smile

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
      Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gee Froggy cutie, when did you arrive? When you got legs, after you wrote your first 50 Hubs,  once you had 500 fans?? When did you arrive?????

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhh I don't know Deborah. Sometimes in the last 182.5 days. Let me check my journal wink

And he sure is short n sweet Darkside. Gotta give him that.

3. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

It looks like Fiction Teller is good at stating Facts! Well written and straight to the point.

4. Blake Flannery profile image93
    Blake Flanneryposted 14 years ago

I don't like that I waste a lot of time writing hubs.
    I like that I spend a lot of time on something constructive.

5. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 14 years ago

Wow, I guess you about covered it didn't you.  That's a pretty comprehensive list of likes and dislikes.  Point by point, you're spot on.

I'll add one thing to your dislikes.  I (and virtually everyone else) dislike the hubpage algorithm that scores things.  Let's face it...the thing's just wacky.  The way it rates hubber score and hub score has got to be a little more than random.  I think they could do a better job in keeping it consistent.

6. C.V.Rajan profile image58
    C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

Fiction Teller,

In fact, you look like a fact teller! Very good points, most of which I would agree with you.

I have some points:

1) I would like HP to add suitable display ads other than Google Adsense and share that revenue based on Page views (in addition to ad-click revenue).

2) As you scroll down your hubs, half of the screen is empty on the right side. That space can be utilized in some way, preferably to generate revenue. Or, at least, the article can be spread wider to occupy the space so that a long article need not have a long scrolling down.

3) In the discussion forums, we should have the option to select and quote only such a portion of a previous posting for cross-reference in our posting. It is a real pain to see 2 screenfuls of earlier postings quoted by a member just for reference to his single line response!

4) Some form of watch on the quality of contents is desirable. Where the content is substandard, some sort of warning to the writers may be issued.

1. Fiction Teller profile image59
      Fiction Tellerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I seem to recall reading on the site that something of this order is in the works--at least, something about their exploring the possibility of making the text columns wider.  I like it as it is, but I'm not good at visualizing how things will look beforehand, so that may constitute a real improvement.  Spreading out the layout could have at least one major affect, though...Amazon.com and eBay.com modules flanking the text would no longer line up.  Then again, it would be great to have more than one module size/style to choose from...

Which reminds me...about eBay.com capsules...I'd also really love the option to be able to select the topic category as a filter, as in the Amazon.com capsules.

And I'd really, really love to have Buy it Now items included, as I recall somebody brought up in the forums once.  BIN stuff sells better for some product groups than others (I mean, if I were a small business owner, I'd rather not compete in auction when I'm buying a case of packing peanuts, not unless it started super-low, and if I were the seller, I couldn't survive starting my Biodegradable Super-Premium Styrofoam Packing Cashews at a low-low price.)

I've just realized I should have started this whole thread in the Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature Forum.  Only it actually belongs in the Report a Good Thing and Suggest a New Feature, Too forum...

7. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

I wish that in addition to getting paid per ad clicks or paid per affiliate sales, that we were also paid per view. Other than that, though, I'm very happy here and having a good time writing and meeting other hubbers.

I have kind of a love/hate thing going with my hub score, even though mine's pretty high. I hate that I'm a bit obsessed with it, but I love that it keeps me motivated to write quality hubs. I'd love it even more if I could reach 100! :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)